Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Reckon I'll keep Bale. Even if he doesn't make this weekend he should be fine for the next one going by official club comments. He's a player that if you get rid of you'll be weakening your team elsewhere to get him back in. 0.7 is a big hit to take.

I've held onto Valencia. Lost .2 on him but who I was considering getting in for him scored 1 point last weekend. So wouldn't have been worth the 4 point hit. Have one free transfer now. Debating getting rid of him tonight but don't know who to bring in. Have Dempsey, Silva and McClean. 0.6 in the bank.

Kepp him, he should be back for westbrom at home

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Aguero, Silva and Kompany all going up in price tonight

Makes Rooney even more affordable for people making the switch next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Reckon I'll keep Bale. Even if he doesn't make this weekend he should be fine for the next one going by official club comments. He's a player that if you get rid of you'll be weakening your team elsewhere to get him back in. 0.7 is a big hit to take.

I've held onto Valencia. Lost .2 on him but who I was considering getting in for him scored 1 point last weekend. So wouldn't have been worth the 4 point hit. Have one free transfer now. Debating getting rid of him tonight but don't know who to bring in. Have Dempsey, Silva and McClean. 0.6 in the bank.

Fully agree with you on Bale, but I think the Valencia ship has sailed. He's the 3rd choice player out of him, Nani, and Young. Young's injury put him in the starting 11, and now his own injury at the same time Young is back fit is most likely resulting in them switching again. You better hope Young has a stinker against Spurs on Sunday, because a fit Nani is the 2nd player on the team sheet after Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What does everyone think of Nani and McClean to replace Sessegnon and Valencia ???

If i bring in Nani for Valencia im 1.9 mil down so have to drop one my players and i aint droping bale or silva in midfield. Either i do that or i drop Ba and bring in the yak......

Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

carlcon wrote: »

Fully agree with you on Bale, but I think the Valencia ship has sailed. He's the 3rd choice player out of him, Nani, and Young. Young's injury put him in the starting 11, and now his own injury at the same time Young is back fit is most likely resulting in them switching again. You better hope Young has a stinker against Spurs on Sunday, because a fit Nani is the 2nd player on the team sheet after Rooney.

Nani is a player that I want to bring in. Him and Rooney to replace Agüero. I'd need to make 3 subs for that to happen. Don't want to take an 8 point hit this week. I can live with the 4 point hit next week. So I think I'll leave my team as it is for now. Not expecting much point wise as things stand with the amount of maybe's I have. Just gonna hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

You really think that? I would be amazed if Valencia didn't go straight back into the team once he's fit, regardless of how well Young plays in the meantime. Valencia was playing brilliantly in the weeks before his injury and just because he gets injured doesn't mean he can be written off. I'm holding onto him anyway.

Thats simply just not true, Valencia is Uniteds first choice rightsided winger, Ferguson trusts him more than nani and he is overall much more consistent, Rooney also scores much more when Valencia is in the team, when Valencia is fully fit it will be nani and young fighting over the left side

Thats simply just not true, Valencia is Uniteds first choice rightsided winger, Ferguson trusts him more than nani and he is overall much more consistent, Rooney also scores much more when Valencia is in the team, when Valencia is fully fit it will be nani and young fighting over the left side

What's that based on? Instead of just saying "you're wrong", I'll prove it. I've looked through a bunch of PL games between August-December when all 3 were fit to play, and only found 4.

All 4 had both Nani and Young ahead of Valencia.

3-1 against Chelsea
    1-6 against City
    1-1 against Liverpool (Nani and Valenica started on the bench, then Nani came on for Young. Valencia stayed benched).
    1-1 against Newcastle

I came across a lot more than 4 games where Nani & Young played together too. I just skipped over the ones that Valenica wasn't named on the bench, in case he was injured (although I suspect it wasn't always due to injury)

Ever since Young was bought in the summer, Valencia has been 3rd choice winger. The games are there to be seen.

*edit* further research outside of the PL shows that Valencia was fit fora lot of those games when he wasn't on the bench, but was just played in the League Cup/Champions League instead, where Fergie played weakened teams. You don't play your #1 right winger in the league cup, then not even bench him in the big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

What's that based on? Instead of just saying "you're wrong", I'll prove it. I've looked through a bunch of PL games between August-December when all 3 were fit to play, and only found 4.

3-1 against Chelsea
    1-6 against City
    1-1 against Liverpool (Nani and Valenica started on the bench, then Nani came on for Young. Valencia stayed benched).
    1-1 against Newcastle

Ever since Young was bought in the summer, Valencia has been 3rd choice winger. The games are there to be seen.

That doesnt factor in Valencia being brilliant when he got his chance... He's earned his right to stay in the starting 11 imo. Only Fergie knows, but i'm with the lads on this one, i think Valencia will keep his place on the right

manual_man wrote: »
    That doesnt factor in Valencia being brilliant when he got his chance... He's earned his right to stay in the starting 11 imo. Only Fergie knows, but i'm with the lads on this one, i think Valencia will keep his place on the right

Valencia is almost always brilliant when he gets the chance. I'm not saying he's a bad player. I love the guy, and would play him every single game. But Young is ahead of him in Fergie's books. Ferguson bought Young for a reason, and Nani is United's 3rd biggest player after Rooney and Vidic.

Anything can happen, and sure, maybe Valencia will play every game once he's fit again. But all we have is history, and history says he's 3rd choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

manual_man wrote: »

Valencia is almost always brilliant when he gets the chance. I'm not saying he's a bad player. I love the guy, and would play him every single game. But Young is ahead of him in Fergie's books. Ferguson bought Young for a reason, and Nani is United's 3rd biggest player after Rooney and Vidic.

Anything can happen, and sure, maybe Valencia will play every game once he's fit again. But all we have is history, and history says he's 3rd choice.

Valencia is a different player this year. Much improved. You cant read too much into past stats, form is, and always will be, the overriding factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He was injured at the start of the season, and then when he got his chance he was either utilised at RB or he was in terrible form on the wing. He's been better than Young this season by a country mile and I'm sure Fergie sees that too.

It would take some serious form from Young and/or for Valencia's form to dip again when he returns for Valencia not to be a first choice winger for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I don't know who is or who isn't 2nd or 3rd choice but i'd play Valencia over Young. Don't rate Young too much. Good thing about getting Nani in to replace Valencia is how easy it is to go back to Valencia if he does retain his place and is playing well. You also end up with a bit of cash to invest elsewhere.

3-1 against Chelsea
    1-6 against City
    1-1 against Newcastle

I came across a lot more than 4 games where Nani & Young played together too. I just skipped over the ones that Valenica wasn't named on the bench, in case he was injured (although I suspect it wasn't always due to injury)

*edit* further research outside of the PL shows that Valencia was fit fora lot of those games when he wasn't on the bench, but was just played in the League Cup/Champions League instead, where Fergie played weakened teams. You don't play your #1 right winger in the league cup, then not even bench him in the big games.

Who started the champions league final last may?

You have to take into account Valencia played in the copa america last season which resulted in an extended rest period so thats why he started with Nani and Young, it was hard for valencia to get back into the team after that because United had there best start in years and were playing unreal football so much so that fergie couldnt change that,plus if im not mistaken valencia had one or two niggling injuries at the start of the season aswell, remember last season when valencia came back from injury he went straight back into the team for uniteds run in and stayed there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

3-1 against Chelsea
    1-6 against City
    1-1 against Newcastle

You're missing a really key point here. Valencia only returned from a really serious (potentially career-ending) injury last March. He then got injured at the Copa America and only made his first PL start in September. It would have taken him until December to really get back to the player he was and once that happened he became a regular. I know Young has been injured also but I can't see Valencia losing his place.

If you lot played this game with your heads instead of your hearts, you'd all be doing a helluva lot better this season. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Regardless of who's first/second/third choice, the worrying thing is that when all 3 are fit they are likely to eat into each others points.

It might get to a stage where it may be best to have no united winger, even with their great run of fixtures.

I will hold onto Valencia for now but as soon as I see a few 29/45 minute run outs I think it may be time to look elsewhere.

If you lot played this game with your heads instead of your hearts, you'd all be doing a helluva lot better this season.

How many points do you have

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Regardless of who's first/second/third choice, the worrying thing is that when all 3 are fit they are likely to eat into each others points.

It might get to a stage where it may be best to have no united winger, even with their great run of fixtures.

I will hold onto Valencia for now but as soon as I see a few 29/45 minute run outs I think it may be time to look elsewhere.

This is the best point made in this entire argument

Imagine fretting every week that Fergie will rotate his wingers (and he will)

I'll be avoiding them unless one of them gets injured, meaning rotation risk drops

United defence and Rooney is all the coverage you'll need imo

How many points do you have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

If you lot played this game with your heads instead of your hearts, you'd all be doing a helluva lot better this season. :pac:
    i work full time.

shangri la wrote: »
    i work full time.

As do most of us. But I miss the relevance. Unless it's some kind of awesome job that requires only using your gut and ignoring your brain?

Only takes 30 seconds to look up a players history.

My point was that despite the overwhelming facts backing Ferguson preferring Nani and Young over Valencia, I'm being told I'm wrong because people "feel" Valencia is the better choice, or because of one significant match they remember Valencia playing in. That's the kind of thinking that messes up an FF team. That's all I was getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I dunno I'd say Valencia and Nani are first choice . Valencia never really hit top form till Young was out injured .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

First choice is Valencia and Nani for me. I can see Park playing instead of Nani a bit if there is a threat down the wings. Apart from Spurs and City I can't see too many threats left.

I highly doubt he'd play Young ahead of the other two. Tony on the right, Nani on the left with Young first choice replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There's no doubt that Valencia and Nani are currently first choice in Fergie's mind. Valencia has 10 assists and 2 goals in his last 13 starts for United.

However, it all depends on form with Fergie, especially with regards wingers.

If Young and Nani play really well on Sunday, they will get a couple of games. In that situation, when Valencia eventually gets his chance, and if he impresses more so, he will start the next few games.

What's most likely to happen IMO is that Young/Park won't be anything special against Tottenham, and Valencia will be restored to the starting lineup for the next league game and probably start most of the remaining PL games because I can't see his form being disrupted too much after a relatively minor injury. The break might do him good in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

As do most of us. But I miss the relevance. Unless it's some kind of awesome job that requires only using your gut and ignoring your brain?

My point was that despite the overwhelming facts backing Ferguson preferring Nani and Young over Valencia, I'm being told I'm wrong because people "feel" Valencia is the better choice, or because of one significant match they remember Valencia playing in. That's the kind of thinking that messes up an FF team. That's all I was getting at.

Valencia is obviously first choice. Don't be stupid and condescending. Bad combination. Anyone who has an actual interest in real football can tell that Valencia is first choice when fully fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

The price drops in past two weeks have been huge. I do not fully understand the rules behind them but Steve Morison, Nikica Jelavic, and Valencia have fallen 0.5m in that time. Marvin Sordell and D.Cisse fell 0.4m. Thankfully i got rid of valencia at 8.0m but i still got burned by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Major announcement due from Newcastle this morning according to SSN,wonder what Pardew is going to say??? Please let it be that Ba is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

The price drops in past two weeks have been huge. I do not fully understand the rules behind them but Steve Morison, Nikica Jelavic, and Valencia have fallen 0.5m in that time. Marvin Sordell and D.Cisse fell 0.4m. Thankfully i got rid of valencia at 8.0m but i still got burned by it.

I've held on to Valencia despite him dropping to 7.8 now. Still think he's first choice so worth the risk.

• Advertisement

There have been quite a few overwhelming facts to the contary that you have chosen to ignore

1.Why did Valencia Upon his return from Injury midway through last season go straight into the first team and stay there?

2. Why did valencia start the champions league final over Nani?

3.What about the point that valencia played in the copa america last season, had a longer rest than everyone else, didnt have much of a preseason?

4.United with Nani and young in the team had their best start in years, hard to change a winning formula

5. Valencia had a few niggling injuries at the start of the season

Now Nani and Young have a much better individual goal threat than Valencia but Valencia's assist ratio for rooney is very high

Most united fans or anyone that watches football to a high degree can tell fergusion prefers valencia, he trusts him more.

You seem to be the type of person that gets very frustrated when someone doesnt agree with your point of view, so much so that you start to become condesending and start to sulk about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement