Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Batman on the NES is really good as well. I liked the Gameboy one as well even if Batman had a gun which was weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The spiderman PS1 games as mentioned were great and of course there's yahtzees favourite, Spiderman 2 on PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The spiderman PS1 games as mentioned were great and of course there's yahtzees favourite, Spiderman 2 on PS2.

I actually had so much fun with that game! Spent a stupid amount of time doing spins through fire escapes and just arsing around
    That and Incredible Hulk

Have a few more. Riddick Escape from Butchers Bay was better than the film. The Warriors is the best thing Rockstar has done that isn't called Bully. Tron 2.0 on the PC is a forgotten gem that had a lot in common with Deus Ex.

Batman games seem to be quite high quality thinking about it. I loved Teh Adventures of Batman and Robin on the SNES and the Gameboy even if the GB one was rock hard, a friend of mine broke his GB when he head butt it while playing that game.

That and Incredible Hulk

Ultimate Destruction? That game was such a blast, really great open world playground to mess about it. The creators went on to make Prototype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ultimate Destruction? That game was such a blast, really great open world playground to mess about it. The creators went on to make Prototype.

Yep. This car is now boxing gloves! HULK SMASH!!!
    Prototype is fun enough but its not the Hulk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

King Kong on the 360 was pretty damn good... although the levels at the end controlling Kong in New York were rubbish.

I played it on the original Xbox and I enjoyed it although it felt really rushed. It had some nice ideas like the way there was no HUD and you could really use the environment to your advantage. I heard the 360 game had a problem where it's unplayable in HD since there's a bug where the screen is way too dark.

I played it on the original Xbox and I enjoyed it although it felt really rushed. It had some nice ideas like the way there was no HUD and you could really use the environment to your advantage. I heard the 360 game had a problem where it's unplayable in HD since there's a bug where the screen is way too dark.

That was if you were playing on a standard definition TV. Was a big issue back then as it was a game very early in the life of the 360 and HD TVs were still a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

someone put this up last night
    418537_10151279530945363_501675362_23059392_429216759_n.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm in the library trying not the laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

DinoRex wrote: »
    Hated the vague have I completed it or not ending on Caped Crusader though.

Did love it though. It came with my C64 so it was one of the first games I played on the thing.

I thought it was self explanatory,
    if it didn't say 100% FIN you gots some mo' work to do homie! :p

I actually managed to clear the first side of the tape back in the day, the one where you're up against the Penguins goons in the city.

The joker campaign (the funfair) was an absolute **** in comparison, I could never figure out how to untie Robin from the foundations of the Rollercoaster ride, tried using daggers, grenades, wire cutters, everything! :p

I still think to this day he enjoyed being tied up too much and didn't want to be set free. ;)

I also didn't know you had to defuse every single bomb to get 100% in that campaign, until watching a gameplay video recently.

Was a pretty awesome game actually, the graphics and comic book style of the game were great.

Each scene popped up as a window, which faded into the background as you went onto the next scene. Must have been a challenge to fit it into 64k of memory.

All in all, was a cool early inventory based puzzle game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

waveform wrote: »
    I could never figure out how to untie Robin from the foundations of the Rollercoaster ride, tried using daggers, grenades, wire cutters, everything! :p

Thats gas, i could never figure that out either! can you actually free him or what?

But didn't it just sort of keep going after you completed the 100%?

And you could never actually beat up the Joker or Penguin properly either.

Definitely did the Penguin one back in the day, but yeah... could never do the Joker one.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Thats gas, i could never figure that out either! can you actually free him or what?

This guy managed to do it by using the rope? WTF?

That makes no sense whatsoever!

Someone replied in the comments to me before saying you should be able to do it with the dagger too,

but I doubt it.

After I uploaded gameplay videos of Platoon for the c64 a few years back, I got talking to a Finnish youtuber who's pretty big into his retro stuff.

He got his girlfriend to make do cross stitch artwork for the Platoon Title Sceen and it looks awesome:

The info says it took several months to make.

You should also check out the hilarious "Sports Documentary" he filmed. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phOjmGxK5EQ

You can turn on the English subtitles by hitting the CC button.

There's some really strange Finnish people out there o_O....

Check out user MarkoRepairs with his ultimate VCR collection that got him 1 million views...

PSU in the sink, WTF?
    The guy has about 1000 repair videos on his channel.

Whatever you do, DO NOT smoke cigarettes near him...

He even made some finish rap video called "Anti Tobacco rap!"

I love when you find this obscure random **** on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Catherine with its non autosaving makes me feel really stupid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Can anyone think of anything post generation 3 & 4? And no, not Goldeneye.

Scott Pilgrim was one of the few that seemed to have a deep understanding of the (admittedly not quite grade A) source material. And an awesome soundtrack. Was probably better than the film. Definitely was, actually.

Wasn't Gregory Horror Show an adaptation of something equally insane as well?

I don't like either of the Catherines... the waitress at the bar is cute though.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Gregory Horror Show an adaptation of something equally insane as well?

Yup think it was some weird anime show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just recalled a surprising Street Pass exchange today.

Opened up my sleepy 3DS to discover a SP hit. Yay!

Into Mii Plaza, where I'm introduced to Amy.

'Hi my name is Amy!'

Hi Amy!

'Nice to meet you...'

You too!

'...rapist'

Not cool, Amy, not cool.

The girl in that sounds like Chunk from the Goonies at the end.

YOU GUYS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Which should I hunt for first(next):
    Compaq Portable II
    119606.jpg
    or
    Apple III
    appleiii.jpg
    ?

Trying out the Mass Effect 3 demo.

It looks lovely and really like how it cuts seamlessly from cut scenes to gameplay.

Sound doesn't seem very beefy though. I'd expect a planetary invasion by Reapers to be a bit louder but it's like these massive guys are just tip-toeing about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My hosting is moved and I'm back online at last.
    Two days to migrate all my data and services across to new servers, madness. They need to hire better people.

u798i.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Which should I hunt for first(next)?

x68kls.jpg

FM_TOWNS.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement