Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sites Using Pyro

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

andy_g wrote: »
    Nope your posts werent offending posts on page 8 :)

Ahh come on, that was only one post. I guess no point in arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Tommyboy71 wrote: »
    I can keep going at this all week. I am a Dublin Fire Service trained Emergency Response Team Member. I know a little bit about smoke in confined spaces :)

I also volunteer with one of the wonderful Volunteer Emergency services in the country. So I have other training as well.

Arent you just fantastic. golden star for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

c-90 wrote: »

you really are persistent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭goblin59

show a bit of respect will you, towards those in the services & to fellow board members.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

goblin59 wrote: »
    show a bit of respect will you, towards those in the services & to fellow board members.

what am i not showing respect for?

i never asked him what he did in his spare time. i dont know or care who he is and for your information i do show my respect for those in the services.

just because i have a difference in opinion with those regulars of boards.ie doesnt mean im disrespectful.

this used to be the hub of airsoft in ireland, this particular board pretty much started airsoft here and now theres not even half the people posting as there used to be. maybe this shoot everything down or anyone with a difference of opinion thing isnt working so well.

• Advertisement

i never asked him what he did in his spare time. i dont know or care who he is and for your information i do show my respect for those in the services.

just because i have a difference in opinion with those regulars of boards.ie doesnt mean im disrespectful.

this used to be the hub of airsoft in ireland, this particular board pretty much started airsoft here and now theres not even half the people posting as there used to be. maybe this shoot everything down or anyone with a difference of opinion thing isnt working so well.
    I agree with you on "This isn't what it used to be". I mainly just use it for selling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well thats a bit of disrespect. A guy trained in emergency care informing you on the dangers of heavy smoke use indoors.

Incorrect. no one has issue with people having differences of opinion. There is issues with how people portray that difference of opinion.
    maybe this shoot everything down or anyone with a difference of opinion thing isnt working so well.

Again incorrect, we only shoot down those whose opinions are bollox.

I hate how people post absolute rubbish, and retarded opinions and when people point out how they are invalid, incorrect or even different, the assumption is that its the " old guard having a pop at the new"

And I think you've answered your own question in relation to why this place is no longer the central hub for airsoft in Ireland, cause of the stupid posts and people who assume cause they are "entitled" to an opinion, they should give it on everything.

This, in my experience, is just general across boards.ie, not the sites fault, just that Irish people are ****ing morons...

And C90 furthermore, and to everyone.

I've had a review of this thread and seen some smarmy comments directed back towards Puding and Tommyboy.

The reason Drynd why
    I agree with you on "This isn't what it used to be".
    is because those of us with knowledge, experience, advice etc. just couldn't be arsed getting queried, questioned and dragged into the mud by absolute nobodies with **** all gaming experience.

And for the first time ever I'll admit the above is elitism. But **** that, I've earned it. I'll never turn away someone asking for help, or I'll never make a fool of someone asking.

What I really won't dig is me posting a valid, reasonable arguement/advice based on experience and knowledge of the game, to be raged at by someone who has **** all gaming experience and last week found out how his willy works.

I've no issue swith new players, no issues with those asking for help/advice/guidance.

Big problem with people giving grief to those who have earned the right for a few minutes pause after every post to reflect on the awesome it contains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Less of the confrontational posts please as this can fall under the boards rules of "Being a dick"

Keep on topic respect other user's/players, and learn when to be wrong or correct on certain topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Without dogging on about this, the only reason I posted my experience and training was because too often people have given an informed view on a topic only to be questioned at length about whether they were qualified to give an opinion or not.

Thanks for the gold star. I will put it with my cert.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

The way I see it is Pyro goes boom, and airsoft in Ireland is largely male-dominated...males tend to gravitate toward things that go boom...especially when running around playing soldier. Even though perfectly legal 'booms' exist, we want bigger and better booms...and smoke, lets not forget smoke...cause it is exceptionally cool.

Here's the problem though...it is illegal for the most part, along with 500fps bolt action rifles, and many other cool things. Sites can choose to go through lengthy amounts of paperwork to facilitate the use of Pyro, however, and here is the big question:

How much does Pyro actually add to the game, that cannot be achieved using alternatives, such as the Tornado or Thunder B grenades, or the smoke machine employed in Red Barn? There are other methods available for similar gains...so when you look at the gain, over the hoops you have to jump through (the process of calling marshal over, buying pyro etc)...it really doesn't look worth it.

Personally speaking, I would love to see a change in law to allow the use of smoke grenades and flares on sites, but we know that just isn't going to happen...I just feel it would add a deeper dynamic to the game, as well as allowing for slightly more involving and organic game dynamics (with smoke for example; secure LZ, signal smoke for landing and hold off attacking OP-For...but you've also got to compete with the visual obstruction of the smoke. Something slight, but nice).

As for its use indoors, I don't know. I can see C-90's perspective...but I would have to agree with Tommyboy - there would be a LOT of screening required in order to keep it safe, as in proper medicals...not taking regular peoples word for it. I am not opposed to the action of smoke grenades indoors, but certainly am to its application (much like the old discussion on rubber knives - not for a Sunday Skirmish, but with right groups of people i.e. fit, healthy and signed off on by doctor :D it could be both fun and interesting)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Evade

Inari wrote: »
    How much does Pyro actually add to the game, that cannot be achieved using alternatives, such as the Tornado or Thunder B grenades, or the smoke machine employed in Red Barn?
    Taking the above on it's own pyro has (in my limited experience) a few advantages over other alternatives, mainly reliability and disposability.
    Inari wrote: »
    There are other methods available for similar gains...so when you look at the gain, over the hoops you have to jump through (the process of calling marshal over, buying pyro etc)...it really doesn't look worth it.
    But add this and they're just not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Gaz2010

I just skimmed through the thread to see what the 9 pages was all about.........not much!

Personally i fail to see the big deal and saying that lads using pyro will get airsoft banned is like saying drink drivers will get cars banned. Nobody gives a flying f**k when there is rockets flying about on halloween so why care if places allow smoke?? Jesus even sparklers are classed as pyro.

Yes its illegal but so is pi**ing on the side of the road. People have little to be worrying about and if you actually think the bent arm of the law give a rats about lads playing dress up throwing smoke at each other i feel your very, very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Gaz2010 wrote: »
    if you actually think the bent arm of the law give a rats about lads playing dress up throwing smoke at each other i feel your very, very wrong.
    Except we run around with "realistic imitation firearms", not day-glo nerf guns. So the powers that be do pay more than a passing interest in whether we manage our sport responsibility, or whether we pick and choose what laws we will follow.

You should educate yourself a bit on the recent history of airsoft in Ireland and see how close it has come to being banned in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Wow , what different opinions on a simple topic that is clear cut.
    Airsoft exists with-in limitations , both legal and site imposed.
    How can someone choose which rules that it is OK to break ?
    There has been a lot of complaints about non-hit takers , but they are only breaking a RULE , not the law , so what is the big deal ? (sarcasm)
    How would people feel if they were being shot by a 500fps AEG on full auto , whats the big deal , that's only breaking the law.(sarcasm)
    If a site does NOT have the proper permission to import , store and use Pyro , then it is very simple , they should not have it.
    How can anyone have a different opinion than that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I just skimmed through the thread to see what the 9 pages was all about.........not much!

Indeed. This thread should not have gotten past page one.
    Personally i fail to see the big deal and saying that lads using pyro will get airsoft banned is like saying drink drivers will get cars banned. Nobody gives a flying f**k when there is rockets flying about on halloween so why care if places allow smoke?? Jesus even sparklers are classed as pyro.

Yes its illegal but so is pi**ing on the side of the road. People have little to be worrying about and if you actually think the bent arm of the law give a rats about lads playing dress up throwing smoke at each other i feel your very, very wrong.

What sliabh said below:
    sliabh wrote: »
    Except we run around with "realistic imitation firearms", not day-glo nerf guns. So the powers that be do pay more than a passing interest in whether we manage our sport responsibility, or whether we pick and choose what laws we will follow.

Irish society has a serious hang-up about "de gunhs" that goes beyond the paranoid and into the realm of the hysterical. This is borne out by the historical and constant assault on real-steel holders who are viewed as a constant and 'easy' target by politicians looking to make a name for themselves by appearing "tough on gun crime" only the people they actually punish are legitimate owners whilst actually doing nothing to tackle crime.

Now, that's a community - however small - that has significant ability to call up paid legal counsel, and is highly organised and represented. And they still get repeatedly targetted.

So just imagine the even smaller, and far less organised and politically/legally represented community that is Irish airsoft handing any sensationalist headline-grabbing sh*te to allow politicians think they have a soft-touch target for their own capital. If you have to fight such a battle, you're already on an uphill struggle never mind gaining any notions of proverbial foothold.

It's like turkeys voting for Christmas. It's utterly illogical & completely self-defeating in the long run. Try looking beyond next weekend's skirmish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There are no words....

sliabh wrote: »

You should educate yourself a bit on the recent history of airsoft in Ireland and see how close it has come to being banned in the last few years.

So our toys look real and throw in the word firearm just to amp it up a bit but that has no bearing on the fact that they are still toys does it. Everytime some moaning oulwan is in the papers airsoft is apparently going bye bye. Has it not happened enough that you can see it for what it is, bull****. Yeah. How many times? Not counting all the scare mongoring tripe you read on here. Sure personal imports are for the chop too.........oh wait. It still does not change the fact that use of pyro and airsoft are not the same they. The fact that they are being used in conjuntion with each other is irrelevant

Blay wrote: »
    There are no words....

You know what to do then

You know what to do then

Yes..continue to shake my head in disbelief at the ignorance displayed in that post.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Yes..continue to shake my head in disbelief at the ignorance displayed in that post.

Shock horror. I don't agree therefore i'm ignorant. Show me the error of my ways and put me on the path of the self appointed god of all things righteous.

Shock horror. I don't agree therefore i'm ignorant. Show me the error of my ways and put me on the path of the self appointed god of all things righteous.

It's not that you have a dissenting opinion, more that as a counter argument it is flawed beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

So our toys look real and throw in the word firearm just to amp it up a bit but that has no bearing on the fact that they are still toys does it.
    Well actually section 40 of of the the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009, updated the Firearms and Offensive Weapons act of 1990 with a formal definition of "Realistic Imitation Firearms" so it's not me that's just throwing in the word there. This is the view of the Department of Justice. They see airsoft guns as something more than toys. Certainly as I read through the relevant sections on RIF devices, sites, and retailers, there are plenty of mentions of "shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine of up to €5,000 or up to 12 months imprisonment" which isn't the case for anything Smyths Toys are stocking.
    Everytime some moaning oulwan is in the papers airsoft is apparently going bye bye. Has it not happened enough that you can see it for what it is, bull****. Yeah. How many times? Not counting all the scare mongoring tripe you read on here.
    What a wonderful line of reasoning - it hasn't happened so far, so it's not going to happen. Let me find you a Head Shop proprietor who can tell you about a legal industry being banned overnight for no reason other than some public outrage, and a load of publicity seeking politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Also Gaz2010.

Less of the snarky comments directed at users anymore of this will lead to infractions or bans.

As I posted on my Twitter earlier

This forum has died a horrid, slow, painful death....

**** airsoft...

TheDoc wrote: »
    And C90 furthermore, and to everyone.

I've had a review of this thread and seen some smarmy comments directed back towards Puding and Tommyboy.

The reason Drynd why is because those of us with knowledge, experience, advice etc. just couldn't be arsed getting queried, questioned and dragged into the mud by absolute nobodies with **** all gaming experience.

And for the first time ever I'll admit the above is elitism. But **** that, I've earned it. I'll never turn away someone asking for help, or I'll never make a fool of someone asking.

What I really won't dig is me posting a valid, reasonable arguement/advice based on experience and knowledge of the game, to be raged at by someone who has **** all gaming experience and last week found out how his willy works.

I've no issue swith new players, no issues with those asking for help/advice/guidance.

Big problem with people giving grief to those who have earned the right for a few minutes pause after every post to reflect on the awesome it contains.
    Theres no need to get emotional :pac:

I just said I don't think the forum was as good as it was a few years ago, I never said anything for or against your opinions.

Also, when did ye have a big discussion on rubber knives? Doesn't seem necessary at all, what are you going to do , slap each other with them? Seems kinda to this thread.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

TheDoc wrote: »
    As I posted on my Twitter earlier

This forum has died a horrid, slow, painful death....

**** airsoft...
    Hmmm, every time things don't go your way here, you play that card and say "The forum is dead, I'm never posting here evar again"

Yet, here you are, still here , yet again. :)

See you next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

. People have little to be worrying about and if you actually think the bent arm of the law give a rats about lads playing dress up throwing smoke at each other i feel your very, very wrong.

i believe fingal got a visit by the boys in blue over the silly season and had to temporarly close until the paper work was in order. so the Gardai do give a rats about what goes on. HRTA have also had a problem over the last few month and have closed completly. not sure the reason for this one, but it does show that the powers that be do take an interest in "a few lads playing dress up"

Steve wrote: »
    Hmmm, every time things don't go your way here, you play that card and say "The forum is dead, I'm never posting here evar again"

Yet, here you are, still here , yet again. :)

See you next time...

I've reduced my activity significantly around here. And work still gets boring, and I'll always need internet training.

To improves ones skill in trolling,flamewars and out downs, this is the place to be ;)

Plus I've been around other forums here long before airsoft came along, so I can't resist reading tripe while I'm here ;)

• Advertisement

Theres no need to get emotional :pac:

I just said I don't think the forum was as good as it was a few years ago, I never said anything for or against your opinions.

Also, when did ye have a big discussion on rubber knives? Doesn't seem necessary at all, what are you going to do , slap each other with them? Seems kinda to this thread.....

My post wasnt directed at you, it was a general response to the " This place no good" "Where are the pros" and I'm just telling how it is.

I tink pyro has a slightly more practical use generally in airsoft then rubber knives. Thats until I'm allowed throw rubber knives, actually use them without someone crying and get one of those things that fires small knives.

I genuinely dont think there is anything more embarrasing then knife killing someone, even moreso if you could hit them with a throwing knife.

And I'm all about showing people their ****

Advertisement