Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

hi5 wrote: »
    It looks like theres a problem with the surface just south of Paulstown.
    a dip has formed at one of the underpasses.
    I noticed this about a week ago myself but it seems to have got progressively
    worse since.
    Warning signs are now up.
    Will it mean closing the road?

Probably for a few days. This also happened to the M8 Cashel to Mitchelstown scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

hi5 wrote: »
    It looks like theres a problem with the surface just south of Paulstown.
    a dip has formed at one of the underpasses.
    I noticed this about a week ago myself but it seems to have got progressively
    worse since.
    Warning signs are now up.
    Will it mean closing the road?

I think it depends on exactly where the defect is. If it's behind one of the bridge (underpass) abutments, then it's likely to be the embankment structure which should be solved very quickly - for example, there was a very serious dip on the Northbound M1 at the River Nanny Bridge (just beyond the toll) and was unattended for a while, but when they got around to it, it seemed to be fixed very quickly. There were also dips on the M50 Southern Cross Southbound (before the upgrade) and recently on the new M1 South to M50 South connector - both were seemingly fixed in very quick time - again when they got around to it. On the other hand, if the defect is in the bridge itself, then that's obviously a much more serious matter - however, if that was the case, I'd imagine they'd close the road on the grounds of health and safety.

As Tremelo said, the road might have to close for a few days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There are a few dips on the M9 that have been there sometime. Include one close to Athy/Kildare.

There is a similar dip on another road built around the same time to do the N25 Bypass which was repaired before but is poor again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There are signs up in Kilkenny city and Danesfort to the effect that the on-ramp southbound at J9 Danesfort is closed today (30 Nov 2011).

The diversion route from Kilkenny city for southbound traffic is via the Hebron Road, N10 and J8 southbound.

Funny though, can't find anything on AA Roadwatch or the KK County Council website. Anyone got a link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

What a difference a year makes.
    Memories of the wandering 2 black lines will live long.

hmu0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

And they still havn't replaced the missing cats eyes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just to update the thread.

On Monday night, one of the Carlow exits (cant recall which) was closed as a large crew worked on a section of the road.

Those digital signs are not fast enough though, IMO, for motorways. You don't get to read it fully unless you slow down. Plus, for the past few while its been saying that one of the Junctions is Closed while its been open. Lot of new bumps appearing from beyond Kilkenny alright but they have started to warn people (even though they are there a good while without warning).

Noticed this evening that parts of the M9 have the hard shoulder closed, around Mullinavat (both sides). No idea why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sully wrote: »

Those digital signs are not fast enough though, IMO, for motorways.

The roadside mobile digital signs are very poorly done; three part messages are daft:

Advance warning
    (5 seconds)

Inside lane closed (5 seconds)

Mon 2pm to Tue 7am (5 seconds)

At 120kph you will cover 500m in 15 seconds and the signs are readable, or have line of sight, for maybe 250m.

Much better would be

Advance warning (flash -one second)

Lane closed Mon 2pm (5 seconds)

Surely even an engineer can do the maths? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The roadside mobile digital signs are very poorly done; three part messages are daft:

Advance warning
    (5 seconds)

Inside lane closed (5 seconds)

Mon 2pm to Tue 7am (5 seconds)

At 120kph you will cover 500m in 15 seconds and the signs are readable, or have line of sight, for maybe 250m.

Much better would be

Advance warning (flash -one second)

Lane closed Mon 2pm (5 seconds)

Surely even an engineer can do the maths? :D

Or perhaps surely even a driver can slow down from his/her 120kph to take notice of what the message might be telling them. After all it has been put their to advise them of something that they may need to know.
    That being said I have no problem with the idea of flashing the "Advance Warning" section of the message quicker so as to get to the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Nice to see the recent repair to the northbound carriageway just north of J5 at the bridge over the river to repair the massive jolt that had formed.

Still in the habit of sitting forward every time i come to it still though! :)

• Advertisement

Jayuu wrote: »
    Or perhaps surely even a driver can slow down from his/her 120kph to take notice of what the message might be telling them.

Are you mad? Out of the question! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Or perhaps surely even a driver can slow down from his/her 120kph to take notice of what the message might be telling them. After all it has been put their to advise them of something that they may need to know.
    Are you actually for real? Drivers on a motorway shouldn't have to slow down to read badly designed signage. Making them do so is bloody dangerous.

Every part of a motorway, including and especially the signs, should comply with the motorway's design speed. Otherwise what's the point of building a high-speed, high-capacity road?

Sometimes posters here have such a sense that the general public is comprised solely of idiots that they come out with misguided self-righteousness like the above. Did you even give it any thought? Maybe they should slow down indeed... What unbelieveable nonsense.

etchyed wrote: »
    Are you actually for real? Drivers on a motorway shouldn't have to slow down to read badly designed signage. Making them do so is bloody dangerous.

Every part of a motorway, including and especially the signs, should comply with the motorway's design speed. Otherwise what's the point of building a high-speed, high-capacity road?

Sometimes posters here have such a sense that the general public is comprised solely of idiots that they come out with misguided self-righteousness like the above. Did you even give it any thought? Maybe they should slow down indeed... What unbelieveable nonsense.

Yes this "self-righteous" person did think about it. And less of the personal insults in future if you don't mind.

And while I agree that message should me more succint if possible the simple fact is that an advisory/warning sign is there to indicate a problem or issue ahead and its perfectly acceptable to think the people might slow their speed slightly to ensure that they take on board the details contained on them.

Stop being such an extremist. Its not like I suggested you slam on the brakes, stop, get out of your car and read the message twice before you start up again.

Amazing how some posters lose every bit of common sense when it's suggested to them that driving on the speed limit for every second their journey is not absolutely necessary.

Could you imagine if all those travelling at high speed suddenly slammed on their breaks on seeing the digital sign flashing away at them, because it wasn't designed to give the message in a timely fashion that we can read it at? Even if only a couple of cars did so, to read this very important notice, it could cause a major accident.

I was thinking more of just having a few of those digital signs spread out in advance of the problem so you go past one for the first part of message, send for the second part, etc. rather than hoping that the full message will be read by the time you drive past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Amazing how some posters lose every bit of common sense when it's suggested to them that driving on the speed limit for every second their journey is not absolutely necessary.
    I was willing to concede that my post was a bit OTT until I read this last line of yours, which demonstrates that you're still completely missing the point.

All signage on a motorway should be legible at the design speed of that motorway. I really can't see how that's up for debate.
    And less of the personal insults in future if you don't mind.
    Stop being such an extremist.
    Hmmm.
    Its not like I suggested you slam on the brakes, stop, get out of your car and read the message twice before you start up again.
    Of course you didn't, but then nor did I. That's just twisting the argument. Slowing down at all on a motorway can be dangerous. That's why they're designed for people to drive at steady speeds. That's why they have long slip roads for acceleration and deceleration. An illegible sign completely undermines these things.
    ...an advisory/warning sign is there to indicate a problem or issue ahead and its perfectly acceptable to think the people might slow their speed slightly to ensure that they take on board the details contained on them.
    It isn't acceptable at all. If there is a problem or issue ahead then it's even more important that the sign be legible to those travelling at speed, thus warning them that they need to gradually and safely slow down.
    Drivers who regard the speed limit as a target are completely irrelevant to this. Drivers lacking what you perceive as "common sense" are also completely irrelevant. In general I would probably agree with what I think is your sentiment, that drivers need to take more responsibility for the safety of their driving.

However in this context it's a bit of a red herring, and does nothing to alter the point of principle that every part of a motorway, including the signs, should be up to the design speed of that motorway. If you disagree with this most basic of points then I don't think we have anything more to say to each other.

I'll admit my response was OTT as well but it was probably a reaction to yours!

I still disagree with you with regard to the idea that motorways become dangerous if people vary their speeds. Cars slow down and speed up on motorways all the time as traffic joins, leaves or overtakes. There is no consistent speed on a motorway as everybody knows from driving on them.

I've also admitted that I think the signs could be better designed to get the information across quicker but they have to balance the length of time it takes for somebody to read the information on a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

And while I agree that message should me more succint if possible the simple fact is that an advisory/warning sign is there to indicate a problem or issue ahead...

Not necessarily... I could swear that a big shopping centre in Dublin used signs like that on the approach roads to indicate its opening hours, but I can't be 100% sure.

