Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB Gun Law in Ireland ??

• 08-04-2012 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all could anyone please tell me where I would stand with the law in selling bb guns? would it still come under the fire arms act ? Will i still need a licence ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

First I'd ask these lads
    then have a look here
    hope that helps

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 andyd1976

Hi I am referring to the ones that fire little plastic ball type pellets not the airsoft metal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The ones that fire the little plastic balls are the airsoft ones - the ones that fire the steel balls (ie. Ball Bearings, hence the name) are BB guns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It was my confusion here that got this thread bounced from here to airsoft and back to here.

Do you mean these;
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHcdsRzIe6NhN-a5GKeqh8asUAc8-ahyiMh4vDtO-Xq6rUfPaOIw
    They are ammo for airsoft, and requires the owner to be over 16, and the gun not to be over 1 joule. Anything else is a firearm, and needs the relevant license, safe, Garda application, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Hi no bother with all the bouncing around the ride was fun lol :)
    That's the ammo i mean sorry to sound stupid but what is a joule ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

andyd1976 wrote: »
    Hi no bother with all the bouncing around the ride was fun lol :)
    That's the ammo i mean sorry to sound stupid but what is a joule ?

1 Joule = 0.737 ft lbs

Hi the "BB" guns that I am looking at getting come from a hunting wholesaler in the UK and the actual guns themselves come complete with scopes/goggles ect and must admit they do look the part here is a link to the ones I am talking about :http://www.sportingwholesale.com/41/S/BB-Guns/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Based on the OP's description it is an airsoft topic so moving to airsoft.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The bottom line is you appear NOT to know anything about the product you will be selling (airsoft or airgun) , you appear NOT to know anything about the law regarding the sale of these items (you are asking here) and you appear NOT to know anything about business (you seek advice on a chat forum)
    My advice would be to forget about this enterprise.
    Regards , Keith IAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

andyd1976 wrote: »
    Hi all could anyone please tell me where I would stand with the law in selling bb guns? would it still come under the fire arms act ? Will i still need a licence ?
    Sparks wrote: »
    The ones that fire the little plastic balls are the airsoft ones - the ones that fire the steel balls (ie. Ball Bearings, hence the name) are BB guns.

I'm just quoting Sparks here for brevity.

Andyd, a BB-gun is a firearm under Irish law. BB-guns are so called because they fire BB gauge shot/ammunition; hence the "BB" in the name, which does not stand for "ball-bearing" incidentally.

As has already been commented on by se_conman, if you are unsure of the differences between a BB gun & an airsoft gun before you start selling them, you are in for a world of stress and legal misunderstand. If you are serious about selling these, go away and do your homework. You will need to understand your way through Irish law & variances between that & UK (being the import source) law concerning airsoft guns and all the possible pitfalls that you need to think of regarding import into Ireland, among whatever else is needed at a bare minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

On top of all that, the stuff you link to is coloured plastic for sale in the UK to players who aren't UKARA members or otherwise have the skirmisher defence. So they wouldn't sell here anyway.

Advertisement