Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

danthefan wrote: »
    It can't be DOC/Ryan. We'd have no lineout.
    McCarthy also normallly plays that LH side doesn't he?

I think we could see him slot straight in beside DOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

POC gets injured and Ryan still can't get a start??

*Head explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Still a poor lineout though right?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

I like to think of myself as borderline objective. I don't see myself as a leinster nutter. I think Kidneys bias is impossible to deny and there are plenty of examples every year. This is just another one.

Not really as Boss is away in NZ at the moment :rolleyes: Plus he doesn't exactly have huge praise for TOL, he dropped him out of the WC squad.
    Kidney keeps his experienced players and its a pain in the ass..whether its DOC or D'arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

It just wouldn't be like Kidney to replace our entire second row from the France game, DOC will stay in for the Scotland game.

Who will run the line-out in POC's absence?

• Advertisement

In other news Brad Thorn arriving in Dublin tomorrow. Could we tan spray paint him, give him a wig and let on he is DOC saturday?.

d-gal wrote: »
    Not really as Boss is away in NZ at the moment :rolleyes: Plus he doesn't exactly have huge praise for TOL, he dropped him out of the WC squad.
    Kidney keeps his experienced players and its a pain in the ass..whether its DOC or D'arcy

It's fine if Boss is in NZ, but if you have no way of knowing that beforehand, it correctly looks like another horrendous decision.

Leslie91 wrote: »

McCarthy is absolutely savage in the lineout, over 70% of the ball goes to him in the Connacht lineout, which is one of Connacht's best aspects of play

Tox56 wrote: »
    It's fine if Boss is in NZ, but if you have no way of knowing that beforehand, it correctly looks like another horrendous decision.

Well he is away in NZ and he was in the training squad so would be a bit odd if TOL just leapfrogged him for no reason. As I said TOL is not one of Kidney's favourites

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm guessing you don't watch Connacht much. McCarthy is a superb lineout operator, and also regularly steals opposition lineout ball too. Would be harsh on Ryan, I'd like to see him and McCarthy play together, but we all know DK is going to pick DOC, there's no way he'd pick a brand new second row combination... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm guessing you don't watch Connacht much. McCarthy is a superb lineout operator, and also regularly steals opposition lineout ball too. Would be harsh on Ryan, I'd like to see him and McCarthy play together, but we all know DK is going to pick DOC, there's no way he'd pick a brand new second row combination... :rolleyes:

Not alot I must admit...

Does he jump at 2 or 4 though?.

Zzippy wrote: »

I wonder would DOC and McCarthy work though. He won't drop DOC coz of 'experience'. Is Tuohy in the extended squad?

Not alot I must admit...

Does he jump at 2 or 4 though?.

Usually 4 but well able to move up.
    I wonder would DOC and McCarthy work though. He won't drop DOC coz of 'experience'. Is Tuohy in the extended squad?

Don't think Tuohy is training with them, McCarthy was training with them last week and has been called in now. I'm guessing DK will go with DOC and Ryan, but tbh I haven't seen much of Ryan in the lineout so don't know his capabilities there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I was fairly confident we'd beat Scotland but with POC gone it's a massive blow to our chances. I'm virtually positive Ryan and DOC will start, which virtually just concedes the lineout. Think back to 2010 where they dominated the lineout (and scrum, though that shouldn't happen this time) and won the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

danthefan wrote: »

TOL getting called up is beyond laughable. He's in the 22 now because there are no other SHs in the squad. Pathetic.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/25806.php
    I actually think i'm going to vomit. Kidney has the memory span of a goldfish by the looks of it; do not be surprised to see O'Leary start one of the remaining games.

Another slap in the face for a player in form. Could he not have at least brought Marshall out for training, at least pretend like it wasn't a done deal that he'd pick his pet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

POC gone is a huge blow, Boss being away doesnt help. Best will more than likely take over the captaincy for the remaining games I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I actually think i'm going to vomit. Kidney has the memory span of a goldfish by the looks of it; do not be surprised to see O'Leary start one of the remaining games.

Another slap in the face for a player in form. Could he not have at least brought Marshall out for training, at least pretend like it wasn't a done deal that he'd pick his pet?

And the thing about Marshall is if on the bench he would certainly provide impact with his ability to break.

It's just ludicrous.

I like to think of myself as borderline objective. I don't see myself as a leinster nutter. I think Kidneys bias is impossible to deny and there are plenty of examples every year. This is just another one.

Boss is in NZ? If only there was some sort of giant mechanical flying machine that he could use to transport himself back to Ireland. Damn you technology!

Its very simple to see Kidneys bias, but I understand how you could miss it if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

POC gets injured and Ryan still can't get a start??

*Head explodes*

Munster bias obviously....oh wait :rolleyes:

Or to put it another way people here jumped the gun and had the knives out in the skip of a heartbeat.

Boss is in NZ? If only there was some sort of giant mechanical flying machine that he could use to transport himself back to Ireland. Damn you technology!

Its very simple to see Kidneys bias, but I understand how you could miss it if you want to.

Less of the sarcasm, it is supposedly for personal reasons that Boss is away

• Advertisement

If he's over there for personal reasons, it could be for a family illness or bereavement, so I doubt flying home is an option right now.

As for bias, I don't know if there is provincial bias, but definitely I think Kidney feels he can only trust players he knows and who have "performed" for him in the past, he seems to have an innate fear of trusting new players who he doesn't know well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

In partial defence of TOL, as someone who was glad to see him not picked for the WC: the last few Munster games I've watched he's been a hell of a lot faster to pass. Looks as though he knows he has a problem and is consciously working on it.

Would still like to have seen Marshall get a shot, though.

Less of the sarcasm, it is supposedly for personal reasons that Boss is away
    And is it for personal reasons that Kidney continually prefers Munster players to superior non Munster players?

Look at Marshall last weekend and look at TOL last weekend and tell me TOLs call-up isn't a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Do you think Kidney even remembers why he left TOL out of the World Cup squad?

He hasn't gotten any better since then either. He's been rubbish for Munster since the start of the season.

Experience means nothing when your'e playing like ****e. I'd have Marshall in before TOL. Feck I'd rather have Stringer than TOL.

We'll have to pray to God that Reddan doesn't get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I have been pushing Ryan/Tuohy to start for a while, but it will surely be DOC/Ryan. Tbh, I prefer Toner, McCarthy, Ryan and Tuohy to DOC.

Munster bias obviously....oh wait :rolleyes:

Or to put it another way people here jumped the gun and had the knives out in the skip of a heartbeat.

So what, nothing is mentioned anywhere in the official announcement is jumping the gun?

Is there a set amount of time we have to wait before voicing displeasure at the selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

Kidney calling up TOL and McCarthy when marshall has been in excellent form and big dan has been outstanding for ulster. He has raised his game another level with muller out. It's nothing short of a travesty but typical of kidney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Now Redden has to start, I bet kidney will play O'Gara....:p

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Now Redden has to start, I bet kidney will play O'Gara....:p
    I think TOL/Sexton is more likely.

Keep it physical and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 questforfit

I think TOL/Sexton is more likely.

Keep it physical and all that.

I genuinely wouldn't put it past Kidney.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement