Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Waited while the credits were rolling and was told to get out because there wasn't a second scene.

Saw in 3D will definitely go back and see in 2D when i can. Ruffalo is great as banner, much much better then norton or bana.

Suprised no one has mentioned, not that i read anyway:
    mewling quim
    which means he's basically calling her a
    whining cúnt

Yea I got a giggle out of that!

Surprised they told you to get out, you have a right to sit there until the end of the credits whether there is a scene or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yea I got a giggle out of that!

Surprised they told you to get out, you have a right to sit there until the end of the credits whether there is a scene or not.

There was quite a few of us waiting.

I was also surprised at how funny it was, there are lots of hilarious one liners and comebacks, from Stark especially,
    "Does doth mother know you are wearing her drapes?", calling Thor "Point Break" and Hawkeye "Legolas".

I think I missed half of the scene after Thor's
    "He's adopted"
    line because of the crowd laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dr gonzo wrote: »
    cronin_j wrote: »
    I would love to see wolverine in the avengers movies...

Hell yeh, or dare I say Gambit...? Is there any reason they never used him?

Apparently, gambits personality was a mix of cyclops and wolverine so he wasnt needed. My favourite xman was left out so they could build more tension between cyclops and logan. **** that xmen series!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 London Acid

Might want to spoiler
    when himself and Thor took down the thing and Hulk just punches Thor

Actually, Norton wanted to reprise his role and it was marvel studios that didn't want him back. They left the reasoning kind of vague, all they said was "Edward Norton wasn't right for the part", which makes little to no sense to me considering they cast him the first or rather second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nah apparently Norton wanted to rewrite large portions of the Hulk movie and wanted producing credits which in english translates to more money the same kind of thing that stopped Terence Howard from coming back as Rhodey in Iron Man 2

Also on Wolverine being in the Avengers thats guys had loads of movie appearances there so many Avengers that haven't been on the big screen that we haven't seen yet that Marvel do have the rights to that i'd rather see before Wolverine or even Spiderman in Avengers

Black Panther, Ms Marvel, Sentry, Antman and Wasp(founding members of the Avengers) Captain Marvell, Luke Cage, Iron Fist i could go on for hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The idea of Ant Man doesn't really appeal to me, certainly not in a solo film anyway. Giant Man could have a better chance of working but again, I don't think the Pyms are really worthy of a solo film.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The idea of Ant Man doesn't really appeal to me, certainly not in a solo film anyway. Giant Man could have a better chance of working but again, I don't think the Pyms are really worthy of a solo film.

Its interesting to look at it from the pov that we have no had an origin story where the superhero might change his powers before the end of the movie. I dunno - i think like BW and Hawkeye, the Pyms would be better off appearing as backup in IM or Thor or someone elses movie.

I hope they do turn up though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd still like to see Edgar Wright get to make his Ant Man movie.

There is talk of a few lower budget movies getting made for lesser known Marvel heroes in order to expand the universe a bit. I know head way was made regarding a Dr. Strange movie, but I haven't heard anything about it in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Might want to spoiler
    when himself and Thor took down the thing and Hulk just punches Thor
    apologies, i was just kinda assuming everyone coming here has seen the film at this stage, i unsubscribed from the thread 3 weeks ago:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Nah apparently Norton wanted to rewrite large portions of the Hulk movie and wanted producing credits which in english translates to more money the same kind of thing that stopped Terence Howard from coming back as Rhodey in Iron Man 2

yeah that seems to be the most common story, TBF Norton was a great catch for the studio, but he really really likes to get involved with his projects creatively, which realistically is a bad thing for any kind of franchise,

Howard was just a Muppet, downey got paid a $1million for iron man 1, due mainly to his past transgressions off camera, and deserved the massive bump he got for part 2, realistically your not gonna give the sidekick the same as the lead, his loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest i thought Selvig in Thor was a missed oppurtunity to stick Pym in there instead if ya ask me, would have been a cool way to have introduced him in the Avengers movie too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Actually, Norton wanted to reprise his role and it was marvel studios that didn't want him back. They left the reasoning kind of vague, all they said was "Edward Norton wasn't right for the part", which makes little to no sense to me considering they cast him the first or rather second time around.

Norton has a history of being an absolute nightmare to work with. I do like a lot of his work though, but his Hulk felt like a downgrade on the previous movie in every single department.

Similarly, Terrance Howard pissed off everyone on IM. Nor did some of his unusual comments on women endear him to the studio, so they offered him half his salary in the expectation that he'd quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Absolutely fecking superb!

Not much I can add that hasn't been said already... definitely one of the best comic book movies of all time in my opinion (Batman Begins and TDK are up there obviously but not comic book movies in 'The Avengers' sense).

Definite flairs of Whedon humour in that writing - and I personally thought Ruffalo stole the show. So much win in the Hulk scenes.

I can't understand anyone being underwhelmed by it... a comic book movie full of balls-to-the-wall action scenes, humour and a cracking cast. And it's 150 minute run-time absolutely flew by.

Along with Cabin In The Woods, Whedon has gone and co-written / directed two of the finest films of the year so far.

Tempted to go again before the week is out.. loved it!

EDIT: Went on IMDB to see how it did in the US.. and it's not even out til Friday (May 4th) over there! :eek: Anyways, made $178M internationally outside of the US alone on it's opening weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

6/10 from me.

I was kind of borderline on J Whedon directing this, since I never particularly liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Serenity / etc.

Now I know for sure that I don't like his style.
    It (to me) felt like it was written by the super gay chap that Homer befriends in that episode of the Simpsons.
    Why so much dialogue that can only be described as "Sassy"?
    During one or two scenes, which included Tony Stark in particular, I actually thought someone on screen was going to say "Zing!" in the background.

That said, I did indeed enjoy quite a few of the quips, not mentioning any here to avoid spoiling anything! :)

The
    glass prison to hold loki
    was nonsense.
    "If you try to escape, I'll push this button, which will release you, and then you'll......erm....escape."

As were the bad guys themselves. There was no real threat developed from the robot space snake. For all intents and purposes, the "greatest threat mankind has ever faced" was dealt with in 15 minutes.

Also, how did Thor get back to earth? The end of his film established that he was "stuck" in Asgard, yet in this one, he simply "appears"? Fair enough if that's something they want to save for Thor 2, but you can't simply leave it unexplained, particularly since
    they set the precedent of explaining where Jane Foster was
    ? Weird...

Finally; knowing that there were going to be 6 main characters fighting for screentime, some careful trimming should have been done; rather than adding. Specifically the likes of Agent Maria Hill, etc.
    The Avengers themselves need a big chunk of screentime/character arc, etc, so cut her out! For that matter; vital to the story or not, Samuel L. Jackson couldn't have actually looked any less bothered to be there...

I don't know how characters like Hawkeye and Black Widow can really compete against the others, but there were times where they were reduced to clichés here. (A sexy agent with a dark past.)

It actually looks from the above that I didn't like it; don't get me wrong, there were parts where I was guffawing like a giddy fool. I even want to watch it again in the cinema, and will no doubt buy it on DVD also, but...

Iron Man 1 was better...

The
    was nonsense.
    "If you try to escape, I'll push this button, which will release you, and then you'll......erm....escape."

He would have been trapped inside it
    like Thor was and he doesn't have Mjolnir to help him break out either.

I agree there wasn't quite enough of a threat from the
    Chitauri
    , I thought Loki made for a great villain this time around again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The
    was nonsense.
    Releasing the prison would have dropped the prison into the ocean, and because of the toughened glass and Loki having no weapons (and not being that strong), he wouldn't have been able to break the glass. It was more of a threat to make him behave than a full prison. Besides which, it was built to contain Banner/Hulk, not Loki
    Also, how did Thor get back to earth? The end of his film established that he was "stuck" in Asgard, yet in this one, he simply "appears"? Fair enough if that's something they want to save for Thor 2, but you can't simply leave it unexplained, particularly since
    they set the precedent of explaining where Jane Foster was
    ? Weird...
    Loki explained it. "How much dark energy did the AllFather have to use to send you back here?" or something like that. Basically that Odin used some sort of old dark magic to enable Thor to get back, which wouldn't be a standard way, but an emergency. And I think they said that Thor needed the Tessarect to get back to Asgard. Thor knew about the Tessarect as soon as he came back, and about the Chitari aliens, so they must have found out about it on Asgard, so Odin knew he had to send Thor to stop Loki.

I thought everything was pretty well explained to be honest, except maybe
    how Selvig managed to put in a failsafe to close the portal when mind controlled by Loki, whereas Hawkeye killed several people and couldn't do anything against Loki's mind control.

Penn wrote: »
    Releasing the prison would have dropped the prison into the ocean, and because of the toughened glass and Loki having no weapons (and not being that strong), he wouldn't have been able to break the glass. It was more of a threat to make him behave than a full prison. Besides which, it was built to contain Banner/Hulk, not Loki
    Unless it just
    smashed open on a beach / land like it did when Thor fell? Also, it's like Shield didn't learn their lesson from the previous 2 Hulk films. Sedate Banner or something, because clearly prisons have never worked to contain the green man.
    Loki explained it. "How much dark energy did the AllFather have to use to send you back here?" or something like that. Basically that Odin used some sort of old dark magic to enable Thor to get back, which wouldn't be a standard way, but an emergency. And I think they said that Thor needed the Tessarect to get back to Asgard. Thor knew about the Tessarect as soon as he came back, and about the Chitari aliens, so they must have found out about it on Asgard, so Odin knew he had to send Thor to stop Loki.
    You know what, I think I do remember that actually now that you mention it; sorry. But still; it really detracts from the ending of Thor so if it was so easy, no?
    how Selvig managed to put in a failsafe to close the portal when mind controlled by Loki, whereas Hawkeye killed several people and couldn't do anything against Loki's mind control.

That part didn’t bother me so much actually. I figured it just had to do with the fact that Selvig was simply smarter, had a greater mental capacity, or maybe even something to do with his Scandanavian heritage.
    I agree there wasn't quite enough of a threat from the
    Chitauri
    , I thought Loki made for a great villain this time around again though.

I agree. I’d even like to see him again in future films. To be honest though, I’d have absolutely loved a Loki / Red Skull team-up in this film. Their combined plans, using the tessarect, with
    Thanos / The Chitauri
    as an unseen threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Unless it just
    smashed open on a beach / land like it did when Thor fell? Also, it's like Shield didn't learn their lesson from the previous 2 Hulk films. Sedate Banner or something, because clearly prisons have never worked to contain the green man.
    Thor broke out of it before it landed

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Another possible explanation is that Selvig could have installed the fail safe for Loki's benefit - in that it wouldnt strictly go against Loki's will if Loki had a way to turn off the tesseract, should he want to.

Just because Selvig was under mind control, i dont think that means he would necessarily leave out a failsafe. I mean - i dont think Loki meant to leave the Tesseract portal on indefinitely, so there should have been an off button anyway.

Actually, this reminds me:
    The mysterious chaps on the t.v. screens who were talking to Nick Fury were pretty much right after all. It was their nuclear missile that saved the day, not the Avengers. Or, if you want to be pedantic about it, it was Tony Stark who saved the day; while the other 5 just stood and watched.

The Chitauri seemed to suffer from the "stormtrooper effect" and didn't appear to actually kill anyone, other than wrecking a few cars and buildings. I don't wonder if the Earth's armies couldn't have actually won that battle easily enough anyway.

• Advertisement

about coulson
    He dies, then Fury calls it in. He is told a medical team is on the way. He says no, they have called it.I didnt see a medical team. Then you see Black Widow who admits she has been compromised. Coulson is still alive and i feel this is something to do with whats going on behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Saw it on Saturday and even though I have been waiting for this since I was six and had a lot of big expectations that I was convinced would be destroyed, I came away feeling it was better than my expectations.

On to spoiler time....
    Anyone wonder what "phase two" that Stark was asking about after he hacked into SHEILD was? Wonder if that's a super-human registration act.... ;)
    I kinda hope so because I loved the "Civil War" series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

smokingman wrote: »
    Anyone wonder what "phase two" that Stark was asking about after he hacked into SHEILD was? Wonder if that's a super-human registration act.... ;)
    I kinda hope so because I loved the "Civil War" series.
    They explain it in the movie. Phase 2 refers to using the energy from the Tesseract to create weapons.

Actually, the news reel at the end, where some people were complaining about the Avengers may hint at them possibly going down the Civil War route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

To be honest i thought Selvig in Thor was a missed oppurtunity to stick Pym in there instead if ya ask me, would have been a cool way to have introduced him in the Avengers movie too

Selvig served his purpose though, cautious of Thor but ultimately a good guy.

Pym, for all intents and purposes, is a bit of a dickhead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

about coulson
    He dies, then Fury calls it in. He is told a medical team is on the way. He says no, they have called it.I didnt see a medical team. Then you see Black Widow who admits she has been compromised. Coulson is still alive and i feel this is something to do with whats going on behind the scenes.
    He dies on screen! Pretty sure that's as definitive as one can get. Would make Fury's trading card manipulation less forceful if Coulson was still alive in a hospital somewhere, and would rank amongst cinema's least convincing resurrections if it turned out to be some moronically convoluted scheme. It's not like Coulson really did anything anyway: even his role as mysterious negotiator extraordinare was kind of reduced to mere comic relief here.

As for
    Thor's arrival
    , it's not that there isn't an explanation offered, it's that it's wholly unconvincing. The ending of Thor actually worked because of the sacrifice he had to make as a character - but here it's all suddenly undone and batted way with a line of half-assed exposition. Frankly, it read like a first draft of an arrival scene. I was really interested trying to see how they'd have him arrive and fit into the overall narrative: thought there'd be some mental cube-based shenanigans or something similar, based on the way they presented the Skarsgaard scenes. I do not know what would be an exciting solution, really, but I know the anti-climactic
    dropping in from the sky
    felt entirely forced and contrived (oh look: complaining about contrivances in a ****ing superhero movie :P). Like a handful of other bits in the film, it made it all feel as if nothing really mattered, and this was just a merely irrelevant stop gap between 'proper' sequels. Since so many of the previous films felt like a build-up to this 'main event', that was to me a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

about coulson
    You see the medical team coming in with the body bag when Fury is talking

Otacon wrote: »
    Actually, the news reel at the end, where some people were complaining about the Avengers may hint at them possibly going down the Civil War route.

I think they will go the civil war route in Avengers 2 with each of their next individual films hinting at it coming. Obviously they wouldn't be able to do a large scale one as they don't have rights to a lot of the characters but I think they will borrow heavily from that story line. Well I hope anyway, I loved that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have seen this movie twice and both times I really enjoyed it.

I had low expectations from the trailers, but the reviews of critics (all extremely positive, particularly from critics who usually love a good moan at popcorn movies!) got me very excited.

It wasnt up at the Dark knights standard in terms of going infinitely above whatever my expectations could be for a movie, but it was extremely enjoyable for the kind of movie I expected. I would give it a solid 8-9 out of 10. the reason for the 1-2 loss in stars is because, while it had superbly enjoyable moments, it just didnt have enough "wow" to get the top score.

This is judging the movie at very high standards. I am not sure how anybody can give it a low rating to be honest because I think it is unquestionably one of the best comicbook movies every made and for that it deserves a good score. The two questions I always have when people give good movies bad reviews is:

1. What exactly did you expect when you went to see the movie ?
    2. Did you not enjoy the movie because it wasnt good or was it because you had decided before watching it that you would use the opportunity to pan a popular movie?

I think there's absolutely no way that
    Coulson is alive, in a way its a shame because I felt he was a little under used in this and deserved a slightly bigger role from his involvement in the other movies.Using the trading cards was to spur the others on by showing them how much phil believed in them.

As for going the Civil war route, though you might see elements being borrowed, I think there's absolutely no chance of it happening because basically there's not enough established super-heroes in the universe yet and also, and here's the biggest barrier everyone suggesting this seems to be missing, not ONE of the Avengers has a secret identity, not ONE, which would make the Superhuman registration act storyline completely pointless.

• Advertisement

HAHAHA Mick very true, the whole secret identity might be needed alright :D. I'd say they will take elements like Stark causing a huge splosion, people want these superheroes under control and policed, avengers split down the middle. But ya, way more heroes are needed which they will never get unfortunatley. But I spose there is the little matter of
    Thanos
    that needs to be dealt with first I spose.

I wonder will the extra bit they filmed be released on the DVD.

Advertisement