Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

The plants and birds have thought it was spring since early december:rolleyes:
    Not around here they didn't, but they do now.

A late freeze will really screw things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Winter 2011/2012 is most likely finished now and ranks (for snowlovers anyway) as one of the worst ever winters in Ireland. Right up there with the mild winters of 2004-2007.

I hear that temps on the east coast could reach 15oC/16oC this Wednesday. I say bring it on and kill this excuse for a winter once and for all.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Very much looking forward to a little mild/warmth next week. Though after the highs of 16C or so on Thursday, Friday should feel very much like winter again with maxima back to around 7C or 8C in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sometimes after a winter dominated by the azores high, and a resurgent pv in late winter, we can end up with fairly cold weather in March and into April. It will be interesting if, after the very warm April last year, we experience quite a cold April this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I really fear this scenario now - this winter has been too like 97/98' for my liking. Just to remind people what happend: April had snow and killing frosts with temps down to -6C that turned all the fresh growth from the mild winter black overnight, the following summer was a cool wash-out:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I really fear this scenario now - this winter has been too like 97/98' for my liking. Just to remind people what happend: April had snow and killing frosts with temps down to -6C that turned all the fresh growth from the mild winter black overnight, the following summer was a cool wash-out:(
    With a bit of luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at this stage i will embrace the mild in the hope of a decent summer. Totally lost interest in this winter and dont care if we dont see a single snow flake or frost till next winter.

I think its fair to say that winter proper will not be troubling us this year with strong model agreement up to at least the end of this month that temps could break records for all the wrong reasons(if your a cold/snow lover;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I think its fair to say that winter proper will not be troubling us this year with strong model agreement up to at least the end of this month that temps could break records for all the wrong reasons(if your a cold/snow lover;))

You konw what I hope people keep saying this. Its the one sure sign coldness might happen :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I would not rule out some winter weather till april has come and gone

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    I would not rule out some winter weather till april has come and gone

Neither would I - I'm just pointing out that the synoptic season of "winter" officially ends on the 29th of Feb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Neither would I - I'm just pointing out that the synoptic season of "winter" officially ends on the 29th of Feb.

Indeed, wintry weather has but a curiosity value after the Ides of March. It may be cold but it surely ain't winter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I am just after been on skype to the inlaws in poland there neabour works in the polish met in ther local city he said the A.O is to turn negative in 2-3 weeks and expects another cold out break maby we might geat a grouple shower or two out of it:rolleyes:,or maby nothing who knows:confused:.
    The one thing you can be sure about irish weather is ....
    you can not be sure of anything with it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Damn you FI!! I'm trying my best to embrace spring here!

2v00opy.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That bit of FI is forecast for Spring...even if it is winter. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Cavan march 12th 2011

189546_1555113010209_1606726784_31083433_2989737_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Right lads this is more of less over, Fun while it lasted, will it or won't it!

Talk in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Right lads this is more of less over, Fun while it lasted, will it or won't it!

Talk in November.

Jesus, fun it certainly wasn't this year.....more like a never-ending mild nighmare :)

It has been a lovely winter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It has been a lovely winter.

Stop teasing the punters Sponge :mad:

- kicking a snowbunny when he's down is singularly unedifying. You pull wings off flies when yer bored? :(

Having said that, it is rather pleasant here this morning, 13C, calm, sunny, clear blue skies. :)

What's not to like? It's like a fine morning in May - only it's warmer. :D

Yeeeehah! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mildest since 1989 for Shannon and Belmullet.

Mildest since 1989 for Shannon and Belmullet.

And I live half way between them. So I kinda knew it was warm.

We had c.1 day of graupel and sleet with even rarer flurries of snow for every 3 cold ramping threads in this forum. If that sort of hit ratio is maintained over future winters the place will be a complete laughing stock. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We had c.1 day of graupel and sleet with even rarer flurries of snow for every 3 cold ramping threads in this forum. If that sort of hit ratio is maintained over future winters the place will be a complete laughing stock. :(

You have a unique way of putting things SB, I have to admit that.

I'll remember this winter more for its drizzle and dampness than for its warmth. I don't mind drizzle proper at all, the thick, driving, intense stuff but this winter seemed to have endless days where it wasn't actually raining but yet so very damp that grimy puddles just seemed to develop and expand out of nothing. I counted about 3 days this winter where the roads actually dried up for a few hours (though never fully). Also, which seems to be an increasing trend over the last few winters, we have had very few spells of proper heavy rain which seems a little odd for such an Atlantic dominated season. I actually can't remember the last time we had a good solid soaker of a day.

I actually can't remember the last time we had a good solid soaker of a day.

I think the eastern half of Ireland is really quite close to being in a drought and if March is dry as I suspect it will be then the situation will be serious with 4 months of below average rainfall on the trot...we seemingly got drizzlier drizzle in the West than you did.

smd_pd.gif

smd_wd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I have seen it all now - no snow in Ireland this winter, yet today it was snowing in Syria! You gotta laugh! :D:D

D

derekon wrote: »
    I have seen it all now - no snow in Ireland this winter, yet today it was snowing in Syria! You gotta laugh! :D:D

D
    So hell does freeze over! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

boooringggg booorringggg winter :(

bring on the snow next winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

And there will probably be a foot of snow in New York for Paddy's day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

NY have had quite a mild winter too across the Atlantic. Temperatures frequently heading above 60 degrees Fahrenheit and lower snow than average throughout their winter :D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement