Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do private schools have a place in society?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually I think the gap will remain the same. I simply dont believe the large majority of private schoolers are drawn from the average of society. How would It change things and the number of people who attend if we withdraw funds?

It will mean that a lot of parents will not be able to afford to send their children to private school widening the socio-economic gap. You may not believe it but it will happen. Only the absolute richest will be able to send their children to these schools then. You need to take into account what "advantaged" actually means in these studies.

This may be of interest to you.

That article pretty much just plagarised the IT article

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It will mean that a lot of parents will not be able to afford to send their children to private school widening the socio-economic gap. You may not believe it but it will happen. Only the absolute richest will be able to send their children to these schools then. You need to take into account what "advantaged" actually means in these studies.

This may be of interest to you.

I actually dont believe private schools are better than public schools so thanks for the article. I think that these students do better because they come from an advantaged background and most importantly have an instilled expectation of college. You say people couldnt afford it if they withdrew state funding but people who need a help in education cant afford it now. There is already a huge gap between the education of fee paying a public school.

As others have stated previously that just because some cant afford it that doesnt mean all cant. According to the article I sent you 5% of people go to fee paying shcools. I think more than 5% of people can afford private schools. I think the rich would send their kids there no question.

I actually dont believe private schools are better than public schools so thanks for the article. I think that these students do better because they come from an advantaged background and most importantly have an instilled expectation of college. You say people couldnt afford it if they withdrew state funding but people who need a help in education cant afford it now. There is already a huge gap between the education of fee paying a public school.

As others have stated previously that just because some cant afford it that doesnt mean all cant. According to the article I sent you 5% of people go to fee paying shcools. I think more than 5% of people can afford private schools. I think the rich would send their kids there no question.

All your arguments lately appear to be claiming otherwise.

steddyeddy you have based everything on your opinion but yet won't listen to others who are explaining the reality of it to you.

Ok so 5% of people go to fee paying schools, factor in that some of those students will be from other countries (you get a lot of international students in these schools) and that most "rich" people are those who are older and have built up their wealth and their children will have finished schooling and you have a smaller number to deal with.

I still don't understand why you aren't focusing on educating the more disadvantaged to want to go to college. That would be a much more effective thing to do because pumping money into disadvantaged schools will help nothing when the children still have no interest in getting an education.

You're focusing on the wrong thing. Your problem here isn't really to do with money, it's education.

All your arguments lately appear to be claiming otherwise.

steddyeddy you have based everything on your opinion but yet won't listen to others who are explaining the reality of it to you.

Ok so 5% of people go to fee paying schools, factor in that some of those students will be from other countries (you get a lot of international students in these schools) and that most "rich" people are those who are older and have built up their wealth and their children will have finished schooling and you have a smaller number to deal with.

I still don't understand why you aren't focusing on educating the more disadvantaged to want to go to college. That would be a much more effective thing to do because pumping money into disadvantaged schools will help nothing when the children still have no interest in getting an education.

You're focusing on the wrong thing. Your problem here isn't really to do with money, it's education.

You have offered your opinion I have offered mine. You say that private school recruits from a modest background thats opinion not a fact. Your misrepresenting your opinion as the reality.

As I said theres people who cant afford private school at the moment do you think thats a bad thing? If not then how would it be a bad thing if those from slightly better off circumstances couldnt afford it?

My problem with the current arrangment is:

A: paying tax payers money to schools which are in no need of money (not all of them)
    B: I think withdraw these funds the schools will do just aswell.

I dont see a problem with withdrawing the funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

@steddyeddy,

you ask for facts yet you don't seem to be willing to hear other people's and are content to present your opinion as fact.

I'm quoting from; Danny Pfeffermann, Victoria Landsman, Are private schools better than public schools? Appraisal for Ireland by methods for observational studies, The Annals of Applied Statistics. Volume 5, Number 3 (2011), 1726-1751.

In observational studies the assignment of units to treatments is not under control.
    Consequently, the estimation and comparison of treatment effects based on the
    empirical distribution of the responses can be biased since the units exposed to the
    various treatments could differ in important unknown pretreatment characteristics,
    which are related to the response. An important example studied in this article is the question of whether private schools offer better quality of education than public
    schools. In order to address this question we use data collected in the year 2000 by OECD for the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA). Focusing for illustration on scores in mathematics of 15-years old pupils in Ireland, we find that the raw average score of pupils in private schools is higher than of pupils in public schools. However, application of a newly proposed method for observational studies suggests that the less able pupils tend to enroll in public schools, such that their lower scores is not necessarily an indication of bad quality of the public schools. Indeed, when comparing the average score in the two types of schools after adjusting for the enrollment effects, we find quite surprisingly that public schools perform better on average. This outcome is supported by the methods of instrumental variables and latent variables, commonly used by econometricians for analyzing and evaluating social programs.

Two things I want to say to you;
    1. The review of student standards (above in bold) actually SAYS that the public schools are better in Maths than private ones. On your estimation should we be taking money from the public school Maths courses as they are doing better and giving it to the private ones - that would be fair according to you - do you want to comment on that?

2. Colleges have created special programmes and there is advanced funding available for people from "disadvantaged backgrounds" to go to college. Yet since free fees were introduced (to get "poor" people to go to college) none of these iniatives have created an increased trend of people from the lower socio-economic areas going to college - THEY DON'T WANT TO GO - so why should I and my nephew, niece, my future children. This leads back to the point that people in private schools do well because their peers want to do well, it has very little to do with funding.

sorry if I rambled a bit, i'm tired and not entirely sure my point will come across clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

You have offered your opinion I have offered mine. You say that private school recruits from a modest background thats opinion not a fact. Your misrepresenting your opinion as the reality.

As I said theres people who cant afford private school at the moment do you think thats a bad thing? If not then how would it be a bad thing if those from slightly better off circumstances couldnt afford it?

My problem with the current arrangment is:

A: paying tax payers money to schools which are in no need of money (not all of them)
    B: I think withdraw these funds the schools will do just aswell.

I dont see a problem with withdrawing the funds.

all children should get the same amount of funding from the government.......if their parents pay exrtra,,,,,that is their choice.....no discrimination.......too much of that already..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

all children should get the same amount of funding from the government.......if their parents pay exrtra,,,,,that is their choice.....no discrimination.......too much of that already..

I put it this way. The state should make the same amount of funded education available to all children. If some don't want to avail of it and get their own, they are more than welcome to do so and pay for it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I put it this way. The state should make the same amount of funded education available to all children. If some don't want to avail of it and get their own, they are more than welcome to do so and pay for it themselves.

The problem is the State currenlty can't afford to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Society has no place in a private school.

Get in. See what I.. D'oh, cleared off the line -_-

• Advertisement

The problem is the State currenlty can't afford to do that.

The state can of course afford it. the state already spends the same amount of money on each schoolchild. It will save money by not spending on some of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I think Childrens Allowance should be stopped in respect of any child in private school. there is no need for the state to subsidise wealthy families. From what I hear from local private schools a lot of the fees are not being paid. Around 20% are not paying up. Why should this nonsense be tolerated?

The state can of course afford it. the state already spends the same amount of money on each schoolchild. It will save money by not spending on some of them.

That's if every parents decides to keep their children in private school when the price goes up. If they don't and want to move them to public school then it will cost the Government a lot of money.

That's if every parents decides to keep their children in private school when the price goes up. If they don't and want to move them to public school then it will cost the Government a lot of money.

That is a myth. 90 % of the cost of education to the state is teacher salaries which the state is already paying for in respect of private schools. If pupils move from private to state schools the teachers will naturally move with them at no extra cost to the state. Outside of Dublin the only significant private schools are a few boarding schools. A few extra pupils returning to their home areas to be educated would not cost the state anything. In Dublin there is plenty of room in the existing state system to take additional numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Where did this nonsense start? All the parents who avail of private school are piggybacking on the state funding for schoolchildren. All that is proposed is that the piggybacking stops. How does that cost more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Jo King wrote: »
    Where did this nonsense start? All the parents who avail of private school are piggybacking on the state funding for schoolchildren. All that is proposed is that the piggybacking stops. How does that cost more money?

Two things

1) You're failing to see the effect that changing the funding dynamic has on school populations

2) They're not piggybacking. They are contributing as much, if not more, than non-private school parents towards to state education fund.

That is a myth. 90 % of the cost of education to the state is teacher salaries which the state is already paying for in respect of private schools. If pupils move from private to state schools the teachers will naturally move with them at no extra cost to the state. Outside of Dublin the only significant private schools are a few boarding schools. A few extra pupils returning to their home areas to be educated would not cost the state anything. In Dublin there is plenty of room in the existing state system to take additional numbers.

It's not a myth. It costs the Government nearly twice as much to educate a child in a public school than a private one. Either the class sizes will increase significantly or else new schools will need to be built.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

It's not a myth. It costs the Government nearly twice as much to educate a child in a public school than a private one.
    What is your source for that figure?
    Either the class sizes will increase significantly or else new schools will need to be built.

If the teachers salaries for private schools were no longer to be funded by the state, enrolments in private schools would drop considerably. Some of them would close, some would turn into public schools and some would continue with a reduced enrolment. Most would also have to reduce their staff. In most cases their buildings would be far to big for their new reduced needs. They would have to vacate their building. The state would simply buy them for a small price. It would be more than offset by no longer paying teachers salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Kosseegan wrote: »

If the teachers salaries for private schools were no longer to be funded by the state, enrolments in private schools would drop considerably. Some of them would close, some would turn into public schools and some would continue with a reduced enrolment. Most would also have to reduce their staff. In most cases their buildings would be far to big for their new reduced needs. They would have to vacate their building. The state would simply buy them for a small price. It would be more than offset by no longer paying teachers salaries.
    So you're proposing a net reduction in teachers while increasing the number of students in public schools?

Kosseegan wrote: »

It was on frontline awhile ago. A report by PWC found it costs the state €8k for a pupil in public school and €4k in private school. As you said, enrolments would drop considerable so students would need to move into current ones or new ones acquired. I'm really not sure how small a price they would be bought for, a number of them are in very good locations that would probably be quite attractive investments for people. Then you'd now have the Government who would now be charge of the yearly up-keep of them all. Also the state would still be paying their salaries, teachers wouldn't be let go they would simply be re-deployed. To me this seems like what the breakdown of costs for the state would be

Private:
    Salaries of teachers

Public
    purchase of school
    Salaries of teachers
    maintenance
    regular bills
    equipment
    support staff

• Advertisement

It was on frontline awhile ago. A report by PWC found it costs the state €8k for a pupil in public school and €4k in private school. As you said, enrolments would drop considerable so students would need to move into current ones or new ones acquired. I'm really not sure how small a price they would be bought for, a number of them are in very good locations that would probably be quite attractive investments for people. Then you'd now have the Government who would now be charge of the yearly up-keep of them all. Also the state would still be paying their salaries, teachers wouldn't be let go they would simply be re-deployed. To me this seems like what the breakdown of costs for the state would be

Private:
    Salaries of teachers

Public
    purchase of school
    Salaries of teachers
    maintenance
    regular bills
    equipment
    support staff

there are about 10 times as many in public school as private. the savings on not subsidising the private would create more than enough resources for the public system to handle the increased numbers.

there are about 10 times as many in public school as private. the savings on not subsidising the private would create more than enough resources for the public system to handle the increased numbers.

It doesn't matter how public school there are. No point in having lots of public schools in Kerry with lots of room when the majority of private schools are located in Dublin. The big question is can the Public schools based near the private ones handle a large increase in pupil numbers within a year, very hard to know really. Considering it costs twice as much for a public school kid as a private school one I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion it would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Do private schools have a 'place in society'?
    Yes.
    Do Ireland's state-subsidised, quasi-private schools have a 'place in society'?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

There are legitimate arguments around equity, but abolishing private schools (or removing the so- called 'state subsidy') would increase the overall cost to the state of providing education. Essentially the direct contribution by parents would be gone. It would be the same if private health insurance was banned; the state's healthcare bill would rise (which is why the Govt plans instead to introduce compulsory health insurance, with reductions for those on low incomes).

Ninap wrote: »
    There are legitimate arguments around equity, but abolishing private schools (or removing the so- called 'state subsidy') would increase the overall cost to the state of providing education. Essentially the direct contribution by parents would be gone. It would be the same if private health insurance was banned; the state's healthcare bill would rise (which is why the Govt plans instead to introduce compulsory health insurance, with reductions for those on low incomes).

The direct contribution by parents is only for extras. They would still do it anyway if the children were in public schools.

The direct contribution by parents is only for extras. They would still do it anyway if the children were in public schools.

lol, so they'd donate lots of money to help improve the equipment in school while very few other parents would bother paying? They'd want to be minted for that.

lol, so they'd donate lots of money to help improve the equipment in school while very few other parents would bother paying? They'd want to be minted for that.

They won't be paying any fees so they can well afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I am opposed to the principle of privately funded schools because i believe that all children should be provided with the best standard of education possible regardless of their background.

When the day comes that this applies, then i will happily send my children to a normal state school. as it hasn't yet arrived, I will be sending my daughter to a private school.

I don't earn a fortune, but I am comfortable. the school costs will result in a lot of sacrifices for us, but only material ones. giving your kids the best education you can is the best thing you can do for them so rather than drive around in a 4x4 and go to Florida every year and do my Christmas shopping in New York, which a lot of people seem to think is the norm, I will be spending that money on school fees.

They won't be paying any fees so they can well afford it.

Difference is they probably won't want too and they certainly won't be able to afford it either.

• Advertisement

Difference is they probably won't want too and they certainly won't be able to afford it either.

A lot of people cant currently afford hence my problem with funding the development of a two tier system.

Advertisement