Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I'm on 23.5 units of apidra as background/basal at the minute although its normally 20 units. I have had to put it up as Im recovering from a fracture and have lots my fitness and gained in fattness. :D

During the day I take 20 - 30 units depending on how much I eat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I forgot to say my own, I'm still only sort of figuring out what works for me though! I normally take 30 units of NovoRapid during the day (dived into 10/10/10 at the moment) and 16 units of Lantus at night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

T1 My darling hubby is a bit wrong at the moment. I take 7-8 lantus and less than 20 novorapid...I am not eating much as he is in hospital at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I was treated as T1 for 12 months before they realised I was T2.

I take 14 units of Lantus in the morning, and 44 in the evening.

I need a bucketload of novorapid in the morning too (my ratio is set at 3 units to 1 Cp, but with corrective doses taken, my ratio is over 8 to 1).

Otherwise, i've to take 2 units of Novorapid for every 10grams of carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Type 1 people! I'm just curious, what's your typical insulin . . . regime I suppose is the word, I know it varys from day to day but on a typical day what brands of insulin do you take and how many units?

Levemir 24 units at night
    Novorapid typically 6-8 units per meal .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I am on lantus (22-24 units) at night and novarapid (8-14 per meal usually). I have been on this regimen for years now and works very nicely:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

robinph wrote: »
    I'll be on telly on Sunday morning...

...well me and 35,000+ other people doing the London Marathon.

How did the marathon go Robin? Hope you did yourself proud.

Best wishes,

S.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

smccarrick wrote: »
    I'll be on telly on Sunday morning...

...well me and 35,000+ other people doing the London Marathon.

How did the marathon go Robin? Hope you did yourself proud.

Best wishes,

S.
    Ow.

It hurt a lot. Did 3:08 so still got a qualifying time for the Good For Age category next year, but it was a way off what I wanted and should be capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Lantus at midday- 24 units.
    Novorapid - 3 injections totalling 21/22 units usually.

Congrats on the marathon robinph!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ow.

It hurt a lot. Did 3:08 so still got a qualifying time for the Good For Age category next year, but it was a way off what I wanted and should be capable of.

3:08 - thats incredible! Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I take about 50-60 units a day according to the log on my pump, with the basal being about 16 units and the rest as many boluses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Depends on the time of the year:

Winter/Spring 24 Lantus and anywhere between 50 and 100 novorapid.

Summer/Autumn: 20 lantus and 25 - 50 novorapid

I vary my novorapid quite alot as my day to day routine is rarely constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Have to bring my lady to the gp, she cut her finger yesterday and this mornings it's all swollen and infected he has green stuff coming out of it.

Also her eyesight is getting worse she sits at the back of class and can't see the writing on the blackboard it's blurred. Think she is going short sighted, this was picked up on a few months ago at her eye exam but at the time it was mild and we were told to bring her in for a test if it gets worst..

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Type 1.

Average about 45-55 units a day on the pump. Novorapid btw. :)

Anyone see the news today about funding for type 1 patients. It started trending on Twitter by DiabetesUK retweeting a commment about if funding was better channeled there would be less complications later on in life, as well as lots of comments on Diabetes and depression.

Low and behold it was on the news about visible symptoms for T1 diagnosis in young people hours later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends on the time of the year:

Winter/Spring 24 Lantus and anywhere between 50 and 100 novorapid.

Summer/Autumn: 20 lantus and 25 - 50 novorapid

I vary my novorapid quite alot as my day to day routine is rarely constant.

Going to assume that's exercise related variance?

That's quite an effect Novorapid wise, if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Ow.

Woman died with a mile to go this year. This sudden cardiac arrest (assuming it's the cause) is getting frighteningly common.

Albection wrote: »
    Going to assume that's exercise related variance?

That's quite an effect Novorapid wise, if so.

It is indeed, on the days where I am participating in distances over 200km my novorapid will drop to less than 5units/24hours, I only have to start increasing it in multi-day events where my body starts to get tired and attempts to make me sleep through whatever dirty tricks it can manage.

I will have a trickle on effect of 1-2 days of only max 20 units and then back to my normal 30 approx units/day during the summer.

The high levels of Novorapid are only really about when I am off my bike for prolonged periods, usually during the winter where commuting is my only excercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Does anyone have any experience of the diabetes services in the CUH? I'm currently with the Bons but would probably eventually change from private to the public system so I'm curious what people think of the CUH services.

Woman died with a mile to go this year. This sudden cardiac arrest (assuming it's the cause) is getting frighteningly common.

About 30,000 people run the London marathon, not all of them are as fit and healthy as they think naturally enough. That only one person dropped dead is the surprise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

Does anyone find that say 2 hours after eating blood sugar can be fine then another hour later it starts to creep up later? I'm always taking corrective doses :( last night at 3am I was 5.6 then at 8am I was 12!!! Dawn phenomenon I guess. Finding it do hard to control my diabetes lately.

Testing at 3 am? :eek: was that a one off?

What is your insulin regime? - types and times

mike65 wrote: »
    Testing at 3 am? :eek: was that a one off?

What is your insulin regime? - types and times[/QUOTE

if I wake up I check it. I'm probably eating too much as I'm constantly hungry lately :( but I'd have 4 units at breakfast if blood is normal, 4 at 11, 6 at lunch and usually 6 at dinner. I might have cereal before bed, which I am now and my blood was 11 so I took 8 units as I know if will probably creep up later too. I take 12 units of lantus. I did the Berger course but I still get the highs.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

I suffered with the same problem. Initially it was thought that I may have been having mini hypos at night time but the 3am checks proved otherwise. I was told that it's basically hormones that make it creep up like that. I was put on a long lasting insulin to take just before bed and I haven't had a problem since. You really need to speak to your diabetes nurse or to a doctor at your next visit about getting this controlled. You may not need the long lasting insulin, you may just need the stuff you're on at the moment tweaked a bit, but it's worth the chat with someone just for a bit of clarification.

I know from experience that it can be totally disheartening to feel like you are doing everything right but things still don't seem to work out for you. I used to avoid checking my sugars because I knew that they would be high and this just made things a whole lot worse! Hopefully you'll get it sorted smile.gif

Edit: Sorry just realised that you are on a long lasting insulin. You may need to take more, but you really need to speak to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I get the huge rises in blood glucose too, I go to bed fine, and wake up in the 11s, every day. Its a pain to say the least, cos I spend the day worrying about it, and have to correct again at half 11 too.

I'd increase the long acting insulin by 2 units every 48 hours without changing anything else.

That said, cereal for late supper is probably not the best thing even with an intake of quick acting insulin, it best to go to bed knowing your blood sugar level is basically "static".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone see the news today about funding for type 1 patients. It started trending on Twitter by DiabetesUK retweeting a commment about if funding was better channeled there would be less complications later on in life, as well as lots of comments on Diabetes and depression.

Low and behold it was on the news about visible symptoms for T1 diagnosis in young people hours later.

Didn't see it but that would make sense.

I'm going to my consultant in a few weeks so il mention it. The problem with me is I always seem to be hungry, I'm not overweight or anything, and usually have a snack before bed with insulin. That usually means its not static when I'm going to bed, and I don't know sometimes whether it's going up or down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    I'm going to my consultant in a few weeks so il mention it. The problem with me is I always seem to be hungry, I'm not overweight or anything, and usually have a snack before bed with insulin. That usually means its not static when I'm going to bed, and I don't know sometimes whether it's going up or down.
    T1 Eat more earlier. You are a diabetic now - you have things that you have to do to stay healthy. Test more often too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Some of The Mayo Parents Support Group who took part in todays West of Ireland Mini-Marathon in Castlebar.

576814_400871883280100_153488244685133_1357417_902917825_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/MayoParentsSupportGroup

Advertisement