Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

dvpower wrote: »
    ... and maybe a figure for the amounts that priests and religious have drawn down in salaries from the Dept. of Education for jobs that they didn't have to compete for to get.

....and deduct the value of the land that was provided by the religious etc etc etc. Like it or not, it's total rubbish to suggest that the tax payer paid 100% of the cost of establishing our primary and secondary education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

prinz wrote: »
    Then your point is redundant, have a read of my post that you responded to and point out anything that is false... it's plainly there who traditionally provided the lands, paid towards building costs, contributed to running costs... and guess what? It was the church. Only in recent years has that started to change. So comments like...

"recent years"....?

National/primary has been locally and state funded since its inception in the early 1800's, to the best of my knowledge, whatever about secondary 'voluntaries'.

We're talking about a teenage mother being refused schooling now, by the way.

....and deduct the value of the land that was provided by the religious etc etc etc. .....

...then adjust for the shortfall in abuse payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Sound great and all, but don't actually reflect the reality of the history of our national school system.

HA HA I give precisely zero f*cks about the history :)

These so-called Christian schools are funded by the state and are being judgemental pricks to single mothers.

Nodin wrote: »
    "recent years"....?

Did you read it yourself?
    New arrangements were introduced in 1999.

Maybe you missed that bit.
    We're talking about a teenage mother being refused schooling now, by the way.

Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Yes, because everything must be financialized..!

HA HA I give precisely zero f*cks about the history :).

I thought as much. No suprise you'd be so very wrong then is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

This is very strange. I can't believe any teacher/principal would behave in this way. I went to a Catholic school, we had girls who were pregnant in school with us, they stayed and sat their exams with no problem, just support. This was in mid-90's so it wasn't the dark ages and it wasn't recently either.

What I would like to know is how much say the teachers in the school have with regard to this... the principal sounds like a complete autocrat and it must be hell to work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

....and deduct the value of the land that was provided by the religious etc etc etc.

and add the land and money that was donated by ordinary people to the church specifically for the provision of education services ... its not as if it was sent over by head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I thought as much. No suprise you'd be so very wrong then is it?

But, I'm not wrong lol.:pac:

Why should I care that they own the land? Seriously. They're biggots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Jogathon wrote: »
    This is very strange. I can't believe any teacher/principal would behave in this way. I went to a Catholic school, we had girls who were pregnant in school with us, they stayed and sat their exams with no problem, just support. This was in mid-90's so it wasn't the dark ages and it wasn't recently either.

What I would like to know is how much say the teachers in the school have with regard to this... the principal sounds like a complete autocrat and it must be hell to work there.

people don't seem to grasp that different schools have different admission policies, catholic or not. this particular school had a policy that they didn't want to admit pregnant teenagers who had already dropped out of two schools. they have a certain standard and that's their choice.

dosen't mean that all catholic schools have the same policy, i'm sure the teenager got accepted to another catholic school in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

omega666 wrote: »
    people don't seem to grasp that different schools have different admission policies, catholic or not. this particular school had a policy that they didn't want to admit pregnant teenagers who had already dropped out of two schools. they have a certain standard and that's their choice.

dosen't mean that all catholic schools have the same policy, i'm sure the teenager got accepted to another catholic school in the end.

So if a school has a 'no blacks' policy you are okay with that? Nice one.

Tbh I can't get my head around a school being founded, owned and managed by one person. Surely to get state funding the Department would have insisted on decent separation of powers, corporate governance etc.

People grasp this very well, and find it unacceptable.

We've no idea what their admissions policy is, because they have none defined that we can tell.

No mention of "dropped out" was made.

Are you saying that somebody having a child is "below" some standard or other? If so, what standard would that be?

You never got back to me on this earlier either....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78426295&postcount=367

Did you read it yourself?

Maybe you missed that bit.

You're stating that state funding started for voluntary secondaries in 1999?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Somehow I think - if the circumstances demanded it - I could have made the point without mentioning "career scumbag", "drug gang" "pyromaniac psycopath" etc. In fact I'm fairly positive. It looks like an attempt to undermine or blacken one of the parties to me. Why, I have no idea.

You still haven't explained why somebody can't make a presumption/assumption, based on the principals correspondence released by the Ombudsman in the report.

I have. i said it doesn't give all the facts necessary. I've said it many times. Why would i want to undermine or blacken anyones name? I have no stake in this.

You're stating that state funding started for voluntary secondaries in 1999?

No. Please read the link I provided of you want to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Did you miss the posts that explained that this school didn't have a written admissions policy? It was one man making it up as he went along, seemingly on a case by case basis.

And even it was written in an admissions policy, many people still would not find it acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭emo72

one thing i noticed. its always the same old pricks arguing on controversial threads. do i need to list the names. obviously they have no lifes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

We've no idea what their admissions policy is, because they have none defined that we can tell.

No mention of "dropped out" was made.

Are you saying that somebody having a child is "below" some standard or other? If so, what standard would that be?

You never got back to me on this earlier either....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78426295&postcount=367

mention of made in the article of being enroled in 2 schools previously..

The standard of not being a single teenage mother. Like it or not it not an
    desireable or normal suitation to be in.

i missed your earlier post, the point i was making is i pay my tax's the same as you and have no problem with funding of these types of schools. judging by the aparent popularity of the school it seems the local tax paying community are in agreement.

mention of made in the article of being enroled in 2 schools previously...

"dropped out" has a negative connotation.
    The standard of not being a single teenage mother. Like it or not it not an
    desireable or normal suitation to be in. ...

It is not a criminal offence, however. It is not desirable or normal to be confined to a wheelchair either, are you saying that is "below" some standard.
    i missed your earlier post, the point i was making is i pay my tax's the same as you and have no problem with funding of these types of schools.

Why would you? They don't discriminate against anyone and have good records.
    judging by the aparent popularity of the school it seems the local tax paying community are in agreement.

Some undoubtedly are. However we all pay towards it, and we all aren't happy at its discriminatory policies.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I have. i said it doesn't give all the facts necessary...........

It gives the principals position, rather bluntly stated. Again - why can't somebody make a presumption/assumption, based on the principals correspondence released by the Ombudsman in the report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I did find a certain irony in the words of the Childrens Ombudsman describing this 16 year old as '' a child '' - seems to me she wants it both ways - be a ' grown-up ' with a baby ( and doubtless an entitlement to all manner of state benefits ) and yet wants to be seen as a downtrodden ' child ' - whats it to be then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Delancey wrote: »
    I did find a certain irony in the words of the Childrens Ombudsman describing this 16 year old as '' a child '' - seems to me she wants it both ways - be a ' grown-up ' with a baby ( and doubtless an entitlement to all manner of state benefits ) and yet wants to be seen as a downtrodden ' child ' - whats it to be then ?

In the eyes of the law 16 is a child. Certain benefits are given to under 18's. OPFA and some disability payments are paid directly to the claimant.

That's an awful lot of assumption in just one sentence.

I usually find it breaks down the rights/responsibilities line. You want all the rights of an adult, but when it comes to shouldering the responsibilies ah sure you're just a child. You'll see the same with a lot of hard men about town, who turn back into boys when it comes to the courtroom.

My patience is really sorely tested by some of the crap here...
    I did find a certain irony in the words of the Childrens Ombudsman describing this 16 year old as '' a child '' - ?

Legally thats what she is. A minor.
    seems to me she wants it both ways - be a ' grown-up ' with a baby ( and doubtless an entitlement to all manner of state benefits ) and yet wants to be seen as a downtrodden ' child ' - whats it to be then ?

Theres been no mention of benefits whatsoever.

Theres been no statement from the child, whatsoever.

So far, all we know is that she wants to go to secondary school, which would put her as acting like a reasonably adjusted minor.

Therefore I have to ask - what - exactly and precisely - led to you stating "seems to me".

• Advertisement

No. Please read the link I provided of you want to discuss it.

I have no idea what you're on about. State has always part funded the national /primaries. The only question is to when they started paying towards the secondary schools which are/were church run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement