Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

you need friends and a social life for Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

efb wrote: »

Not really. You can just invent a social life and bore people to death with the inane details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have a Facebook and I don't really want one. But I find I can't really live without it. Recently moved to a new place and started in college and its really the only place to find out about events happening, and use it make new friends so. It's totally necessary for me right now.

Stopped caring about Facebook "social rules" though. Delete and reject and friends I want and block a lot of people, which made them upset, but sure they never talk to me anyway :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Giselle wrote: »
    I had an account and deleted it. I feel liberated.

I spend my time and effort on actual friends, rather than reading the rubbish that spills in from everyone I've barely any interest in, but would be rude to reject as a facebook friend.

If I care enough about someone I'll speak to them or actually see them, and free my mind from all the mindless updates, snaps, stupid links, and the requests from strangers I've met once to befriend them.

yeah this part here annoys me. Every new person I used to meet would ask if I'm on facebook and now I try to awkwardly avoid the topic.

I remember once after being asked to speak to a group of youngsters about internet sites & varying dangers etc etc that a few found me afterward and started adding me :eek: Needless to say, privacy settings immediately changed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Xim1

efb wrote: »

true .. that is why I deleted my FB account ..kind of sad to dont have a '' good number of friends'' seems to be all about having more friends than your friends haha:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I use it pretty infrequently really, its not compatible with me anyway as I'm a private person and I don't care what anyone else is doing with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not on it, and never intend to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

A0 wrote: »
    Anyone not on Boards?
    :D
    Ooh, but that was a brilliant comment! It made me laugh very much LOL

And for the record, I am not on boards <

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Never bothered with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Never bothered with it either.

Anybody who I am actually close to, I can talk with face to face or ring them or chat on xbox live. I can see why it would be useful for somebody, but not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Being honest I view people who refuse to have one the same as people who refuse to have a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

How are you limiting yourself? Ever heard of a pen & paper? A phone? An email? Skype? Fúcking smoke signals?

You do realise people communicated perfectly well before Facebook came into existence?
    People communicated perfectly well before email and skype too. Should we get rid of them? Social networking is merely the next step in communications technology. It has your Email, Skype, Chat all in one. Not only that it's a great way to keep in touch with friends and share their experiences.

People I think are put off by those who abuse the facility. No I don't care to see twenty photos a day of your new born baby asleep and I don't give two ****es which Greek god I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm on it, but I rarely use it. The amount of time people waste on it is amazing and for what, to score a few likes with a catchy status now and then? I feel sorry for those people.

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm on it, but I rarely use it. The amount of time people waste on it is amazing and for what, to score a few likes with a catchy status now and then? I feel sorry for those people.
    That's a bit of a pompous presumption wouldn't you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

MyKeyG wrote: »
    That's a bit of a pompous presumption wouldn't you say?

Well obviously not everyone does it, but there are a fair few at it. I would say the people that only use facebook constructively (contact distant friends/chat with close friends occasional) are in the minority. Most are mainly like whores and/or photo merchants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Facebook status updates over the last few pages are real crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yeah they shouldn't have merged the thread about do you use facebook into this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Anyone ever hear anyone refering to themselves in third person? Weird right?
    Its one of the first signs of psychosis.

How do people not see that using facebook, - and trying to define yourself as a person, or a certain type of person -is detrimental is beyond me.

There more you try and catagorise yourself as someone, the more like that person you will become.

Life is about being free, being who you want to be... not having boundaries, being whoever the fu*ck you want to be each day. each morning. each afternoon. each evening. If you commit yourself to an online persona, feed yourself to the status quo, you will lose this.

Thinking people of the world... rest, be assured, be yourself and be free.

Have confidence in yourself that you are not them.

Giruilla

Giruilla wrote: »
    Anyone ever hear anyone refering to themselves in third person? Weird right?
    Its one of the first signs of psychosis.

How do people not see that using facebook, - and trying to define yourself as a person, or a certain type of person -is detrimental is beyond me.

There more you try and catagorise yourself as someone, the more like that person you will become.

Life is about being free, being who you want to be... not having boundaries, being whoever the fu*ck you want to be each day. each morning. each afternoon. each evening. If you commit yourself to an online persona, feed yourself to the status quo, you will lose this.

Thinking people of the world... rest, be assured, be yourself and be free.

Have confidence in yourself that you are not them.

Giruilla

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"RESPECT the emotions in sumone's heart , Rather then the expressions on sumone's face , B'coz expressions are just the formality . But emotions are the reality..There are people out der who make ya feel like ****e sometimes...And guess what..I call them?...I call them Mong's...coz they haven't der tongue connected to their brain....Der a biteen slow... LIKE....."" DUH... :-|[/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

"RESPECT the emotions in sumone's heart , Rather then the expressions on sumone's face , B'coz expressions are just the formality . But emotions are the reality..There are people out der who make ya feel like ****e sometimes...And guess what..I call them?...I call them Mong's...coz they haven't der tongue connected to their brain....Der a biteen slow... LIKE....."" DUH... :-|[/

Christ all mighty, thats stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I love when people give out about others on Facebook giving out about others on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sean.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    People communicated perfectly well before email and skype too. Should we get rid of them? Social networking is merely the next step in communications technology. It has your Email, Skype, Chat all in one.

The internet and email were breakthroughs in communication technology; Facebook is a website on the internet, so you can't really compare it to its superior. Yes, Facebook has email, Skype and chat all in one place, but so do Google Plus and Gmail. You don't see people using those though, this shows that Facebook's success isn't merely based on technological breakthroughs, it's also based on coincidental popularity, meaning eventually it will drop in popularity like all social networking websites do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

WindSock wrote: »
    The Facebook status updates over the last few pages are real crap :(

Saw the thread was updated, went back 5 pages to see what I missed, turns out it was only about the advantages and disadvantages of facebook! :(

Bring back the statuses!

Sean. wrote: »
    The internet and email were breakthroughs in communication technology; Facebook is a website on the internet, so you can't really compare it to its superior. Yes, Facebook has email, Skype and chat all in one place, but so do Google Plus and Gmail. You don't see people using those though, this shows that Facebook's success isn't merely based on technological breakthroughs, it's also based on coincidental popularity, meaning eventually it will drop in popularity like all social networking websites do.

Are you seanbiker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Saw a status of a friend of a friend earlier announcing the birth of their offspring...went something like this...

Little ball of joy arrived this morning weighing in at xlb!! Blah blah, delighted blah both blah doing well blah. With [other halves name tagged] at [hospital name / location].

Sad how people feel the need to check in / tag people in statuses at times like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sean.

keith16 wrote: »
    Sad how people feel the need to check in

Yeh, it's absurdly formal, posting on the internet whenever you change location. It's a whole new culture the world is taking on.
    Are you seanbiker?

No, my first name is Seán though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno.

My big bugbear with checking in is when it's grossly abused. For example:

'Josephine Twatface has checked in...snuggled on my luvvly blue couch eatin sum wine gums n drinkin red wine'

Then they later checked into 'the land of nod' despite clearly being awake enough to feel the need to beat their Facebook friends over the head with pointless information about their lives.

But if they have somewhere interesting to check in then it's another story. A childhood friend of mine is now a professional footballer, and I become obscenely excited when he checks into the likes of Highbury or Elland Road ahead of a game. Notsomuch Anfield though.

If you're gonna ask "why check in?", then by extension you have to ask "why social network at all?" Why use boards even? Why do randomers need to know what you think about travellers? Why talk to colleagues in work...do they really care how your day is?? Don't say nuthin' to nobody unless it's absolutely essential you do so!

But that's a bit boring then, isn't it?

As with everything, the key is moderation.

Sean. wrote: »
    No, my first name is Seán though.

Ok, carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Our President for Life

So THAT was the only spelling correction you wanted to make? Really??? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement