Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Our parish priest was FR. TONY WALSH!!

Ye were lucky, he sounds like a cool guy :cool:
    In the late 1970s Father Walsh became part of Father Michael Cleary's All Priests Show as an Elvis impersonator.[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cleary_(priest)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Had a history teacher who insisted Ireland was part of the commonwealth,yes she was a Rangers fan.

Really? I'm a bit skeptical about that...

Was this is the republic or NI?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Last year I had a subsitute geography teacher try to tell me that Brazil is a colony of the USA :confused: dafuq??

I wonder if its the same one I had, who insisted that Bonn Was the capital of germany.

(i showed that bitch a capital.... Bitches Love capitals....)
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the Bohr or Sommerfeld models of atomic therory

why oh why teach us this only to tell us it was untrue

Actually one of the only memories of being young are of being told something stupid by a teacher.

One time in Junior or Senior infants we were broken up into groups and had to do collages. My group of about 6 were doing a typical kids pic - grass, sky, sun, house, you know the type.
    Anyway I was doing a little corner of sky, bringing it down to meet the grass - when one of the other kids flipped at me. Asking why I wasn't stopping doing the sky. I said the sky has to touch the grass. All the other kids in the group were then like "huh? The sky doesn't touch the grass" and to make fun of me they called the teacher over to say "Doesn't the grass stay at the bottom and the sky is up at the top?". She said yes, of course. I said, no, even though the sky is up and grass is down, when you look out at the sea, the sea and the sky touch, and it's called a horizon.

The teacher laughed and claimed that it was silly to think that the sky touches the horizon. To this day I'm angry at the woman. I think it's a pretty impressive grudge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1. Place de la Concorde is not a place in Paris, but an aircraft.

2. The street I lived on had a cul de sac off it, which it doesn't.

3. When I was 6, the teacher believed the teenager who claimed to be my sister was my sister and that I should go home with her. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I wonder if its the same one I had, who insisted that Bonn Was the capital of germany.

It was capital of Germany (not just West Germany). It was only some time after unification that Berlin once again became the capital.

Or maybe not, after reading Wikipedia. It's not that clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

A lot of 1 - 3rd year history is absolute bullshít! Who discovered the world was actually round, who sailed around the earth first, who discovered america etc. There are so many of them I cant even remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Im having a hard enough time remembering the correct things i was taught, never mind all the lies, but i know there was a few, pretty big ones aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

My teacher who told us the chernobyl disaster was caused by a major explosion in Sellafield which entered the waters around britain and we were only very fortunate that the current in the irish sea took it away from us towards chernobyl.
    I objected, and we traded non researched 'information' before the class for a few minutes before agreeing to disagree. He was actually a great teacher and in fairness to the guy it wasn't on the syllabus and he came into class the next day and without needing to bring it up again he owned up he had things tits up about that disaster. I guess someone had winded him up in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    My teacher gave a classmate an absolute bo11ocking for writing "Xmas", claiming that it was "taking the Christ out of Christmas". Ignorant bitch...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

That is actually interesting from now on it will be happy ymas from me.

Our headmaster was standing in for our teacher one day and told us that the Irish language was forever being changed to be more Anglicised, I can't recall any of the examples he showed us off hand; then he gave us an Irish spelling test. We just assumed he wanted us to use these new spellings he'd just demonstrated for us, but he marked them all wrong and made us write them out over and over. That was around 1988 in primary, I left secondary in 2000 and not once did I ever encounter any of his "new spellings".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

the "potato famine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

A lot of school Irish history was clearly written by dev, the wolfe tones and the IRA, it took a while of self study and interest to right all that propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Our headmaster was standing in for our teacher one day and told us that the Irish language was forever being changed to be more Anglicised

He was correct

Gluastain became carr ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

All the God stuff. Moses, the cross, priests being relevant etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

stop wrote: »
    County Derry - no such thing.

That's only a wee matter of opinion.

That cocaine came from the same plant as the cocoa bean, and this was a secondary school science teacher

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He was correct

Gluastain became carr ;)

"Carr" is actually a much older word.

Not sure if you already know that or not. -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

The teacher laughed and claimed that it was silly to think that the sky touches the horizon. To this day I'm angry at the woman. I think it's a pretty impressive grudge.

The sky doesn't touch the horizon. Otherwise, if I keep walking I'd meet the sky. I've never bumped into the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

The tongue map, that sh*t doesn't even make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

A substitute teacher was trying to teach my biology class about food chains in fifth year, she was telling us that in general animals increase in size along the food chain, fair enough, she was doing well.
    She then attempted to illustrate this with an example: "so, a fox would eat a rabbit, and something bigger would eat a fox, like a cow".
    Cows eat foxes?? She genuinely wasn't even joking. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

That during a seven year time-span, all cells of the human body will have been 100% regenerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Actually one of the only memories of being young are of being told something stupid by a teacher.

One time in Junior or Senior infants we were broken up into groups and had to do collages. My group of about 6 were doing a typical kids pic - grass, sky, sun, house, you know the type.
    Anyway I was doing a little corner of sky, bringing it down to meet the grass - when one of the other kids flipped at me. Asking why I wasn't stopping doing the sky. I said the sky has to touch the grass. All the other kids in the group were then like "huh? The sky doesn't touch the grass" and to make fun of me they called the teacher over to say "Doesn't the grass stay at the bottom and the sky is up at the top?". She said yes, of course. I said, no, even though the sky is up and grass is down, when you look out at the sea, the sea and the sky touch, and it's called a horizon.

The sky doesn't touch the horizon. Otherwise, if I keep walking I'd meet the sky. I've never bumped into the sky.

Right, do you know what "horizon" means?
    horizon /həˈrʌɪz(ə)n/

noun
    • The line at which the earth's surface and the sky appear to meet:
    "Appear to meet", yea?

Well done, you've been outsmarted by a junior infant. Oh dear... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Right, do you know what "horizon" means?

"Appear to meet", yea?

Well done, you've been outsmarted by a junior infant. Oh dear... :o

Lol! - you've even looked up the definition of 'Horizon' for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingofthenerds

i was thought that going to university was economically sound advice. such a crock of sh1t

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I had an absolute idiot for JC English and it was her bad teaching that saved me from her 5th year class, ironically :rolleyes:

To this day (literally - I was saying it wrong yesterday because its so ingrained at this point) I still read halcyon as "hallikin". That is how she taught us the word. Hallikin. On our 2nd year summer test she didn't even spell it properly - halycyon. And let me just point out that was a second year summer test, with putting words into sentences.

God I hate her. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I had an absolute idiot for JC English and it was her bad teaching that saved me from her 5th year class, ironically :rolleyes:

To this day (literally - I was saying it wrong yesterday because its so ingrained at this point) I still read halcyon as "hallikin". That is how she taught us the word. Hallikin. On our 2nd year summer test she didn't even spell it properly - halycyon. And let me just point out that was a second year summer test, with putting words into sentences.

God I hate her. :pac:

That reminds me of my English teacher, she pronounces hyperbole as "hyper bowl". Luckily American Dad taught me the correct pronunciation, but I don't have the heart to say it to her. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Cumann na nGaedheal.

History teacher pronounced it as Cyoomawn nah Gwailhead. No lie.

Advertisement