Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

sjms wrote: »
    Got an email too. In the Top group for Dublin! :D

Same. Though my brother applied in Mayo and got reserve, even though he put the same answers and has the same experience ( I worked in the civil service before and he didn't). Presume it's because there's fewer places.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dancer656

jayteecork wrote: »
    Reserve List. lol.
    And I get through to the next round of AO, can't do it in TCO.

If they're selecting candidates based on that silly online test, and not in aptitude tests or work experience, they they can go to hell anyway, crazy.

Same here. For a brief second I stupidly believed I had a chance seeing that I made it to the next round in the AO campaign. I would be angry right now but I totally expected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,814 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Heard nothing back from them.

That said I can't see how they can select people for interviews after that online test.

Thought we'd all have to go for an aptitude test in Croke Park or wherever.

It's repetitive clerical work, where you need to get the job done, pay attention to small details, and not get too stressed if you don't understand the bigger picture. Seems to me that the on-line test is as good as any for that.

Imagine what an aptitude test for opening, sorting and scanning mail would look like ... the folks who scored best would be the ultra fast learners who'd be most like to go mad if they had to do the job for 8 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Placed top in dublin!
    hopefully I'll be called for an interview.

Now we play the waiting game....

HomerSimpsonPicture.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25,814 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dancer656 wrote: »
    Same here. For a brief second I stupidly believed I had a chance seeing that I made it to the next round in the AO campaign. I would be angry right now but I totally expected it.

Why on earth would you believe that? The AO job is totally different, requiring a totally different sort of personality.

Sure, lots of AO applicants would be able to put their minds out to pasture and do the TCO work. But that doesn't make them the best - as in most suited to the job - applicants .

I also have a suspicion that the government wants to continue to share the work around, so that as many people as possible get some. So people who got TCO work last year might not get selected this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Same, I'm a little annoyed tbh, considering I worked for them last year.

I worked for them 2008, 2009 and then didn't get past the questionnaire in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dancer656

JustMary wrote: »
    Why on earth would you believe that? The AO job is totally different, requiring a totally different sort of personality.

Sure, lots of AO applicants would be able to put their minds out to pasture and do the TCO work. But that doesn't make them the best - as in most suited to the job - applicants .

I also have a suspicion that the government wants to continue to share the work around, so that as many people as possible get some. So people who got TCO work last year might not get selected this year.

It's called being hopeful and a little disappointed I guess. I have worked as a TCO before so I'm not totally clueless about the difference between the TCO and AO positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

daaaaaaaaaaang, reserve list dublin, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Reserve list dublin also. I wonder are you meant to just say you are brilliant at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Was there a trick question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

Reserve list for Louth :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭josieb

I dont understand how they mark these questionaires, I didn;t get call for the next round in TCO but was called for the aptitude test in AO, even though there the same job or is there a different? I am put on a reserve list but how long does that last? makes no sense :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Unlucky again! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The more I think about it , I'd say it's just random selection of the people who were able to actually complete the questionnaire. I'd say they did have applicants who rule themselves out by not being able to use the technology/ time ran out etc. Just another way of wittling it down .

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Top list in Cork. When do most of the interviews happen? This is hopefully just a back up job, but its glad to know, I was able to beat the questionnaire thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Red_Star

It was my first year applying and to be honest I doubt I would have gotten in the Top Band had I not looked on here about filling out the questionnaire ...I answered the questions with a mix of "the best" and "slightly better" .... I wonder do they run your PPS number through the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

On the reserve list for Galway and Clifden, probably not much chance of getting anything out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Do they reply to your personal email or is it on the publicjobs website?

Anyone apply to Wexford and hear anything back?

i got top band wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Top band Dublin

Can anyone tell me what the expected weekly pay is for this role if have never worked in public service before?
    It has probably been mentioned already but thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

JustMary wrote: »
    Heard nothing back from them.

That said I can't see how they can select people for interviews after that online test.

Thought we'd all have to go for an aptitude test in Croke Park or wherever.

It's repetitive clerical work, where you need to get the job done, pay attention to small details, and not get too stressed if you don't understand the bigger picture. Seems to me that the on-line test is as good as any for that.

Imagine what an aptitude test for opening, sorting and scanning mail would look like ... the folks who scored best would be the ultra fast learners who'd be most like to go mad if they had to do the job for 8 weeks!

I did the aptitude test for clerical officer in cork in Neptune stadium a few years back.

It was tougher than the one I did in croke parklast week. There was 4 tests, and numerical was taken into account.

I got 8th in cork overall,.got the interview but declined it as I felt I was too young to settle into a fulll time civil service job. In hindsight I should have attended the interview.

So yeah I'm a bit miffed that I was excluded this time based on stuff like "do you like to get things done on time?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Surprised to get into the top group in Cork.

I was sure I'd be in the reserve group after answering all of the questions on the first page admitting I'd no experience in any of the areas listed.

They must not attach much weight to that section which makes sense I suppose as they don't want to exclude people who've just finished school or college and wouldn't have much experience. That means the algorithm which ranks candidates changes depending on the age of the applicant (i.e greater weight would be given to the experience section if you are older).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Does everybody get on the reserve list yeah?:o

I'd rather they just said sorry your application was unsuccessful as opposed to this 'Reserve List' which most people here seem to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

:)
    spudz21 wrote: »
    Top band Dublin

Can anyone tell me what the expected weekly pay is for this role if have never worked in public service before?
    It has probably been mentioned already but thanks

Its €379 Per week

I got into top band for Waterford:D Last year I got the reserve list and still go in so for those who are feeling dissapointed dont be because there is every chance of getting in, it might just be a bit later than expected :)

That's good, wouldn't have minded that. I just don't get it, I criticized the questionnaire at the end, which probably didn't sit well with them.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    That's good, wouldn't have minded that. I just don't get it, I criticized the questionnaire at the end, which probably didn't sit well with them.

I felt like that last year too and I really thought I had no hope of being called but out of the blue one day they called!!! Dont worry too much over the questionnaire, you just have to wait and see:):P

Ha cool, congrats btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Amzie wrote: »
    :)

Its €379 Per week

Is that Net pay into your hand ?

• Advertisement

niallers1 wrote: »
    Is that Net pay into your hand ?

No thats before tax, this is the new rates as there was a 10% decrease