Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

I don't think I ever actually watched a gameplay of Golden Axe for Arcade until I now.

I may even not have been aware that an arcade version existed!

I discovered it in the wiki entry for "William S. Session"s who's name appeared on the "WINNERS DON'T DO DRUGS" screen that appears in most of the older Arcade cabs.

I love the intro showing the characters backgrounds though, and also their friend Alex getting decapitated at the beginning!

That's a nice touch that is lacking from the Mega Drive conversion.

Edit: Just noticed now theres more unarmed victims and lots of PCM samples going on throughout the game! Nice!
    The background art, and the Sepia dead bodies that remain on screen are awesome also.

Tyris Flare anyone?

15117-19670-5.jpg

fap-gosling.jpg

Note to Self*
    Must find real life Blaze cosplay model.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Best thing about it is the ending!

Watch from 7:04 on

o1s1n wrote: »
    Best thing about it is the ending!

Watch from 7:04 on

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I'll have to clear the arcade version on mame first me thinks! :D

I was also oblivious to the fact that Golden Axe Beast Rider was released a few years back, and didn't get the best of reviews....

Must also add the 2nd and 3rd game onto my to play list.

It was the Sega Master System version I played as a kid.

I actually kind of prefer the graphics on that version in some ways, as they looked more realistic or something,
    and the combat was a bit simpler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I actually really liked the Bioshock ending if you didn't kill the little sisters, it was quite moving. The final boss was the only let down.

I think the problem with Bioshock's ending is that
    the twist makes this huge commentary on the nature of videogame interaction, and the way we've been forced to follow the instructions of a digitised voice without questioning it
    The game then sends us on a mindless romp down a corridor for two or three hours.

Bioshock 2 was a better 'game' but lacked the freshness that impressed in the first. I'm really excited about Bioshock: Infinite, though. It really looks like it takes the ideas (both narrative and gameplay) and places them in an entirely novel and exciting new setting. There's so much scope there, and I can only hope this is the game where Levine and co. really follow through on the hints of true greatness that were frequently knocking around in Bioshock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I believe that kid chameleon ends in a similar manner but the game is so **** I never want to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can only hope this is the game where
    Levine and co. really follow through on the hints of true greatness that were frequently knocking around in Bioshock.

[brokenrecord]They already did, it was called System Shock 2[/brokenrecord]

Seriously if you haven't played it you owe it to yourself to play it!

waveform wrote: »
    Note to Self*
    Must find real life Blaze cosplay model.

Meh, close enough....

SoR+Shop.png

fap-now-right.jpg

;)

Anyone who thought I meant Blaze the Cat must have been a bit worried...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I started once but couldn't get it running properly on my computer at the time. I'll give it ago some other time, although I did like what I played, even if [trolling]some aspects of the gameplay were slightly dated[/trolling]

I think they also hit greatness with Deus Ex. But I think what they were trying to pull off with Bioshock was ridiculously admirable, even if they ultimately fell a little short of the mark. I just think if they push it that little bit further - mostly in terms of themes, atmosphere and narrative - it could be a masterpiece.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    [brokenrecord]They already did, it was called System Shock 2[/brokenrecord]

Seriously if you haven't played it you owe it to yourself to play it!

System Shock 2 > Deus Ex

in my experinece.

It kept me playing til the end, where as Deus Ex got boring after a while (particularly running around the sewers).

I played both of the games a good few years after they came out for the first time.

I just wanted some a deep RPG system like System Shock 2 and it would have gone from great to a classic. (Bioshock that is, Deus has that is spades)

SS2 might be a bit dated but it's not something that affects the overall experience. The horrendously dated 3D engine that can only do scripting when the developers use the power of pure optimism is really all that holds it back. That and the low poly engine. The AI is a bit basic as well but it's more RPG than Call of Duty clone. Oh, and some rotten pre- Metroid Prime jumping sections in a late section of the game that don't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Bioshock Infinite will definitely be an amazing game. Third times the charm sure. Second game is again a great game but it just didnt have the same flare are the first game. If it was released on its own it would have done a lot better thats for sure!

Never played SS2 but really need to get on that, heard nothing but the best about it

TBH I'd barely even consider Bioshock 2 a proper sequel as it was made without all of the original's team. It's more like an (admittedly impressive) expansion pack ala Gearbox's Opposing Force. It's an incremental improvement to some aspects of the game (mainly the combat, which hugely benefits from the addition of 'siege' moments and the like) but little more than, well, more of the same. Nicest thing I can say about it was that it was worth playing, if a little redundant in some respects.

Bioshock Infinite really looks like a truly ambitious sequel. I'm sure the studio pressure to stick with Rapture was huge (probably the main reason for Bioshock 2) but Infinite looks like a pretty much total reinvention without abandoning the tone & lofty thematic goals of its prequel(s).

Yep, an expansion is basically what it was. Well worth playing though as you said.

Doesn't Infinite have the original team back together for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

So... there's this:

z2Mlb.gif

DinoRex wrote: »
    So... there's this:

z2Mlb.gif

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Ah man, that's one of the funniest gifs I've seen in a long time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now that's what I call frakked up!

Still shocked that Ghostbusters on the NES didn't make the list of best game endings:

Iz0RD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just looking at Aladdin on the Megadrive, and I got to wondering, can anyone think of other high-quality, licensed titles that manage to not only be an excellent game, but also stand the test of time? I can think of Castle of Illusion. The Disney license got looked after well thanks to Virgin Interactive. Brainfart, can't think of anything else.

I've always been a huge fan of Batman The Movie on the Amiga:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Liked Aladdin on the SNES too, though not a good as the MD one. Ridiculously easy too. Always thought it was strange that each format was handled by a different developer.
    Disney games of that era tended to be rather good.

Quackshot is still fun to play, as is Ghostbusters 2 for the NES. I've never played that SCUMM-based Indy game but presumably I should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ghostchant wrote: »
    Liked Aladdin on the SNES too, though not a good as the MD one. Ridiculously easy too. Always thought it was strange that each format was handled by a different developer.
    Disney games of that era tended to be rather good.

Quackshot is still fun to play, as is Ghostbusters 2 for the NES. I've never played that SCUMM-based Indy game but presumably I should.

I loved Aladdin on the Snes, havn't actually played the Megadrive version.

The Magical Quest is also a brilliantly fun Mickey Mouse game, 1st stage notwithstanding.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Just looking at Aladdin on the Megadrive, and I got to wondering, can anyone think of other high-quality, licensed titles that manage to not only be an excellent game, but also stand the test of time? I can think of Castle of Illusion. The Disney license got looked after well thanks to Virgin Interactive. Brainfart, can't think of anything else.

Ehh...Cliffhanger COME ON!

If it's a disney license and by Capcom... well other than Talespin... then you can be sure it's an amazing game. Their NES and SNES games are outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DinoRex wrote: »
    I've always been a huge fan of Batman The Movie on the Amiga:

Ah Ocean Software. How recognisable you are :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I loved Ocean games back in the C64 days. I always wanted to get Terminator 2 on cartridge but I think back then it was £19.99 which was around £30 in today's money taking inflation in to account). Too rich for my diet.

I actually never have played the game all the way through, other than the demo on the Commodore Format Powerpak. It looked brilliant. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Batman the caped crusader was great on the c64 and dont forget chip and dale on the nes!

Hated the vague have I completed it or not ending on Caped Crusader though.

Did love it though. It came with my C64 so it was one of the first games I played on the thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh i got it with mine too, it had another "adventure" on the opposite side of the cassete too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Can anyone think of anything post generation 3 & 4? And no, not Goldeneye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement