Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

omega666 wrote: »
    I find it funny that people here bitch and moan about separating religion from normal schools, suggesting there should be allocated catholic schools for anyone that wants a religious teaching.
    So here we have one of those schools set up for and maining a specific ethos who have an admission policy to uphold this ethos and
    people are still complaining because they wouldn’t accept everyone.

Let’s face it, this is just another thinly veiled rant by the 6% to try get religion abolished from all schools even if these types of schools are wanted by the local tax paying community.

And I might add that not everybody who would self identify as 'catholic' would agree that refusing a pupil in (1) that manner or (2) for those reasons, was in line with their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Nodin wrote: »
    The school gets state funding. When its utterly privately funded, then it can do what it wants.

The state funding which including my tax's and all those pople who want these type of schools tax's.

Maybe i should object to my tax going to fund Educate Together National School.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

hondasam wrote: »
    Have you any idea the amount of teenage pregnancy in Ireland? Lots of schools have pregnant mothers attending every day.

So you admit there is a problem with teenage pregnancy in Ireland.

Just because loads of mothers attend school every day normalises it, there is still the underlying problem of why it is happening so much, could be self esteem & self respect issues.

Why not address the issue of why there is so many teenage pregnancies, instead of wanting to pretend it's not a problem?

MagicSean wrote: »

They have been elsewhere. It didn't take long.

C'est la vie. It's hardly reason not to highlight this kind of thing. In fact, a cult of secrecy is perhaps the last thing we need to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I find it funny that people here bitch and moan about separating religion from normal schools, suggesting there should be allocated catholic schools for anyone that wants a religious teaching.
    So here we have one of those schools set up for and maining a specific ethos who have an admission policy to uphold this ethos and
    people are still complaining because they wouldn’t accept everyone.

Let’s face it, this is just another thinly veiled rant by the 6% to try get religion abolished from all schools even if these types of schools are wanted by the local tax paying community.

I'm not aware of any alternative to a Catholic school in her area, so chances are she had no choice but to apply to a school which espouses such an ethos.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have access to an Educate Together school. I've enrolled my son in one, but it's Primary only. I'm hoping they get enough funding to set up a secondary, but if not, I'll have no choice but to send him to a religion-based school, even though we're not followers of any religion.

• Advertisement

The state funding which including my tax's and all those pople who want these type of schools tax's.

Maybe i should object to my tax going to fund Educate Together National School.

Who is being barred from education in an "Educate Together" school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

micropig wrote: »
    could be self esteem & self respect issues.

More likely horny teenagers, for all we know it could be the only time she had sex.

Actually the reasons only say she could not settle. This could easily mean she was being bullied or she was a pyromaniac psychopath. Although maybe I missed the actual reasons if you say they are there.

Well if she dropped out because she got involved with a violent drug dealing gang the principal would be right to use any means to keep her out of his school. If she dropped out for some other reason such as depression then he would be wrong to exclude her.

You wouldn't think that if you had a child in the school and the new girl sitting beside her had a very dark past. .

Just to clarify - we do live in a country where the legal tradition indicates that guilt - not innocence - must be proved?

I find your remarks as regards the Ombudsman disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Self esteem issues? FFS! I know why I wanted sex as a teenager and it had nothing to do with self esteem issues!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm not aware of any alternative to a Catholic school in her area, so chances are she had no choice but to apply to a school which espouses such an ethos.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have access to an Educate Together school. I've enrolled my son in one, but it's Primary only. I'm hoping they get enough funding to set up a secondary, but if not, I'll have no choice but to send him to a religion-based school, even though we're not followers of any religion.

What area are you in?
    If you don't wish to say openly, thats ok.
    The linked report that I provided (HERE again), states the following:
    Meanwhile Minister Quinn has said that the multi-denominational Educate Together will be confirmed as patrons to a second-level school next month. The minister has praised the organisation for its contribution to Irish education as an agent for change and innovation.
    The Minister is due to receive recommendations from the expert group on patronage for second level schools scheduled to be opened in the next three years. Educate Together has applied to open second level schools in Drogheda, Greystones, Tyrellstown/Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown and Lusk.

I know from taking an active role in the Org that there will be more coming soon also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Other catholic schools have no problem with pregnant/single mothers, I think this is his attitude and his only, ie the Principle.

could be self esteem & self respect issues.

More likely horny teenagers, for all we know it could be the only time she had sex.

For all we know she could have been **** (insert word to suit agenda)

The issue I have with this case is she has a place in education. She had a home tutor (which many children with extra special needs are not provided with), she expects the school to change it's ethos to suit her because she wants to go there' and she will probably get compensated.

Will my primary school enrol me? No, because I'm too old. Is this ageist?
    Will a muslim school enrol me? No because I don't subscribe to their ethos, so why would I kick up a fuss when they refuse me?

A lot of people don't seem to realise the fallout for a lot of children. When they children get older, they suffer insecurity and abandonment issues. This can express itself by the child being disruptive in schools and being labelled bad by teachers.

Does this school have counsellors trained to counsel the girl and provide extra emotional support to her? Does it have the facilities to support her? Is it the best school in the area for her educational needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Biggins wrote: »
    What area are you in?
    If you don't wish to say openly, thats ok.
    The linked report that I provided (HERE again), states the following:

I know from taking an active role in the Org that there will be more coming soon also.

I'm in Waterford City and although they are desperately trying to fund a secondary school for some time, still no joy.

The little fella's not starting until 2014, so I'm hopeful that by the time he's ready to start secondary, there'll be an Educate Together option there for him then.

....it is odd that, considering human nature, the 'hormones' of puberty, and the evolutionary imperative to reproduce, people need to still wonder why teenagers 'get pregnant'.

Self esteem issues? FFS! I know why I wanted sex as a teenager and it had nothing to do with self esteem issues!

Of course all teenagers will try and get sex, but not all got pregnant;)

Self esteem & self respect issues: Not caring to protect yourself properly, believing you get pregnant standing up/first time/withdrawal.., not caring about your sexual health (disease and pregnancy), wanting to be the popular one/impress the opposite sex/your friends...lots of things

Did her parents know/suspect she was sexually active? Did they bring her to the doctor for contraception?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most schools are catholic, so they have bad sex education classes,
    don,t give out proper information on condoms ,contraception.
    This is partly the reason for high rates of teenage pregnancy.
    When we get the church out of most schools ,we,ll be better off .
    For the last 5 years i,ve been hearing ,the church is thinking of placing some schools into government control, maybe they are waiting for the older priests to die.
    IF a school recieves 95 per cent government funding ,it has no right to
    discriminate against an irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

For all we know she could have been **** (insert word to suit agenda)

The issue I have with this case is she has a place in education. She had a home tutor (which many children with extra special needs are not provided with), she expects the school to change it's ethos to suit her because she wants to go there' and she will probably get compensated.

Will my primary school enrol me? No, because I'm too old. Is this ageist?
    Will a muslim school enrol me? No because I don't subscribe to their ethos, so why would I kick up a fuss when they refuse me?

A lot of people don't seem to realise the fallout for a lot of children. When they children get older, they suffer insecurity and abandonment issues. This can express itself by the child being disruptive in schools and being labelled bad by teachers.

Does this school have counsellors trained to counsel the girl and provide extra emotional support to her? Does it have the facilities to support her? Is it the best school in the area for her educational needs?

Are you an adult? I can't believe you would attack a child having an education. Where do you get the idea she needs extra support? The ombudsman was on the radio today and said she is very happy in her new school so one would guess she has settled in well, no issues to speak of.

I am just amazed that you would constantly begrudge a girl who has a baby the chance to make a life for herself. God I am really really shocked. I wasn't much older and also at school when I got pregnant but thankfully I was met with nothing but kindness and support. I wasn't looking to be treated any differently to anyone else just treated the same, allowed to get on with it and do my best.

Because of that support I am where I am today and have been able to give my teenager the best I can.

Where exactly is the issue in allowing someone else the chance to do the same?

riclad wrote: »
    Most schools are catholic, so they have bad sex education classes,
    don,t give out proper information on condoms ,contraception.
    This is partly the reason for high rates of teenage pregnancy.

Ironic really that she's fighting because she didn't get it to one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

So they won't let you have an abortion but won't educate you either.
    "If you are pre-born, you are fine. If you pre-school, you are f'd."

Of course all teenagers will try and get sex, but not all got pregnant;)

Self esteem & self respect issues: Not caring to protect yourself properly, believing you get pregnant standing up/first time/withdrawal.., not caring about your sexual health (disease and pregnancy), wanting to be the popular one/impress the opposite sex/your friends...lots of things

Did her parents know/suspect she was sexually active. Did they bring her to the doctor for contraception?

No, not all do. Most are lucky, even when they do stupid things. Not everyone is. What you're saying has very little to do with self esteem or self respect. It has, however, everything to do with how you esteem and respect this individual (or rather don't). Her parents are largely irrelevant here as teenagers who want to have sex will do so, with or without their parents' support or consent or, for the vast majority, knowledge. Simple fact is that by later adolescence, parents have to cooperate with their children, rather than hoping to issue diktats, and the children are going to be largely self-reliant because that's how people work and move away from absolute parental control. It's both normal and important that this be the case, but the world's not perfect, and everyone has learning experiences. For some, it's getting too drunk and ending up puking your ring. For others, they get pregnant, or suffer injuries, or a multitude of other things that just happen because that's what we are as a species. Hoping to change that, well, you might as well try hold back the sea with a broom. Being condescending however only illustrates ignorance of all of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Actually the reasons only say she could not settle. This could easily mean she was being bullied or she was a pyromaniac psychopath. Although maybe I missed the actual reasons if you say they are there.

We know the mechanics, not the circumstances.

Well if she dropped out because she got involved with a violent drug dealing gang the principal would be right to use any means to keep her out of his school. If she dropped out for some other reason such as depression then he would be wrong to exclude her.

You wouldn't think that if you had a child in the school and the new girl sitting beside her had a very dark past. Like i said, we have no idea of the full circumstances of the situation. The Ombudsman released only the information she wanted. I think this was wrong. In fact, I think publicising the case at all was wrong and I don't see the rationale for it.
    The report also says she had friends in School A, so its not unreasonable that she would want to be with them, givin the circumstances.

There is, of course, no suggestion of her being bullied, or being a pyromaniac psychopath or being a violent drug dealer or having depression or her having a dark past.
    These are all just part of your own fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

They have been (named) elsewhere. It didn't take long.

Thats the Ombudsmans fault tbh. If she really wanted to protect the child she wouldn't have gone public over it or at least as public with as much detail about the school as possible (Like how many schools in munster have the founder, principal and patron as one person?!)

She wanted the school named but didn't want to do it herself which is cowardly. She is using the media to put pressure in a situation where she has no more legal right to exert it than I do. This post carries as much legal weight as her protestations.

eviltwin wrote: »

Are you an adult? I can't believe you would attack a child having an education. Where do you get the idea she needs extra support? The ombudsman was on the radio today and said she is very happy in her new school so one would guess she has settled in well, no issues to speak of.

Where exactly is the issue in allowing someone else the chance to do the same?

So, after having a baby she is the same emotionally as the other girls who haven't? Staying up half the night with a crying baby and hormones raging would ensure this.

Oh and she suddenly knows how to care for a child.

I don't deny her an education. She was receiving one in another school.

She wanted the other school because her friends where there. Shouldn't she be focussing on her education? her friends will not be by her side when she leaves school and she'll have to cope without them then.

I take it you are not a parent Micropig or if you are you have very young children.

When you have a teenager you can instruct and guide but part of being a teen is rebelling and taking chances. Most get away with it and never have any long term damage done some don't. This girl is no different to the teen who tries drugs and od's or the teen who gets into a car with a drunk driver who crashes. Some do the same and live to tell the tail, some don't

I don't know this girl or her family, we can try and guess the family setup but most parents do try and teach their kids about safety...but teens are teens, not adults and they can't be expected to act like adults.

How many of us here have done stupid things in our teens? Probably most of us? Maybe you were some kind of robot but most people live in the real world. Try joining us sometime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

luckyfrank wrote: »
    school kids shouldnt really be getting pregnant

:rolleyes:

and teenage boys shouldn't be getting erections

So, after having a baby she is the same emotionally as the other girls who haven't? Staying up half the night with a crying baby and hormones raging would ensure this.

She wanted the other school because her friends where there. Shouldn't she be focussing on her education? her friends will not be by her side when she leaves school and she'll have to cope without them then.

Look. All you're saying boils down to the fact that you think she doesn't deserve as normal an adolescence as possible, due to her circumstances. If any other child wanted to be in a school with their friends, it wouldn't be a problem, but for her, it is. Unless of course you truly believe that friends aren't important for anyone and they shouldn't bother having any in school because they won't be with them after school and they'll need to cope without them. Not, of course, that that's any more true for her than anyone else, for whom you presumably wouldn't begrudge the having of friends in school.

The school doesn't have to teach her parenting skills, there are other places that do that, other help and support for her regarding her new role as a mother. Her school only had the obligation to treat her with a bit of respect. Hopefully they will have a bit more humility if a similar situation arises in the future.

The school doesn't have to teach her parenting skills, there are other places that do that, other help and support for her regarding her new role as a mother. Her school only had the obligation to treat her with a bit of respect. Hopefully they will have a bit more humility if a similar situation arises in the future.

They will presumably have "humility" put upon them.
    Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn has said he was upset that the girl encountered what he described as clear discrimination.
    Speaking on RTÉ’s Drivetime, Mr Quinn said he planned to introduce legislation next year to put an enrolment policy framework on a statutory basis.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0430/teenage-girl-refused-school-place-over-pregnancy.html

I take it you are not a parent Micropig or if you are you have very young children.

When you have a teenager you can instruct and guide but part of being a teen is rebelling and taking chances. Most get away with it and never have any long term damage done some don't. This girl is no different to the teen who tries drugs and od's or the teen who gets into a car with a drunk driver who crashes. Some do the same and live to tell the tail, some don't

I don't know this girl or her family, we can try and guess the family setup but most parents do try and teach their kids about safety...but teens are teens, not adults and they can't be expected to act like adults.

How many of us here have done stupid things in our teens? Probably most of us? Maybe you were some kind of robot but most people live in the real world. Try joining us sometime.

Have you ever considered I work with the children who are products of broken relationships/ absent parents, and everyday I see how it effects them?

• Advertisement

Have you ever considered I work with the children who are products of broken relationships/ absent parents, and everyday I see how it effects them?

May the god I don't believe in help those children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement