Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

getting on the road at 17 problems

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

so i am a 17 year ols male..i know an insurance companies worst nitemare anyways i want to go on the road so i am pricing insurance companies ...so my first problem i want to save a plot of turf and sell it to make money for next years insurance so i taught a little van would be handy however cant find a insurance company that will insure the van for private domestic usethey all want to insure it commercialand i have no vat number.....so problem 2 i rang alot of companies and got quotes of up to €7500 for a car however 2 weeks ago i foung a quote of €1700 so i taught bout it and rang them back up only to here whoever was talking to me on the phone somehow messed up the quote as the lowest possible premium for a 17 year old is €2500 so i said no and found a local broker who offerd insurance for €1920 last week however again when i rang them up today they said the same that its 2500 at least and the woman on the phone last week said 1920 so then they also said €3200 for a van for private use so i said right i will take the van and then hesaid actually when i gave you the quote the other day i had to say you were working and didnt put you in as a student as you said just to get you a quote ...so he gave me a quote that i couldnt get a policy on and never told me the other day now i went off and bpught a van the other day thinking i was going to get insurance and he only told me today when i wentto insure it he couldnt insure it ....thanks for reading

how long did it take you to get back your learners permit 0 votes

weeks
    0% 0 votes
    months
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you got a family member that could use a trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paddylad100

yes but i want to be self dependent and want to do something myself not having to depend on others all my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I'm 21 driving since I was 17 no claims and have my full time licence since I was 18 and I'm still paying a lot for insurance but that's just the way it is unfortunately..you could try getting insured under a parent that's what I do makes it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are a couple of potential pitfalls here:

1) your insurance will be for social and domestic use, not business

2) your license is likely a provisional? In that case, it's for learning to drive while under instruction, not carrying around goods or towing.

I'm 21 driving since I was 17 no claims and have my full time licence since I was 18 and I'm still paying a lot for insurance but that's just the way it is unfortunately..you could try getting insured under a parent that's what I do makes it cheaper.
    to be honest with you i am not really worried about the price of the insurance as that can be beaten i have found a company to do it for around €2350 but i am more concerned about getting the van as it would be handy and next year or the year after i want to start a apprentiseship i know alot of people who insured a van privately but i cant so any companies that do for 17 year olds

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There are a couple of potential pitfalls here:

1) your insurance will be for social and domestic use, not business

2) your license is likely a provisional? In that case, it's for learning to drive while under instruction, not carrying around goods or towing.
    this is the problem if i dont have a way of earning money while i am still in school i wont be able to pay for next years insurance..thats why i was going selling turf and i want to go on the road now so that i will have my full lincense when i am finished school and go working so that the garda cant hassle me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

this is the problem if i dont have a way of earning money while i am still in school i wont be able to pay for next years insurance..thats why i was going selling turf and i want to go on the road now so that i will have my full lincense when i am finished school and go working so that the garda cant hassle me

So you plan to drive around in a van full of turf on your own on a provisional? I assume this is what you'll be doing as your mother or father can't always be there with you?

If so I'd think twice about getting a van this year and instead get a 1.0 micra or something along those lines and get yer full license. Then worry about the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

So you plan to drive around in a van full of turf on your own on a provisional? I assume this is what you'll be doing as your mother or father can't always be there with you?

If so I'd think twice about getting a van this year and instead get a 1.0 micra or something along those lines and get yer full license. Then worry about the van.

He already has the van.

Jimdagym wrote: »

He already has the van.

Fair point, well made.

My point still stands though. Ditch the van for now and worry about getting your full license first.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

so i am a 17 year ols male..i know an insurance companies worst nitemare anyways i want to go on the road so i am pricing insurance companies ...so my first problem i want to save a plot of turf and sell it to make money for next years insurance so i taught a little van would be handy however cant find a insurance company that will insure the van for private domestic usethey all want to insure it commercialand i have no vat number.....so problem 2 i rang alot of companies and got quotes of up to €7500 for a car however 2 weeks ago i foung a quote of €1700 so i taught bout it and rang them back up only to here whoever was talking to me on the phone somehow messed up the quote as the lowest possible premium for a 17 year old is €2500 so i said no and found a local broker who offerd insurance for €1920 last week however again when i rang them up today they said the same that its 2500 at least and the woman on the phone last week said 1920 so then they also said €3200 for a van for private use so i said right i will take the van and then hesaid actually when i gave you the quote the other day i had to say you were working and didnt put you in as a student as you said just to get you a quote ...so he gave me a quote that i couldnt get a policy on and never told me the other day now i went off and bpught a van the other day thinking i was going to get insurance and he only told me today when i wentto insure it he couldnt insure it ....thanks for reading

You dont need a vat number to insure/tax commercially. If you really wanted you could register a business name for 20 quid on cro.ie and that will be grand. Get your test asap anyways.

• Advertisement

You dont need a vat number to insure/tax commercially. If you really wanted you could register a business name for 20 quid on cro.ie and that will be grand. Get your test asap anyways.
    really can you do that ..thanks

well i think its better i drive around without a full driver in the van than with a acr and trailer as with the car i would be breaking the law twicw and i would have a full driver with me alot of the time as i would be taking the father with me most days

Fair point, well made.

My point still stands though. Ditch the van for now and worry about getting your full license first.
    how the f##k can i get my full lincenese if i cant pay for next years insurance ..i might not pass first go like and even if i do the waiting listis long and you cant apply for 6months

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is there not an age restriction on commercial insurance eg 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

i was named driver on a commercial policy at 18/19 so i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

how the f##k can i get my full lincenese if i cant pay for next years insurance ..i might not pass first go like and even if i do the waiting listis long and you cant apply for 6months

Do it like many of us did before you: ask your parents nicely to insure you as a named driver. Pay for your driving lessons from a good instructor. If you're careful and do it right, you'll pass first time.

There's no easy way to get started at driving when you're 17, so don't expect sympathy when you look for one and can't find it. We've all been through it.

Sell the van, get your full licence and then see what the lie of the land is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

yes but i want to be self dependent and want to do something myself not having to depend on others all my life
    You're 17.. You've plenty of time to be self dependant..

I was on my dads insurance for the frist few years, with the proviso that if i crashed i was to pay for any increase in his excess.. Calmed down my driving no end!

And now i have full no claims with protection, And paying €450 inc

thats why i want to tax and insure it for personal use

Chimaera wrote: »
    Do it like many of us did before you: ask your parents nicely to insure you as a named driver. Pay for your driving lessons from a good instructor. If you're careful and do it right, you'll pass first time.

There's no easy way to get started at driving when you're 17, so don't expect sympathy when you look for one and can't find it. We've all been through it.

Sell the van, get your full licence and then see what the lie of the land is.
    i am not your normal boy racer 17 year old i want to work and earn a living....never expected it to be easy but when insurance companys say they will take me on and then dont it gets annoying ..only looking for advice from ppl who have been trough it

Squ wrote: »
    You're 17.. You've plenty of time to be self dependant..

I was on my dads insurance for the frist few years, with the proviso that if i crashed i was to pay for any increase in his excess.. Calmed down my driving no end!

And now i have full no claims with protection, And paying €450 inc
    yes i get what you are saying but i want my own policy because your going to have to pay big one day so i would rather get my ncb up asap thanks

• Advertisement

yes i get what you are saying but i want my own policy because your going to have to pay big one day so i would rather get my ncb up asap thanks
    I was credited towards ncb with my named experience

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

No, some companies might have their own but generally not.

OP, you come on here asking for advice and when people give you the advice you're looking for you ignore it. There's not much we can do for you if you just ignore it all.

OP, you come on here asking for advice and when people give you the advice you're looking for you ignore it. There's not much we can do for you if you just ignore it all.
    Calm down lad i am not ignoring it but ye are going off the topic all i wanted to know if anyone knew an insurance company that would take me on for my first year at 17 on my own insurance for a small van ...simple question ..never asked anything about ncb or trailers or having a full driver i will sort that out when i am on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Calm down lad i am not ignoring it but ye are going off the topic all i wanted to know if anyone knew an insurance company that would take me on for my first year at 17 on my own insurance for a small van ...simple question ..never asked anything about ncb or trailers or having a full driver i will sort that out when i am on the road

When I was your age, not one insurance company would insure me commercially on a jeep. They all wanted a full b licence at the minimum not a provisional as I had at the time. This was either as a named driver or the sole policy holder. That was near 4 years ago, so I'm not sure if its the same.

My advise; sell the van, buy a micra (whatever small car takes your fancy) and pass your test. Do it right and you could have a van back on your hands within 6 months with a full licence and none of these problems.

You'll need to give us more details then. I.e Engine size, type of van and size.

You'll need to give us more details then. I.e Engine size, type of van and size.
    1.3 opel combo 2005 small van like a caddy and berlingo

You wanted your own policy right? I tried Aviva.ie there and put in 17 years old 1.3 Opel from 2005.

Fully comp=€6600
    Third Party=€6200

:eek:

I'm sure most companies will take you on but you'll pay the price for that privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 wedge911

Sorry new to this and cant start a new thread was wondering of any insurance companies that deal with duis im only twenty made a terrible mistake two years ago and lost my license for three years got it back last week...also wat would insurance be like under 1 of my parents on a second car as a named driver

• Advertisement

wedge911 wrote: »
    Sorry new to this and cant start a new thread was wondering of any insurance companies that deal with duis im only twenty made a terrible mistake two years ago and lost my license for three years got it back last week...also wat would insurance be like under 1 of my parents on a second car as a named driver
    Driver with a ban has to ring, they wont quote you over the net. I'd buy a bicycle if i was you. Or a lot of lube

Advertisement