Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Carmelo has 21 points in the first quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,750 ✭✭✭nerd69

jebforever wrote: »
    Yeah the Bobcats are just absolutely woeful at the moment. They must hope they draft a franchise player which has helped a lot of teams in the past ie. Tim Duncan for the Spurs in 1997 and Wade for the Heat in 2003.

if they get anthony davis hes a beast day 1 star

Rooting for the 76ers to make the playoffs, the Wizards could do them a favour here by beating the Bucks.

Big game between the Texas rivals tonight as well. Mavs are in danger of missing the playoffs and they play the 9th-place Rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

The Mavs continued their great winning streak against the Rockets with a 117-110 victory at the AA Center. Nowitzki had a marvellous fourth quarter, scoring 21 of his 35 points. Carter and Terry had great games. Both players started on the bench, Carter ended up with 23 points and Terry added 19 points. JET also moved into outright 4th place on the all-time career 3-pointers list, passing Chauncey Billups. He is one place behind his teammate Jason Kidd. The Mavs have now won 7 straight games against their state rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Bulls @ Heat at 1! No Rose for the Bulls and no Bosh for the Heat.

• Advertisement

Happy with the start, if Lebron is making jump-shots, not a lot you can do. Starters just need to break even, Bulls bench should have an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

padraig_f wrote: »
    Happy with the start, if Lebron is making jump-shots, not a lot you can do. Starters just need to break even, Bulls bench should have an advantage.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game, but I did see the score this morning. How did the rest of the game go (obviously the Bulls lost) but were there any decent talking points?

I really wouldn't like to play the Knicks in the play-offs and now we're faced with needing to win out to take the top seed if Miami win all of their remaining games. Considering we have Dallas and Indiana in two of the remaining 3 then it's no easy task.

Interesting comment on LeBron James from Sam Smith about how serious the Bulls thought LeBron was about joining Chicago:
    I do wonder what LeBron really thinks. Because everything you hear is that he isn’t all that pleased with Miami. His image has taken a major blow and you don’t see him as a popular figure in commercials much anymore. As I said, I think that does bother him. I don’t think he ever was serious about the Bulls, but the Bulls believed otherwise. The untold story of their recruitment of LeBron was how sure they were he was coming to Chicago. I’d heard they were so convinced after the initial sessions and LeBron’s longest time spent with anyone being with Thibodeau talking basketball that the Bulls were already beginning to work on things for James beyond basketball. There’s been much about how Rose didn’t recruit him, but Rose doesn’t recruit anyone and I believe would have been fine with James. Thibodeau also always believed because he defends twos that Deng could have played that position as well as James. I do believe James’ first choice was to remain in Cleveland, but he couldn’t get anyone to join him, at least guys like Bosh and Stoudemire. So he opted for his buddy’s sales pitch. Though Wade toyed with the Bulls, I believe it was just that as a backup in case James stayed in Cleveland and no one would join Wade in Miami. The interesting part is what happens of Miami doesn’t win. LeBron can be a free agent in 2014. Should the Bulls start dumping some contracts and take a run at free agency again as Rose will only be 25 and give James a mulligan?

Paully D wrote: »
    Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game, but I did see the score this morning. How did the rest of the game go (obviously the Bulls lost) but were there any decent talking points?

I really wouldn't like to play the Knicks in the play-offs and now we're faced with needing to win out to take the top seed if Miami win all of their remaining games. Considering we have Dallas and Indiana in two of the remaining 3 then it's no easy task.

The Bulls stunk offensively, 35% FG, 2-16 from 3-point range. They created ok shots, just a bad shooting night. Defensively it was ok, if you hold the Heat to 83 points, and don't suck offensively in future you'll be doing ok.

Talking points were the Heat's dirty tactics (think Pat Riley might've taken a training session). James Jones got ejected early on for a flagrant-2 on Noah. Wade pushed Rip Hamilton to the floor after play had stopped, called a flagrant-1, but could've been flagrant-2 as well.

Then LeBron had a questionable screen on John Lucas III that sent him flying to the ground, looked like he might've stepped into it. Was a no-call, which was probably fair enough, though was definitely a hard screen.

Overall wasn't unhappy with the performance. Will have those off shooting nights, and tough to win on the road without Rose when you get them. Very tight now though for the 1-seed, which is crucial, as much to avoid the Knicks & Pacers as the ECF home-court advantage. The Pacers are going really well and think they're capable of a 2nd round upset.

My biggest cheer of the night: a Nene layup for the Wizards.

Did us a huge favour, Bulls just need to beat the Cavs now to secure the 1-seed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I know Miami were missing people tonight but that's still a terrible loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

kmart6 wrote: »
    I know Miami were missing people tonight but that's still a terrible loss!

Didn't see the game but soon as I got the notification that they were resting so many, I had a feeling it was a write-off for them. Does it matter at this stage? 2nd is wrapped up, Bulls have 1st in the bag, may as well make sure they're injury free going into the play-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

leggo wrote: »
    Didn't see the game but soon as I got the notification that they were resting so many, I had a feeling it was a write-off for them. Does it matter at this stage? 2nd is wrapped up, Bulls have 1st in the bag, may as well make sure they're injury free going into the play-offs.

And yet Wade dislocates his finger :pac: He will be fine though by the looks of it. I don't think either the Bulls or Miami will want a first round game against the Knicks, could be tricky.

padraig_f wrote: »
    The Bulls stunk offensively, 35% FG, 2-16 from 3-point range. They created ok shots, just a bad shooting night. Defensively it was ok, if you hold the Heat to 83 points, and don't suck offensively in future you'll be doing ok.

Talking points were the Heat's dirty tactics (think Pat Riley might've taken a training session). James Jones got ejected early on for a flagrant-2 on Noah. Wade pushed Rip Hamilton to the floor after play had stopped, called a flagrant-1, but could've been flagrant-2 as well.

Then LeBron had a questionable screen on John Lucas III that sent him flying to the ground, looked like he might've stepped into it. Was a no-call, which was probably fair enough, though was definitely a hard screen.

Overall wasn't unhappy with the performance. Will have those off shooting nights, and tough to win on the road without Rose when you get them. Very tight now though for the 1-seed, which is crucial, as much to avoid the Knicks & Pacers as the ECF home-court advantage. The Pacers are going really well and think they're capable of a 2nd round upset.

Brilliant review, thanks.

Wait and see the Knicks roll over tonight so they can have a chance to play us in the first round of the playoffs!

And yet Wade dislocates his finger :pac: He will be fine though by the looks of it. I don't think either the Bulls or Miami will want a first round game against the Knicks, could be tricky.

I agree, if it's them or 76ers you want 76ers every day of the week. But it looks like they mightn't even get to decide, it's in the Knicks hands now and I'd say they'd much prefer the Bulls. Miami are too much of an unknown quantity in the play-offs for any team to want to take on.

I agree, if it's them or 76ers you want 76ers every day of the week. But it looks like they mightn't even get to decide, it's in the Knicks hands now and I'd say they'd much prefer the Bulls. Miami are too much of an unknown quantity in the play-offs for any team to want to take on.

i think it depends on roses health with him the bulls are very very good without him they rely on there bench to outlast the other teams starters

miami have huge potential but are way to hot and cold for the playoffs if a team can slow them down on the break they become an average team add lebrons annual disappearing act and it makes the miami the easier of the two in my opinion if rose is at his best

Hmm yeah, it's a rock and a hard place situation really as the two are a cut above the rest of the East. But the Knicks can scalp anyone on their day...especially if they got a bit of momentum during the series.

Miami caught fire during last season's play-offs and I'd expect them to do so again, at least until the Conference Finals when they may be tested against either Chicago or Boston imo. But them vs the Knicks is a potential dream series/underdog story in the making.

So because I kinda want the Knicks to cause an upset, I'd still probably rather Chicago. They seem to match up well and, if D Rose is still injured, the Knicks would have a great shot I feel. Plus, even if the Bulls do go through, it'll still be an entertaining as hell series and not one-way traffic at all. Whereas if the Knicks give Miami some breathing space, they'll likely give up halfway through and get sweeped.

Anyone just seen that elbow by Artest there? :eek: He's been ejected anyway, flagrant 2. Surely a long ban coming up for that?

Surprised to see the Knicks win earlier. I'd have thought they'd have layed down to avoid having to play the Heat in the first round of the playoffs. Brilliant news from a Bulls point of view though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Jesus that was some elbow there. Caught him clean.

• Advertisement

An absolute idiot. Why do that right before the playoffs especially? In a game you're winning? In a game that isn't important to begin with? For no good reason?

Oh yeah, because he's Ron Artest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Artest has been and always will be insane, he just has a screw loose which iss highly entertaining for the most part but something like this is clearly disgraceful.

Really looking forward to watching the Knicks in the playoffs, they have some of the most talented players in the league. Melo is a cancer but he can really turn it on when he gets going, Chandler, Amare, Smith, Bibby, and solid players in Novak, Fields and Shumpert.
    Then one of my favorite players ever, B Dizzle (Baron Davis) sensationaly talented player that has suffered from injuries but on his day he can really explode. I think he could really feed off the playoff atmosphere in the garden and be one to watch, hopefully.

Wow @ Artest, I knew he was crazy but not that crazy. If Bynum got a 5-game suspension for his hit on Barea last year, gotta be thinking 10+ games for Artest.

Good finish to this Lakers-Thunder game.

mwp was wrong theres no ifs or buts about it and he deserves the suspension hes gona get but was harden looking for something running into him for no reason

nerd69 wrote: »
    mwp was wrong theres no ifs or buts about it and he deserves the suspension hes gona get but was harden looking for something running into him for no reason

No

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

In a game you're winning? In a game that isn't important to begin with?

They were actually losing at the time!

You might think that game wasn't important just cause it didn't affect standings, although that said if the Lakers had lost the Clippers would be in a position to over take them, but that game was important, coming back from 15+ down to win is huge for them, especially with the fact the Playoffs are next week! You just know Kobe will use that game as motivation!

Oh yeah, I agree, obviously the win is a big boost and it'll benefit them. But at the same time, it had no massive implications and had they been blown out they could've easily written it off, so I meant it more in that sense (besides, if you're the Lakers do you really want to finish 3rd and face Dallas again after what happened last year?).

I think the Artest incident motivated them to get the W, if anything. Kobe reached deep into his bag of tricks to pull that out, he was not losing that game come hell or high water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Kobe was insane during the OTs, Sefalosha was playing some incredible defence, and Kobe was still nailing shots for fun.
    Only good thing for OKC was that Westbrook and Durant shot so badly, on alot of wide open shots, 14 out of 56 shot combined, and still the game was close all the way through. I can't see that happening too often during the playoffs.

Mod note As disgusting as Artest's elbow was the Sports forums have rules about insulting players, I've edited one post, please no more name calling, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Knicks are playing exceptionally at the moment, especially Anthony. Makes me smile when in another nba forum here, I was the only one who stuck up for him, when people said he was overated! 39 points last night says otherwise! Bring on the Heat! With woodson's defence we will atleast have a chance, cant wait

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    Knicks are playing exceptionally at the moment, especially Anthony. Makes me smile when in another nba forum here, I was the only one who stuck up for him, when people said he was overated! 39 points last night says otherwise! Bring on the Heat! With woodson's defence we will atleast have a chance, cant wait

Anthony is probably an outsider for MVP at this stage, if he started the season in this form he would walk away with MVP.

Advertisement