Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

What ever you think of abortion, people should have the freedom of choice IMO.

Babies should have the freedom to live.

An abortion is killing a baby. IMO this is wrong (not even in an overly religious way) and so it should not be allowed.

However I do accept that there are some tough circumstances and I would never look down on or hold something against anyone who gets an abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Des Carter wrote: »
    An abortion is killing a baby.

Incorrect. It is no more killing a baby than it is killing a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I didn't realise abortion threads were so popular

I thought I was being original

I dont think their popular or original.

Give it another go, how about a dub vs culchie or whats the best city in Ireland or perhaps a public sector vs private sector thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Am torn to be honest. Have friends who have have gone down that route, and others who did not, and have lovely kids now.
    In fairness, I've seen some really ugly kids.
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    More important question is what is the time limit?
    Up to 5 years. See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

mloc wrote: »
    Incorrect. It is no more killing a baby than it is killing a teenager.

I don't understand what you are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

If abortion is an act of "murder" as the pro lifers call it, is having a **** an act of genocide??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

DarkJager wrote: »
    If abortion is an act of "murder" as the pro lifers call it, is having a **** an act of genocide??

Is all your comedic stuff original?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

anhedonia wrote: »
    what kind of music would complement abortion?
    has there been any decent abortion tunes over the years?

Abortion: A lyrical miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Irish politicians are a bunch of snivelling cowards. 20 years since the x case and still no legislation to reflect the judgement.

To answer the question - I'm pro-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

To hell with the woman's choice. It's not your body anymore. As soon as you become pregnant your body belongs to the baby as much as it belongs to you.

I don't think this "pro choice" argument stands up in the same way I don't think it stands up if used to defend a mother who drinks and smoke when pregnant.

To hell with your choice. I don't consider my opinion to be based on religious grounds in any way shape or form and I'm more "anti-choice" than I am "pro life".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Sheeps wrote: »
    To hell with the woman's choice. It's not your body anymore. As soon as you become pregnant your body belongs to the baby as much as it belongs to you.

I don't think this "pro choice" argument stands up in the same way I don't think it stands up if used to defend a mother who drinks and smoke when pregnant.

To hell with your choice.

And if the baby stands no chance of survival outside the womb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Given I lived in the womb for nine months, I can say it was not my mother's right to have a choice to kill me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

To hell with your choice. I don't consider my opinion to be based on religious grounds in any way shape or form and I'm more "anti-choice" than I am "pro life".

You male or female, Sheeps?

Well, what if the woman 'chose' to commit sucicide? Do you think this would be a better result than having the option of abortion available?

To hell with your choice.

And if the baby stands no chance of survival outside the womb?
    There are always exceptions and it's never black or white and this may be one of them along with some of the circumstances that it's legal at the minute to get an abortion. Threat to mothers life and no chance of survival, up to a certain stage of pregnancy etc.

Freely available abortion will become a form of contraception to the fcuking idiots that don't use contraception.

You male or female, Sheeps?
    Male, but this makes no difference. The point still remains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Easy to say when you'll never physically have to deal with it.

• Advertisement

Some men are dealing with abortion everyday. Usually after the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Freely available abortion will become a form of contraception to the fcuking idiots that don't use contraception.

Hysterical bull****. If it was ever legal it would be in absolutely necessary cases only. The pro life crowd would like you to believe that abortion would be as easy to book as a restaurant table.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Hysterical bull****. If it was ever legal it would be in absolutely necessary cases only. The pro life crowd would like you to believe that abortion would be as easy to book as a restaurant table.

I point you to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

There are always exceptions and it's never black or white and this may be one of them along with some of the circumstances that it's legal at the minute to get an abortion. Threat to mothers life and no chance of survival, up to a certain stage of pregnancy etc.

Sorry a bit confused about what you mean by legal, as far as I am aware and I could be wrong but the only form of termination in relation to no chance of survival is actually once the unborn baby has died and they are then allowed to perform a D&C.

Well, what if the woman 'chose' to commit sucicide? Do you think this would be a better result than having the option of abortion available?
    Its never going to be a clear cut case of abortion or suicide because there are so many other variables missing from the little hypothetical example you've just made up there. In the event there is a legitimate threat to the mothers life certain options for abortions should become available, but it should be a last resort and reviewed on a case by case basis by some who's responsible for defending the baby's rights (judge or a doctor perhaps) as well as the mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The option should be available, regardless of moral objections. For instance, it's still illegal to terminate non-viable pregnancies (i.e, a foetus with a terminal abnormality) in Ireland. That's barbaric.

Sorry a bit confused about what you mean by legal, as far as I am aware and I could be wrong but the only form of termination in relation to no chance of survival is actually once the unborn baby has died and they are then allowed to perform a D&C.
    Again, no two cases are the same. My point is that yes you are right I'm sure there are circumstances where abortion should be an option available to a mother where it is currently not, however I don't believe this decision should be left to the mother alone and my original point was that I'm more against the idea of "pro choice" than I am "pro life" or what ever the other side is labeled these days.

Its never going to be a clear cut case of abortion or suicide because there are so many other variables missing from the little hypothetical example you've just made up there. In the event there is a legitimate threat to the mothers life certain options for abortions should become available, but it should be a last resort and reviewed on a case by case basis by some who's responsible for defending the baby's rights (judge or a doctor perhaps) as well as the mother.

Yeah, we could hook them up to lie detectors I guess :rolleyes:

Thats not an argument to my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I went through all this last time round in the '80, if the lunatic fringe are out of the traps again I'm going to have to emigrate.
    Nothing changes ... we're just a nation of hypocrites :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement