Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

leftleg wrote: »
    And when did POM start playing 7 seeing as you said he was "primarily" an 8 and a 6

:confused:
    JM08 .... unlike sob, O'mahoney has played a fair bit at no 8 (as well as 6 & 7) . munster seem to like their players to play several positions (or at least be able to do a job there).

for the record, he has played on the wing for Cork Con :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

and we all know how **** a captain BOD turned out to be...

:pac:

awful year in 2009 as captain; horrendous; cant remember the amount of matches Ireland lost in 2009 while he was captain....oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Much to Hook's dismay.

.ak wrote: »
    Much to Hook's dismay.

everything is to Hooks dismay

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Thankfully someone had a word in his ear somewhere along the line and set him straight

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    The point I'm making is Cooper also plays the ball very flat against the line, which is very open to intercept tries. However, you don't see Deans dropping Cooper for it. Why? Because whilst Cooper could be defensively unsound he also adds heaps to the tempo and intensity of the attack. I'm sorry I didn't pick a SH comparison, but you get the idea, and the point still stands.

JRant said it perfectly: You have to break some eggs to make an omlette.

The two most impressive all round performances from Ireland since DK took over has been with Sexton and Murray partnership. It's a fact that no one can deny, no matter how much you want to look elsewhere. The question is, why won't Kidney play a tried and tested world class pairing?

I was making the point was to why reddan's lack of physicality is an issue. He gets turned over very easily and I can't see ferris carrying murray or Phillips like the way he carted Genia in that clip.

fairplay, you've seen the light - and they have only played 3 games together - thats 2/3. How many times have sexton& reddan started together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

jm08 wrote: »
    I was making the point was to why reddan's lack of physicality is an issue. He gets turned over very easily and I can't see ferris carrying murray or Phillips like the way he carted Genia in that clip.

fairplay, you've seen the light - and they have only played 3 games together - thats 2/3. How many times have sexton& reddan started together :D

Hahah, meant Reddan obviously. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

When exactly has this been the case? Showing a video of a different scrumhalf being turned over isn't a justification for not picking someone!

When exactly has this been the case? Showing a video of a different scrumhalf being turned over isn't a justification for not picking someone!

I as just about to ask what Genia has to do with any of this; Australia's scrum got pulverised in that game; not much a bigger SH would have doen for them there; Genia is probably the best SH in the world and even he couldnt get away from out our backrow.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Well I'm talking about the the AIs in 2010.

Yes that's how recently Kidney was ignoring SOB.

He benched in the AIs in '09 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I as just about to ask what Genia has to do with any of this; Australia's scrum got pulverised in that game; not much a bigger SH would have doen for them there; Genia is probably the best SH in the world and even he couldnt get away from out our backrow.

Yep, you've got it.

1. The Aus win was mainly down to the Irish pack.

2. I was replying to the question as to why coaches now seem to have a preference for big, strong scrumhalfs over little ones who get turned over easily.

Yep, you've got it.

1. The Aus win was mainly down to the Irish pack.

2. I was replying to the question as to why coaches now seem to have a preference for big, strong scrumhalfs over little ones who get turned over easily.

Any scrum half big or small will be turned over if their pack is being mauled; stop going there; its a failed reasoning
    Aus Nz SA all ahve small quick SHs as they trust their pack to do the damage and want the ball out fast. Our "conservative" coach would rather have a big SH when its not necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well I'm talking about the the AIs in 2010.

Yes that's how recently Kidney was ignoring SOB.

Because of injury. You've consistently made terrible excuses for Kidneys bias thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The point is Kidney still ignored him for the big AIs in 2010, picking Leamy on the bench ahead of him despite SOB being in the middle of the season where he was named European player of the year. On the other hand Murray and POM are dropped straight in with barely any experience. You and the other Kidney sympathisers have not been able to give one concrete reason or straight answer as why these two are getting special treatment. I think you've been watching too many Kidney interviews.

I'm re-employing my selective reading rule.

Anyone who quotes anyone I have on ignore is going on my ignore list for the remainder of the 6N.

Choose your opposition debaters carefully!

As always, note Phatphiggins' words of wisdom in my sig.

I don't collect clips of reddan getting turned over.:D

From memory, in the Magners final, POC just reached over a ruck and took the ball off him. The following game against Munster, schmidt started Boss.

I don't collect clips of reddan getting turned over.:D

From memory, in the Magners final, POC just reached over a ruck and took the ball off him. The following game against Munster, schmidt started Boss.

Yes an away game; he always starts Boss in the away games; You really have no idea at all do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Anyone who quotes anyone I have on ignore is going on my ignore list for the remainder of the 6N.

So now you're ignoring the fools who don't ignore other fools. :pac:

please dont ignore me; please... (joke)

The point is Kidney still ignored him for the big AIs in 2010, picking Leamy on the bench ahead of him despite SOB being in the middle of the season where he was named European player of the year. On the other hand Murray and POM are dropped straight in with barely any experience. You and the other Kidney sympathisers have not been able to give one concrete reason or straight answer as why these two are getting special treatment. I think you've been watching too many Kidney interviews.

but up Dec 10, sob had played about 2 games in the Magners at 8. heislip got injured, which is when sob started playing at 8 for Leinster on a regular basis and the following 6Ns in '11, SOB started at 8 for Ireland against italy and got motm.

and kidney isnt the one who needs sympathy :) there are some seriously angry dudes about here who need help.

• Advertisement

I like how Hayes over Ross has been conveniently glossed over as well.

Bottom line is Kidney's selection policy is extremely biased toward 1/4 teams in this country. I used to dismiss this conspiracy saying Kidney was only favouring players he knows rather than lads from Munster. Now that he is favouring "lads" he hasn't worked with at all in the past over superior "non-lads" that he has, its impossible to ignore.

It's as plain as the grin on Deccies face that Ireland are better with Reddan on the pitch, and will be again this weekend. I'm just looking forward to the day we have a coach who doesn't make blindingly obvious selection mistakes that are eventually proven incorrect when injury prevents him from continuing with them.

and kidney isnt the one who needs sympathy[/B

He needs to go find a new job because hes rubbish at this one

emmet02 wrote: »

Unfortunately I do not know how to use the ignore function on my phone!

[QUOTE=irishbucsfan;77366473]I like how Hayes over Ross has been conveniently glossed over as well.
    [/QUOTE]

But but he benched O Brien in 09 :pac:

Yes an away game; he always starts Boss in the away games; You really have no idea at all do you?

nope. in the aviva (or is that regarded as an away game now?)

edit: in case of any doubt (ie, you try and move the goal posts again) this is the match i'm referring to.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/8792.php

Yes Boss started and Reddan was benched; their is absolutely nothing in that at all; Boss added a bit more physicality thats all;Murray could learn a few things from him actually as imo hes a far better "physical" SH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

fitz wrote: »
    The real question is why are they progressing quicker? It doesn't seem to be based on form/experience or any of the other criteria players from other provinces are measured against. I'm not being bitter, I just don't get it. POM ahead of Henry is the best example. It's ridiculous.

Tbqh POM ahead of Henry is not ridicolous. The form of both players has been excellent in the HC, POM has probably been Munster's best player behind POC and they did win 6 games.

Murray ahead of Reddan, and DOC ahead of Ryan/Tuohy (who although they aren't young, they are younger) are much more ridicolous. I would say POM is deserving of being 4th choice back row.

And people calling for Conway, that doesn't make much sense tbh. Has he even played in the HC this season? I know he's been injured but he's not first choice for Leinster, and I don't think he's that close tbh. Murray may not have played HC but that was because they had been knocked out and he was in-form and first-choice for Munster. Atm, I think TOH, Gilroy and Zebo would be ahead of Conway simply because they have been first-choice recently. Probably Kearney too because he impressed for the Wolfhounds. Conway has lots of talent and will probably jump up the rankings next season when he comes back to full fitness.
    And an injury to Niall Ronan plus disintegration of form of TOL

images.jpg

POM was never behind Ronan. If anything, the injury to Ronan gave Kidney a reason to pick DOC as he became first choice in the 2nd row again when Ryan moved to back row.

your having a laugh - glossed over :D

What year was this that Boss started a home game against Munster in the aviva?
    First ever game in the aviva.

Reddan does not play all home games. Boss does not play all away games.

• Advertisement

your having a laugh - glossed over :D
    Well I didn't include your factually incorrect attempt at revisionist history. For obvious reasons.

Advertisement