Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

roguey wrote: »
    is it shown in 2D anywhere in Dublin? as far as I can tell everywhere is showing 3D only. Really annoys me as I can't stand 3D

Ditto, here in LMK there are three cinemas. One is howing no 2d versions at all, the others have x2 2d screenings a day as opposed to 4 or 5 3d screenings.

Studios....get over it, 3d sucks and is a blatent gimmik. Stop forcing it on people in order to get people away from downloading movies. Tip- if you want people back in cinema seats start making worthwhile movies again and NOT ask them to sell their organs for the privilage. /rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

roguey wrote: »
    is it shown in 2D anywhere in Dublin? as far as I can tell everywhere is showing 3D only. Really annoys me as I can't stand 3D

They're showing both 2D and 3D in Cineworld

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

should i be watching thor before i go see it? seen the rest

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ronano wrote: »
    should i be watching thor before i go see it? seen the rest

if you haven't seen I would recommend watching it before you go , you'll have a better idea of the character then, its also one of the best Marvel movies to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just watched the hulk again and as good as norton was, I thought ruffalo was much better. any reason stark was telling general ross about the avengers at the end or was that just a little way of telling the audience whats coming?

Oh you should def watch thor. People kept going on about how crap it was but I thought it was very good. Worth watching for loki alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just watched the hulk again and as good as norton was, I thought ruffalo was much better. any reason stark was telling general ross about the avengers at the end or was that just a little way of telling the audience whats coming?

Oh you should def watch thor. People kept going on about how crap it was but I thought it was very good. Worth watching for loki alone

I thought Thor was the best of the buildup movies so far. I dont count the first Iron Man as it was Iron Man 2 that was a lead in to the Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Fury did show up in Iron Man 1 first and its where he first mentioned the Avenger initiative so fair to say thats included in the build up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Saw it tonight and posted my thoughts on the IMDb forum. If nobody minds, I'll just copy and paste? Anyway, here goes:

First off, I want to say that if you're a Joss Whedon or Marvel then that is fan service of the highest order. It may be the most expensive fan fiction ever created.

You've got truly heroic moments from your favourite characters, some terrific laughs and an astounding final sequence in Manhattan that must last around 40 minutes. Also, the interactions within each character is the very smartly observed, even if the storyline itself is hardly anything to write home about.

One of the mains problems I had, however, is the same problem I had with Thor. Hugely fantastical elements lightened for casual audiences with broad comedy. Out of the five pre-Avengers films, I enjoyed Thor second least (wasn't a fan of Iron Man 2) because I prefer my superhero films somewhat grounded in my own reality, such as the original Iron Man, The Dark Knight or X2. With Avengers, clearly you need an intergalactic villain of huge proportions but for me, seeing Tony Stark fly away from a giant alien serpent is a bit jarring four years after watching him take on Middle Eastern terrorists.

The second gripe is linked to the first in that suspension of disbelief combines with a sense nothing you're watching has any real bearing. I quickly grew bored during the first Wolverine/Sabretooth fight in Wolverine because watching two people with superpowers isn't that fun. There's nothing at stake and this is a real problem with Avengers - Iron Man and Thor aren't actually going to really hurt one another, fans just want to see them fight and that's what you get.

This is a problem in the third act where despite Loki's army being well established with a sense of forboding, their arrival is akin to watching the TMNT beating on random footsoldiers. They're absolutely hopeless and we know that with big budget sequels for each Avenger on the way, nobody is in any real danger. Unlike in the X-Men movies, nobody here is disposable whatsoever so the multiple fight scenes become a little superfluous.

Having said that, this is a great film. I don't think it'll go down in the very top tier of superhero movies but it is what promises - the first ever truly "all-star" superhero movie and that kind of promise brings unique joys and as I've mentioned, some unique flaws.

(By the way, I write for an Irish website so I'm sure elements of this post will crop up in my review a few days from now - just in case anyone thinks it was plagiarised!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

One of the mains problems I had, however, is the same problem I had with Thor. Hugely fantastical elements lightened for casual audiences with broad comedy. Out of the five pre-Avengers films, I enjoyed Thor second least (wasn't a fan of Iron Man 2) because I prefer my superhero films somewhat grounded in my own reality, such as the original Iron Man, The Dark Knight or X2. With Avengers, clearly you need an intergalactic villain of huge proportions but for me, seeing Tony Stark fly away from a giant alien serpent is a bit jarring four years after watching him take on Middle Eastern terrorists.

The fantastical elements are what you need though for a film such as this. You need your massive intergalactic threats in order to justify a team up of this proportion.

I actually think that the X-Men franchise, while more or less decent, has missed such a huge opportunity due to not fully embracing the fantastical element. If they fully embraced the villains at their disposal, they could have had an epic franchise rather than a lukewarm one.

With Batman though it's different as "grounded reality" works for the character. It's all about finding the strengths of each character at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Agreed - if you have hugely powerful characters grounded in reality (cough Superman cough), and they dont have anyone to hit (hard), then whats the bloody point. That has always been the one thing that has been lacking in the Superman movies - someone to actually put it up to Superman.

And since this is a collection of superpowered individuals, the dynamic of pitting them against a horde of monsters would seem to make sense. The alternative is pitting them against a mirror team of baddies (cough street fighter movie, mortal combat movie cough).

I get what you are saying - i know what movies are coming down the line and as a result, you can infer who is very likely to live, but that didnt take away from the movie for me.

Just my 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Pter wrote: »
    Agreed - if you have hugely powerful characters grounded in reality (cough Superman cough), and they dont have anyone to hit (hard), then whats the bloody point. That has always been the one thing that has been lacking in the Superman movies - someone to actually put it up to Superman.

Bang on the money there, best example one could give.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Ill add that i mean that in the modern age of movies. I dont think the effects were available to make Superman 2 epic by todays standards.

If you did Superman 2 with Avengers SFX, direction and such; you will have a hell of a movie (which is hopefully what will happen next year).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Pter wrote: »
    Ill add that i mean that in the modern age of movies. I dont think the effects were available to make Superman 2 epic by todays standards.

If you did Superman 2 with Avengers SFX, direction and such; you will have a hell of a movie (which is hopefully what will happen next year).

My thoughts exactly, superman returns failed cause the appeal of superman was watching a tiny man fight huge and hugely powerful foes but in returns he what....lifted a large bit of land? Meh, the plane chase scene was great cuase it showed off superman at his best - taking on something massive. Maybe with Zod in the new version we'll get a good old brawl. As of right now the best superman action scenes are in the animated movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

'78 Avengers TV movie. They fight KISS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I still want KISS Save Santa

hightower1 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, superman returns failed cause the appeal of superman was watching a tiny man fight huge and hugely powerful foes but in returns he what....lifted a large bit of land? Meh, the plane chase scene was great cuase it showed off superman at his best - taking on something massive. Maybe with Zod in the new version we'll get a good old brawl. As of right now the best superman action scenes are in the animated movies.

Superman Returns had a sh1te villain, ohhh, Lex Luthor wants LAND! only Superman can defeat an evil property developer. hopefully the new movie gives Supes a more interesting villain than a crafty real estate scammer. the problem with Superman is while the character has a fantastic origin story and mythology, unless he's fighting something that can hurt him back its kinda pointless, thats why Superman 2 was awesome, he's actually in peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    thats why Superman 2 was awesome, he's actually in peril.

Superman can never truly be in peril so long as he has his trusty magic plastic S logo which he can throw at people

With his magic plastic S logo, he can minorly inconvenience his foes

^ yeah genuine WTF with that, even as a kid I hated that scene, love when he crushes Zod's hand though. is Michael Shannon playing Zod in the new one? he's amazing in Boardwalk Empire so will be cool to see what he does with the role

• Registered Users Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭Penn

^ yeah genuine WTF with that, even as a kid I hated that scene

I just never understood why he used that thing, even as a kid. Why didn't he just blow him? (Quit giggling. You know what I mean!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Superman Returns had a sh1te villain, ohhh, Lex Luthor wants LAND! only Superman can defeat an evil property developer. hopefully the new movie gives Supes a more interesting villain than a crafty real estate scammer. the problem with Superman is while the character has a fantastic origin story and mythology, unless he's fighting something that can hurt him back its kinda pointless, thats why Superman 2 was awesome, he's actually in peril.
    Luthor could be one of cinema's great villains if they only thought to make something of him thematically. He's a brilliant human man who irrationally fears the alien, but who rationally fears the ultimate consequences of having an invinciple superman inflict his morality on the world. Next to him, most of the Superman stable of villains amount to large punching bags of varying degrees of toughness. It'll be nice to have a change of pace, but the real shame is that no one's yet made a Superman movie where Luthor wasn't just a one-dimensional greedy antagonist with some kryptonite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tickets booked in glorious 2D.

I thought this 3D fad was over :( Serious lack of screens showing it the way it should be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Thursday night tickets booked for Thursday. Unfortunately only 3D available.

Tickets booked in glorious 2D.

I thought this 3D fad was over :( Serious lack of screens showing it the way it should be seen.

2D showing for me on Thursday as well. the hell with this 3D malarkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Howdy lads and lassies.

For those of you who've seen the advance screenings, was it in 2D or 3D? And if it was the latter, did it add to the experience?

Generally, I try to avoid watching movies in 3D as it just seems tacky and gimmicky, and I'll only go to see the 3D version if the movie genuinely benefits from it (Avatar, How to Train Your Dragon etc), so would be nice to know if it works well in this.

And this has probably been mentioned already (sorry, didn't read the whole thread), but Cineworld are giving out Avenger styled 3D glasses. Choose from Ironman, Thor, Cap or my own preference, Hulk :pac:

For the advanced screening, it was in 2d, the 3d version hadn't even been finished. Whedon said he's not big into 3D but the film was finished and then converted into 3d so there scenes weren't filmed gimmicky like thors hammer coming straight at you, but it's an action film so you'll stil see coming at the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The screening I saw on Monday night was in 3D and while it wasn't spectacular, it did add to my enjoyment. Unless you're dead set against 3D, I'd give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I need to see this. Now. I have managed to avoid all the tv spots but the marketing bonanza really is overkill. Just give me the movie. I need to see it so much I am doing something I rarely do; going to the cinema alone. I'd rather watch this alone or with like minded people who like these kind of movies rather than most of my mates who turn their noses up at superhero flicks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

sheehy83 wrote: »
    For the advanced screening, it was in 2d, the 3d version hadn't even been finished. Whedon said he's not big into 3D but the film was finished and then converted into 3d so there scenes weren't filmed gimmicky like thors hammer coming straight at you, but it's an action film so you'll stil see coming at the screen.

Remember: if you go to a 2D screening, not only are you watching the film as the director intended, but you're also making a very clear and admirable stance against an aesthetic menace that is threatening the cinematic form. A menace that has, arguably, only ever benefited one film, and that film wasn't really very good in the first place.

Also: everyone looks silly in 3D glasses.

• Advertisement

Also: everyone looks silly in 3D glasses.

How can you not look cool in a pair of Avengers 3d glasses!

306678_349659461757144_207111962678562_977805_1193693924_n.jpg

Advertisement