Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

• 09-05-2012 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Woke up to a text:

The board regret to announce that the golf club will close immediately. A formal statement will be issued to shareholders and creditors in due course. See website for further details.

I have checked the website but it seems to be the same as normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

What happens to your GUI etc if s county is your home club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

ForeRight wrote: »

No offence but Gui is the last thing on my mind and I am sure all members minds. Can't believe it. I am only a member since January and there was a great club feel to the place. there are hundreds of guys who are members years who have played there week in week out, and I'm sure it's gonna be like a death in the familly for them.
    My thoughts are with all those guys today.
    I was getting the clubs ready last night for a practice round this evening:(

Link lucky we got those nine in on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

scubapro wrote: »
    No offence but Gui is the last thing on my mind and I am sure all members minds. Can't believe it. I am only a member since January and there was a great club feel to the place. there are hundreds of guys who are members years who have played there week in week out, and I'm sure it's gonna be like a death in the familly for them.

If I'd known this was going to happen I would have played on.

It's a great shame - I was thoroughly enjoying it there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

Devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Terrible shame - I really liked the course. Hopefully, for the members and all golfers, it will have a chance to bounce back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

scubapro wrote: »
    ForeRight wrote: »

No offence taken as I am a member too!

I can't change the situation in anyway so I would just like to know what happens in situations like this that's all.

I know for a fact that they still took new memberships off people only a couple of weeks ago and imagine how them lads feel after shelling out when they wake up to a text at 620 am saying club is closed with immediate effect!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Really sorry to hear that news. Really liked the place

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

thats some kick in the teeth. Was their even a hint it was in trouble???:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

What? Find this hard to believe. Played the course a couple of times late 2010 and early 2011 with the views of joining. Good quality greens and very nice practice facilities on hand so it was a serious consideration at the time. A busy and very welcoming club and found the general manager there to be very professional and gave one of the better introductions to a prospective member I've come across. Clubhouse was moderately sized with good food at reasonable prices on hand so everything appeared to be well run.

It's a pretty established club with a largish member base I thought so don't understand why they'd close. Are they in serious financial difficulty or anyone know the reasons why they would close? My sympathies to all concerned and hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Yikes that shorrible. I had a voucher to use for a round there but thats nothing compared to lads that were members.

Always thought they had a solid membership, must have been run horribly.

How big was the membership lads?

• Advertisement

FANTAPANTS wrote: »
    thats some kick in the teeth. Was their even a hint it was in trouble???:(:(:(

I was up there on Sunday and Monday and certainly had no inclination.

A few of the more established/long term members might be able to give a better answer but everything seemed to be going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

When I first got the text it did occur to me that it was some sort of a hacking hoax, but I've had it confirmed it's 100% genuine and appears to be as final as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ipitydafool

Yeah i find it hard to fathom how it could just close like this out of the blue. I am not a member but played up there about half a dozen times last year and really liked the place. Granted most of the days i played were a Saturday or bank holiday but the place was always busy and the clubhouse very welcoming. From what little I know of the structure of the club, set up with members as shareholders in a company and then a board of directors you would think there would at least have been an EGM if the financials were that badly in trouble. I mean they were accepting full payment for members a few weeks ago, I'm sure there is society bookings with deposits down for the year etc, something doesn't seem right that it could close like that. I feel really bad for the posters here who are members and I hope you have some recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

There was an email sent out a few months back saying that they had met with the banks and had secured finance based on a new business plan and that the club was secure for the foreseeable future. That did make me think at the time if all was well, I've been playing there regularly at least 3 times a week and have spoken to many established members and at no time was there any inkling of what was to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

When I first got the text it did occur to me that it was some sort of a hacking hoax, but I've had it confirmed it's 100% genuine and appears to be as final as it sounds.

There's the last ray of hope gone. Due to play today. Sub was 1689 and paid it a month ago.

Happy 1000th post Whyner

Thing is, don't really like any other course within the same distance and SC was a bit a drive anyway.

Ah we'll sort it out, Open comps here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Whyner wrote: »
    There's the last ray of hope gone. Due to play today. Sub was 1689 and paid it a month ago.

Happy 1000th post Whyner

Thing is, don't really like any other course within the same distance and SC was a bit a drive anyway.

Gutted for you Mate

Happy 1000th post Whyner

Whyner, that is a pain in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Happy 1000th post Whyner

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

They have been actively campaigning for new members up until very recently, they must have been aware well before today that this was a possibility. Bad form getting money out of people so soon before this happening. The management must have had a good idea how much trouble they were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Heard the news this morning. Called a couple of long time members. No indication this was going to happen. There does not seem to be any indication if its in receivership, administration or liquidation according to them. It does sound very.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Joined a few weeks ago and hadn't even got out for a round yet. I wonder is that some sort of record, 1k for zero holes of golf :(

Would be grateful to hear from anyone with experience of similar happening whether the GUI handicap will remain valid for the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Sorry to hear that for any members. Terrible situation.

Is it definitely true then ? I've been googling away trying to find details but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

How big was the membership lads?

According to the list of player names on HowDidIDo there are 682 male members and 118 female members. Now granted a certain proportion of those will be full 7 day members with the remainder being 5 day members, junior, juvenile and student members but either way it's a large player base.

The club was founded in 2002 so given the large player base and the fact that the membership subscription is rather expensive I just can't see how it couldn't be a viable ongoing concern. Closing the doors and letting the course grow to ruin is never going to repay any possible debts.

The notification of the immediate closure of the course just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

As an ex-member I'm devastated by this news. I loved the course and the club and only left because I was moving abroad. I was hoping to play it later this year when I visited home. Really gutted for the members.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ipitydafool

According to the list of player names on HowDidIDo there are 682 male members and 118 female members. Now granted a certain proportion of those will be full 7 day members with the remainder being 5 day members, junior, juvenile and student members but either way it's a large player base.

The club was founded in 2002 so given the large player base and the fact that the membership subscription is rather expensive I just can't see how it couldn't be a viable ongoing concern. Closing the doors and letting the course grow to ruin is never going to repay any possible debts.

The notification of the immediate closure of the course just doesn't make sense.

Yeah I mean if you average the sub at a 1000 euros across the categories then you have up on 800k a year from subs alone to help in the costs of running the club. If the fact that the longer term members didnt even know anything makes it even more strange.

The club was founded in 2002 so given the large player base and the fact that the membership subscription is rather expensive I just can't see how it couldn't be a viable ongoing concern..

I think they do have a history of financial trouble though, anecdotally at least, even going back to the time of them opening.
    I thought they were back on the straight and narrow in the last few years though. Didn't they have a deal last year where the fee was "fixed" for 7 years or something like that ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Happy 1000th post Whyner

Snakey wrote: »
    Joined a few weeks ago and hadn't even got out for a round yet. I wonder is that some sort of record, 1k for zero holes of golf :(

Would be grateful to hear from anyone with experience of similar happening whether the GUI handicap will remain valid for the year?

Ahh lads, gutted for ye. That's shocking news.

Posts like this always remind me why I will, and always will, pay my sub monthly no matter what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

There has been a lot of issues lately regarding the fees charged to shareholder members and the fees being advertised to new members. A large number of shareholder members have left the club recently including a number of ex-captains. There has been views exspressed by certain members that the board were trying to force out the shareholders, the same shareholders that dipped into their own pockets when the club was in financial difficulty. I am devastated that the club has closed but am lucky that I decided to pay by direct debit at the start of the year. Its a great club with some great golf people in it and I know I have made some friends for life there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

This might be a stupid suggestion, but if you paid with your credit card, would that leave you any comeback? They cover against anything you buy which is not received as described. You paid for 12 months membership and only received 1 month? Might be worth a phonecall. I've made a few claims from VISA over the years and they always lived up to this cover. My laser is VISA too.

newport2 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid suggestion, but if you paid with your credit card, would that leave you any comeback? They cover against anything you buy which is not received as described. You paid for 12 months membership and only received 1 month? Might be worth a phonecall. I've made a few claims from VISA over the years and they always lived up to this cover. My laser is VISA too.

Good point, I got almost all of my sub from Total Fitness refunded by mastercard when Total Fitness shut down last year as I had paid by cr card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Lad if any of you paid by Credit Card or Visa Debit id be getting on to the company quick smart

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement