Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Ah yes. IGN:

AlvBF3dCQAEaI3S.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

DinoRex wrote: »
    Ah yes. IGN:

AlvBF3dCQAEaI3S.jpg

That baby game can't be a real thing!

It's the real deal!

http://ie.wii.ign.com/articles/936/936573p1.html

You possibly get your name put on some sort of list if you purchase it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ooooo. That Street Fighter 2 V series is on the US Netflix. never got to watch it before and couldnt find an active Dl for it

1SwsE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well here's a really interesting interview with Ken A Lobb. He was responsible for many of the NES's best and defining games and worked with Namco during the 16-bit era. He eventually moved to Rare and worked on the absolute classic Blast Corp and the aged (had to get it in there) but no less classic Goldeneye and even gave his name to one of the weapons, the Klobb. It seems he was responsible for most of Goldeneyes creative and innovative features:

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2012/02/interview-with-ken-lobb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Would anyone have either a scanned copy or a pdf of retrogamer 99

Been searching through a fair few magazine shops and havent found it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sparks43 wrote: »

It's in easons on O'Connell st. I don't have a scanned copy, just the iPad version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I was flicking through a copy of Retro Gamer in the last few weeks and remember seeing an article on the making of Alundra, if any body read it, was it any use? Might buy a copy online if it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was in issue 98. Was a good read but short and not sure it was worth the price of the magazine if that's all you were interested in.

• Advertisement

Just back from that PS Vita test.

I think the one I was using was a bit of a dud:

Q3inT.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Must admit I wasn't blown away by the PS Vita. It's a very pretty piece of hardware, and feels nice and light yet sturdy too. But it really doesn't feel like a giant leap for handheld gaming. Compare the PSP to Vita to the DS to 3DS hardware jump and the latter emerges as the clear winner as a more significant upgrade. The screen on the PSV is very nice, no doubt, but almost felt perfunctory.

I think it was probably down to the games, in fairness. Uncharted felt like a low-grade version of its' bigger brothers. Little Deviants I lasted about two minutes before having to turn it off in frustration at the rear touchpad controls. Escape Plan looked nice but felt like a slightly poorer version of Machinarium. Gravity Crash has a lot of potential - it at least has novel central mechanics, an offbeat graphical presentation - but the demo was criminally short! Reality Fighters is basically a five minute gimmick. Super Stardust was Super Stardust! Indeed, the games that emerged favourably were the duo of Modnation Racers and Wipeout 2048, the latter particularly with some excellent graphical flourishes and sound design. But the feeling even there is that it's nothing that home consoles can't do more effectively.

TBH, it persuaded me to hold out a little longer until either more interesting software emerges or there's a price drop. Didn't see anything today to truly justify the leap, even though the hardware seems to be able to handle some things - like augmented reality and camera - better than the 3DS.

Basically, if I was offered one I'd be delighted, but wouldn't be all that pushed to spend 250 euro on one!

Oh, and yes: the loading times are ridiculously poor. I'd say a race in Wipeout takes the guts of a minute to load!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

TBH, it persuaded me to hold out a little longer until either more interesting software emerges or there's a price drop.

Agreed. I got to try one on Saturday and wasn't overwhelmed. Wipeout was the only game I played though and...
    Oh, and yes: the loading times are ridiculously poor. I'd say a race in Wipeout takes the guts of a minute to load!

...this is a main reason for my feeling underwhelmed. The load times were so poor I asked if the Vita had crapped out on me.

I can hold off for a bit longer. Especially as the Cave game hasn't been announced yet.

I enjoyed Frobisher, which is a sort of poor man's Warioware.

There was one mini game where you had to squish little malla heads by squeezing the front and back of the console.

Didn't like the English accent on the thing giving me abuse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

At least he's not trying to gouge you on delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

DinoRex wrote: »
    At least he's not trying to gouge you on delivery.

Funny stuff alright!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Speaking of Retrogamer mag, seems I have the first 4 or 5 issues, no cover disks though :(
    I wonder if they are worth anything?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Speaking of Retrogamer mag, seems I have the first 4 or 5 issues, no cover disks though :(
    I wonder if they are worth anything?
    about 20-30 quid believe it or not, based on what I've seen on ebay
    the publisher that made them went bust after issue 18 , and a new crowd carried on from that point , so the early ones sell for more.
    I'm missing the first one myself , but have 2-50 with most of the cover disks, and then most of 50-99.
    Keep meaning to sell them but I figure I'd get the oul' "offer 5 euro I can get it cheaper on the ebays" on adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sell them on ebay then or on other gaming forums where you might get people who know what they are :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Sparks43 wrote: »

I have it but no scanner at the mo
    I might be able to scan it at the inlaws though at some point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's a must buy I think...
    1324590397_BOTTOM__122114h26m38.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gave the MGS 3D demo a whirl there.

Looks nice, but it's just the same game I already own with more third dimensional action and minus all the Subsistence extras. Less full priced ports please!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gave the MGS 3D demo a whirl there.

Looks nice, but it's just the same game I already own with more third dimensional action and minus all the Subsistence extras. Less full priced ports please!

Gave it a shot myself last night. I haven't played MGS3 at all, so was really excited about this.

Wasn't too impressed. After playing RE Revelations it doesn't look the best visually. The 3D doesn't work too well for me either, all the shrubbery messes it up.

It's like comparing a film made specifically with 3D in mind to a film which had 3D tacked on afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

o1s1n wrote: »
    Gave it a shot myself last night. I haven't played MGS3 at all, so was really excited about this.

Wasn't too impressed. After playing RE Revelations it doesn't look the best visually. The 3D doesn't work too well for me either, all the shrubbery messes it up.

It's like comparing a film made specifically with 3D in mind to a film which had 3D tacked on afterward

All of this.

I was really looking forward to this release. Totally not impressed. Controls seem messy with the CPP, havent tried without.
    The grass/trees/background in 3d is just WAY too much, too messy again.

Also, just read a review of the demo and one person was saying, its nothing new, just the bad frame rate of the PS2 version ported with 3D tacked on, and I completely agree with this.

No buy for me!

Could have been amazing but... mah.

May wait to get a Vita next year and get the HD ports on that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I have it but no scanner at the mo
    I might be able to scan it at the inlaws though at some point

Cheers m8 but im heading into town in a bit hopefully they have it in easons

just the bad frame rate of the PS2 version ported with 3D tacked on, and I completely agree with this.

They still haven't fixed that? The frame rate has been terrible since they first showed it. I bet it's a Tose conversion.

Perhaps the poor 3D is a feature.

Can you spot why 3D might be an issue for this guy?

metal-gear-solid-3d.jpg

• Advertisement

rtfYD.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement