Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sites Using Pyro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Borderlands

c-90 wrote: »

just because i have a difference in opinion

Sorry mate, but you cant really have a difference of opinion when it comes to the law. As much as you may not like the law, or as much as the law may not make sense to you, it is the law. There are more constructive ways to changing the law if you don't like it, other than blatant disobedience.

As a site who is on the last hurdle of securing our pyrotechnic license I felt I should share my input.

We have been going through the motions of securing our license since last June. It has been the most stressful process we have had since we started and its still not completely over yet. The amount of criteria, for storage, import, usage; the recommended site safety procedures and equipment; the sites security issues; forms, documents and other relevant stamps and approvals from emergency services not to mention the red tape could leave some lost in a sea of imaginary booms, flashes and smokey haze.

Having played legally with pyro in the North and in the UK on plenty of occasions before, where you can literally throw them into small rooms full of players* and not be worried as to the players safety inside; this can seem to some as if we have been handed a bit of a harsh sentence here. They are reasonably safe devices and very little serious injury's tend to occur, even though I have witnessed some minor incidents over the years. However the laws in this country (probably something to do with our history of anything that can go boom, bang, spark; or that can even be manipulated to do so) are what they are.

As a site operator I can't imagine putting my site at risk of closure and/or prosecution for using pyro without the legal requirements. I cant tell you how happy I would be to display the final paperwork to anybody interested considering the effort spent on obtaining it. I imagine anybody who has gone through the hoops would happily do the same.

I'm not trying to vilianize any other course of action here, I'm just letting you know where I stand personally.

Anyways, I hope anybody who does ANYTHING related to the sport of airsoft does so with respect and consideration for the sport. Any sort of prosecution, public accusation, AEG seizures etc. no matter how innocent they may turn out to be, are in no way helping airsoft progress, grow and mature as a reputable sport in this country.

Just in addition, I believe the site in question may just have overlooked some aspects of using pyro, which in a sense, can easily happen. All i'll say is do the homework, act responsibly, and go for it if you want it. The more legal and responsible use of pyro we get here may just get us even a few baby steps closer to having a similar set up to the UK... in about 20 years or so... ;)

Time for bed...

*minus smoke though, in the games I have been to at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Sorry mate, but you cant really have a difference of opinion when it comes to the law. As much as you may not like the law, or as much as the law may not make sense to you, it is the law. There are more constructive ways to changing the law if you don't like it, other than blatant disobedience.

my difference in opinion is with the actual use of smoke not the legallities of using it. i respect the law 100% and have made no indication otherwise and it makes perfect sense to me and i certanly do not regard the law with "blatant disobedience". where are you getting this from.

i did not defend the site in question, ive even said in my own opinion it looks like they are breaking the law. ive even said they have a moral obligation to show paperwork that they are above board. my beef here was posters thinking the site had to come on here and prove itself innocent before they even contacted the site to see if it was above board. not with the law.

how would you like if i came onto boards.ie and said your site was breaking the law but i had never played there and was just assuming. it could potentially ruin your site and tbh youd be pretty ****ing pissed no?

i still have this opinion and if people have concerns about a site they should go directly to the site and ask them, if they still have concerns contact the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Jimkil

Let it be known this is a rant:
    When are we going to get to play Hard-Core airsoft in this country. I for one try to work hard at the skills of airsoft, expect for pyros of course, sure after all, people keep telling me it a sport.
    Can you believe it that some sites don’t allow Thunder B’s. God help us when we send a team to the Airsoft world championship if one exist. Those countries who train like professionals will kick out butts with their ability to pyro a building full of lads, set bubby traps, use distraction devices and lay cover using smoke. When they train they do it right, you don’t hear, don’t touch me with that plastic knife or, you will hurt my eardrum if that Thunder B goes off in a Porto cabin.
    I would like applaud Borderlands for making the effort to get us the punter some were interesting to go and play. Its time to stop the bickering and start coming up with some useful solutions to the problem. Airsoft is now an industry and has a contribution to the local community and tax base. So if we start from here surely there is a workable solution be to found which will allow sites the use of pyros and rubber knives. I admit the knife issues is gong to be the harder nut to crack.
    Mann the F**k Up and fight for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Borderlands

c-90 wrote: »
    my difference in opinion is with the actual use of smoke not the legallities of using it.

