Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to leave the Catholic Church?

Options
  • 06-04-2012 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭

The Holy See confirmed at the end of August 2010 that it was introducing changes to Canon Law and as a result it will no longer be possible to formally defect from the Catholic Church. This will not alter the fact that many people can defect from the Church, and continue to do so, albeit not through a formal process. This is a change that will affect the Church throughout the world. The Archdiocese of Dublin plans to maintain a register to note the expressed desire of those who wish to defect. Details will be communicated to those involved in the process when they are finalised. In 2010 229 people formally defected from the Church through the Archdiocese of Dublin. Up until July 2011 312 defected.

Would you like to leave the Catholic Church?

Would you like to leave the Catholic Church? 218 votes

Yes I would like to leave the Catholic Church
    0% 0 votes
    No I would not like to leave the Catholic Church
    80% 175 votes
    I have never been a member of the Catholic Church
    19% 43 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

If you don't believe in it you've left it. It's not as if we're branded or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Down with this sortha thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

No

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Already left.

Before they changed their terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think what they think effects me but I would prefer if they didn't consider me one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If you don't believe in it you've left it. It's not as if we're branded or something.

You would still be listed as being part of it in the official figures, and I think that those figures have a bearing on funding etc the church can get in Ireland. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on that than I can either confirm or debunk that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'd like to leave it in tatters the fairytale spreading misinformation crime covering operation it is !!!!.
    Put me down for a Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The question is redundant really, judging from past Catholic threads the answer will be a resounding yes. I for one however do not wish to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

I want to leave but they won't let me. :(

I'm Catholic and that's that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm probably like many in that I was born and raised roman catholic but I dont go to mass or anything. What implications does this Canon law change have if I want to go hog wild in the future and decide to switch to Judaism or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

The question is redundant really, judging from past Catholic threads the answer will be a resounding yes. I for one however do not wish to leave.

So you do want to leave, but you dont? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

This is it really, it doesnt affect me in my daily life. I dont feel burdened by it and I really dont care if they think im part of their stupid club.

I wont christian my children and I wont get married in a church. So it seems like regardless of what they think, I actually make the decision to be part of their belief system or not.

I choose not to believe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What is the preoccupation with Catholicism on AH about?

To answer the question, I wasn't ever in it. Even if I was ever in it, I wouldn't particularly care if I was on some dusty record somewhere. If one isn't a part of something, one isn't a part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Birneybau wrote: »
    Already left.

Before they changed their terms and conditions.

Did you get a letter of the Church?

There must have been a lot leaving around the world if the Pope stepped in to trey and block the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

We will find that many will want to leave, as if it is being cool not being part of the church or religion in general. Yes things need to change in the Catholic religion, but a lot of the teachings from religion could really benefit our children, as society seems to be getting worse.

I for one will stay with the catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

During the last census a women called to my house and when she asked about religion the conversations went:

Me: none
    her: did you go to a catholic school
    Me: yes
    her: Will I put you down as catholic then
    Me: Eh no. I said none!

philologos wrote: »
    Mainly about the fact that it's a pile of **** to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

if you don't go to church and you don't believe in the story then you're not a member. Regardless of what the pope says.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So you do want to leave, but you dont? :confused:

No I'm saying that the majority of people who answer this thread will say that they do want to leave, I personally do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

smash wrote: »
    During the last census a women called to my house and when she asked about religion the conversations went:

Mainly about the fact that it's a pile of **** to be honest.
    Why would the enumerator fill out your form on your doorstep? The form was to be filled out by the head of your household on census night.

Did you just make up that story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

My dad had to write to a bishop or catholic wizard or something to tell them he was officialy opting out of the church years ago.

Never been a member of it myself,nor have any of my siblings.

Why would the enumerator fill out your form on your doorstep? The form was to be filled out by the head of your household on census night.

Did you just make up that story?
    No, the form was incomplete when she was going through it upon collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd prefer if the state would just stop giving a **** about how many members some silly club has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

smash wrote: »

Its for that reason among others that it would be important to have an officially recognised way of leaving. There would be far to many who would have the same attitude as that woman. It would just be.. "ah, tommy is just going through a phase, he'll snap out of it he is still a catholic" etc.

To have a letter from the Vatican or whatever saying Mr/Mrs X has officially defected from the church would be a more powerful statement.

The old attitude that if you were born/batpised a Catholic then you are always a catholic is quite hard to shake in this country.

Kess73 wrote: »
    You would still be listed as being part of it in the official figures, and I think that those figures have a bearing on funding etc the church can get in Ireland. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on that than I can either confirm or debunk that.

Anything like funding and schools is done by the Census. The government don't listen to the church's claim of numbers. The church at one stage said it had more Catholics on their books in Ireland than there were people. There also known to keep dead people on forever if they don't have a Catholic funeral or if the family don't know where the person was baptised.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

woodoo wrote: »
    Its for that reason among others that it would be important to have an officially recognised way of leaving. There would be far to many who would have the same attitude as that woman. It would just be.. "ah, tommy is just going through a phase, he'll snap out of it he is still a catholic" etc.

To have a letter from the Vatican or whatever saying Mr/Mrs X has officially defected from the church would be a more powerful statement.

The old attitude that if you were born/batpised a Catholic then you are always a catholic is quite hard to shake in this country.

Spot on. This country needs to grow up bigtime and stop being in thrall to Rome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I filled in the "other" section of religion part of the census with "Semi-professional load blower 8======D~~~~"

I, for one, do care what silly clubs people are members of, forward, onwards and upwards with the semi-professional load blowers of Ireland!

woodoo wrote: »
    Its for that reason among others that it would be important to have an officially recognised way of leaving. There would be far to many who would have the same attitude as that woman.
    If I remember correctly there was a website set up by an independent group to allow you leave the catholic church but then the church changed the rules so an intermediary couldn't process the requests.

philologos wrote: »

To answer the question, I wasn't ever in it. Even if I was ever in it, I wouldn't particularly care if I was on some dusty record somewhere. If one isn't a part of something, one isn't a part of it.

The preoccupation is because they are a pure evil organisation that have committed more crimes in the country than any other organisation in this country and many people wan't them out.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    The preoccupation is because they are a pure evil organisation that have committed more crimes in the country than any other organisation in this country and many people wan't them out.
    Isn't it funny how a lot of people will complain about FF politics and then go to church on a Sunday.

Advertisement