Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Fully agree, but to think that taxes can remain unchanged is a strange position to adopt.
    Any solution will be a combination of tax increases, spending cuts and growth.
    No problem.
    I'll pay more income tax if I have to.
    I won't pay this tax because it discriminates against people who own a home!

DON'T REGISTER / DON'T PAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

caved :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

gurramok wrote: »
    From the link

Thats about 154,000 signing up in 24hours, perhaps another 154,000 at least before the deadline tomorrow night. If more register, that would be a majority for the Yes side.

Did you pay your'e 100 euro?

From the link

Thats about 154,000 signing up in 24hours, perhaps another 154,000 at least before the deadline tomorrow night. If more register, that would be a majority for the Yes side.
    So what?
    That would still leave the best part of 700,000 odd not registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

This isn't a referendum!
    Seriously, this tax has been passed by our Dail and won't go away.
    I think people could be storing up hugh problems for the future if they want to sell their property or face other financial penalties.
    I recognise everyone is p*****d off but paying taxes is a serious business and no government in the future will ever get rid of this tax despite opposition Td's making political capital out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

gerryo777 wrote: »
    No problem.

Any private householder reading this invitation to break the law please inform yourself fully of the consequences for your property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So what?
    That would still leave the best part of 700,000 odd not registering.
    If a majority sign up, it will greatly reduce the chance of the tax being defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

According to the minister people in estates that have no footpaths, street lighting or tarred roads are exempt. I live in a place like that. Am I exempt? Oh by the way I live in the country.

Annabella1 wrote: »
    This isn't a referendum!
    Seriously, this tax has been passed by our Dail and won't go away.
    I think people could be storing up hugh problems for the future if they want to sell their property or face other financial penalties.
    I recognise everyone is p*****d off but paying taxes is a serious business and no government in the future will ever get rid of this tax despite opposition Td's making political capital out of it.

Don't be so naive!
    Wait until the next election comes around, there'll be promises to 'scrap the household tax when we're elected' coming from all sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Don't be so naive!
    Wait until the next election comes around, there'll be promises to 'scrap the household tax when we're elected' coming from all sides.

It will mainly be coming from the loony left who'll never get into Government anyway.

• Advertisement

Sionach wrote: »
    According to the minister people in estates that have no footpaths, street lighting or tarred roads are exempt. I live in a place like that. Am I exempt? Oh by the way I live in the country.
    It needs to be an explicitly exempted estate. You can find a link to the lists of exempted estates on the household charge website under the FAQ section.

[/B]

Any private householder reading this invitation to break the law please inform yourself fully of the consequences for your property.

Thanks for highlighting that bit, it stands out much better there.
    Must remember to do that myself.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Since when did any of us ever believe election promises of any sort? :p

This property tax will be around forever now, no matter what politicians promise.

dvpower wrote: »
    If a majority sign up, it will greatly reduce the chance of the tax being defeated.

We'll see next year how quick they pay.......

I take it from this that you expect the household charge to still be in place at the time of the next election?

We'll see next year how quick they pay.......
    I take it from this that you expect the household charge to still be in place next year?

No problem.

Why would I want to sell. I only bought the house. This charge (it is not a tax) was introduced while I was in the middle of buying my house along with the first time buyer having to pay stamp duty. As far as I concerned I have paid this charge for the foreseeable future.

Don't be so naive!

Judging from the vile abuse heaped upon the government by some posters on this thread they must be the most unpopular administration ever. And they are making themselves completely unelectable next time round by introducing a new tax.

Which parties do you think will be promising to do away with the tax in 2016?

I take it from this that you expect the household charge to still be in place at the time of the next election?

And I expect you'll be still paying it no matter what happens.

It needs to be an explicitly exempted estate. You can find a link to the lists of exempted estates on the household charge website under the FAQ section.
    Sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

There's something strange going on with the poll here this last two weeks. For a long time it was roughly 60/40 but it has gradually shifted more to the NO side, now at 64/36 (counting NO and YES only). How this matches the real figures we will see but it surely will seriously under represent the percentage who will pay. I am also struck by how the recent 2012 General Election poll gives Sinn Fein 37% about double what scientific polls say. It makes me think that polls on Boards on political matters are not to be taken as an indicator of the opinions of the general populace.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=21357

The population of AH are non-representative of Irish society in general.

That's probably a good thing though.

Judging from the vile abuse heaped upon the government by some posters on this thread they must be the most unpopular administration ever. And they are making themselves completely unelectable next time round by introducing a new tax.

Which parties do you think will be promising to do away with the tax in 2016?

FF are that desperate they'll just revert to type in order to get back in and the really sad thing is that it'll probably work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Why would I want to sell. I only bought the house. This charge (it is not a tax) was introduced while I was in the middle of buying my house along with the first time buyer having to pay stamp duty. As far as I concerned I have paid this charge for the foreseeable future.

The law will see it differently, you could end up with a huge tax liability against your property which will need to be discarged someday.
    It's your choice of course, but it's not something I'd want.

Sarcasm
    Wasn't paying attention:o

The law will see it differently, you could end up with a huge tax liability against your property which will need to be discarged someday.
    It's your choice of course, but it's not something I'd want.
    I'll take my chances. The banks have received enough of my money. How much of this charge will go to councils after all the overtime for tomorrow is paid, not to mention administration costs and alleged leaflet printing.

It was probably FF strategy, "Right lads, we've royally ****ed it up this time, ring the IMF and agree to anything they want, call an election and we'll take a hammering.
    The other shower can do all the dirty work for five years, get the finances back in order, we'll regroup and run again and promise to reverse all the cuts and taxes, sure the fools will be begging for us to come back. It can't go wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

From the link

Did you pay your'e 100 euro?

Wonder whats going on here?
    Mine is a rental, built in the mid-90s. Will be moving out next year hopefully, its a good apt as it is quite big and spacious, ticks all the boxes apart from the winter ;)

Is this poster even liable for the household charge?:confused:

Of couse having a full property tax bought in will have an effective on the market and devalue house prices even further

I wonder how many more of the pro household charge people on here actually own property?

Of couse having a full property tax bought in will have an effective on the market and devalue house prices even further

I wonder how many more of the pro household charge people on here actually own property?

What effect did stamp duty have on prices?

Good question, reckon a few at least couldn't buy before and are a tad bitter about it.

• Advertisement

What effect did stamp duty have on prices?
    Well if you bought a house in 2006 it added 6% to the cost of the average 3 bed semi.
    That was €20-€25k, or the equivalent of 200-250 years of this household charge.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=irish%20stamp%20duty%20rates%20in%202006&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.taxworld.ie%2Ftaxes%2Fsd%2F2006%2Fsummary&ei=3xV2T_mZE4K2hAf3n4TEDQ&usg=AFQjCNHUqdb_T35t5WdSIC7YeM2X5lIwlQ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement