Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

bhhLK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Just got sniped on 3 2 auctions for Saturn games. May well be 3...

Same guy each time. Nothing rare or uncommon, but the combined packaging rate was £1 extra per item.

Its high time I started buying NTSC anyway. Thanks auction sniper guy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Zak and Wiki is a joy, confined to bargain bins for years. Don't let the cutesy visuals turn you off a very clever puzzler.

Also: Sin & Punishment 2, No More Heroes... Also all those Nintendo ones.

Rememer that bried period in 2009 where Zak and Wiki was coming to the end of its first print run, so game stores were offering quite a bit for it in trade, on the assumption it was going to be rare?

Yeah, not so much.

In regards to Wii titles worth your time:

Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Awesome tag-fighter, bit of a throwback . You can pick up a stick for it quite cheaply too.

All of the Sega lightgun offerings go ways to justifying the Wiimote's existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Rememer that bried period in 2009 where Zak and Wiki was coming to the end of its first print run, so game stores were offering quite a bit for it in trade, on the assumption it was going to be rare?

Yeah, not so much.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Awesome tag-fighter, bit of a throwback . You can pick up a stick for it quite cheaply too.

All of the Sega lightgun offerings go ways to justifying the Wiimote's existence.

I've been looking for TvC yesterday as I seen the stick and game about a month ago for €35 in HMV alas it's gone now:(

When I last had a Wii I had a Sega light gun game it was reasonable and cheap enough so I'll be on the look out for any of them.

Was gonna pick up Links Crossbow Training aswell, is it any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Interesting little feature here on the Best and Worst voice samples used in old video games:

Brought to you by a rather young sounding presenter called Rinry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

This feature on Video Game Box Art is pretty good too, probably worth subscribing and watching the other videos:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

pdbhp wrote: »

Yeah, not so much.

I've been looking for TvC yesterday as I seen the stick and game about a month ago for €35 in HMV alas it's gone now:(

When I last had a Wii I had a Sega light gun game it was reasonable and cheap enough so I'll be on the look out for any of them.

Was gonna pick up Links Crossbow Training aswell, is it any use?

It's pretty much a tech/hardware demo for the Wii/Zapper. It's a fun lightgun/mini-game thing, but best picked up on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

waveform wrote: »
    Interesting little feature here on the Best and Worst voice samples used in old video games:

Brought to you by a rather young sounding presenter called Rinry.

I love Rinry!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A little something for the hipsters, you know who you are ;)

28484026161978718534317.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

It's pretty much a tech/hardware demo for the Wii/Zapper. It's a fun lightgun/mini-game thing, but best picked up on the cheap.

Watched it on youtube earlier, looks crap gonna give it a miss.

Gonna get Batman the Brave & the Bold, Sin & Punishment when I get some dollars next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I picked up a good few NTSC snes carts for a modded snes I'm due to receive next week. Do you think the best option is to cut up the snes and be done with it? Or buy an adapter, or just use the pcb's and leave them in their cases when not being used? I'd say the NTSC carts make up like 2% of my collection and I'd rather not hack the hell of the cartridge slot...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Looks good, never heard of it though. Is it available in PAL...
    ask Retr0 v he mentioned it too (and actually played it) *doesn't have a Wii >:*
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd recommend Fragile Dreams, one of the most emotionally involving games this generation and criminally ignored. The combat is crap but narratively it makes up for it amazingly as well as the visuals. Ico-esque:

Steve SI wrote: »
    A little something for[IMG][/IMG] the hipsters, you know who you are ;)

28484026161978718534317.jpg

02_juice.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You've got to love Legend of Dragoons fanbase. One of them just commented on a review I did on my blog ages ago:

'fag :) LOD is the best rpg of its time, maybe second to FFVII'

I should thank him for backing up everything I said about the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks good, never heard of it though. Is it available in PAL...

It did get a PAL release, never seen it in the shops but it should be cheap on amazon, I got it there.

Really loving Legend of Grimrock. On the 4th level now.

Also... f*ck these spiders!

pEcGE.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Weekend in the retro forum

tvoff.jpg

All too busy to post.

Monday morning back to work

homer-work-frome-home.jpg

Time to go on boards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »
    Really loving Legend of Grimrock. On the 4th level now.

Also... f*ck these spiders!

pEcGE.gif

Still on lvl 2 as I haven't got back to it yet. Do you have a Mage in your group? Are they useful as they skill up? Mine only have Fire spell atm.

• Advertisement

Well that fire spell is pretty damn useful when going up against a group of enemies as it will hit all four at the same time while your warriors can only hit one at a time.

Those giant spiders are buggers for poisoning you so have a poison shield spell is very handy.

The puzzles get really tricky too... stuck on level 5 arsing around with a teleporter and haven't a clue what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This game is great! Just started it an hour ago. Down to level 2. Walked into a room and got mangled by three guys with spears.

A mage seems like a must this early on. That fire spell is a godsend.

My minotaur is seriously tough now. Many a time he's left fighting on his own with all the other guys dead and still manages to pull through.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is there a way of bringing people back to life? For some reason I was thinking it was one of those 'when they're dead, they're dead' cases and reloaded an earlier save.

If you get to a crystal.

Sometimes this involves a lot of back tracking, even to a previous floor too. But in general once monsters are dead they stay dead. I've only encountered respawning once and that was because you needed the monsters to solve a puzzle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you get to a crystal.

Sometimes this involves a lot of back tracking, even to a previous floor too. But in general once monsters are dead they stay dead. I've only encountered respawning once and that was because you needed the monsters to solve a puzzle.

What a bunch of nerds!

Next you'll be sharing Risk stories! "And then I threw a six!"

I bought my first D20 on the weekend. There's no going back for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Name Change Request:

Arcade & Retro & Magic The Gathering Forum

Also a "Nerd or GTFO" warning should be added to the charter, and user access should be determined by die rolls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If you get to a crystal.

Apparently getting a Crystal will also regen all party health? Haven't tested it out yet.

• Advertisement

Yep. You can use them multiple times too. Reading reviews it seems a lot of people seemed to have missed the point of the crystals.

I'm pretty sure I found a note by the first one that explained them.

I don't think they help with hunger though, which I get a feeling is going be a much bigger issue as you get further into the dungeon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement