Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭phog

There is a possibility that ROG could be picked as captain and let Best be the forwards leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think TOL/Sexton is more likely.

Keep it physical and all that.

I think he will start Reddan (& O'gara) - against scotland for the gs he started stringer & O'gara.

sexton will need a break. he just had two very physical games and he put in a lot of tackles against france. he will need to be fresh for england and the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Losing POC is going to be catastrophic for our lineout against what is probably the best in the tournament.

For this reason alone I would love to see Toner given a chance, although realistically it isn't going to happen. Toner has come up against Gray already this season for Leinster and IMO has largely had the better of him.

And I don't know what option Kidney had at 9 apart from TOL or Marshall. There is little to choose between them and I suppose he just went for the one with greater experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 questforfit

O'Gara shouldn't be anywhere near the starting team. In fact i'd argue hes very lucky to even get his little cameos at the end of games (the supposed masterclass at closing out games has never come on and won a game we were losing before he came on however he has come on during games we were winning and we subsequently did not go onto win those games) Hes done nothing to deserve it and was atrocious against Wales in the QF and then against Wales two weeks ago when he came on.

Kidney is putting games at risk by putting Sexton at 12 when he never plays there simply to keep O'Gara happy. O'Gara comes on and does nada, he doesn't tackle well and gives up yards and momentum, he kicks out of hand poorly and he offers nothing in attack. Sure he even said himself that he doesnt really care about games unless he starts. How about we give a hungry young player who will be delighted in 10mins a go, someone like Ian Madigan.

Honestly, I would have dropped O'Gara after he criticised his team mate in a public interview because he wasnt selected to play against Australia (a game we managed to win, in fact, in the last 2 years the only games we've won against top opposition have conveniently been games where Sexton started at 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I actually think TOL will be okay... obviously Marshall is more in-form, and would seem to be a brilliant impact sub but people were saying Boss earlier and TOL did out-perform for the Wolfhounds.

As for McCarthy...him and Ryan would be a good 2nd row. Obviously I'd love to see Tuohy but he's not there so we'll have to make do.

As for changes for the team, some players probably do need a rest. ROG might get a start, Scotland are generally a team he does fairly well against, Cronin probably deserves a shot, maybe Court, Healy looks dead on his feet after about an hour sometimes. Maybe POM in the backrow too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

There'll be only two changes lads this is Kidney we're talking about he was never going to change anything unless it was forced, granted if I were in charge I'd STILL drop O'Callaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

prospect wrote: »
    Disaster.

Who'll be captain?

Probably O'Leary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Ryan/DOC is the second row pairing then there is literally no fathomable reason to start ROG as we'll have no lineout to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yeah, Scotland will murder a lineout that has a DoC/Ryan pairing in it.

Tuohy would probably be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

With POC out, it might be necessary to drop SOB for POM in order have some chance in the lineout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kinger83 wrote: »
    Boss is in NZ for personal reasons apparently, otherwise i'm guessing he would of been called up.

Ah ok that explains it then. Tbh I found it strange that TOL would be called up given Boss was picked ahead of him for the A game, even with Kidney's previous man love of TOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

phog wrote: »
    There is a possibility that ROG could be picked as captain and let Best be the forwards leader.

It would be a completely stupid move to give the captaincy to a man who no longer has a starting berth. So I agree with you. Anything could happen under Kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

There's no way Kidney would be stupid enough to start DOC and DR together would he? Our backrow lineout options aren't strong enough to make do with bruisers in the row like France do.

Hype710 wrote: »
    There's no way Kidney would be stupid enough to start DOC and DR together would he? Our backrow lineout options aren't strong enough to make do with bruisers in the row like France do.

It's either that or Mike McCarthy, can't see Kidney starting him in a million years

cgpg5 wrote: »
    It's either that or Mike McCarthy, can't see Kidney starting him in a million years

Tuohy is in the extended squad that McCarthy has been added to, so a straight swap of Tuohy for POC would make sense. He certainly won't be dropping DOC now in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

With POC out, it might be necessary to drop SOB for POM in order have some chance in the lineout.

I'd be alright with that. Although would POM actually make a difference against Gray/Kellock? HIghly doubt it.

I could see it happening. But why try (and fail) to compensate for their superiority in one set piece by sacrificing the breakdown? I'd much prefer to see us keep the ball in hand, keep it alive, and give them little opportunity to punish our lack of a lineout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

boynesider wrote: »
    For this reason alone I would love to see Toner given a chance, although realistically it isn't going to happen. Toner has come up against Gray already this season for Leinster and IMO has largely had the better of him.

