Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    its just not fair on The RAGE as they're not knowledgeable on the whole retro game thing as it's just a small part of their business.

Are they really that unknowledgeable in there? I've never been to the store but didn't expect this to be the case.

Usually when someone runs a business for a niche market, they're pretty knowledgeable or at least in my experience anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

waveform wrote: »
    Are they really that unknowledgeable in there? I've never been to the store but didn't expect this to be the case.

Usually when someone runs a business for a niche market, they're pretty knowledgeable or at least in my experience anyways.

I'd say they know their stuff about the music/record side of the business really well. The whole retro game side is relatively new and a small part of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I'd say they know their stuff about the music/record side of the business really well. The whole retro game side is relatively new and a small part of the business.

Ah okay! Didn't realize it was a music store originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Sera wrote: »
    just saw on FB, that RE6 premium ed is $1200 and comes with Leon's Jacket >link<

I couldn't buy that, even if I was a big RE fan. It'd kill me if I turned up at a convention and some cosplayer had made themselves a better one from scratch.

But if they included one of those injector pistols from the first Resident Evil film built to a "hero" prop standard it'd be a different matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thats where they are making a mistake though, I think that the guys in charge there should be asking people who know the retro game scene ( i.e good few of the chaps and chapettes here ) for whatever info they need and really play into the game scenes and do on-line orders, host a few tournaments, get some proper T shirts etc to sell and stuff like that. Even maybe source some cabs for people willing to buy

But that being said they are surviving in a time when most businesses are closing down so if they can find people to pay some fairly high prices (€25 for a mega man 2 cart, compared to my €15 boxed with manual copy for example ) well done to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

waveform wrote: »

Me: Hi, umm, do you sell VMUs? You know, for the Dreamcast?

Friendly Guy behind Counter: Sure.

FGbC produces an unboxed VMU in nice enough, (though the lid is vanished to the realm of odd socks).

Me: Oh, cool. So, how much are they?

FGbC: €10

Me: "...Oooh. Ummm. I'll think about it, thanks."

!?!:confused:?!

They've nice staff there, genuinely likeable. But sometimes the pricing makes me wonder if I just walking in on a Monty Python sketch. Considering boxed, near-mint VMUs, with new batteries start from £0.99 / €1.21 on Amazon.co.uk I think that price was, ahem, on the steep side, even if delivery is a few euro extra.

I don't know if it was that they weren't knowledgeable on the going rate of one common Dreamcast peripheral or whether people really will pay that much rather than wait a few days for delivery from an online store. I know they've higher overheads, but... wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Thats where they are making a mistake though, I think that the guys in charge there should be asking people who know the retro game scene ( i.e good few of the chaps and chapettes here ) for whatever info they need and really play into the game scenes and do on-line orders, host a few tournaments, get some proper T shirts etc to sell and stuff like that. Even maybe source some cabs for people willing to buy

But that being said they are surviving in a time when most businesses are closing down so if they can find people to pay some fairly high prices (€25 for a mega man 2 cart, compared to my €15 boxed with manual copy for example ) well done to them.

They'd much rather ban a boards.ie games mod from their facebook page for not liking a game they're selling instead.

DinoRex wrote: »
    They'd much rather ban a boards.ie games mod from their facebook page for not liking a game they're selling instead.

Exactamundo!

Where as if it was me I'd bring retro into the shop and have him explain why its ****.....and it is btw....record it and put it up on the facebook page. And it doesnt matter if its good or not..correct me if im wrong but its a fairly sought after game for collectors sake isnt it?

Yep. I'd watch Retr0 give a powerpoint presentation on why Legend of Dragoon sucks. Who wouldn't?

I'm actually pissing myself at the thought of that...a packed lecture hall and a man at the front of the room with a laser pointer and a screenshot of LOD on the screen with the typical Irish giving out terms "its a load of ****e......its bollox.....**** sake..and etc"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Then watch blood come out his ears as a crowd member burns a copy of gunstar heroes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, I wouldn't burn it, just make him watch as others play it and mock it, all whilst conducting a reading, with a Powerpoint visual aid, of the Edge 6/10 review.. ;)
    Not only would there be blood seeping from his ears but something browner seeping in the pants dept.

Oh Retr0, what would we do without you to abuse, there really aren't enough pantry owning types here to take up the "most slagged" mantle, nor are there enough hipsters, although I think Dino is sailing quite close to this one, or so my spys tell me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, I wouldn't burn it, just make him watch as others play it and mock it, all whilst conducting a reading, with a Powerpoint visual aid, of the Edge 6/10 review.. ;)
    Not only would there be blood seeping from his ears but something browner seeping in the pants dept.

