Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do private schools have a place in society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭blackwhite

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I also think those who can afford it should pay a lot more in third level fees for thier kids.

Do you think that if a rich kid walks into a shop to buy milk they should be made to pay more than a kid from a middle-income family who buys the same product in the same shop?

I think your acceptance of unequality something thats foreign to me. I take it you have no problem with my professor vetting against those who went to private shcool? I have a problem with it because discrimination is wrong ............

Need to make your mind up here. In one post you are proposing discrimination, but in another you are saying it's wrong? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

There's an assumption that's implied here: that if the government stopped funding private schools, the parents would shrug their shoulders and stump up the difference. That's just silly. What would you'd actually end up with would be the vast majority of parents having to send their children to public schools and causing more over-crowding and resource stretching there.

As it stands anyone can go to a public school and recieve the same education - that's the kind of equality it's the government's job to provide - and parents of even a relatively modest income can choose to send their children to a school with a stated ethos that they feel would benefit their child. If those children were to go to a public school they'd be taught by teachers on the public payroll, just as they are in the private school. The only difference is that the the parents pay for the cost of running the buildings and acquiring equipment. It perplexes me that people have a problem with parents choosing to directly fund the school their child attends, lessening the burden on the general public.

In a lot of cases the private schools have perfectly good under used public schools in their ctachment area. Synge street is half empty, so is Oatlands to name but two. If all but the very rich had to send their children to public schools, the standards would rise because the parents would insist on proper resources being allocated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

To clarify I dont want to remove private schools from existence. I dont think some of them have a place in society however. Places like gonzaga are driving unequality in society. First of all I would reduce any state funding to private schools to zero. If people want to pay for private schools they should pay through the nose. Those who can should also pay more fees for third level education aswell.

*Snip*

A big percentage of the science lecturers come from ordinary backgrounds and didnt attend private school. There is nothing to stop students today doing the same. Finally Ill say that if private shcools are funded to any extent by taxpayers then they need to increase scholarships.
    There's an assumption that's implied here: that if the government stopped funding private schools, the parents would shrug their shoulders and stump up the difference. That's just silly. What would you'd actually end up with would be the vast majority of parents having to send their children to public schools and causing more over-crowding and resource stretching there.

As it stands anyone can go to a public school and recieve the same education - that's the kind of equality it's the government's job to provide - and parents of even a relatively modest income can choose to send their children to a school with a stated ethos that they feel would benefit their child. If those children were to go to a public school they'd be taught by teachers on the public payroll, just as they are in the private school. The only difference is that the the parents pay for the cost of running the buildings and acquiring equipment. It perplexes me that people have a problem with parents choosing to directly fund the school their child attends, lessening the burden on the general public.

Some people just can't handle others having more money than they do. They can't even think about the subject rationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Right people need to read through all my posts. Part of it is my fault because of the threads title. I dont want to get rid of private schools entirely but something needs to be done to close the gap between the private schools and the public schools. Im a capitalist to the bone. Its what enabled me to do well for myself. My purpose behind this thread is to debate the fact that at the moment money is dictating who is going to college. While kids without college dont have the same chance in life. Now to continue the debate Im going to rectify all misconceptions.

• All kids in my opinion have the right to a good education in my opinion and I want as much as possible done to even up the playing field. I dont see how kids should suffer based on their parents lifestyle.
    • As I stated before I dont think all kids who go to private schools are rich, spoilt or any other derogatory word.
    • I dont think all private schools are the same. Thats why I mentioned private as oppossed to fee paying.
    • As regards jealousy Im a postgraduate in biochemistry I have job options to work at most of the top pharmaceutical industries. Im not bragging but I am not nor will not be short of money. I just dont like the idea of my kids benifiting more than other kids because of that.
    • My problem is the tax payer funding private schools I dont want to remove all private shcools.
    Now based on those points feel free to respond not any perceived notions I may have about jealousy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Right people need to read through all my posts. Part of it is my fault because of the threads title. I dont want to get rid of private schools entirely but something needs to be done to close the gap between the private schools and the public schools. Im a capitalist to the bone. Its what enabled me to do well for myself. My purpose behind this thread is to debate the fact that at the moment money is dictating who is going to college. While kids without college dont have the same chance in life. Now to continue the debate Im going to rectify all misconceptions.

• All kids in my opinion have the right to a good education in my opinion and I want as much as possible done to even up the playing field. I dont see how kids should suffer based on their parents lifestyle.
    • As I stated before I dont think all kids who go to private schools are rich, spoilt or any other derogatory word.
    • I dont think all private schools are the same. Thats why I mentioned private as oppossed to fee paying.
    • As regards jealousy Im a postgraduate in biochemistry I have job options to work at most of the top pharmaceutical industries. Im not bragging but I am not nor will not be short of money. I just dont like the idea of my kids benifiting more than other kids because of that.
    • My problem is the tax payer funding private schools I dont want to remove all public shcools.
    Now based on those points feel free to respond not any perceived notions I may have about jealousy.

What's preventing children succeeding financially who go to public school? They are given everything they need to succeed.

• Advertisement

What's preventing children succeeding financially who go to public school? They are given everything they need to succeed.

Well I did but a lot arent doing so well. I come from a disadvantaged background but a lot come from worse. This article highlights the difference in basic literacy between fee paying and public shcools.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0413/1224314683768.html
    grassroots and from the TUI to end State supports for private schools.

STUDENTS IN fee-paying schools are two years ahead of their counterparts in vocational schools in literacy skills, according to a study which underlines the two-tier nature of Irish education.
    The study says the performance of 15-year-old students in 254 vocational schools – many from socially deprived backgrounds – also lags behind other teenagers in community and comprehensive schools and those in other non-fee-paying secondary schools.
    It also finds that students from fee-paying schools are drawn from the most advantaged strata of Irish society – despite claims these schools have students from all backgrounds.
    Responding to the report last night Teacher’s Union of Ireland General Secretary John MacGabhann said it was now time for the State to stop providing “a turbo boost to the already privileged.’’
    Fee paying schools receive €100 million annually from the exchequer.
    The OECD study analyses the 2009 OECD/Pisa rankings on literacy among Irish teenagers.
    Ireland was ranked 17th in the OECD on literacy, down from fifth in 2000, the sharpest drop experienced by any developed nation.
    The Department of Education is examining how these schools spend an additional €100 million they receive annually in fee payments from parents. It is also examining admission policies in schools, including the use of sibling policies where family members of current and former pupils are given preference.
    The use of these sibling policies is specifically criticised in the new report. It says they play a key role in helping private schools draw students from the better-off section of society. “On average, schools that exercised this preference had a student enrolment with a socioeconomic score that was . . . higher than schools that did not.”
    The study says parents are drawn to private schools “mostly because of the composition of their student bodies. This finding suggests that (socioeconomic) stratification may increase over time unless some structural changes occur”.
    Dr Jude Cosgrove, of the Educational Research Centre at St Patrick’s College, Drumcondra, Dublin, which oversees Pisa in Ireland, says the findings show pupils in fee-paying schools do better because their students are the most advantaged. “Clearly, achievement differences between school types in Ireland are related to the socioeconomic background of their students,” she said.
    Overall, vocational schools had an average reading score of 466 points, compared to 487 in community and comprehensive schools, 504 in non-fee-paying secondary schools, and 539 in fee-paying secondary schools.
    Students in vocational schools, however, had above-average levels of disadvantage when compared with other schools.
    Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn is under pressure from the Labour

The bits in bold highlight some of my problems with the current system.

mloc wrote: »
    After considerable thought, this just strikes me as another entitlement-driven notion that if everyone can't have something, no-one can have it.

Not everyone has the same income, that's life. For some people, it's going to be a lot harder; again, that's life. This isn't a communist country - although our ridiculous culture of entitlement (at all levels) might erode the ideal that if you work hard you get rewarded, as a democratic country with a private market, that's life.

I'm sorry some people don't like their perception of private school culture, but unless you're paying the fees and actually attending yourself, then you're not paying for the product and your opinion doesn't hold much weight.

I agree that government funding of private schools is an important issue, but seeing as the parents of those children are already paying, on average, significantly more to the education system than those attending public schools, on top of rab!dmonkey's points regarding overloading of the public system upon failure of the private system, I don't really think that cutting funding is the answer.

To me, it's like telling parents "you earn more money than me, and you pay fees and more taxes than me, but I don't like your schools because I don't earn enough to send my children to them. Even though I'm contributing far less to the education system, I don't want your tax money going to your kids education any more, but I want you to continue paying for my kid's education"

Screw everything about that "ideology".

Money wouldnt be a problem when It comes to sending my kids to any of those schools thanks. Its a matter people from disadvataged areas being two years behind and what can be done about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

After considerable thought, this just strikes me as another entitlement-driven notion that if everyone can't have something, no-one can have it.

Not everyone has the same income, that's life. For some people, it's going to be a lot harder; again, that's life. This isn't a communist country - although our ridiculous culture of entitlement (at all levels) might erode the ideal that if you work hard you get rewarded, as a democratic country with a private market, that's life.

I'm sorry some people don't like their perception of private school culture, but unless you're paying the fees and actually attending yourself, then you're not paying for the product and your opinion doesn't hold much weight.

I agree that government funding of private schools is an important issue, but seeing as the parents of those children are already paying, on average, significantly more to the education system than those attending public schools, on top of rab!dmonkey's points regarding overloading of the public system upon failure of the private system, I don't really think that cutting funding is the answer.

To me, it's like telling parents "you earn more money than me, and you pay fees and more taxes than me, but I don't like your schools because I don't earn enough to send my children to them. Even though I'm contributing far less to the education system, I don't want your tax money going to your kids education any more, but I want you to continue paying for my kid's education"

Screw everything about that "ideology".

Money wouldnt be a problem when It comes to sending my kids to any of those schools thanks. Its a matter people from disadvataged areas being two years behind and what can be done about it.

I really don't see how private schools are to blame for the mindset of other schools? Yes, more students go to college from private schools but that doesn't actually stop any other students from attending. The problem is the mindset that students have due to their families, peers, etc. Not because of other schools

If you want to fix the problem in disadvantaged areas then go after that. You want to educate those children and encourage them to want to further their education. Don't attack private schools for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Do we think that the notion of "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is still prevalent in Ireland? Especially in relation to the perceived networking benefits that a Private school of repute may afford?

I really don't see how private schools are to blame for the mindset of other schools? Yes, more students go to college from private schools but that doesn't actually stop any other students from attending. The problem is the mindset that students have due to their families, peers, etc. Not because of other schools

If you want to fix the problem in disadvantaged areas then go after that. You want to educate those children and encourage them to want to further their education. Don't attack private schools for no reason.

Im not trying to attack the idea of a private school Im just not great at getting my argument across evidently so apologies for that. I dont like certain aspects of private schools in Ireland like the fact that they reciece government funding. I dont think a lot of them accept whoever pays a certain amount of fees either. According to the report above and others like it some private schools are very careful who they let in.

• Advertisement

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Do we think that the notion of "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is still prevalent in Ireland? Especially in relation to the perceived networking benefits that a Private school of repute may afford?

Bigtime! Ireland has a problem with cronyisim. Private schools in some cases may add to that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭shootermacg

met my child minder on the way home from work, she looked really bothered, apparently some of the scum from a nearby estate, actually started intimidating her and then one dropped his pants and took a **** on the floor.

No I don't want my children encountering this on a regular basis, I don't care why these people are the way they are, really don't. I just don't want my kids to think this is remotely normal behavior.

Im not trying to attack the idea of a private school Im just not great at getting my argument across evidently so apologies for that. I dont like certain aspects of private schools in Ireland like the fact that they reciece government funding. I dont think a lot of them accept whoever pays a certain amount of fees either. According to the report above and others like it some private schools are very careful who they let in.

Every school in the country, private or state, has an admissions policy, and nearly all include a provision that gives siblings priority as mentioned in the report. That's only fair seeing as most parents want their children to all be in the same school. You also sometimes find that people of certain religions will get priority, again only fair if the school is follows a certain religious ethos.

None of that is "picking and choosing". No school, state or private, can refuse a student just because. If the student can pay the fees and there's room for them the school has to accept them really. They don't have the choice to be "careful" for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

This is wrong. The schools are not private. They are fee-paying with teachers salaries being paid from the public purse.
    seeing as the parents of those children are already paying, on average, significantly more to the education system than those attending public schools,

I'd like to see some evidence for this assertion.
    on top of rab!dmonkey's points regarding overloading of the public system upon failure of the private system, I don't really think that cutting funding is the answer.

This too is nonsense. With the state already picking up the bill for the majority of the costs of a fee-paying school all it would have to do is take over the school and make up the difference.
    Squiggle wrote: »
    I used the cost of smoking just to illustrate the point. Nothing annoys me more than the begrudging gobshíte who castigates someone for spending 5 or 6k a year on private education when he spends 10k a year on cigarettes / weekends in the pub.

You used caricatures to make an emotional argument to win over the reader. That's tabloid style writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Except networking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

He doesnt in his mind. He sees that people from public school worked harder to get to the posistion where they are applying for an academic job so he figures theyll work hard in the job. Hes done well for himself so far so hes not really hurting himself.

What makes you think that just because someone went to a private school that they didn't have to work as hard as someone from a public school? That's just an ignorant generalisation.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What makes you think that just because someone went to a private school that they didn't have to work as hard as someone from a public school? That's just an ignorant generalisation.

I dont think it I took him up on it as I said previously. I do think people from different situations works harder than others. A person from a advantaged background didnt work as hard in life to get to the same position as a person from a disadvantaged shcool did. Read my previous posts I know not all private school kids are rich. Im aware some families make massive sacrifices for their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Private School, National School, I'm sure we can agree that School sucked/sucks. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

How? You yourself have said you're from a disadvantaged background and have succeeded in college. To say that money dictates who goes to college here is completely untrue.
    1) Those who cannot afford college fees have their fees paid for by the government.
    2)Many colleges have access programmes for those from disadvantaged areas which provide alternative routes to the course they want besides the Leaving Cert, like Trinity Access Programme/UCD New Era.
    3)Government runs the DARE Scheme for those from disadvantaged areas which offers them lower points for the courses they want.
    4)We have one of the fairest college entry systems anywhere, one that makes it virtually impossible for colleges to discriminate. All they get is a CAO Number, none of your information til you accept an offer.

Everything is being done to increase participation from disadvantaged students and yet there has been no big increase since free fees were introduced. Meanwhile, those in middle or higher incomes have none of these advantages and so must do everything they can to get their course. If people want to pay for private schools to achieve that then so be it. The problem isn't with private schools, it's with the culture and attitude of those in disadvantaged areas.

All kids in my opinion have the right to a good education in my opinion and I want as much as possible done to even up the playing field. I dont see how kids should suffer based on their parents lifestyle.
    And that is why every student gets the exact same capitation grant from government, whether they're rich or poor. The government treats every student equally this way.
    It's ridiculous to say that going to a public school is a "punishment" for students because of their parents wealth. It's what their parents pay for with their tax and it offers the exact same curriculum, books and exams as private schools. Extra money in private schools goes into extra facilities and extra study time. If parents want to pay for that for their child then they are absolutely entitled to do that.

Judging by the amount of people saying they're from public school and did well, in this thread, you don't really have an argument against private schools. It's a free country and if people want to pay for it then so be it. Likewise, if they're being directly funded by the parents (except for the teachers which are state-paid) then they are well within their right to exercise admission policies.

Finally, state-funding shouldn't be removed. You seem to want equality, but only when it benefits the disadvantaged at the expense of those who have worked hard for their money. Why should a person pay far more in tax than others, but receive far less for the tax they're paying?
    Even then, that assumes that loads of people in private schools are from rich families. Many of the people I know that went to private school weren't from rich families, but from middle class families who worked hard and had to forego other things just to give that boost to their children. If state-subsidy was taken away, they wouldn't be able to afford the increase in price and would have to move to a public school. At a time when our public schools are already under severe pressure in class sizes and finances, they really can't take that extra hit.

UrbanSea wrote: »

I dont think it I took him up on it as I said previously. I do think people from different situations works harder than others. A person from a advantaged background didnt work as hard in life to get to the same position as a person from a disadvantaged shcool did. Read my previous posts I know not all private school kids are rich. Im aware some families make massive sacrifices for their kids.

You are still generalising. There is more to a person's work ethic than their school and background. It's not like most "advantaged" people were just handed their position. They worked just as hard as anyone else to get it.

• Advertisement

You are still generalising. There is more to a person's work ethic than their school and background. It's not like most "advantaged" people were just handed their position. They worked just as hard as anyone else to get it.

Thats where Im going to have to disagree. Some people have rubbish teachers and some have better teachers, some have supportive home lives and some have crap home lives. Not everyone works equally hard. While saying that very few people get anything handed to them. I certainly dont think private school kids have it any easier in college academically. Some have an easier time of getting to college IMO.

Thats where Im going to have to disagree. Some people have rubbish teachers and some have better teachers, some have supportive home lives and some have crap home lives. Not everyone works equally hard. While saying that very few people get anything handed to them. I certainly dont think private school kids have it any easier in college academically. Some have an easier time of getting to college IMO.

And what exactly of the factors you mentioned there can affect disadvantaged kids and not private school ones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

The REAL question is - Do Public Schools have a place in society?

Jesus wept.

And what exactly of the factors you mentioned there can affect disadvantaged kids and not private school ones?

With relation to the private schools a better student to teacher ratio and choice of subjects. With relation to an advantaged background such as good parents or supportive parents the advantages of unsupportive parents are clear to see. Private schools on average certainly have more money to invest more in teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

• My problem is the tax payer funding private schools I dont want to remove all private shcools.

I said this already, but heck, I'll say it again.
    Abolishing funding to fee-paying schools, of course, plays into the communist idea of "fairness", where kids aren't given an outright advantage because of their background, parents' financial situation, etc.
    You must realise though, that this IS a purely communist point of view, and not everyone will agree with it. There are so, so many flaws in the argument. Of course, most people would agree that no child should suffer a terrible/inferior education, but just how far do your views extend? Do you think there should be a limit of what size/price a house people can buy? Should there be a ban introduced on SUVs, designer clothing, etc? Should people be allowed private healthcare? Should they be allowed take part in expensive, luxury hobbies?
    Like it or not, it is an inherently human trait to want to display wealth and status. It's not exactly nice, but it's been that way since early humanity.

As regards "entitlements" from the state, you simply can't disregard the contribution of high-earners' taxes to the system. I don't know the figures off the top of my head, and I'm not overly bothered to check them now, but I do know that a massive proportion (majority) of income tax comes from the wealthy. The people who are sending their kids to these school (for the most-part) are the ones paying more taxes, and are arguably just as, if not more entitled to their schools being covered by state funding.
    From a communist point of view, yes it's not great. But from a logistical point of view, if people WANT to throw additional money on top of what they're ALREADY entitled to, this is fair.

Also, I don't agree that the abolition of (state funding of) private schools could somehow encourage less wealthy kids into the universities. How on earth does this correlate? I'd agree with the importance of access to university for everyone, but at the moment, it couldn't be more easy for more disadvantaged kids to get access to higher education. I hope I'm not being too naive in saying that. We do after all, have 'free fees'. Grant systems mean that people coming from lower income families have the registration fees covered (now €2000 in UCD). I mean, surely the people mostly feeling the pinch are the (lower) middle classes who are slightly above the grant threshold?
    I remember reading stats indicating that the 'free fees' did nothing to further encourage more disadvantaged students into higher education. Whether you strive to go to university or not is much more deeply ingrained, and more complex issue than what school you happened to attend.

Edit..When you said you were "capitalist to the bone", did you mean "communist"? 'Moneyless', classless, stateless sort of order? How can you hold the views you've stated and still call yourself a "capitalist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

At the end of the day I think it comes down to the parenting

I know plenty of people from all walks of life who have done great for themselves, and I find the common factor is that they have all been brought up well at home

If someone from a 'working class area' attends a public school and is brought up well, they have absolutely the same chances of going on to third level as someone who attends a private school. There are no financial barriers to college for people from poorer areas as there's a decent grant scheme in place

The problem is that people from poorer areas are more likely to be subject to problems at home than someone from a balanced back ground

With relation to the private schools a better student to teacher ratio and choice of subjects. With relation to an advantaged background such as good parents or supportive parents the advantages of unsupportive parents are clear to see. Private schools on average certainly have more money to invest more in teachers.

You can still get crap teachers and then ratios mean nothing. Some state schools also have smaller numbers than private. I know mine did.

Unsupportive parents do also exist in private education. Just because a parents pays for their Childs education doesn't always mean they will be supportive of their child for whatever reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

You said you were a capitalist to the bone - which means that you're against taxpayers funding private schools - I agree, this is wrong. Private schools should be able to survive based on their own abilities.

Secondly, as a capitalist to the bone, you are also aware of the fact that as a capitalist, the public sector is satan personified.

At the end of the day I think it comes down to the parenting

I know plenty of people from all walks of life who have done great for themselves, and I find the common factor is that they have all been brought up well at home

If someone from a 'working class area' attends a public school and is brought up well, they have absolutely the same chances of going on to third level as someone who attends a private school. There are no financial barriers to college for people from poorer areas as there's a decent grant scheme in place

The problem is that people from poorer areas are more likely to be subject to problems at home than someone from a balanced back ground[/QUOTE]

Very true. Thats why I dont want state funding to go to private schools that have a substantial proportion of students from wealthy backgrounds. (Before anyone bursts a blood vessel Im referring only to those private schools who have a compliment of those from wealthy backgrounds).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

The problem is that people from poorer areas are more likely to be subject to problems at home than someone from a balanced back ground[/QUOTE]

Very true. Thats why I dont want state funding to go to private schools that have a substantial proportion of students from wealthy backgrounds. (Before anyone bursts a blood vessel Im referring only to those private schools who have a compliment of those from wealthy backgrounds).

Well I definitely agree that the state should not be funding private schools when there are far needier public schools in need of renovation etc

Advertisement