Toner didn't match up against Gray in the line out. Leinster put McLaughlin tracking Gray for the match and he did a great job. Whilst Toner wasn't found wanting, it wasn't really a head to head encounter. Don't think we should bring Toner in although I'm a big fan. Play the game on our terms. Don't bring in guys to try and negate their twin towers. Bring in mobile locks and play a fast, quick ruck ball game. Our backs are scoring tries and we're far more dangerous. Play Tuohy and Ryan, keep the ball in play and play the game on our terms.

Tuohy is in the extended squad that McCarthy has been added to, so a straight swap of Tuohy for POC would make sense. He certainly won't be dropping DOC now in any case.

Gee would love to see Tuohy and Ryan get a go together

GerM wrote: »
    Toner didn't match up against Gray in the line out. Leinster put McLaughlin tracking Gray for the match and he did a great job. Whilst Toner wasn't found wanting, it wasn't really a head to head encounter. Don't think we should bring Toner in although I'm a big fan. Play the game on our terms. Don't bring in guys to try and negate their twin towers. Bring in mobile locks and play a fast, quick ruck ball game. Our backs are scoring tries and we're far more dangerous. Play Tuohy and Ryan, keep the ball in play and play the game on our terms.

Absolutely agree, chance of it happening are slim to none though.

I'd be alright with that. Although would POM actually make a difference against Gray/Kellock? HIghly doubt it.

I could see it happening. But why try (and fail) to compensate for their superiority in one set piece by sacrificing the breakdown? I'd much prefer to see us keep the ball in hand, keep it alive, and give them little opportunity to punish our lack of a lineout.

POM was always likely to get a look in against Scotland, the only unknown would be who misses out. I would have liked to see Ferris rested and have SOB to continue at 7 but, with POC out I feel we'll need our best lineout options to survive.

If Scotland realise we've no lineout without POC, they'll target the area. At least with DOC, Ryan, Ferris, POM and Heaslip we've 5 decent-to-good lineout options.

That said, I do think that Ryan has improved a lot in his lineout play in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Absolutely agree, chance of it happening are slim to none though.

Beat me to the punch.
    It'll be Ryan/DOC.

I'd imagine Reddan will start with TOL benching, but wouldn't be the least surprised if TOL started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

With POC out, Toner should be starting. Best lineout operator available by some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭JRant

fitz wrote: »
    Beat me to the punch.
    It'll be Ryan/DOC.

I'd imagine Reddan will start with TOL benching, but wouldn't be the least surprised if TOL started.

Think your on to something there. I wouldn't be surprised if Deccie named this team for Scotland

1-Healy
    2-Best
    3-Ross
    4-DOC
    5-Ryan
    6-Ferris
    7-POM
    8-Heaslip

9-TOL
    10-ROG

11-Zebo
    12-McFadden
    13-Earls
    14-Bowe
    15-Kearney

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Think your on to something there. I wouldn't be surprised if Deccie named this team for Scotland

1-Healy
    2-Best
    3-Ross
    4-DOC
    5-Ryan
    6-Ferris
    7-POM
    8-Heaslip

9-TOL
    10-ROG

11-Zebo
    12-McFadden
    13-Earls
    14-Bowe
    15-Kearney

I honestly don't see much wrong with that team selection. TOL would obviously be a very contentious decision, but provided ROG starts his physicality would most likely be essential. Reddan has earned a start though.

Zebo too wouldn't be a very popular choice. I don't feel that he is ready for international rugby yet (we'll unlease him on NZ ;)), but he is in great form which deserves to be recognised. I'd worry about him, but it would be an issue of Kidney rewarding form. A lash from the #22 jersey would probably be the best choice.

McFadden is stitched into the 22 jersey just like court is with 17 though.

An out and out winger in Zebo, much like an out and out centre like P.Wallace makes a terrible bench option.

McFadden is stitched into the 22 jersey just like court is with 17 though.

An out and out winger in Zebo, much like an out and out centre like P.Wallace makes a terrible bench option.

Not really. Sexton covers 12, Bowe 13 as seen by the Italy game, and neither Zebo nor McFadden cover full back. I'd like to see Zebo named at 22 for Scotland, the guy is in scintillating form.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Looks like Dan Tuohy isn't going to be involved with Ireland at all. He doesn't sound too happy about it either.

http://twitter.com/#!/dan_tuohy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clegg wrote: »
    Looks like Dan Tuohy isn't going to be involved with Ireland at all. He doesn't sound too happy about it either.

I don't blame him. Though Tweeting about it probably not the most productive approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭clsmooth

There is no way Kidney will give Zebo a run, regardless of whether he deserves it or not. He's too conservative to put him into a must win game for him. His job really requires 2 win from our last 2 games. A draw in France shouldn't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Clegg wrote: »

Little bit ill judged. That comment will do him little good in the eyes of the coaching staff. Stops short of criticising the call but he's clearly and understandably p*ssed with the decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement