Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Davidth88 wrote: »
    A report of a school not allowing a girl to enrol because she is pregnant has come to light.

"We do not take single young girls who are mothers. This is not a suitable school for such "

"This school is NOT a haven for young pregnant people or for young mothers"

This is a STATE funded school , all be it run by what seems to be a very single minded person.

http://www.oco.ie/assets/files/Complaint/OCOInvestigationretheactionsofSchoolA.pdf

IMO , such a person should not be running a school , really this has no place in a modern country , if we read about this in the Daily Fail in Afghanistan we would all be tutting over our cappucinos wouldn't we !!

I actually don't see anything wrong with this.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Biggins wrote: »
    O' for gods sake.
    If we start fearing the solicitor for everything we do or allow, we would be afraid to even step outside our doors for crying out loud!

Again, more daftness.
    for everything we do ? where does that idea come from?
    your own daftness ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

prinz wrote: »
    Ah yes, when someone else says it i'ts 'common sense and flexibility'. However when I raise concerns (which would lead to exactly the same approach which I think is best) with regard to pregnant girls in schools......amazeballs.
    Its not all about you Prinz

And, to be clear, what I categorised as 'common sense and flexibility' was how the school she did attend dealt with her, not what 'someone else' said.

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

When I was clear on that I said the principal was acting like a halfwit for refusing her a place.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78422592&postcount=274 Here.

Since then people have just being trying their best to get offended over nothing.

Thanks for the link. Have been doing my best to keep up with the thread but missed that post.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

paddyandy wrote: »
    It was STILL the right decision . We don't need a precedent; schools are cash-strapped enough as it is .
    What? You mean you can't identify 'massive litigation' costs. I'm amazed (not really).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

for everything we do ? where does that idea come from?
    your own daftness ..

Aaa... ok! :pac:
    I'm the one that's daft! LOL

Right... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

All this is moot as there is a world of difference between asking someone to stay at home for a few months for their own health and safety and another for a complete ban on that person being able to return to school because you don't agree with her decisions.

Quite frankly the time has come for this state to segregate religion (and by that i mean all religions) and education in terms of state funded schools.

Religion should be extra curricular to school. This '<insert religion here> ethos' argument is absolute nonsense and has no place in modern society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It was STILL the right decision . We don't need a precedent; schools are cash-strapped enough as it is .

Have you any idea the amount of teenage pregnancy in Ireland? Lots of schools have pregnant mothers attending every day.

...Religion should be extra curricular to school. This '<insert religion here> ethos' argument is absolute nonsense and has no place in modern society.

Thats EXACTLY what happens in the "Educate Together" school system.
    A system I am glad to say that my four kids are/will be going through presently and soon.
    The religions are optional extra curricular actives outside standard educational hours.
    Their system by the way, I'm also glad to say, is presently the fastest educational growing system in Ireland now and is being used as a basis for all other new schools presently in the future piple line.
    hondasam wrote: »
    Have you any idea the amount of teenage pregnancy in Ireland? Lots of schools have pregnant mothers attending every day.

I don't think he has an idea of a number of things - at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Bigtoe107 wrote: »
    This is retarded imo, a state funded school should not have the right to exclude any pupils based on some bull**** religious ethos. It's actually making me angry thinking how much sway and power the church still has in this country

Yes, the power and sway of some people who consider themselves to be the Church makes me angry too. Almost as angry as I get when people use 'retarded' as a derogatory term. That needs to change too.

hondasam wrote: »

+1. in the real world a job interviewer cant ask any discriminatory questions and one of the 9 grounds is regards to family, children, etc. The same rules should apply to schools....even private schools since private companies cant ask these questions.

No church has any right to preach morality

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Quite frankly the time has come for this state to segregate religion (and by that i mean all religions) and education in terms of state funded schools. Religion should be extra curricular to school..

Religious instruction in terms of particular religions should be, but religion (as in a bit of education about all the major world religions) should be kept on as a broader subject within school hours IMO, as part of a religion/philosophy/ethics subject.

Religious instruction in terms of particular religions should be, but religion (as in a bit of education about all the major world religions) should be kept on as a broader subject within school hours IMO, as part of a religion/philosophy/ethics subject.

Id go along with that and thats the way religion is pretty much thought these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Theology not doctrine is the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes Nodin dear..

Not often I hear (or read) that, it has to be said.
    Forgive me for having concerns for the safety of a pregnant teenager and that of her unborn, because teenagers in schools tend to be a rowdy bunch and personally I'd rather a young lady be safe than sorry. How pathetic of me.

Your concern looked to be to provide a defence for the school, rather than any concern for the young woman in question. Made odd, of course, by the fact she'd had the child by the time she'd applied the second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yes, the power and sway of some people who consider themselves to be the Church makes me angry too. Almost as angry as I get when people use 'retarded' as a derogatory term. That needs to change too.

re·tard   /rɪˈtɑrd, for 1–3, 5; ˈritɑrd for 4/ Show Spelled[ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] verb (used with object)
    1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.

Sounds like the perfect word for this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

micropig wrote: »
    Let's not get all hormonal here like 16 year old pregnant girls, At least I know how to use contraception and consider the life the child will have before bringing it in to the world.:p

Posters hear make me laugh

16 year old pregnant, hoping through 2/3 different schools..no problem, lets all bow to her needs, perfectly fine in this day and age, ignorance about how to avoid unwanted pregnancy is perfectly acceptable and widespread

1 school in the country doesn't want to take her in as it is against their ethos...well lets force the school to change their ethos and demand they let her in because she wants to go there

It's all the schools fault, where is her parents responsibility in this?

State is providing her with an education, if it's not the type of education her parents, are satisfied with, they should hire a tutor

I'll stop getting all hormonal like a 16 year old when you stop spelling like one. *insert smiley here*

No one's saying it's all the school's fault she's pregnant, it's simply their responsibility to educate her, not judge her.

As for parental responsibility, even the best parents can find themselves in situations they've warned their kids against. Teenagers have a funny thing called 'their own minds'.

Again, you have trouble understanding the concept of the non-perfect human.

The irony in all this is that if she had an abortion or used contraception, she'd be accepted into the school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Am i the one who finds it.....odd... a catholic ethos school, instilling the teachings of Christ in its students turning away a pregnant girls and refusing to give her an education.:confused:

• Advertisement

Am i the one who finds it.....odd... a catholic ethos school, instilling the teachings of Christ in its students turning away a pregnant girls and refusing to give her an education.:confused:

The Taliban do something similar too!
    I suspect a few posters here would be happy to sign up to their equally daft notions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Paparazzo wrote: »
    re·tard   /rɪˈtɑrd, for 1–3, 5; ˈritɑrd for 4/ Show Spelled[ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] verb (used with object)
    1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.

Sounds like the perfect word for this situation

It wasn't used in the literal sense here on this thread. It was used as a derogatory term, a term of insult, a term of abuse, a term that create division and inequality. It's the perfect word if you're out to insult people with intellectual disabilities and their families.

Also alot of people very harsh on the girl here. It was hardly an immaculate conception now. For every 'teenage girl who should keep her legs together' as people put it, there is a young fella (im assuming he is also a teenager) that should maybe 'keep it in the trousers' too.

How anyone can pontificate and judge these or any teenagers when they too had probably similar urges themselves during puberty is beyond me

Both kids at the end of the day are entitled to an education regardless. In most workplaces there are rules and procedures and not religious and spiritual morals and ethics. The job of school is to prepare us for the workplace for when we leave and thats all it should do..

I think Jesus used to regularly turn away people if they weren't socially acceptable. He used to encourage the crowds to beat lepers he hated them so much. He regularly turned away pregnant women away from his sermons.
    I think Jesus would be proud of this guy for turning away this girl. She wasn't married when she had the kid, Jesus was very famously intolerent and unforgiving of people like this.
    I reckon he has a special seat beside god up in heaven reserved for this headmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nodin wrote: »
    Not often I hear (or read) that, it has to be said..

Some days everyone needs a hug and a kind word.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    I reckon he has a special seat beside god up in heaven reserved for this headmaster.

What do you mean beside? Sounds like this lad has a bit of a god complex going on himself, even promoted his own son to managment level.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

I find it funny that people here bitch and moan about separating religion from normal schools, suggesting there should be allocated catholic schools for anyone that wants a religious teaching.
    So here we have one of those schools set up for and maining a specific ethos who have an admission policy to uphold this ethos and
    people are still complaining because they wouldn’t accept everyone.

Let’s face it, this is just another thinly veiled rant by the 6% to try get religion abolished from all schools even if these types of schools are wanted by the local tax paying community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

omega666 wrote: »
    I find it .............community.

The school gets state funding. When its utterly privately funded, then it can do what it wants.

...this is just another thinly veiled rant by the 6% to try get religion abolished from all schools even if these types of schools are wanted by the local tax paying community.

6% ?
    Just goes to show how much you know then...

JUST yesterday!
    http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-indicates-three-quarters-of-parents-want-change-in-primary-school-patronage-434184-Apr2012/
    A NEW POLL commissioned by the Irish Primary Principals Network has shown that three out of four parents would send their children to schools run by patrons other than Churches if they had a choice.

Come back when you actually want to talk about actual REAL facts will you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

dvpower wrote: »
    Her reasons for wanting to move school are in the report - did you read it at all?

Actually the reasons only say she could not settle. This could easily mean she was being bullied or she was a pyromaniac psychopath. Although maybe I missed the actual reasons if you say they are there.
    We're all adults here, so I think we all know how she got pregnant.

We know the mechanics, not the circumstances.
    What facts that aren't in the report do you think would be relevant, and why?

Well if she dropped out because she got involved with a violent drug dealing gang the principal would be right to use any means to keep her out of his school. If she dropped out for some other reason such as depression then he would be wrong to exclude her.
    So they might have circumvented their own admissions criteria, lied to the girl and to the ombudsman? That would be nearly worse than what they did do.

You wouldn't think that if you had a child in the school and the new girl sitting beside her had a very dark past. Like i said, we have no idea of the full circumstances of the situation. The Ombudsman released only the information she wanted. I think this was wrong. In fact, I think publicising the case at all was wrong and I don't see the rationale for it.
    Nodin wrote: »
    Neither school nor victim are named.

They have been elsewhere. It didn't take long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

So here we have one of those schools set up for and maining a specific ethos who have an admission policy to uphold this ethos and
    people are still complaining because they wouldn’t accept everyone.

The report specifically mentions the lack of a written or published admissions policy, and the school failed to provide one when asked. So it doesn't really "uphold this ethos".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement