Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lads can we stop with the rumours and allegations please.
    Any more comments about anyone or any company will result in this thread being deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

TanD wrote: »
    As an ex employee of Scgc this makes me very sad to hear. My friends and collegues have all lost their jobs today. No offense to any of you worrying about your handicaps but take a look at the bigger picture - this is a sad day for SCGC members and its employees!
    To be fair members here are looking at every picture. You cannot say sympathy has not been given for the employees of the club here. Have a read back.

For me it was the first thing i thought of was them turning up to a locked gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chuckieamc

ForeRight wrote: »
    Same for me mate. Club handicap sec told me 6 months guaranteed. GUI say that's not the case. Either way I can't help but feel extremely angry at the whole thing.

I played there yesterday and all was normal. Work being done all over the course, everything in great nick, people up in the bar, pro shop running away normally, ladies comp was on and then wake up to a text message today saying thanks for your money all the best!!!

Someone knew this was coming so this is disgraceful behaviour or Managment from somebody or a number of people IMO.

What was all that nonsense on the website only a few weeks back telling everyone that the clubs future was secure etc etc.

Either way even if the club opens back up tomorrow it will be the last sub I ever pay to s county. I completely understand that these things happen unfortunately and I feel for the staff but somebody up there knew all along that this was coming but anyone I have spoke to was oblivious and shocked this morning!

Totally oblivious indeed! I joined as a lady member back in November and didn't even get the famous text. I had yet to get to know many members so feel very in the dark about what is going on. Are there any members on here who would be willing to forward me any correspondence/texts either via PM or text as I seem to not be on their mailing lists?

chuckieamc wrote: »
    Totally oblivious indeed! I joined as a lady member back in November and didn't even get the famous text. I had yet to get to know many members so feel very in the dark about what is going on. Are there any members on here who would be willing to forward me any correspondence/texts either via PM or text as I seem to not be on their mailing lists?

I should say even more in the dark, as everyone seems to be in teh dark about this other than the company directors!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

ForeRight wrote: »
    Same for me mate. Club handicap sec told me 6 months guaranteed. GUI say that's not the case. Either way I can't help but feel extremely angry at the whole thing.

I played there yesterday and all was normal. Work being done all over the course, everything in great nick, people up in the bar, pro shop running away normally, ladies comp was on and then wake up to a text message today saying thanks for your money all the best!!!

Someone knew this was coming so this is disgraceful behaviour or Managment from somebody or a number of people IMO.

What was all that nonsense on the website only a few weeks back telling everyone that the clubs future was secure etc etc.

Either way even if the club opens back up tomorrow it will be the last sub I ever pay to s county. I completely understand that these things happen unfortunately and I feel for the staff but somebody up there knew all along that this was coming but anyone I have spoke to was oblivious and shocked this morning!

The only text is the one originally posted at the beginning of this thread.
    No phones answered at the club today and the only other club position statement is the one in the website I'm afraid.

I got the text but I'm still as in the dark as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Apart from the text (which I included first post on the first page) and the notice which can be seen on the website, I don't think there has been any further official correspondance.

link_2007 wrote: »
    Apart from the text (which I included first post on the first page) and the notice which can be seen on the website, I don't think there has been any further official correspondance.

ok, thanks link2007. Its all so horriby frustrating, had the clubs packed in to the car to go up and hit a few balls after work today. The loss of my sub is a big deal, but still thinking a lot about the folks who lost jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 9 emac123

what a joke, cant believe it, was looking forward to the medal on sunday too! thoughts are with the staff and especially raymie today, could be left with a lot of expensive stock gathering dust

ok, thanks link2007. Its all so horriby frustrating, had the clubs packed in to the car to go up and hit a few balls after work today. The loss of my sub is a big deal, but still thinking a lot about the folks who lost jobs
    Here here. We are all entitled to feel aggrieved about our memberships so don't feel so bad for thinking like that along with the loss of employment.

I suppose at the moment the worst thing is being in the dark about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

Heard over the weekend that a club not to far from me is in serious trouble and has no money left to pay wages from the end of june ..hope this is not the start of a lot of clubs folding

• Advertisement

emac123 wrote: »
    what a joke, cant believe it, was looking forward to the medal on sunday too! thoughts are with the staff and especially raymie today, could be left with a lot of expensive stock gathering dust
    Not to mention equipment put on membership accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 emac123

disastrous situation all round unfortunately. You'd never know, it could sort itself out. wont hold my breath though

emac123 wrote: »
    disastrous situation all round unfortunately. You'd never know, it could sort itself out. wont hold my breath though
    Here's hoping...

http://golfcoursesireland.blogspot.com/2011_12_01_archive.html

ohhhhh....don't be going getting my hopes up!

ohhhhh....don't be going getting my hopes up!
    :D
    I'll take anything positive!!!!

Expect an article in the indo tomorrow too; I just had Liam Kelly their golf guy ring me looking for any information - had to tell him I was learning everything I knew on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Birdie Machine

no but heard they guards on the gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

As an ex employee of Scgc this makes me very sad to hear. My friends and collegues have all lost their jobs today. No offense to any of you worrying about your handicaps but take a look at the bigger picture - this is a sad day for SCGC members and its employees!
    Hi Tan,

I'm with you. I texted Raymie to pass on my best wishes to him and the rest of the staff. Americano & Purple Snack😉

thegen wrote: »
    Hi Tan,

I'm with you. I texted Raymie to pass on my best wishes to him and the rest of the staff. Americano & Purple Snack😉
    Any word from the ordinary staff there like Raymie? Are they still in the dark about it all?

I just cannot imagine this not getting resolved one way or another. Not sure what implications having examiners running the place will have on current staff. I really do pray a solution that suits all can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

no but heard they guards on the gate
    Drove past at six o'clock. The gate was open and definitely no guards there.

• Advertisement

Nip in for 9 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Any word from the ordinary staff there like Raymie? Are they still in the dark about it all?

I just cannot imagine this not getting resolved one way or another. Not sure what implications having examiners running the place will have on current staff. I really do pray a solution that suits all can be found.

Board have handled this like amateurs, from a ****ty text to the statement on the website. Their reluctance to share any info with the members and look for input in working out a solution was disgraceful. I do hope one of them is reading this thread and might reply, they could even register as Morgan Fletcher or use another alias!

thegen wrote: »
    Board have handled this like amateurs, from a ****ty text to the statement on the website. Their reluctance to share any info with the members and look for input in working out a solution was disgraceful. I do hope one of them is reading this thread and might reply, they could even register as Morgan Fletcher or use another alias!
    Some chance. Bottlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

I also sent Raymie a text this morning when I had it confirmed that the text wasn't a hoax. I really hope he gets sorted & isn't landed with having to cover the cost of all the stock he had in the shop. I assume he, rather than the club, owned the pro shop contents?

I also sent Raymie a text this morning when I had it confirmed that the text wasn't a hoax. I really hope he gets sorted & isn't landed with having to cover the cost of all the stock he had in the shop. I assume he, rather than the club, owned the pro shop contents?
    Yeah thats my understanding. He leases the unit and stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Nip in for 9 :eek:
    Activity there at the moment. There's a car and lorry driving up to the clubhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BeccaS

Thanks Tan!

Attn Members:

Would it be worth our while calling an EGM at the club. Staff of SCGC and its members deserve more information. The course is closed until further notice is totally unacceptable. The board have allowed this to happen without input from the members. It time for us to act.

Attn Members:

Would it be worth our while calling an EGM at the club. Staff of SCGC and its members deserve more information. The course is closed until further notice is totally unacceptable. The board have allowed this to happen without input from the members. It time for us to act.

I'm in. I gather from comments on here that there is a committee meeting tomorrow night?
    In some potentially heartening news, I heard that concra wood in Monaghan closed last week for a similar issue and was open a few days later under new management.
    Though the moving out of equipment is worrying....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Hot off the press

Dear Jason,

As landlords to the South County Golf Club Limited and in the pursuance of clause 7 of lease entered into 8/11/2000, we are advising all said members that we have taken possession of the facilities until further notice because of the actions and abandonment by the company and its directors.

We advise members of the club that they are welcome to play golf as usual subject to rules and regulations and the Golfing Union of Ireland. Presently the bar and restaurant will remain closed but we have agreed with the Club Professional to leave the Pro shop open.

Landlords,

John & Patrick Kavanagh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement