Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Heading to see it tonight in 2D, going to stuff my face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I have a question, post credits spoilers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Icarian wrote: »
    I have a question, post credits spoilers
    It was Thanos.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It was Thanos.

I presume all the main Avengers will get at least one film of their own before the next team up movie, Would be nice if they sprinkle those films with hints of
    Thanos' impending invasion
    . would also be great if the other Avengers pop up in bit parts in the individual movies like they tend to do in the comic.

Its such a shame Marvel don't have the film rights to all their heroes, how cool would a little cut away of Spider-Man or even a member of the FF
    taking out a Chitauri
    during the final battle sequence in NY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume all the main Avengers will get at least one film of their own before the next team up movie, Would be nice if they sprinkle those films with hints of
    Thanos' impending invasion
    . would also be great if the other Avengers pop up in bit parts in the individual movies like they tend to do in the comic.

I would defo like that too. I really hope they reserve
    Thanos
    for Avengers 2. Tbh, I'm already much more excited for Thor 2 than Iron Man 3.
    Its such a shame Marvel don't have the film rights to all their heroes, how cool would a little cut away of Spider-Man or even a member of the FF
    taking out a Chitauri
    during the final battle sequence in NY

I'm gonna disagree with ya there. I think they've found a great balance with this line-up of The Avengers. Spider-Man would, imo, dilute that in a negative way. Fantastic Four are, and have always been, crap heroes, imo (with the exception of the Human Torch, but only cos he looks cool :pac: ).

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would defo like that too. I really hope they reserve
    Thanos
    for Avengers 2. Tbh, I'm already much more excited for Thor 2 than Iron Man 3.

Yea i'm hopeful
    Thanos
    will be the next avengers villain rather than Iron Man 3 or something. I'm more stoked for Thor 2 as well!
    I'm gonna disagree with ya there. I think they've found a great balance with this line-up of The Avengers. Spider-Man would, imo, dilute that in a negative way. Fantastic Four are, and have always been, crap heroes, imo (with the exception of the Human Torch, but only cos he looks cool :pac: ).

I've never liked FF either and i wouldn't want Spidey becoming a main character in the Avengers movies or even having any kind of pivotal role in these movies, but NY is his stomping ground and it would just be nice to acknowledge his existence within the film universe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yea i'm hopeful
    Thanos
    will be the next avengers villain rather than Iron Man 3 or something. I'm more stoked for Thor 2 as well!

I've never liked FF either and i wouldn't want Spidey becoming a main character in the Avengers movies or even having any kind of pivotal role in these movies, but NY is his stomping ground and it would just be nice to acknowledge his existence within the film universe too.
    I hear Peter had a photo shoot at Mode that day :P

Ahhh right, yes I see what you mean! It'd defo be a nice little aside, yeah!

I'm wondering if Ruffalo will get his own Hulk movie... I'm at odds with the idea tbh. Can't decide whether it'd be a good or bad move...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Think the Hulk works better in the Avengers style environment. I like TIH though it was fun, long as he has something to fight. Ruffalo was excellent though, him and Hiddleston gave the standout performances

I think they've finally found what works for Hulk and it is this kind of film. Throw him a cameo in Thor 2/IM3/CA2 and that will suffice.

Ruffalo was one of the highlights of this film, but I'm not sure if his Banner character could carry a 2 hour film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think they've finally found what works for Hulk and it is this kind of film. Throw him a cameo in Thor 2/IM3/CA2 and that will suffice.

Ruffalo was one of the highlights of this film, but I'm not sure if his Banner character could carry a 2 hour film.

whats made the last 2 hulk films suck imo is the lack of a decent villain. get the hulk a good villain and you might just get a decent hulk movie.

also great movie but for people saying its the best comic book movie not a chance its still the dark knight for me until the dark knight rises

Ahhh right, yes I see what you mean! It'd defo be a nice little aside, yeah!

I'm wondering if Ruffalo will get his own Hulk movie... I'm at odds with the idea tbh. Can't decide whether it'd be a good or bad move...

It's hard to know what they would do with the Hulk after this in a stand alone movie, they could continue on with the ending of the last one and have The Leader emerge, now that Banner is in the public eye after the events of the Avengers. They got Hulk so right in this I think its very likely he might get his own movie due to the public response.

Another thoroughly awesome but highly unlikely possibility could be have the Hulk lose control during the climax in the next Avengers movie and cause a huge amount of destruction turning on the others in the process resulting in him being blasted into space in order to set up Planet Hulk which could then lead into Avengers 3: World War Hulk. Not a chance in hell it would happen though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Which Heroes don't they have the rights too?

Also Spider-man possibly doesn't exist in this Marvel Universe yet given the upcoming movie?

Which Heroes don't they have the rights too?

Also Spider-man possibly doesn't exist in this Marvel Universe yet given the upcoming movie?

Spider-Man, X-men, Fantastic Four not sure who else. None of their movies were directly made by Marvel, including the new Spidey one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

at the moment no rights to Spiderman, Ghostrider, Fantastic Four or Xmen ,Daredevil too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ruffalo is basically a supporting actor* - he's always memorable when he's not the only centre of attention. He buoys an ensemble rather than defining it. Kind of why he worked here: it's the same slightly bumbling performance as he always gives, but it was a nice counterpoint to the smashy smashy side of Hulk and his larger than life fellow Avengers.

*Of course, You Can Count on Me is the exception to this rule, but he just gave the same performance there but he had a script that allowed him to play up all his traits to great effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's hard to know what they would do with the Hulk after this in a stand alone movie, they could continue on with the ending of the last one and have The Leader emerge, now that Banner is in the public eye after the events of the Avengers. They got Hulk so right in this I think its very likely he might get his own movie due to the public response.

I've seen this written elsewhere; but am not sure where people are coming from: I didn't see anything particularly unique in this version of The Hulk, compared with previous iterations? Ruffulo did a good job portraying Banner, but The Other Guy seemed about the same as the 2 films, no? He jumped about, generally trashed most locations he was in & roared a bit.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've seen this written elsewhere; but am not sure where people are coming from: I didn't see anything particularly unique in this version of The Hulk, compared with previous iterations? Ruffulo did a good job portraying Banner, but The Other Guy seemed about the same as the 2 films, no? He jumped about, generally trashed most locations he was in & roared a bit.

Its possibly because this film didn't just consist of him running away from the Army the whole time. Also some of the moments Hulk got in this were down right iconic in my eyes, plus its the first time I felt I was actually watching the Hulk on screen as I had imagined him from the comics and such.

I think Ruffalo's Banner was slightly more charismatic and likeable than either Norton's or Bana's too, which probably helped. All IMHO of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

exactly.

where in his own films could he
    smack an armoured alien eel/troop transport in the face ?

hulk films have been more reality based which is grand for characterisation but sucks on the action front.

he works here as he's facing threats that actually challenge him without getting all gamma related (blonski) and thats the difference. plus i never realised just HOW much i want to see him work with tony/reed or any other big brain in the marvel universe. ya get the feeling ribbing aside stark does actually respect banners intellect which again is not something readilly apparent in the hulk films.

went to see it again yesterday and i have to say i had just as good a blast.

it actually worked BETTER as i knew what to expect this time around (something similar happened with cap when it came out) and the 2 hours plus FLEW by again.

i think this ones gonna be a monster.

the screen i was in only had two seats left (which i got with my brother. by god did it hurt not ruining the film for him) and box office mojo have already got the film taking in 178 million from the foreign releases.

Its possibly because this film didn't just consist of him running away from the Army the whole time. Also some of the moments Hulk got in this were down right iconic in my eyes, plus its the first time I felt I was actually watching the Hulk on screen as I had imagined him from the comics and such.

This! This iteration of The Hulk had direction. He wasn't just running from the army, having accidentally turned into a big, green jerk and smashing things. When Banner learned to accept the Hulk as part of himself, he gained control over him. This allowed him to act with purpose as part of the team. It also afforded him a personality that went beyond "Bet-ty...." which made him a more rounded, likeable character.

I think Ruffalo's Banner was slightly more charismatic and likeable than either Norton's or Bana's too, which probably helped. All IMHO of course :)

I agree. I think it's the first time Banner has been what he should be: the exact opposite to the Hulk. Ruffalo's Banner comes across as shy and retreating. He seems to only gain confidence right at the end when he finally accepts Hulk as part of him (
    "That's my secret: I'm always angry."
    ) and it gives a really great, rounded character. I don't think Norton or Bana would have been able to pull this off tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i think thats another reason he worked so well with downey jnr.

personality wise banner is basically the anti stark !

:)

but em together and ya get win.

maybe a cameo or supporting role in IM3 aint such a bad idea.

THe fact that Ruffalo isn't such a massive name would make it easy to have him pop up in the likes of IM3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read Disney lawyers are doing everything they can to find a loop hole in the Fox and Sony contracts to acquire the spiderman, F4, xmen, etc rights but fox and sony are having none of it. It is in their contract to release a film with those superheroes within a certain timeframe or they will lose the license. So in theory, FOX could release any ol cheap **** with nobody actors, slap on f4 and get to keep the rights.

EDIT: I just did a quick check and what do ya know, FOX is releasing a Fantastic Four reboot. Unbelievable!

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/chronicle-director-in-line-for-fantastic-four-r/267049

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

sheehy83 wrote: »

EDIT: I just did a quick check and what do ya know, FOX is releasing a Fantastic Four reboot. Unbelievable!

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/chronicle-director-in-line-for-fantastic-four-r/267049

Jaysus this is getting messy. Although, hypothetically without a reboot the addition of the F4 to the avengers universe would be awkward because Chris Evans plays the Human Torch and Captain America. This way, if its done properly, that little snag could be worked out.

In any case the fantastic 4 are rubbish, I sincerely hope they dont get retrieved by Marvel. Spiderman and X-Men on the other hand...

EDIT: While I'm here, does anybody know where I could watch the after-credits scene from Avengers? Nothing illegal or anything, I just missed it in the cinema and would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Jaysus this is getting messy. Although, hypothetically without a reboot the addition of the F4 to the avengers universe would be awkward because Chris Evans plays the Human Torch and Captain America. This way, if its done properly, that little snag could be worked out.

In any case the fantastic 4 are rubbish, I sincerely hope they dont get retrieved by Marvel. Spiderman and X-Men on the other hand...

EDIT: While I'm here, does anybody know where I could watch the after-credits scene from Avengers? Nothing illegal or anything, I just missed it in the cinema and would love to see it.

I would love to see wolverine in the avengers movies...

No after credits scene, just mid credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've seen this written elsewhere; but am not sure where people are coming from: I didn't see anything particularly unique in this version of The Hulk, compared with previous iterations? Ruffalo did a good job portraying Banner, but The Other Guy seemed about the same as the 2 films, no? He jumped about, generally trashed most locations he was in & roared a bit.
    but i think the avenger has now shown how to use Hulk, ruffalo is extremely likable as banner, and his Hulk was great, i think the comedic timing for him was bang on,
    like when himself and Thor took down the thing and Hulk just punches Thor
    , it just seemed to strike a perfect balance of wildness and comedy,

Bana was just wrong in the first place, Norton was probably to big (headed maybe) for Hulk and the Avengers, but ruffalo seems spot on, just like Downey for stark,

don ramo wrote: »

Bana was just wrong in the first place, Norton was probably to big (headed maybe) for Hulk and the Avengers, but ruffalo seems spot on, just like Downey for stark,

Might want to spoiler
    when himself and Thor took down the thing and Hulk just punches Thor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

cronin_j wrote: »
    I would love to see wolverine in the avengers movies...

Hell yeh, or dare I say Gambit...? Is there any reason they never used him?
    Might want to spoiler
    when himself and Thor took down the thing and Hulk just punches Thor

The audience erupted. Was a great moment.

Ah ok. Is there anywhere to see that online that you know of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Waited while the credits were rolling and was told to get out because there wasn't a second scene.

Saw in 3D will definitely go back and see in 2D when i can. Ruffalo is great as banner, much much better then norton or bana.

Suprised no one has mentioned, not that i read anyway:
    mewling quim
    which means he's basically calling her a
    whining cúnt

Advertisement