I apologise c-90! I was confusing you with another poster there and really should have read back through the thread before posting that 'out of context' quote. Sorry again man.

Sites and players have blatantly disobeyed the law in many past cases since I started playing airsoft. Luckily though that trend seems to be fading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Jimkil wrote: »
    Let it be known this is a rant:
    When are we going to get to play Hard-Core airsoft in this country. I for one try to work hard at the skills of airsoft, expect for pyros of course, sure after all, people keep telling me it a sport.
    Can you believe it that some sites don’t allow Thunder B’s. God help us when we send a team to the Airsoft world championship if one exist. Those countries who train like professionals will kick out butts with their ability to pyro a building full of lads, set bubby traps, use distraction devices and lay cover using smoke. When they train they do it right, you don’t hear, don’t touch me with that plastic knife or, you will hurt my eardrum if that Thunder B goes off in a Porto cabin.
    I would like applaud Borderlands for making the effort to get us the punter some were interesting to go and play. Its time to stop the bickering and start coming up with some useful solutions to the problem. Airsoft is now an industry and has a contribution to the local community and tax base. So if we start from here surely there is a workable solution be to found which will allow sites the use of pyros and rubber knives. I admit the knife issues is gong to be the harder nut to crack.
    Mann the F**k Up and fight for the sport.

What do you regard as "Hard Core Airsoft".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dogwatch wrote: »
    What do you regard as "Hard Core Airsoft".

If I run out of BB's I'll cut my dick off and tap your shoulder to get the knife kill....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

TheDoc wrote: »
    If I run out of BB's I'll cut my dick off and tap your shoulder to get the knife kill....

And this is relevant how exactly?

Off topicness outside of off topic madness warning issued.

andy_g wrote: »
    And this is relevant how exactly?

Off topicness outside of off topic madness warning issued.

Its relevant because of the coin phrased "hardcore"....

Chill out bro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Its relevant because of the coin phrased "hardcore"....

Chill out bro

Im most perfectly relaxed. anyway pyro good once paperwork and everything is all above board.

I was hoping for an adult response from Jimkil not childish rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Again like pyro -
    Training in military / paramilitary tactics by non professionals (ie not PDF/ RDF) is considered worse than pyro to some parts of the general public and also illegal .

With airsoft you play how you choose most say its a hobby some say its a sport .
    You can call your self hardcore / professional like opinion that you choice to act when you play but nobody is wrong if they choose to play the way they feel comfortable playing .
    Like opinions we all have only have one .
    Nobody is either correct or incorrect in how they play and act on a field .

I speak for me and me only .you and everybody can act like real soldiers at a skirmish have rank and proper use of comms,military tactics ,real ambushes and so on .but you can't expect everybody to play as you choose to play dosent make them lesser people or infieror .and probably a total separate bs thread needed on the discussion its self

Of course there is a wrong way to play airsoft.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Your point being?

Steve wrote: »
    Your point being?

That saying
    but nobody is wrong if they choose to play the way they feel comfortable playing .

is majorly flawed...

I figured the point was pretty obvious....

I dont understand what you mean. How is there a wrong way to play Airsoft?

1) Cheating
    2) Aggresive
    3) Milsim game, "doing your own trick" and not engaging in the command structure
    4) Signing up for a milsim game and having issues taking orders
    5) Go to a milsim game with a group of players and completely do your own thing outside of the command structure.

To name but a few

3-5 are just as bad and day ruining as 1-2. And they happen regularly.

And they can easily be interpreted as " O well I'm playing the way I feel comfortable " .

1) Cheating
    2) Aggresive
    3) Milsim game, "doing your own trick" and not engaging in the command structure
    4) Signing up for a milsim game and having issues taking orders
    5) Go to a milsim game with a group of players and completely do your own thing outside of the command structure.

To name but a few

3-5 are just as bad and day ruining as 1-2. And they happen regularly.

And they can easily be interpreted as " O well I'm playing the way I feel comfortable " .

I agree with those points. 1 and 2 are difficult to deal with and is down to the individual player and how he conducts himself generally.I dont think this behaviour will be specific to airsoft.

3, 4, and 5 can and should be dealt with through education with senior , more expericence players taking a lead in running and explaining how it works. Sadly these more experienced players tend to just bawl out other players, ignore them and play their own game and bitch about how the others spoiled the day.

Airsoft, in its many forms, should be accessible to all players and game organisers and marshalls should make it their business to inform and educate all the participants as to what is expected, including the command structure and format of the game.

Blaming inexperienced or ill informed players is just passing the buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

I've often been to a Milsim where even though the snotty brat was tolled there was an exact structure to the game they still pissed off and did the lone wolf and was left sitting in a ditch crying for the medic that was never going to come

Now I also prefer the lone wolf style of play but I ask before hand I don't just tell the section I've been assigned to best of luck and run off

Before I get an earful I prefer this play style because I can move quicker and act quicker without having to worry about letting others know where Iam going or leaving someone's flank exposed

Iam an impulsive person and will act on opertunities as they present them selfs also during games where there's a take and hold objective it's always handy to have someone behind the lines harassing the enemy drawing their attention away

Also why does this thread have 12 pages??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

3, 4, and 5 can and should be dealt with through education with senior , more expericence players taking a lead in running and explaining how it works. Sadly these more experienced players tend to just bawl out other players, ignore them and play their own game and bitch about how the others spoiled the day.

In my experience informing less experienced players only works when they want to be informed. Quite often (say about half the time) they don't want to hear and just want to do their own thing, or they totally fail to understand the need for some sort of structure (chain of command for want of a better term) in these more mil-sim type games.

If I am picked as a unit leader then I will try to organise things. But I have inexperienced players, who nobody put in a leadership position, trying to give "orders" and getting totally ignored (quite rightly).

The problem usually boils down to people not understanding what the more involved games involve. These are not run and gun skirmishes. Expect to spend time doing nothing, expect to take orders and expect to follow a tighter set of rules. If you can't do that, then these are not the games for you.

• Advertisement

sliabh wrote: »

In my experience informing less experienced players only works when they want to be informed. Quite often (say about half the time) they don't want to hear and just want to do their own thing, or they totally fail to understand the need for some sort of structure (chain of command for want of a better term) in these more mil-sim type games.

If I am picked as a unit leader then I will try to organise things. But I have inexperienced players, who nobody put in a leadership position, trying to give "orders" and getting totally ignored (quite rightly).

The problem usually boils down to people not understanding what the more involved games involve. These are not run and gun skirmishes. Expect to spend time doing nothing, expect to take orders and expect to follow a tighter set of rules. If you can't do that, then these are not the games for you.

I have often found games to be just like R.D.F - hurry up and wait :D

I always refuse the leadership role as I know Iam not capable and would rightly muc it up but that being said 9/10 time you will end up with a hot head who will absolutely believe they are sh*t hot and to me are the most annoying thing in a Milsim and often leads to everybody just turning off radios and dissolving the game into the average skirmish :/

sliabh wrote: »

Jsmurff wrote: »

I always refuse the leadership role as I know Iam not capable and would rightly muc it up but that being said 9/10 time you will end up with a hot head who will absolutely believe they are sh*t hot and to me are the most annoying thing in a Milsim and often leads to everybody just turning off radios and dissolving the game into the average skirmish :/
    @ Sliabh If some players do not understand what is going on, then either the briefing is lacking or the other players are not helping enough.
    This takes a bit of effort, sometimes giving up a bit of playing time to help them understand.

@Jsmurff Why do you refuse the leadership role??? How do you know you are not capable of doing it. Often it is the younger more experienced players who can motivate the loners. You let the hot head assume leadership and then go about sabotaging his efforts instead of stepping up and trying to assist.

Too many players take the individual route and do their own thing instead of playing for team and guiding the other members of the team to focus and achieve the objectives. It is not just up to the team leader to make it work.

Mil-sim is a different environment than weekend skirmish. It requires more effort to make it work but, sadly, not everyone is prepared to put the effort in to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

@ Sliabh If some players do not understand what is going on, then either the briefing is lacking or the other players are not helping enough. This takes a bit of effort, sometimes giving up a bit of playing time to help them understand.
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. And sometimes you just can't get people on board, because this is not the type of game they are looking for. No amount of hand holding will change the minds/behaviour of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

in the majority of milsim games ive been too theres usually a very clear divide between those who want to lone wolf it and those who want to play actual milsim from the begining. then the players who actually want to play milsim form a structure while those who dont run around and make more cannon fodder for everyone.... or take the objective rambo style and make your structure look like poo.

being in a leadership role in airsoft can be a pain is the ass because you feel like a right pratt for trying to give orders. afterall those players spent 20-25 quid to have fun not to be told what to do by a stranger, even if it is milsim not everyone plans on being a security group or missing out on the attack. so if someone wants to run and gun it let them.

(unless of course the site has issued a command structure which must be followed).

@ Sliabh If some players do not understand what is going on, then either the briefing is lacking or the other players are not helping enough.
    This takes a bit of effort, sometimes giving up a bit of playing time to help them understand.

@Jsmurff Why do you refuse the leadership role??? How do you know you are not capable of doing it. Often it is the younger more experienced players who can motivate the loners. You let the hot head assume leadership and then go about sabotaging his efforts instead of stepping up and trying to assist.

Too many players take the individual route and do their own thing instead of playing for team and guiding the other members of the team to focus and achieve the objectives. It is not just up to the team leader to make it work.

Mil-sim is a different environment than weekend skirmish. It requires more effort to make it work but, sadly, not everyone is prepared to put the effort in to achieve it.

I see where your comming from but I just don't want to have the responsibility or the hassle of trying to organise the entire team partly because Iam lazy :)

But I am pretty much a loner in all walks of life it's what I've become accustomed to and I just feel comfortable in that role

The main reason why I like mil-sim is because of the ammo restriction nothing worse then facing 20 odd guns that can be physically used to write ones ne in mid air

@c-90 there's being a prat and being a lone wolf. If your attracting tones of fire then that's just running around like a muppet

My understanding of a lone wolf is one of a reconasense role moving undercover and observing and then mixing in gorilla tactics to harass the opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

@c-90 there's being a prat and being a lone wolf. If your attracting tones of fire then that's just running around like a muppet

My understanding of a lone wolf is one of a reconasense role moving undercover and observing and then mixing in gorilla tactics to harass the opposition

Acting as a scout implies working for the larger group; which is not what the 'Lone Wolf' behavioural trait actually is.

Being lazy, I've lifted the below quote from the Wikipedia page on the Lone Wolf trait;
    When applied to military or security groups, it refers to someone who frequently acts on their own accord, insists on working alone, refuses to work with most of if not all members of the group and/or goes against the plans of missions/operations and attempts to complete said task alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Jimkil

Went to Rammstein @ the O2 last night. I have never seen so many pyros at an indoor event.
    Not even at Sennybridge. So if these guys can find ways to throw fire firecrackers, and use flamethrowers and smoke safely in an arena packed with 20k worth of people why can’t we get the use of the sparklers that can be bought in More Street.
    Someone figure out the answer and come back to me with a solution to this problem.

Went to Rammstein @ the O2 last night. I have never seen so many pyros at an indoor event.
    Not even at Sennybridge. So if these guys can find ways to throw fire firecrackers, and use flamethrowers and smoke safely in an arena packed with 20k worth of people why can’t we get the use of the sparklers that can be bought in More Street.
    Someone figure out the answer and come back to me with a solution to this problem.

I can tell you the reason why they were allowed....do I really need to ? I'm assuming you were using it to make a point

Please tell me you know why a stage show can use pyrotechnics....please ****ing god...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Apart from the fact that Til Lindemann is a fully trained and qualified pyrotechnician. It's an event, therefore it has different laws regarding the use of pyro. AFAIK, to use pyro at an event you have to apply for permission and you can only use qualified pyrotechnicians. It's a completely different, use. They're stage effects, visual display pieces. Pyros in airsoft are being fúcked around the place.

Advertisement