Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

getting on the road at 17 problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

BX 19 wrote: »
    When I was your age, not one insurance company would insure me commercially on a jeep. They all wanted a full b licence at the minimum not a provisional as I had at the time. This was either as a named driver or the sole policy holder. That was near 4 years ago, so I'm not sure if its the same.

When I was at his age, I could easily insure my car using my father's 60% NCB. Annual policy was actually negligible cost, as it was not more than you would spend for weekly food shoping, or weekend out.
    It's a pity that young lads in Ireland don't have possibility to get into the road easily at young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CiniO wrote: »
    When I was at his age, I could easily insure my car using my father's 60% NCB. Annual policy was actually negligible cost, as it was not more than you would spend for weekly food shoping, or weekend out.
    It's a pity that young lads in Ireland don't have possibility to get into the road easily at young age.

Its a real pain to be honest. However, I'm only paying 540 a year now, so its not exactly as bad as it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 wedge911

yeah ive got quotes over the 8 grand mark for a 1 liter corsa but was wondoring of any insurance companies in ireland that specially deal with it ...or if it would affect my mums insurance alot as she only uses her car on the weekend and i only really need to get to and from work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Quite a few people I knew totalled their cars at 17-20 years old. Its not particularly surprising to me that young males get charged huge rates. But I'm really surprised we don't have any advanced/defensive driving certs available to drive down costs.

You have drivers with 6 months to wait, makes them do a introductory two months of assessment at a fixed cost, then a further four months training with a huge reduction on insurance cost. Yearly assessments for the next two years. With quotes of 4k plus, I'd assume most young drivers would jump on it. As most of the really bad boy racers would fail within the first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

Have you booked your test yet??

The day I got my provisional I booked my test due to the waiting list, when i got the date for my test 5-6 months later i did a few lessons and then the test and passed first time, when i passed i then got insured on our commercial jeep (3.2L) Before i passed my test they wouldn't consider me but once I passed I was added on for no extra charge and i was still 17 (we said we can take our business else where if you can't help so they were kind enough add me for free).

So first if you really want to be insured on the van you will have to wait until you get your test and pass. But then once you pass your commercial insurance will be cheaper. You should be able to get commercial easy enough,

And you don't have to own your own car to get your full licence, you can do lessons and then rent your instructors car for the day of the test.

So when you do pass your test, go and find a good broker.

• Advertisement

Its a real pain to be honest. However, I'm only paying 540 a year now, so its not exactly as bad as it was

I'm paying even less than 500 now. I never paid much, but I only moved to Ireland when I already had 5 years NCB. If I wanted to start my driving career in this country, that would ruin me financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paddylad100

You wanted your own policy right? I tried Aviva.ie there and put in 17 years old 1.3 Opel from 2005.

Fully comp=€6600
    Third Party=€6200

:eek:

I'm sure most companies will take you on but you'll pay the price for that privilege.
    never mind the online quotes when you go to pay for the insurance they wont take you on

wedge911 wrote: »
    yeah ive got quotes over the 8 grand mark for a 1 liter corsa but was wondoring of any insurance companies in ireland that specially deal with it ...or if it would affect my mums insurance alot as she only uses her car on the weekend and i only really need to get to and from work
    cheapest i got for a car is quote devil or britton 2500

db330 wrote: »
    Have you booked your test yet??

The day I got my provisional I booked my test due to the waiting list, when i got the date for my test 5-6 months later i did a few lessons and then the test and passed first time, when i passed i then got insured on our commercial jeep (3.2L) Before i passed my test they wouldn't consider me but once I passed I was added on for no extra charge and i was still 17 (we said we can take our business else where if you can't help so they were kind enough add me for free).

So first if you really want to be insured on the van you will have to wait until you get your test and pass. But then once you pass your commercial insurance will be cheaper. You should be able to get commercial easy enough,

And you don't have to own your own car to get your full licence, you can do lessons and then rent your instructors car for the day of the test.

So when you do pass your test, go and find a good broker.
    nowadays you have to wait 6 months after getting the lincnse to apply my brother done the same as u 5 yrs ago and had a starlet at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Get insured in someone elses name as a named driver. As long as you never use the insurance you will be fine. Also you can get commercial insurance for a van very cheap. My mate had it for 800 sterling when he was 18 in his own name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

wedge911 wrote: »
    Sorry new to this and cant start a new thread was wondering of any insurance companies that deal with duis im only twenty made a terrible mistake two years ago and lost my license for three years got it back last week...also wat would insurance be like under 1 of my parents on a second car as a named driver

Try the likes of XS Direct or someone like ARB broker. There are companies out there who will deal with high risk categories, but be prepared to either pay big money (in the case of someone like ARB), or have next to no cover other than the piece of paper on your windscreen (in the case of XS Direct with their €4000+ on the policy).

Forget about the van; get a small 1 litre car, get insured on it however you can (named driver under a parents policy etc), get lessons, and pass your test. Then worry about trying to get a van to bring down or help with the cost of the insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 wedge911

djimi wrote: »
    Try the likes of XS Direct or someone like ARB broker. There are companies out there who will deal with high risk categories, but be prepared to either pay big money (in the case of someone like ARB), or have next to no cover other than the piece of paper on your windscreen (in the case of XS Direct with their €4000+ on the policy).

thanks alot must give them a ring tamara ..wat about goin unte someone elses policy as a named driver on a car

Get insured in someone elses name as a named driver. As long as you never use the insurance you will be fine.

Please tell me what's the point of getting insurance if you are only meant to be fine by never using it.
    Insurance is there to protect you against claims done against you, which sometimes might be huge sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

my first car was a fiesta van, named driver was around 2400 pounds at the time, get the test passed ASAP as others said I passed mine at 17, one year full licence and named driver price came down a bit, but fell away time went on and when I changed to a car ( a fiat punto this was back in the early 90's)

Please tell me what's the point of getting insurance if you are only meant to be fine by never using it.
    Insurance is there to protect you against claims done against you, which sometimes might be huge sums.
    Sorry, by using it I meant making a claim yourself. If you claim on the insurance the person whose name you are under will pay a higher premium.
    If someone else claims against you its up to you if you will use the insurance and pay back the person who is paying the premium.

Sorry, by using it I meant making a claim yourself. If you claim on the insurance the person whose name you are under will pay a higher premium.
    If someone else claims against you its up to you if you will use the insurance and pay back the person who is paying the premium.

It's not as simple.
    Insurance company in case of any accident followed by claim will ask who was driving, and giving them false information is a serious offence or maybe even a crime.

It's not as simple.
    Insurance company in case of any accident followed by claim will ask who was driving, and giving them false information is a serious offence or maybe even a crime.
    I was talking about being a named driver. Nothing wrong with that as long as the main driver is the proposer. Also since he doesn't have a full licence he shouldn't be driving on his own anyway so he won't be driving that much therefore it would be easy for the proposer to drive the car more than him.

I was talking about being a named driver. Nothing wrong with that as long as the main driver is the proposer. Also since he doesn't have a full licence he shouldn't be driving on his own anyway so he won't be driving that much therefore it would be easy for the proposer to drive the car more than him.
    this is why i want my own insuranceso if i do make a mistake iam causing thedamageto myself not somebody else

this is why i want my own insuranceso if i do make a mistake iam causing thedamageto myself not somebody else
    Fair enough but it will cost you an arm and a leg. You would need to be getting the turf free to make enough money to pay the insurance!
    I'm driving nearly 4 years, no accidents, claims or convictions. Never even been pulled for speeding and I get quotes for 3-4 grand if I want to go on my own name.

• Advertisement

Youre going to have to accept that if you want your own insurance at 17 and on a learners permit then it is going to cost you a lot of money. Quotes upwards of €2500 are to expected; to an insurance company you are pretty much as high on the risk scale as you can get.

Im not sure that going down the route of looking for commercial insurance on your own policy in your position is wise. There is no legitimate reason for you to be driving a commercial vehicle on a learners permit, and Im sure they are going to see you ask a high risk if you try to get such a policy.

Fair enough but it will cost you an arm and a leg. You would need to be getting the turf free to make enough money to pay the insurance!
    I'm driving nearly 4 years, no accidents, claims or convictions. Never even been pulled for speeding and I get quotes for 3-4 grand if I want to go on my own name.
    well i dont mind paying 2500 thats grand but a van would be handy and i know people who are insureing them and taxing them privatly (social,personal and domestic use) so whycant i like shouldnt a young lad with a van be cheaper than a lad with a supped up civic on d road like i am hardly going to go joy riding and donuts with a van like and i taught it would be handy if i got a small bit of work here or there and next year i hope to start a apprentership so i dont see a point buying a car for one year and if i leave it to next year to go on the road i wont have any money made from the turf and insurance isint much cheaper and all the bogs are closing down next year...get me point...thanks

well i dont mind paying 2500 thats grand but a van would be handy and i know people who are insureing them and taxing them privatly (social,personal and domestic use) so whycant i like shouldnt a young lad with a van be cheaper than a lad with a supped up civic on d road like i am hardly going to go joy riding and donuts with a van like and i taught it would be handy if i got a small bit of work here or there and next year i hope to start a apprentership so i dont see a point buying a car for one year and if i leave it to next year to go on the road i wont have any money made from the turf and insurance isint much cheaper and all the bogs are closing down next year...get me point...thanks

A van might have the perceived risk of carrying goods for personal use reward or what have you. A commercial policy has to cover people who would be spending long hours on the road delivering goods etc, hence the risk is higher.

Plus if you are carrying goods for sale well then personal insurance is of no use to you. You can't carry goods for sale under personal insurance.

Its a catch 22 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Tbh wait till you are finished school/uni as an accident now will mess you up in the future as for not wanting to rely on other people, you're 17 ! :p

You can also get your full nps w/o having insurance, use the person who gave you driving lessons car (im guessing the manditory 12 driving lessons applies to your learner permit)

A van might have the perceived risk of carrying goods for personal use reward or what have you. A commercial policy has to cover people who would be spending long hours on the road delivering goods etc, hence the risk is higher.

Plus if you are carrying goods for sale well then personal insurance is of no use to you. You can't carry goods for sale under personal insurance.

Its a catch 22 here.

I actually never could understand the idea of private or commercial insurance.
    What's the difference for them if someone is using a car for driving privately or for work. Chances of accident don't depend on if you are working by driving or driving privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Commercial insurance is more because you will have more than 1 driver/there will generally be a second person in the vehicle if delivering heavy goods and the risks that come with delivering items such as damage to property/walls and generally flying around 90% of the time to places you have never delivered to before.

I actually never could understand the idea of private or commercial insurance.
    What's the difference for them if someone is using a car for driving privately or for work. Chances of accident don't depend on if you are working by driving or driving privately.

Aunty Mary drives to the shop once a day to get milk.
    John Smith drives his transit 8 hours a day delivering parts.

One generally spends more time on the road then the other.
    Thats just one difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Ring a broker OP and explain your situation, they will be able to advise you and will have access to different insurers that you wouldn't have direct. I know Axa and Quinn (Liberty) used to have no problem with 17yr olds as long as your occupation requires the use of a van, ie, farming, groundwork, tradesmen etc..

Aunty Mary drives to the shop once a day to get milk.
    John Smith drives his transit 8 hours a day delivering parts.

One generally spends more time on the road then the other.
    Thats just one difference.

But insurance company doesnt know that really.
    Aunty Mary might be doing 50k miles a year by driving to work long distance and then maybe visiting family in Donegal every weekend while she lives in Cork.
    While John Smith might be doing only 2h driving in total while his business is not doing well.

Besides I can't see a relation between amount of time spend on the road and chance to cause an accident.o
    I know drivers who drive long distance everyday and never had accident, while I know people who drive only few times a month to shop or church and they crash regularly once every year or two.

• Advertisement

But insurance company doesnt know that really.
    Aunty Mary might be doing 50k miles a year by driving to work long distance and then maybe visiting family in Donegal every weekend while she lives in Cork.
    While John Smith might be doing only 2h driving in total while his business is not doing well.

Besides I can't see a relation between amount of time spend on the road and chance to cause an accident.o
    I know drivers who drive long distance everyday and never had accident, while I know people who drive only few times a month to shop or church and they crash regularly once every year or two.

More time on the road = more chances to have a crash. I can see the correlation.

Advertisement