Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

He got bad service from the lineout and was unsighted to the defense. Very dangerous situation that can be easilly pressurised by the opposition.

Missed drop goals lead to 22 drop outs which more often than not lead to you setting up possession in the opposition half.

Reddan may have felt he was coming under pressure and just wanted rid of it. It was a bit mad though.

I thought it was a decent decision. He was pinned in the corner, had no one to pass to and if he was tackled into touch would have given away possession. I'd imagine the few intercepts he's thrown from the front of lineouts throughout his career might have been on his mind too. At least with the drop goal, assuming it goes dead, you either get possession back (they kick it long) or you can compete if they kick it short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

What did people think of Jennings performance? didnt really impose himself on the game from what I saw, wonder will Ryan be given an opportunity to play himself into contention for the 23 for the final or is the backrow set in stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

shuffol wrote: »
    What did people think of Jennings performance? didnt really impose himself on the game from what I saw, wonder will Ryan be given an opportunity to play himself into contention for the 23 for the final or is the backrow set in stone.

Jennings lacked physicality

Would love to see Ryan involved from the bench in the final but hard to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

GerM wrote: »
    By far the most cynical piece of play was by a Clermont defender in the build up to the try. When Boss runs across the line and feeds Strauss keep watching Boss and not the ball. He was smashed, high and off the ball. Leinster certainly were cynical and Cullen should have walked but anyone who thinks that Leinster were the only team at it is only watching one side. The hit on Boss, the clear out on Cullen and the taking out of Nacewa are all fairly solid examples of shenanigans. Anyone could just as easily identify examples of Leinster doing the same, I’m sure.

TBH while Leo could and should have been binned for the first half stupidity and there could have been a 2nd yellow for repeated infringements in the second half, Leinster managed nothing of the same level of brutality as Bardy (v Cullen) and Cudmore (v Boss).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Look how close he was to grounding the ball:
    ArqYiqsCAAAC4WP.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I thought he had grounded it mainly from the celebration, and I was certain we were out. I can sympathise with Munster fans after that experience, really not a nice feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Really enthralling match. The last few phases were electric. Couldn't begrudge either side's effort, both sides would have made worthy additions to the final. Clermont probably are the most physical side in the NH and they could make yards easily on many occasions against Leinster. Leinster were able to absorb the onslaught and fight back at key occasions during their possession when they upped the tempo beyond Clermont's comfort level (Reddan's interjection was key in this). This showed when there are guys like Bonnaire and Hines spent on the bench showed how attritional it was on the pitch for the forwrds. Had Leinster not been able to play their game, it would have been Clermont who bulldozed their way through to the final.

That match convinced a group of us that we should go see (and support) Clermont play at home next year in the HC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Just reading back through the last few pages, major lulz at people saying Reddan had a "howler"

It's indicative of armchair pundits who pick out one mistake (a poor DG attempt) and ignore the rest of his performance which was mostly positive

And his penalties conceded? Or are you blind to that too ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

ongarite wrote: »
    Look how close he was to grounding the ball:
    ArqYiqsCAAAC4WP.jpg:large

He saw Rob encroaching with that left foot !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anyone here BOD shouting at Nigel Owens around the start of the second half. He was in a ruck and was being held back when you hear quite clearly on the TV "C'mon Nigel"! He may even had told him to pay attention!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Anyone here BOD shouting at Nigel Owens around the start of the second half. He was in a ruck and was being held back when you hear quite clearly on the TV "C'mon Nigel"! He may even had told him to pay attention!

Heard him and agreed with him, thought he won the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

duckysauce wrote: »
    did you not see Leo earlier in the match lucky not to get a yellow

did he charge and batter someone with his head - that could have broken his jaw - along ban , he is pure scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

my friend wrote: »
    And his penalties conceded? Or are you blind to that too ?

He conceded one penalty in the game, and it was far from a stupid penalty

99% of the posters here are of the opinion are of the belief that Reddan made a massive impact upon his introduction

Without him I doubt Leinster would have been able to frustrate and tire Clermont they way they did for large parts after the try

But go ahead and try and use a penalty and a missed drop goal to back up your straw man argument that he had a "howler" when he clearly did not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Reddans impact cannot be understated, he was a big part of the reason Leinster won and IMO should have started
    Spot on ,he was brilliant except for that kick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thought he was very quiet and didn't justify his selection. Common consensus here was that he was selected to slow down Clermont's ball and frustrate their quick-rucking game, that Clermont didn't commit many men to rucks and that they could be targeted there. The opposite happened IMO, for long periods of the match Clermont retained possession well, recycled ball quickly, and punched holes by quick ruck ball and offloading in the tackle. If McLaughlin is fit I'd much rather see him start the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Re: Hines, yes, he was excellent, maybe he doesn't have the legs for 80 minutes any more because I don't see why Cotter would have taken him off and left the ineffectual Cudmore on otherwise.

He tweeted last night that Strauss hit him hard and inflicted a rib injury on him! Strauss must be made of concrete.

Regarding Jennings/McLaughlin, Jennings got stuck into the rucks but, as has already been said, Clermont recycled so quickly that he didn't have too many chances to pinch the ball.
    McLaughlin had a great game when he came on - he only made a couple of tackles but he was very effective at clearing the Clermont players off our rucks. There were one or two times when he prevented a turnover due to the sheer pace he hit the ruck and knocked a couple of their players on their arses. Great display from him.

I find the whole "cheating" thing funny. Leicester are leaders at living on the edge, Munster were absolute masters at it - e.g. Leamy, Quinlan etc... incredibly annoying players who would make a mess of the breakdown and annoy the hell out of the opposition. It's what sets a good team apart from a great team.
    Every rugby team, from international to J4 or J5, tries it to some extent. That's why we have referees there - to stop players continually doing it!
    It's also why players rucked the opposition - to stop you doing it too often! :P

i'd expect mcloughlin to start , with jennings on bench - personally , I'd like ryan on bench but can't see it happening , love to see him taken to NZ .

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

sting60 wrote: »
    Spot on ,he was brilliant except for that kick.

Thought Reddan made a huge difference, think too many people are influenced by Kidney's attitude to Reddan, he's the best scrum half in the country doesn't get the acknowledgement he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

George Hook says Leinster were lucky to still be in the game at all and struggled to compete for 80 minutes. Discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

George Hook says Leinster were lucky to still be in the game at all and struggled to compete for 80 minutes. Discuss.

George Hook is an idiot.

/discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Probably disappointed he didn't get to say that on national television. The Hookie Monster loves some controversy.

George Hook has become the Brian Cowen of Irish rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I see he still has his love affair with the French.:pac:

Stirring the pot by the sounds of it.

Leinster gave a fantastic performance yesterday and the match itself was final worthy. Once the line out is worked on over the next couple of weeks, Leinster should be in great form for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Ah George Hook the Widow Twanky of Irish telly. We all know who we want to listen and whose opinion we respect on rugby. Fair play to hook he's still hanging in there, him and Matty would make a great double act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ah, Hookie. He's an awful wind up man. No doubt he'll catch a few with it and his armchair disciples will be sagely nodding along before reiterating verbatim down the pub.

Think Leinster were just about worth their win. Clermont were the better side for the last 20 minutes of the first half (when Leinster's scramble defence was top drawer) and last 10 minutes of the second half but Leinster were better overall. If the Leinster set piece had been more solid in the first half, I think the scores would have gone in level. We lost possession repeatedly due to it being shaky. The first 30 minutes of the second half was superb. Leinster upped their game and Clermont began to look more and more human, unable to inflict damage at the breakdown or get any position on the field aside from a bad call from Kearney to go into contact when he had men in space outside him. They didn't have the engines to keep their intensity up nor the bench to keep it going. Disappointed with Leinster going into their shell a bit in the closing stages and Heaslip should get roasted for conceding a sloppy penalty with about 6 minutes left which let Clermont get down into our territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

GerM wrote: »
    Think Leinster were just about worth their win. Clermont were the better side for the last 20 minutes of the first half (when Leinster's scramble defence was top drawer) and last 10 minutes of the second half but Leinster were better overall. If the Leinster set piece had been more solid in the first half, I think the scores would have gone in level. We lost possession repeatedly due to it being shaky. The first 30 minutes of the second half was superb. Leinster upped their game and Clermont began to look more and more human, unable to inflict damage at the breakdown or get any position on the field aside from a bad call from Kearney to go into contact when he had men in space outside him. They didn't have the engines to keep their intensity up nor the bench to keep it going. Disappointed with Leinster going into their shell a bit in the closing stages and Heaslip should get roasted for conceding a sloppy penalty with about 6 minutes left which let Clermont get down into our territory.

Yeah, exactly, people need a bit of perspective here. We were playing CLERMONT AUVERGNE IN FRANCE.
    A total 80-minute domination was never on the cards.

This is a team who haven't lost at home in 40-something games. OK, they weren't at home yesterday but there were twice as many Clermont fans as they get at their real home games.
    This is a team with international class players from 1-15.
    This is not Brive, Castres or Racing who don't care about the HC, this is a team who went all out to win the competition this year and invested heavily in their squad.
    This is a team who are level on points at the top of the Top 14, the most competitive pro league in Europe.

To expect Leinster to dominate these guys, to exert superiority in every facet of the game, to blow them away up front like they've done to most teams this season, is ridiculous.

And to turn around and say that Leinster were lucky or needed Wayne Barnes to win or however else you want to try to diminish their achivement, just reflects badly on the people making these comments.

If Clermont had been the better team yesterday, they'd have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

That was some game. The Heineken seems to bring it out every year to be fair, always amazing drama.

The physicality of the match really astounded me even though I knew it was coming. Those forwards looked like boxers after 15 rounds at the end of the match. Hines in the stands just looked spent. Was thinking back and wondering if this was their greatest ever performance. The Toulouse game in the quarter final was kind of a strange one cos they were underdogs and a bit of a freak game, whereas yesterday they were marginal favourites against the strongest team in France over there. You could argue that Toulose were stronger then and despite their first Bouclier win Clermont maybe are bottlers but for me probably their greatest performance and result. Leicster in the final maybe.

I thought at the end there wasn't the crazy celebrations either , was it cos they had won nothing or cos it was so close or maybe they were just shattered.

For me yesterday it looked like hand to hand warfare. amazing stuff.

Just saw hit on Boss, really filthy deserves a citing. Was marked after the punch I reckon he knew he was going to get done at some stage, will not be good for his modelling career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Clermont have some great talents in their side and played lovely rugby at times but I think the difference between the sides was summed up with Healys try, when Kearney made the break Fofana let Healy go and just cantered back toward the try line, had it been the other way round the Leinster player would've been busting a gut to get back. Clermont are a great side but Leinster are a great team.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Also, re: "Leinster Cheating" etc things that you read on other forums.

If you weren't aware that we are a rule bending team, then you're missing an awful lot of the game. We can't even pretend we play clean rugby. Our breakdown work is "dark arts" esque at best, and totally illegal at times too. We're not a physically dirty team, but a lot of what we do could easily be picked off by a pedantic referee.

One thing that we have been able to see is that the team are able to react to the referee, and "clean up" for periods of the game. That is what a great team does, plays just inside the rules, and the referee is the interpreter on the day, not the guys with cameras at Sky Sports, or sitting at home on their couch. It's horribly frustrating to play against us, because you spot every little infringement, but there really isn't any team that can hold themselves up as angels that come through the gate, that never encroach the offside line, and that don't make decisions (a la Ferris on Saturday) to take a very severe risk for their team in order to prevent "fair ball" for the opposition.

We are no saints, but there really are none anyway. Every side spots the other's infringements and glosses over their own. I was really disappointed with Cullen, should certainly have been binned. Even though there was nothing in it. You don't raise your hands, because it puts you completely at the mercy of the referee. People have been getting under his skin an awful lot recently.

Emmet, you could say the exact same thing about the All Blacks, you know, who won the World Cup...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I missed the TG4 highlights. Anyone know any other channel that's showing them, other than Sky?

I thought ITV were showing highlights this season but can see it in the TV Guide.
    Itv are showing them this eveing at 7.30, not sure if its on 1,2,3 or 4 though

Advertisement