Oh Retr0, what would we do without you to abuse, there really aren't enough pantry owning types here to take up the "most slagged" mantle, nor are there enough hipsters, although I think Dino is sailing quite close to this one, or so my spys tell me!

I'm not hip, I'm just horribly old fashioned. There's a subtle difference.

Well I predict that the last of the hipsters will die out in about 2014, so we'll see whos what then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep. I'd watch Retr0 give a powerpoint presentation on why Legend of Dragoon sucks. Who wouldn't?

I only need one slide:

200227.jpg
    Amusingly the crappy facebook app my iPhone keeps assigning your face to their updates. It's disconcerting.

Well I said LoD was a terrible game but I also said it was one that people are willing to pay a lot of money for. I think it was more when some commented on how their games looked crap on an LCD screen when they were trying to sell composite cables and I left a comment talking about the virtues of RGB scart over stinking composite was the straw that broke the camels back :)

A guy the other day posted this up on reddit:

'My Retro gaming mansion - this is how I live"
    http://imgur.com/a/5Qpmo#0

I got downvoted for suggesting that might not be the best telly for the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of reminds me of an episode of Cribs when some nobody rapper was showing MTV around and he was showing off his arcade cabinet. He said it had every arcade game ever made built into it and he paid $60,000 for it.... for a mame cab.

Just got Legend of Grimrock... it looks and plays great... but I have no idea how I'm supposed to attack in it... the manual and tutorial don't seem to mention that...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's because it's an avant garde dungeon crawler where you're constantly reminded that the pacifist approach to life is more rewarding, and as long as you learn that the giant spiders are just trying to survive too, you will die in a cocoon of enlightenment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just got Legend of Grimrock... it looks and plays great... but I have no idea how I'm supposed to attack in it... the manual and tutorial don't seem to mention that...

Right click on either "hand" section for each character to attack with that item. Magic is different, right click then select a spell and click the blue image to the right of them.

Lol I take it you ignored the Tutorial message at the very start then. :P

Ha.. Just figured it out after spending ages luring snails into traps.

The tutorial I looked at doesn't seem to mention attacking at all except for the fact that the guys in the back can only do ranged attacks.

Ha.. Just figured it out after spending ages luring snails into traps.

The tutorial I looked at doesn't seem to mention attacking at all except for the fact that the guys in the back can only do ranged attacks.

Says it on the second page of the tutorial but easily missed I guess. Have only just got to the second level but liking it a lot so far. Found the control scheme took a little while to get used to. Nice and atmospheric too.

A guy the other day posted this up on reddit:

'My Retro gaming mansion - this is how I live"
    http://imgur.com/a/5Qpmo#0

I got downvoted for suggesting that might not be the best telly for the job.

Pfff what a n00b, doesnt even have a 3DO, and I bet those are all composite cables

Puzzle Bobble 4 (JAMMA pcb version), any good??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Pfff what a n00b, doesnt even have a 3DO, and I bet those are all composite cables

I'd say Dale Parish started foaming at the mouth and soiling his undertrousers at some of the later images in that guys collection.

Shame he doesn't have an X68000 or FM Towns II either though. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Says it on the second page of the tutorial but easily missed I guess. Have only just got to the second level but liking it a lot so far. Found the control scheme took a little while to get used to. Nice and atmospheric too.

I like how the plot has them all chained together to explain the fact that they are standing in a tight 2x2 grid formation.

Puzzle Bobble 4 (JAMMA pcb version), any good??

To be honest, Puzzle Bobble 2 is where it's at.
    After that they started adding bells and whistles, weighted platforms, special bubbles with various new powers, just kinda diluted the mix.
    The first one is superb, but the second on decanted the best and added just enough, later iterations just over egged it, in my opinion.

That said Taito is Taito and, if it's reasonable, any silicon with it's logo is probably worth owning.

I like how the plot has them all chained together to explain the fact that they are standing in a tight 2x2 grid formation.

Aye! Got my ass handed to me by some little green fecker spitting poisonous gas at me, need to figure how to kill him. :(

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    To be honest, Puzzle Bobble 2 is where it's at.
    After that they started adding bells and whistles, weighted platforms, special bubbles with various new powers, just kinda diluted the mix.
    The first one is superb, but the second on decanted the best and added just enough, later iterations just over egged it, in my opinion.

That said Taito is Taito and, if it's reasonable, any silicon with it's logo is probably worth owning.

Yeah, It was 60 euro including the Taito F3 system so I just went for it.
    Irish based as well so postage is pretty cheap, even though its sent via courier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement