Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

7km of wiring?? Are you serious? :eek:

I can easily see why it would need a lot of wiring. I put 1/10th of a kilometre of wiring into my car in the 2 weeks. And another 10th this weekend. It doesn't help that instead of wiring straight the looms all meet in one place if you get what I mean. For my OBC instead of wiring straight to the cluster I took it down under the carpet around the back of the heater core and up to the cluster then. Need about 4 metres of wire for it instead of 50 cm. Although it is way better to do it right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Careful now Mrs Crilly when you ask Gavin from Autoglass to inject his special resin in your crack......;)

Dont worry i will ensure he wears adequate protection before he does. Now back on topic please you filthy animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Sticking wipers and the gaffa tape insulation were annoying me so I changed my linkage and motor

Photobombing Alfa :pac:
    Image1904.jpg

Image1905.jpg

Image1909.jpg

Note the new rack has a different pcb...
    Image1912.jpg

I think this is the cause of the sticking wipers
    Image1913.jpg

New trim with seals
    Image1916.jpg

Needed a washer jet too
    Image1917.jpg

And steady mount
    Image1918.jpg
    Image1919.jpg

Finally, standard vs lowered (hahaha take that foglight/ anti HID/ obnoxious parking brigade :pac:)
    Image1920.jpg

It crossed over the 100k earlier today too... Been a long journey to get there. Let the miles roll on :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Regulators, mount up!

This arrived today, so all going well I'll have a working window by the weekend. Plenty of DIY guides for the E46 online, so I'm looking forward to giving it a bash.

195700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Got aux belt tensioner kit for the Mondeo ST TDCI. The spring in the tensior is a common fault on these engines, leading to a slight noise at idle (belt vibrating). Any load on the engine noise will stop.
    Second one in two years.

DSC_0599.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

7km of wiring?? Are you serious? :eek:

Yup....was watching a programme on it last year and during the demonstration of the car and been shown all the gadgets and gizmos the presenter said the result of all this stuff along with the weight of the stuff was that the wiring for everything came in at just over 7kms.

For the life of me I can't remember the programme and google won't help either!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

How the hell do they fit it all into the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Ninja Gnomes :p

Washed my air filter last night and left it to dry overnight.Going to oil it up now and it'll be as good as new. Highly recommend the ITG air filters.

IMAG0103.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The mirror glass on my Passat fell off without warning as I was driving a few weeks back, the plastic backing was left in place so it seems the adhesive just gave up.

Volkswagen wanted €60 for a replacement :eek:

With the help of google translate I got one from ebay.de for just under €20 delivered which popped on easily.

Picked up some refills for the similarly over-priced Bosch aero wiper blades at the same time, very easy to pop off the ends of the wipers and slide in the new blades.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Its a very big car!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Still though, they surely mean it "would have been" 7km without CANBUS?
    Scary to think what the kms would be without CANBUS if the 7km is actual lenght with CANBUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Do-more wrote: »
    The mirror glass on my Passat fell off without warning as I was driving a few weeks back, the plastic backing was left in place so it seems the adhesive just gave up.

Volkswagen wanted €60 for a replacement :eek:

With the help of google translate I got one from ebay.de for just under €20 delivered which popped on easily.

Picked up some refills for the similarly over-priced Bosch aero wiper blades at the same time, very easy to pop off the ends of the wipers and slide in the new blades.

Halfords do the mirror glass for 13.99!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Ninja Gnomes :p

Washed my air filter last night and left it to dry overnight.Going to oil it up now and it'll be as good as new. Highly recommend the ITG air filters.

/jealous.

Cleaned my Alfa again :)

Then proceeded to make a short video of it running :)

What a crap phone for recording videos....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Anyone recommend the best paint to spray plastic trim inside car,Centre console is silver but is faded and wearing off so needs painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Anyone recommend the best paint to spray plastic trim inside car,Centre console is silver but is faded and wearing off so needs painting.

One of the lads used Plastic paint he got in Halfords

Johntegr wrote: »
    /jealous.

Get one so!They're relatively cheap and pay for themselves imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Saving for the full Maxogen one with Airbox. Found one brand new in the UK so fingers crossed it'll be there in a couple weeks!

For the time being I have a standard airbox with Hondata mod and drop in cone filter.

Where did you get your one? I'm gawking on ebay, there's plenty on offer... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Not done anything with it yet, but picked up my first ever clay bar kit today to use up a Christmas voucher.

Can anyone tell me - do you use them for removal of tar spots too, or is it recommended to de-tar first?

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Where did you get your one? I'm gawking on ebay, there's plenty on offer... :)

I think it was Camskill, there might be someone on here who could source you one locally tho.

I'll ask around :)

Looks like ebay is my best bet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I used Simoniz Acrylic Spray Paint. can be put on to plastic without special primers but I have only seen it in gloss/satin/matt black and gloss white.

I done mine gloss black.
    Before
    24072011235.jpg

After
    24072011240.jpg
    Top Dog wrote: »
    Not done anything with it yet, but picked up my first ever clay bar kit today to use up a Christmas voucher.

Can anyone tell me - do you use them for removal of tar spots too, or is it recommended to de-tar first?

If its only very light tar spots and not very many you will ok to use it but if there are loads it will destroy the claybar.

sean1141 wrote: »
    If its only very light tar spots and not very many you will ok to use it but if there are loads it will destroy the claybar.
    Oh she's destroyed at the moment so will de-tar first. Thanks :cool:

Oh she's destroyed at the moment so will de-tar first. Thanks :cool:

I find holts tar remover gel very good. Usually find it in most motorfactors for about 6 quid a tin. I would get two if the car is bad. Better to have some extra than not enough!
    Spray it on, leave for a min or two then wipe off with an old microfibre cloth. Some bits will be left. I usually spray on a bit more and leave for a min or two again and they usually wipe off. It might be a bit tougher on your car if it has not been done regulary but a small bit of elbow grease will get it off. Dump the microfibre when fiished, dont try wash it in the washing machine like I did!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I was helping a mate look for a new car and I just released how cheap Focus ST`s are. I keep looking at nice cars and thinking the government can fcuk off if they think I am paying that tax.

Yup. Tis slightly harder than you'd think to find a decent one though, but they are very affordable to buy now, if you dont mind the running costs...

sean1141 wrote: »
    I find holts tar remover gel very good. Usually find it in most motorfactors for about 6 quid a tin. I would get two if the car is bad. Better to have some extra than not enough!
    I've used the Auto Glym stuff in the past and it works fairly ok too. Was considering using the Vectra concoction of white spirits & petrol this time ... will see. Can't remember the last time I de-tarred it :o

I've used the Auto Glym stuff in the past and it works fairly ok too. Was considering using the Vectra concoction of white spirits & petrol this time ... will see. Can't remember the last time I de-tarred it :o
    Paraffin does a great job aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think it was Camskill, there might be someone on here who could source you one locally tho.

Ya..... Sound chap too. I want my lube back btw

I haven't even seen my car since Monday, haven't sat in it since last Thursday, I left it at the office last week and took a company car and haven't been back to get it since

• Advertisement

i used the autoglym stuff my self but thought it was a lot harder to rub off the tar than when using the holts stuff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement