Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

sheehy83 wrote: »
    How can you not look cool in a pair of Avengers 3d glasses!

Point proven.

krudler wrote: »
    I thought Thor was the best of the buildup movies so far. I dont count the first Iron Man as it was Iron Man 2 that was a lead in to the Avengers.

I thought it was OK. Then i watched the deleted scenes which made more sense. They really should have been kept in, or put in for the DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought it was OK. Then i watched the deleted scenes which made more sense. They really should have been kept in, or put in for the DVD.

What were the deleted scenes about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think more or less it's a 4/5 year strategy that has been executed quite well, I mean I don't think they've made a bad film since 2008. Marvel deserve props for something that has been pretty much unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think more or less it's a 4/5 year strategy that has been executed quite well, I mean I don't think they've made a bad film since 2008. Marvel deserve props for something that has been pretty much unprecedented.

Its a pity they dont have the rights to all their characters, Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, would love to see Marvel do their own versions of them, not that the others are bad movies in any sense (except for X3 and spiderman 3, shudder) but it'd be cool to have them all in continuity and in the same universe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I assume you're not counting Wolverine / X-Men First Class there :pac: Iron Man 2 is a dangerously close to being a bit crap as well.

As devil's advocate though, all they've really made are a few somewhat above average CGI-filled blockbusters. While I have enjoyed the Marvel movies in recent times for what they are - especially Thor - I'd much prefer one film of the Dark Knight's quality than several of Marvel quality. There's a place for both at the end of the day, I guess, but I think the inherent absurdity and silliness of Marvel characters denies the potential for a truly great film.

That said, I look forward to the Avengers for some harmless popcorn fun from a talented director.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Definitley going to be the movie experience of the year.

Can't wait to see this tomorrow. Not looking forward to the line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Going to see this in 9hrs :)
    Have a morning cinema session booked in with mates.
    Movie got released Tuesday midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Maybe Captain America and Thor have their merits (though I hated them), but Iron Man 2? Baaaaad film.

Maybe Iron Man 3 will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If I had to put an order on them:

Thor
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2

Thor completely took me by surprise. I knew because of all the Asgard stuff it'd be the most difficult one to pull off, but not only did they manage it, they made just a really great film.

Iron Man 1 is just great, really set the bar high. Then it's a tough call between Captain America and Hulk. Both are actually great films.

Then Iron Man 2 in last place. The villians just ruined that movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Remember: if you go to a 2D screening, not only are you watching the film as the director intended, but you're also making a very clear and admirable stance against an aesthetic menace that is threatening the cinematic form. A menace that has, arguably, only ever benefited one film, and that film wasn't really very good in the first place.

Also: everyone looks silly in 3D glasses.
    ^

Is this what arguments looked like a hundred years ago when they tried to add sound and dialog to films?

The whole lets slate 3D is getting a little old at this stage. Plenty of films have put the technology to great use and while there is the odd dud over all I have to say that I've been impressed by recent 3D films such as Hugo, Transformers 3, Underworld Awakening, Resident Evil After Life, Ghost Rider 2 and a slew others. Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams looked absolutely fantastic in places and animation can really shine in 3D.

3D has a place and while post converted 3D should die a quick death film makers who understand what the technology can bring to a film will do some wonderful things with it. To write all 3D off because you saw one or two films use the tech in a poor manner is ludicrous and to actively try and talk people out of going to see a 3D film that you have not seen is just ridiculous.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    What were the deleted scenes about?

You get to see him and Loki bond as brothers. Loki using his power to trick a frighten people as a funny practical joke. Thor laughing with him. You get to see the warriors 3 and what they are all about. Then you also get to see a bit more of Thor on earth getting used to being a mortal.

3D has a place and while post converted 3D should die a quick death film makers who understand what the technology can bring to a film will do some wonderful things with it.

3D does have a place and its in stage shows and musicals with real people.

They also have a place in cinema, the Imax 3D docs are nothing short of stunning. There are plenty of films that use 3D to enhance what is occurring onscreen, Avatar in 3D is nothing short of breathtaking and far more enjoyable experience than the 2D version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

3D is a tool. It is up to the filmmakers to use it where appropriate and to do it well.

Studios seem to have a hardon at the moment for crowbarring it into every film they can. That needs to stop fast. However, that does not mean 3D should be abandoned altogether.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 frogcheese

I am so excited! I cant wait to see it!!! its actually going to be epic... Iron Man is by far the best superhero! Tony Stark <3

Otacon wrote: »
    3D is a tool. It is up to the filmmakers to use it where appropriate and to do it well.

Studios seem to have a hardon at the moment for crowbarring it into every film they can. That needs to stop fast. However, that does not mean 3D should be abandoned altogether.

Its a tool or an idea to combat piracy (video camera) as well as making a little extra money. I have a 3D TV at home. I dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I've been impressed by recent 3D films such as Hugo, Transformers 3

Pardon?

Must have something in my eye, I though you said you were impressed by Transformers 3 there for a minute.

Its a tool or an idea to combat piracy (video camera) as well as making a little extra money. I have a 3D TV at home. I dont like it.

If it was really a tool to combat piracy then there would be no 2D screenings of films shown in 3D.
    Pardon?

Must have something in my eye, I though you said you were impressed by Transformers 3 there for a minute.

The 3D in the film was breathtaking and amongst the best examples of the tech being used for something visually interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

They also have a place in cinema, the Imax 3D docs are nothing short of stunning. There are plenty of films that use 3D to enhance what is occurring onscreen, Avatar in 3D is nothing short of breathtaking and far more enjoyable experience than the 2D version.

The fact that 3D and IMAX can be used well doesn't mean it usually is, though. Avatar is a great demo of how even a terrible film can be made substantially less bad by judicious use of 3D, but I've seen nothing since then that used the technology anywhere near as well. The fact that studios even bother with post-production conversions shows that a substantial number of 3D releases are not based on a desire to make the film better, but on a purely financial motivation to ensure that they can get more money by having a 3D release. (I'm not opposed to them making money but I do oppose gimmicky crap that doesn't actually add to the viewing experience, and every post-prod conversion I've seen has been crap).

Fysh wrote: »
    The fact that 3D and IMAX can be used well doesn't mean it usually is, though. Avatar is a great demo of how even a terrible film can be made substantially less bad by judicious use of 3D, but I've seen nothing since then that used the technology anywhere near as well. The fact that studios even bother with post-production conversions shows that a substantial number of 3D releases are not based on a desire to make the film better, but on a purely financial motivation to ensure that they can get more money by having a 3D release. (I'm not opposed to them making money but I do oppose gimmicky crap that doesn't actually add to the viewing experience, and every post-prod conversion I've seen has has been crap).

No one is arguing that 3D is anything other than a money making gimmick but in the hands of a capable director it can really add to a film.

I'm not a fan of post converting but there are times when it can look good, Drive Angry and Ghost Rider 2 had some great 3D moments in them but when shooting the film the directors shot with 3D in mind. Clash of the Titans on the other hand was a truly atrocious use of the tech that added nothing, same with Thor which bar the end credits had no real noticeable 3D element

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

The 3D in the film was breathtaking and amongst the best examples of the tech being used for something visually interesting.

Do you really mean 'visually interesting' or just pretty looking? We have Final Fantasy games for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

This has been the longest week ever. Come on Thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I just don't like 3D because I already wear glasses and wearing the 3D ones over them is just uncomfortable.

Sure, some companies convert their films to 3D just to make a bit of extra money, but at the same time, you barely notice it after a while and when 3D is used properly, it can be amazing.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Do you really mean 'visually interesting' or just pretty looking? We have Final Fantasy games for that.

I take it you are one of the many who didn't bother watching the film but was quick to condemn it. There were a number of visually interesting scenes in the film, and yes most of it was very pretty looking but there was also a number of scenes where Bay did something interesting with the camera. The wing suits scene in particular was breathtaking and the 3D in the scene was amongst the best ever captured/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I still maintain that TF3 was for me, the best use of 3D to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I still maintain that TF3 was for me, the best use of 3D to date.

same, along with Avatar, the wingsuit skydiving scene was incredible to see in 3D. as sh1te a movie as it was visually it was brilliant in places.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

No one is arguing that 3D is anything other than a money making gimmick but in the hands of a capable director it can really add to a film.

I'm not a fan of post converting but there are times when it can look good, Drive Angry and Ghost Rider 2 had some great 3D moments in them but when shooting the film the directors shot with 3D in mind. Clash of the Titans on the other hand was a truly atrocious use of the tech that added nothing, same with Thor which bar the end credits had no real noticeable 3D element

At this point, I've seen Avatar, Alice In Wonderland & Tron: Legacy in 3D. Film quality aside, Avatar's 3D was excellent (I've since had to sit through it in a 2D version and Christ did it ever drag without the 3D to keep you engaged), Tron's was kind of pointless (barely noticeable, and never particularly interesting even when it was noticeable), and AiW's was a demonstration of highest-order cack-handedness.

Transformers 3, Drive Angry and Ghost Rider 2 were films I have no intention of watching because, well, let's just say I can tell they're not my thing.

It will be a real shame if the best commercial demonstrations of 3D in film-making continue to be associated with films that are otherwise critically panned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

This time tomorrow I'll be sitting down with a large popcorn about to wet myself!

Advertisement