Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

27 pages and game hasn't started????

Do you not know it is the most predictable game in history with the most predictable manager in World Rugby!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Big Nelly wrote: »

Do you not know it is the most predictable game in history with the most predictable manager in World Rugby!!!!!

i predict an Ireland win :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

duckysauce wrote: »
    i predict an Ireland win :)

I predict you will be proven wrong :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Big Nelly wrote: »

Did you predict a 9 point win over Australia in the World Cup last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

JRant wrote: »
    Well you see there's a wee hole in your theory and its that he doesn't infer anything, he states they are better and then says he'd have POM. A Why, How, Where and When would have been nice from him but nothing. Just states one fact while contradicting it with the next.
    For the record Dom Ryan is in IMHO a far superior 7 than POM, who is definetly more of a 6/8. But sure don't let the facts get in the way of a good aul speil.

The "why" he'd have POM over the other is because he thinks that POM has "technical ability, right attitude & a brain"

the "how, where & when" = by playing him there, at 7 and now (instead of O'Brien).

none of this is fact, its all opinion (yours & tolands).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

"Technical ability" could not be more vague.

As for attitude, is that implying there's something wrong with SOB's attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thing is, the only things POM is missing are size and technical ability!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

danthefan wrote: »

Don't think so. Its praise for one person. Not criticism of another.

danthefan wrote: »
    "Technical ability" could not be more vague.

No, just different attitude to the position.

technical ability could be that he is good at turning over ball whereas sob is good at carrying.

do you think sob is doing justice to himself playing at 7.

sam warburton= 6'2" 16st 10 lbs

peter o'm = 6'3" 16 st 7 lbs

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »

sam warburton= 6'2" 16st 10 lbs

peter o'm = 6'3" 16 st 7 lbs
    Are you serious?

Are you serious?

well, thats what the irfu website says and i presume they are serious.

Are you serious?

well, thats what the irfu website says and i presume they are serious.
    No, I cannot believe you could miss the point by that much.

Do you think POM is as well conditioned as Sam Warburton then? Haha

so there is nothing wrong with his size, just his conditioning. is that what you are saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

so there is nothing wrong with his size, just his conditioning. is that what you are saying?

Yeah that's what he is saying. Haha

By size I mean general physicality and strength, which is a weakness of his that will improve with more time as a full pro. Core strength, lower body strength. The sort of thing that young back rows always take time to build up. The reason he is getting removed from strong breakdown positions for Munster too much. Heaslip was the same, Dom Ryan is only getting there now. Just as, if not more important than, technical ability. At test level it is even more exposed.

Size is generally accepted as the generalisation for all this. I find people on here generally understand things like this.

I'm a massive fan of POM as I've said many times, but he's not the complete article yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

POM is a fantastic athlete. He has a great engine and the power to burst through tackles. He has been turning over ball all season and thats when playing at 6.

I'm surprised theres so many people doubting him after the season hes had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well you see there's a wee hole in your theory and its that he doesn't infer anything, he states they are better and then says he'd have POM. A Why, How, Where and When would have been nice from him but nothing. Just states one fact while contradicting it with the next.
    For the record Dom Ryan is in IMHO a far superior 7 than POM, who is definetly more of a 6/8. But sure don't let the facts get in the way of a good aul speil.

The "why" he'd have POM over the other is because he thinks that POM has "technical ability, right attitude & a brain"

the "how, where & when" = by playing him there, at 7 and now (instead of O'Brien).

none of this is fact, its all opinion (yours & tolands).

Having only played 3 games at 7 so far how does he have the "technical ability and brain" to play there?
    It's a bit rich to say he'd drop SOB while our backrow is functioning pretty well and then say Murray has to start despite playing like a drain last week.
    Your right it is only my opinion but I like to make my mind up based on facts. :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

By size I mean general physicality and strength, which is a weakness of his that will improve with more time as a full pro. Core strength, lower body strength. The sort of thing that young back rows always take time to build up. The reason he is getting removed from strong breakdown positions for Munster too much. Heaslip was the same, Dom Ryan is only getting there now. Just as, if not more important than, technical ability. At test level it is even more exposed.

Size is generally accepted as the generalisation for all this. I find people on here generally understand things like this.

I'm a massive fan of POM as I've said many times, but he's not the complete article yet.

so you reckon he doesn't have the physicality to play internat. rugby (at 6 or 8) now or just at openside?

just looked up dom ryan and he is a stone lighter than omahoney (same height). size is a completely different thing to physicality and conditioning. ha ha.

so you reckon he doesn't have the physicality to play internat. rugby (at 6 or 8) now or just at openside?

just looked up dom ryan and he is a stone lighter than omahoney (same height). size is a completely different thing to physicality and conditioning. ha ha.
    I'm taller than ODriscoll, I'm heavier than him. Good to know I'm more powerful than him!

I don't think you quite understand rugby S&C. I'll leave it there so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭JRant

profitius wrote: »
    POM is a fantastic athlete. He has a great engine and the power to burst through tackles. He has been turning over ball all season and thats when playing at 6.

From my own perspective it's the notion that he's some sort of panacea for the backrow. I'm sure he's all of those things you've described but there are other players who've put the performances in over a longer time scale and can't get near the team.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I'm taller than ODriscoll, I'm heavier than him. Good to know I'm more powerful than him!

what are you on about now.

devin toner is a big size wise (both height & weight) but was lacking in physicality and conditioning - think he conditioning has improved a lot this year.

size is not the same as physicality or conditioning. if it were, those words would not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

profitius wrote: »

Nobody doubts him or his talent. It's the logic for saying he is the best choice at 7 that is being questioned.

Having only played 3 games at 7 so far how does he have the "technical ability and brain" to play there?
    It's a bit rich to say he'd drop SOB while our backrow is functioning pretty well and then say Murray has to start despite playing like a drain last week.
    Your right it is only my opinion but I like to make my mind up based on facts. :)

you see it in some players - you know they are going to be a bit special. toland reckons omahoney is going to be a world class player. you might find that difficult to understand as you can only deal with fact.

and the backrow is not functioning well considering the 3 great players that are there.

what are you on about now.

devin toner is a big size wise (both height & weight) but was lacking in physicality and conditioning - think he conditioning has improved a lot this year.

size is not the same as physicality or conditioning. if it were, those words would not exist.
    Devin Toner is the same height and weight as 2 years ago. He is far stronger now than then. He cannot put on weight, but he is getting stronger and stronger. This is what happens with years working in a pro rugby setup and its what POM is missing right now.

I'm aware its not the same, but size/strength and all terms that fall under that physical umbrella are quite interchangeable when talking about rugby. I find it hard to believe you've never encountered that.

You are either being pedantic or just not understanding the point I'm making about POM. Either way, that is why SOB is a better 7 than him right now.

Also I actually think POM could well be a better bench option than SOB.

Nobody doubts him or his talent. It's the logic for saying he is the best choice at 7 that is being questioned.

needs must. david wallace would probably have been a much better No. 8 (or blindside), but he played openside because the rest available were just not good enough . Jennings, while being good at club level just doesn't have it at international level.

Devin Toner is the same height and weight as 2 years ago. He is far stronger now than then. He cannot put on weight, but he is getting stronger and stronger. This is what happens with years working in a pro rugby setup and its what POM is missing right now.

I'm aware its not the same, but size/strength and all terms that fall under that physical umbrella are quite interchangeable when talking about rugby. I find it hard to believe you've never encountered that.

You are either being pedantic or just not understanding the point I'm making about POM. Either way, that is why SOB is a better 7 than him right now.

Also I actually think POM could well be a better bench option than SOB.

I'm just surprised that a rugby guru like you wouldn't use the word physiciality or strength & conditioning. I've never heard of a 'size' coach.
    The word 'physicality/conditioning' is fairly mainstream to specifically describe what has happened to devin toner (differentiating size) .
    so lets leave it at that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

needs must. david wallace would probably have been a much better No. 8 (or blindside), but he played openside because the rest available were just not good enough . Jennings, while being good at club level just doesn't have it at international level.

Yeah, because he got a chance to prove otherwise in all of those opportunities that he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't understand what exactly is being argued, SOB is a better player right now than POM, and has had plenty of excellent games at 7.

Does nobody else see the flaw in starting POM for the first time away v France, while at the same time dropping the European player of the year?

Start POM v Scotland and put SOB at 8.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't understand what exactly is being argued, SOB is a better player right now than POM, and has had plenty of excellent games at 7.

Does nobody else see the flaw in starting POM for the first time away v France, while at the same time dropping the European player of the year?

Start POM v Scotland and put SOB at 8.

i wouldn't have started him against france either- too much of an ask, but he does need to be tried out and scotland would be a good one for him.

Advertisement