Also I believe a Wexford TD thanked constituents for their votes using these signs. Kilkenny County Council also wish people season's greetings via the same medium. They're abused all the time - disgraceful IMO.

fricatus wrote: »
    Not necessarily... I could swear that a big shopping centre in Dublin used signs like that on the approach roads to indicate its opening hours, but I can't be 100% sure.

Also I believe a Wexford TD thanked constituents for their votes using these signs. Kilkenny County Council also wish people season's greetings via the same medium. They're abused all the time - disgraceful IMO.

I was going to say that I also think these signs should only be used for warning/advisory purposes as well so that people get used to the concept. There should be no private usage of signs like this allowed on the motorways. That is completely irresponsible and it should be stopped.

I know when IKEA first opened in Dublin it was signposted on signs like this for a short while. However I think that's just about acceptable as there was a large increase in the volume of traffic in the area and the signs were there for a justifiable safety reason.

I don't think it's the poster who supported me who has lost "every bit of common sense"

The key points are:

- The signs are unprofessional, incompetent
    - they are dangerous if people slow down to read them while others don't

Your post about "slowing down" was a complete non sequitur in the context of the issue raised.

Kilkenny have generally used the signs for non-urgent issues. We have one at either end of the Waterford Bypass informing people to go straight ahead if they wish to use the toll bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Does anyone have an update on the roadworks near junction 7 Paulstown?

Only travelled on that section northbound a few days ago, narrowed to one lane with traffic cones but no sign of much doing there.

The bump is still there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Brabus wrote: »

Only travelled on that section northbound a few days ago, narrowed to one lane with traffic cones but no sign of much doing there.

Yea I was wondering the same. Why cone it down to one lane if you don't plan on doing any work? Another example of county council incompetence.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Yea I was wondering the same. Why cone it down to one lane if you don't plan on doing any work? Another example of county council incompetence.

Good example of this incompetence where the M11 joins the M50.

The M50 is managed by a private company; they put cones down when and where they are working and remove them the instant the work is finished (grass cutting in this case).

On the M11 (LA managed) the cones are put down and simply left there for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Brabus wrote: »

mfitzy wrote: »

I'd be more worried about the incompetence of the main contractor - how many times has this stretch of road had to be closed (partially or completely) for repairs? There was one ramp at the bridge over the river on the castledermot side of the rathcrogue junction (4 i think) that was ridiculously bad - took bloody ages for it to be repaired properly too!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Those cones have been there for about a month now, not a touch of work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 daisylady

Sorry for hijacking, just wondering was anyone travelling on the m9 today Tuesday around 6pm? Between kilcullen and Baltinglass exits, pretty much every car lost control on a certain patch during a bad hail shower, ended up on the verge twice, it was very bizarre I travel this road a lot. Cars were all over the road, felt like we were driving on marbles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

daisylady wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking, just wondering was anyone travelling on the m9 today Tuesday around 6pm? Between kilcullen and Baltinglass exits, pretty much every car lost control on a certain patch during a bad hail shower, ended up on the verge twice, it was very bizarre I travel this road a lot. Cars were all over the road, felt like we were driving on marbles!

you might want to post it up under a new thread to get a few replies. This thread is fairly quite now that the road is open.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

daisylady wrote: »

I was driving on the M9 northbound yesterday evening after getting on the motorway at the Athy junction and driving conditions seemed fine. But it must have been after the hailstones, around 7pm ish.

I asked the RSA about this and the response I quote was;
    In relation to the M9 Motorway, I understand that the contractor has been involved in extensive testing to establish the cause of the settlement adjacent to the river overbridge. The traffic management is in place to keep traffic off the worst affected sections. Work has commenced on rectifying some damage to the drainage pipes which caused ingress of water in the earthworks layers. This work would have been unseen by the passing traffic as it took place at the toe of the embankment on either side of the motorway. Once the drainage problems have been resolved, the contractor will commence repair of the road surface. This will entail a brief period when this section of motorway will be closed to traffic. Appropriate notice and advance warning will be made prior to this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Seriously bugging me now that closed off lane at Paulstown. It's been like this for what, 6 months now? Simply not acceptable. It's slowing up the flow of traffic, especially when you are stuck behind a HGV. Think it's an accident waiting to happen.
    Would this happen on the continent? Doubt it somehow. Wish our county councils had nothing to do with motorway network maintenance.

Advertisement