Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

When I was diagnosed I was treated as a type 2 but I dident have the typical symptoms of it, nor did I have the typical symptoms of type 1. It was described as late/slow onset type 1. I was on oral medication for a year and a half but it gradually became less effective. Exactly a year ago I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic, the auto-immune type, I have the test results to prove it.
    I take 4 units of novarapid in the morning, 4 at lunch and 6 in the evening then 16 levemir at night. My consultant said he thinks I have brittle diabetes as I have never been able to control it with any type of medication and my reaction to insulin is so sensitive and unpredictable. So if if I have to classify myself I would have to say I have type 1.5 brittle diabetes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm not trying to get into an argument here, there is enough of that all over boards but if we go down that path this thread will have to be split into 3 sections, Type 1, Type 2 and General. Why should Type 1 get to keep the main thread?

If there is an acceptance that there is a distinct difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes- which does appear to be the case- perhaps its not an unreasonable question. There are various discussions of particular pertinence to type 1s (such as the postgrad survey in Trinity at the moment as an example)- which are not applicable to type 2s- and similarly there is a new EU funded campaign aimed at type 2s, as opposed to type 1s. Yes- you have a group of people referred to as type 1.5s- actually in an Irish context there are more recent 1.5s diagnosed than there are type 1s- however the advice and support from either type1 and T2 would be applicable (of course keeping in mind the unique nature of how any particular person is affected).
    I found this forum a great help when I was considered a type 2 and have found it a great help since being considered a type 1. That is my only point. If type 2's want their own forum give it to them but lets not cast them out because they are not the same as us.

Personally I think it would be great to have this as a general thread- and specific threads pertinent to T1s, T2s etc- but thats just my tuppence.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

I do believe that type 2 is more restrictive as far as diet is concerned as type 1's can adjust their insulin accordingly if they fancy a little treat after dinner or if they just aren't as hungry as they usually are. However, I have found from experience that weight can tend to creep up the more you mess with insulin so it is generally best to stick to a pretty regimented diet, although we all have our weaknesses!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

T1 I was diagnosed with it when I was 10 but when I had my oesophagus removed I suffered from dumping syndrome (food can litterally rush through me) which makes life complicated. My insulin intakes are highly variable as a result. I am supposed to eat several times a day but end up eating small high calorie meals. I did have the honeymoon period for a while before all my islets of langerhans gave up and was off insulin for a year after diagnosis. In those days you had to use a syringe and animal insulin to which I had a bad allergic reaction and had to take antihistamines to counter, so I was always tired in school as they did not have the next generation of antihistamines then. Having it as a child has coloured my views as i was bullied for drinking diet drinks as "only fat people drink them" and I was not fat, still am not. There is so much ignorance about diabetes. Having said that there are far worse things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

T1
    I presume there's no way to re-open a SHARPAK once it's locked? (I'm an idiot and locked it by mistake while messing with it) and it's the Public Health Nurse who you give it to, to dispose of it yes? I've only been diagnosed a week so I'm still getting a handle on all of this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Redmal wrote: »
    I do believe that type 2 is more restrictive as far as diet is concerned as type 1's can adjust their insulin accordingly if they fancy a little treat after dinner or if they just aren't as hungry as they usually are. However, I have found from experience that weight can tend to creep up the more you mess with insulin so it is generally best to stick to a pretty regimented diet, although we all have our weaknesses!
    T2 but i can eat what i want, within reason, as i have plenty of opportunity to burn it off. And i vary my insulin to suit my readings and expected work load. So i use a T1 regime to treat T2? Not being argumentative (well just a bit;)) as i had forgotten which i had until this T1vT2 issue came up.

I would be against splitting as there seems to be more T1s on the thread, judging from the last few pages, and i think the T2 thread would fade away leaving a T1 thread and nothing for the occasional lookin by a T2. Imo anyway

T1
    I presume there's no way to re-open a SHARPAK once it's locked? (I'm an idiot and locked it by mistake while messing with it) and it's the Public Health Nurse who you give it to, to dispose of it yes? I've only been diagnosed a week so I'm still getting a handle on all of this!
    T1 It happened with mine - my husband had to use brute force to open it - not to be reccomended:P

CathyMoran wrote: »
    T1 It happened with mine - my husband had to use brute force to open it - not to be reccomended:P

Sounds like a possibility, I can't imagine the Public Nurse (he/she is the one I give it to yes?) would be too happy if I turned up with an almost empty box and asking for a new one!

What is a sharpak?
    You dump your test strips and needles in it when you're cleaning out your kit. You're not supposed to dump them in the general refuse.

smccarrick wrote: »
    You dump your test strips and needles in it when you're cleaning out your kit. You're not supposed to dump them in the general refuse.
    I was told I could dump my test strips in refuse, come to think of it they are covered in blood, probably best not to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Sounds like a possibility, I can't imagine the Public Nurse (he/she is the one I give it to yes?) would be too happy if I turned up with an almost empty box and asking for a new one!

Happened to me when I was first diagnosed as well. It was something new to play with so I had to test it out :p. Brought it to the local health centre the next day and got a new one, no hassle.

smccarrick wrote: »

I was told the sharps box was only for neddles not to put anything else in it. My test strips go the bin. The nurse showed me how to open the strip so part of the package stays intact and the blood side of the strip goes back in it.

I was told the sharps box was only for neddles not to put anything else in it. My test strips go the bin. The nurse showed me how to open the strip so part of the package stays intact and the blood side of the strip goes back in it.

I was told glass vials, syringes, needles, test strips and alcohol wipes- could all be disposed in it- but not to go over the marked line under any circumstances. We have insulin, neocytamen and other injectable medications (Clexane etc) and their needles in the box).

As a vet I sit next to in work once said- if my wife and I were horses- he'd take both us out to the back yard and shoot us....... (no disrespect intended to poor Synchronised)........

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

My 10 year old is type 1.I have done that also with the sharpak.You could just go to the chemist and get a new one from them,They do be smaller also and easier to store.The chemist might take the one you locked if its similar to the one's they use.Hope that help's.

Actually just saw smccarrick post on glass vials,Now you think your silly for locking your sharps box eurovisionmad.My son is 4 years ty1 so how do you dispose of the insulin in a vial if its been open/used up to the 5-6 week opened date.My son would never go through a full vial and he is on 3 injections a day.Do you just stick it in the sharps box,I'm very careful about what i'd pour down the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Does everyone have a sharps box? I've never had one, either has my dad (he is about 35 years type one) I do remember asking my pharmacy for one years ago and they said they didnt supply them.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Does everyone have a sharps box? I've never had one, either has my dad (he is about 35 years type one) I do remember asking my pharmacy for one years ago and they said they didnt supply them.

Diabetic clinic in Beaumont hospital gave me one and told me to bring it to my local health centre when it was full and get a new one. How do you dispose of your neddles?

Yep i was handed two huge one's when my son was 1st diagnosed leaving the hospital,At that time it took a year nearly to fill one,as he was only on one injection.I was told the chemist take them by the hospital or just to bring it back at his next visit,So i took it to the chemist and they said they could only take their own one's back.Maybe not all chemist do them.

Was just about to ask the same question as Meauldsegosha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I never had sharps boxes until they started me on the pump. They send out huge ones in the post for me as the insertion things wouldn't fit in the regular sharps bins. I just hand them to the reception at the GP's as the pharmacy won't take the big ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Thanks guys,

When I was on injections I just capped the needles and binned them, I did have clipper thing for them about 12 years ago but that got lost at some point.

Im on the pump now and I just bin everything. The insertion needle has its own folding mechanism so people are protected from it and it is broken and unusable when it is binned. Everything else is just packaging.

• Advertisement

While there a few people still posting i have a question.
    The skin on my son's feet peel all the time,I keep forgetting to say it to the nurses i dry them for him after his shower or bath to make sure they are bone dry,and also blow dry just cause it makes him laugh.I put vaseline on them then cotton sock's so he does not slip and he takes socks of going to bed,Does this happen anyone else.

triona1 wrote: »
    T1 Actually just saw smccarrick post on glass vials,Now you think your silly for locking your sharps box eurovisionmad.My son is 4 years ty1 so how do you dispose of the insulin in a vial if its been open/used up to the 5-6 week opened date.My son would never go through a full vial and he is on 3 injections a day.Do you just stick it in the sharps box,I'm very careful about what i'd pour down the sink.
    Hope that you do not mind me asking but do they still not use the pen for younger people. The pen is great.

No Cathy i have a pen lying around the house as my husbands cousin is type1 so i taught that also we just tried to leave it about the house so he could see it and pick it up and be familar with it,he will not use a pen and i have had it here 3 years just so he could see(empty).And he is a no no for pump.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll be on telly on Sunday morning...

...well me and 35,000+ other people doing the London Marathon.

7094445697_acf762446a.jpg

I'll not be breaking any world records, but I do plan on finishing around about 2:55'ish so should be whilst the program is still on BBC1.

Sorry to say that I'll not be making a fool of myself in a fancy dress outfit though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

hi, diagnosed 2 years ago. had a idiotic doctor who i went to 4 times with vertigo and being tired all the time and no once did he do a blood test, thank god for my mum, because my mum brought me to another doctor, had no energy to think, so going to another doctor wasn't even thought, he did all the test and was in hospital within a week. 2 years down the road and i feel totally normal again. thank god.

only after seeing this thread.

there was a diabetes seminar in mahon point today. karl henry was there from operation transformation. could listen to him all day. very reassuring and very informative.

Type 1 people! I'm just curious, what's your typical insulin . . . regime I suppose is the word, I know it varys from day to day but on a typical day what brands of insulin do you take and how many units?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Type 1 people! I'm just curious, what's your typical insulin . . . regime I suppose is the word, I know it varys from day to day but on a typical day what brands of insulin do you take and how many units?

Novarapid (a fast acting insulin which starts working within about 5 mins, peaks in 2 hours and lasts about 4 hours).

My total daily dose from 30 to 35 units - depends on how indulgent I'm feeling:-)

My little wifey takes 8 or 9 units of Lantus at night (depending on the GI of her evening carbs) along with between 40 and 60 units of Novorapid during the day (depending on what she eats- which more often than not isn't a hell of a lot!). More novorapid and less lantus means that she has a lot more flexibility over what she eats- but also monitors a lot more closely, as its very very easy to get the dose wrong (particularly as a lot of the packaging and advisory notices for foods are often totally bizarrely wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

12 year old daughter takes 56 units if humulin m3 at 8am. 25 humulin s at 6pm and 27 humulin I at 9pm.

• Advertisement

I take between 10 and 14 units of novarapid during the day, depends on what I'm eating and how much. 22 units of lantus at night.

Advertisement