Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread (15/02/2012 to 01/05/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ann has an agenda here, from my local experience it couldn't be more opposite. In fact some people are put off by Educate Together because they're so ethnically mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

That so called 90% catholic Ireland thing is nonsense, most people write it on census out of habit, for instance church attendance in lots of working class areas is around 7%.

I did the census last year. A lot of people had issues as there was no "non-practising RC" option. Essentially you are baptised a Catholic and this is what you are, whether you like it or not until you officially leave, which is something very few people do.

Loads of complaints that there was no "non-practising" box to tick but thats the way it is, so by default most people here are Catholic even though they don't see the inside of a Church apart from Baptisms, funerals, weddings and confirmations.

I grew up in a very rural area, attendance there is down by 50% since the 80's and a lot of people go as a social meeting opportunity rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

It's good IF the child has been going to a proper play school...

yes or if the child has one or both parents able to provide the appropeiate basic groundings which I doubt very much "catholic ethos mam" would!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Nothing like the Catholic ethos to get your kid off to a good start....

"next exercise, everyone bend over!"

xbfdlc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Having put my son's name down on 4 ET waiting lists before he was born she is right...I cannot see how someone can come into an area and get a place in a ET school with a long waiting list. ET schools are on a first come / first served basis and that is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ann has an agenda here, from my local experience it couldn't be more opposite. In fact some people are put off by Educate Together because they're so ethnically mixed.

The only one i know is the one in Lucan opposite Foxdein and there was no way i was sending my child there

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Is being middle class a crime now?

Apart from in Joe's condescending eyes of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

bijapos wrote: »
    I did the census last year. A lot of people had issues as there was no "non-practising RC" option. Essentially you are baptised a Catholic and this is what you are, whether you like it or not until you officially leave, which is something very few people do.

Loads of complaints that there was no "non-practising" box to tick but thats the way it is, so by default most people here are Catholic even though they don't see the inside of a Church apart from Baptisms, funerals, weddings and confirmations.

I grew up in a very rural area, attendance there is down by 50% since the 80's and a lot of people go as a social meeting opportunity rather than anything else.

Which is why I put down Jedi as my religion. Im not practising, as there is no religion as such but I'll be damned if I'm counted as a catholic just because a man in a dress sprayed water at me when I was 6 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭surferdudz

europa11 wrote: »
    Nothing like the Catholic ethos to get your kid off to a good start....

"next exercise, everyone bend over!"

xbfdlc.jpg

I take your point...but I think excercise HAS a place in the primary / secondary curriciulum...

"What is your subtext?"

That's something you should ask of yourself more often rather than of others Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

syklops wrote: »
    Which is why I put down Jedi as my religion. Im not practising, as there is no religion as such but I'll be damned if I'm counted as a catholic just because a man in a dress sprayed water at me when I was 6 months old.
    Could have put down 'No Religion'.

As long as it was only water!:D

I would say she would be quick to throw a duster:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Be thankful it was only water you were sprayed with! :pac:

I don't see how the teaching of any religion should be part of any educational curriculum.

" newcomers TO THE COUNTRY " FFS Joe...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Bertiebasher

where is dublin 14, Joe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Madeline had a sharp greeting to her Joe, shes up to something

gettin a bit boring....whats next?

Just looking at the tags below, what's the "Bon jovi on line 2" about? I missed that one, can someone give me a quick explanation?

• Advertisement

The only one i know is the one in Lucan opposite Foxdein and there was no way i was sending my child there

Why ?

surferdudz wrote: »

Adoptions

surferdudz wrote: »

Garlicgate......next race from Cheltenham.......my money's on a little breakeen first :D (that's not a hoss!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Just looking at the tags below, what's the "Bon jovi on line 2" about? I missed that one, can someone give me a quick explanation?

Brush Shiels rang up demanding Joe get Jon Bon Jovi on the air to settle their long running dispute over the Band Name 'Skid Row'

Bon Jovi has been on hold ever since.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/brush-shiels-accuses-bon-jovi-of-stealing-skid-row-band-name-330443-Jan2012/

Adoptions

Just in case you wanted to put a face to the telephone box woman and truck driver man, their pics are here today
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/woman-left-in-phone-box-as-a-baby-reunited-with-driver-who-found-her-3047456.html?start=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

sounds like she was dragged up, not brought up.

" Lets educate together......"

I am suspicious about all this sudden huge loyalty to catholic schools??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bijapos wrote: »

I'd have to disagree with just one thing, a priest throwing water over me and reciting some archaic spiel doesn't make me anything, would be like me reciting mumbo jumbo from Harry Potter over a baby and saying to its parents that it was now a Wizard, ie meaningless. I grew up catholic until I was 15 and realised religion was nonsense like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, now I call myself a humanist, I put no religion on census they should have humanist as an option.

"there's 90% of catholics in this country"

I'm guessing she means 90% of this country is catholic. I doubt that figure.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Why ?

I did not want her held back by kids who could barely speak english or disruptive children from the halting site 2 minutes away

It may sound wrong but you have to try and do whats best for your kids

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement