Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to leave the Catholic Church?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If someone tells you that you're a Catholic because you were baptised, just wave your hand over their head and tell them that's the initiation process for your own religion.

Then ask them if they're gonna write "Daveist" on the next census. I'll bet not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

smash wrote: »
    If I remember correctly there was a website set up by an independent group to allow you leave the catholic church but then the church changed the rules so an intermediary couldn't process the requests.

Was this the site?

http://www.countmeout.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

woodoo wrote: »
    Was this the site?

http://www.countmeout.ie/
    Looks like it. They were on primetime after the church changed the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Funny how they accept 8 week old babies who don't join of their own accord but don't allow adults to leave of their own accord. That's a cult, and fairly fúcked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

edgecutter wrote: »
    We will find that many will want to leave, as if it is being cool not being part of the church or religion in general. Yes things need to change in the Catholic religion, but a lot of the teachings from religion could really benefit our children, as society seems to be getting worse.

I for one will stay with the catholic church.

None of those teachings could benefit anyone, being manipulated into believing in farytales isn't good for anyone. In general I'm a good person and its nothing to do with any church.
    During the last census a women called to my house and when she asked about religion the conversations went:

Me: none
    her: did you go to a catholic school
    Me: yes
    her: Will I put you down as catholic then
    Me: Eh no. I said none!

You should have reported her, its illegal for her to make a suggestion like that. They can explain the question to you but not tell you how to answer. Why weren't you filling out the forum yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Many have already left the RC and joined the increasing number of independent churches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I sent them a wire stating, "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

GarIT wrote: »
    The preoccupation is because they are a pure evil organisation

Nice demonising there. You should have been a bishop in 1950s Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yes, but sneaky fcukers the church are wont let you.

Isn't it funny how a lot of people will complain about FF politics and then go to church on a Sunday.

Strangely I always saw FF as the most Catholic political party.

Its funny just before elections to ask if the people that come to the door if the person they represent is a good catholic and then when they say yes reply with "I'm definitely never voting for him so."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

GarIT wrote: »
    Why weren't you filling out the forum yourself?

I already said it wasn't complete when she came to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

efb wrote: »
    I sent them a wire stating, "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

Eh? Low self-esteem?

marty1985 wrote: »
    Nice demonising there. You should have been a bishop in 1950s Ireland.

Sorry I only date adult women.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes I'd like to leave the church. When they say they represent millions of people I dont want to be counted in that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Biggins wrote: »
    Yes.

why do they not let you leave can you get kicked out ?
    I got some creative ideas on that one gimmie a shout i l buck you up :cool::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

If I decide that I no longer belong then the internal rules of the club, aka Canon law, no longer apply to me. I now list my religion on the census as "none" and to be honest I don't give a FF whether in some recess of parish records I am still included as one of the flock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you know when you change banks or phone provider the new one contacts the previous one and does the hand over,

could you not just join another religion* and get them to do the migration and paperwork and stuff,

*best to check the terms and conditions to see what the minimum contract is

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Snowie wrote: »
    why do they not let you leave can you get kicked out ?
    I got some creative ideas on that one gimmie a shout i l buck you up :cool::D

You can be excommunicated, it actually used to be a ceremony in its self that involved loads of black candles and a funeral bell toll.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I wish I could leave, both my fiance and I were baptised into the Catholic Church but don't follow its teachings. We've chosen not to baptise any of our children and let them choose their own faith (If they feel the need to choose one). I'd rather they live by the ethos of 'Treat everyone as you'd like to be treated, and if they're a prick to you then f*ck em, their problem' :D

You can be excommunicated, it actually used to be a ceremony in its self that involved loads of black candles and a funeral bell toll.:pac:

The Pope has said that being excommunicated does not remove you from being a Catholic, it just means they don't want you involved in the church, mass and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

LisaLee wrote: »
    I wish I could leave, both my fiance and I were baptised into the Catholic Church but don't follow its teachings. We've chosen not to baptise any of our children and let them choose their own faith (If they feel the need to choose one). I'd rather they live by the ethos of 'Treat everyone as you'd like to be treated, and if they're a prick to you then f*ck em, their problem' :D

stickin it to the man :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

No I'm saying that the majority of people who answer this thread will say that they do want to leave, I personally do not.

Aw got ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd rather raise it to the ground but for the purposes of your question, my answer is 'Yes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Kess73 wrote: »
    You would still be listed as being part of it in the official figures, and I think that those figures have a bearing on funding etc the church can get in Ireland. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on that than I can either confirm or debunk that.

The Church doesn't get funding from the State. The 'official figures' are those produced by the CSO from the Census, not those produced by the Church. I was kind-of amazed and disappointed to see that Census 2011 showed 84% of people declaring themselves to be Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Kess73 wrote: »
    You would still be listed as being part of it in the official figures, and I think that those figures have a bearing on funding etc the church can get in Ireland. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on that than I can either confirm or debunk that.
    How many times does this misconception have to be repeated?

The only "official figure" that the RCC and the government use is the census. The RCC's baptismal records are just that... a record of any and all baptisms that took place in a particular church. They are not used to keep account of the number of Catholics in Ireland for the simple reason that there are many Roman Catholics living in Ireland who were baptised outside of Ireland. I'm not even a Catholic (Nor have I ever been one) but I would have thought all of this was common knowledge.

As for the baptismal register, the same way you can't remove yourself from the register of live births just because you don't want it to be recorded that you were born in Ireland, you can't remove yourself from the baptismal register. It's a historical record of past events. Unless you can go back in time and change history, as far as i'm concerned there's no sense in removing people from a church's baptismal records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Don't consider myself a member anyways, though I was christened and confirmed. I didn't have capacity to contract at the time of either..

Frankly the church plays so small a part in my life I really don't care if they consider me a member or not. They are nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

TBH I don't believe in fundatmental parts of the religion like transubstantiation and that Mary was born without sin so i'd prefer to opt out. I think that's a good enough reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Personally I don't care enough about the subject to actually physically go about formally leaving, but without doubt the process of extricating yourself from the church should be made relatively easy if only to put a stop to fiasco's like the Census 2011 results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I only stayed with them until my youngest got into the school he is now in 2nd year in.

I insist in Hospitals etc that they put me down as no religion but have had to fight with many nurses to ensure they do. Thankfully in recent years they are starting to listen to me.

Advertisement