Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

catch1 wrote: »
    There is a clinic in <snip> that are doing the MRI for 200 euro..Think they are mainly taking <snip> patients though!!!

Thanks Catch I ll be giving them a bell. Do you know what the name of the clinic is?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DD14

kyra123 wrote: »
    Thanks Catch I ll be giving them a bell. Do you know what the name of the clinic is?

I'd say it's <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 catch1

kyra123 wrote: »
    They are called <snip>
    Funny enough, they have just rang me with my appt for MRI..Fri 24th Feb.
    And they said because Im a PIP patient the MRI will take longer and it now costs 280euro....I asked will <snip> cover this??? She said Id have to discuss that with them..Think I might give <snip> a call, see if I get anywhere...doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ilmm2012

DD14 wrote: »
    Have my scan this afternoon in <snip>. Awake all night worrying.
    Don't know how I will get through the morning in work.

I had my ultrasound at <snip> and they really are lovely there, the nurse held my hand the whole way through and the technician was very thorough and spoke to me the whole time explaining what he was seeing because really it will like nothing to you.
    Try not to worry even though I know thats so hard, stay strong

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

Hi everyone,
    DD14 hope you got good news this afternoon?

Well I sent my MRI report off to <snip> today and they rang me this evening and confirmed that my small leak is a rupture and offered me a free removal and replacement as I fall within their 6 year window.

I had been speaking with my solicitor before contacting <snip> and she said to send them a copy of my MRI report and see what they say about it. She said that if they offer me free removal and replacement and I decide not to accept it and go elsewhere, then I may not be able to recover the cost of the operation as you are obliged to limit your costs and expenses when taking a claim against someone. So taking that into account, I think I will go with <snip>. At the end of the day, I had no complaints about them until the whole PIP issue.

Am meeting their surgeon on 10th April and from googling him, I think I would be happy to go with him. The implant they offered is the basic Allergan implant and I asked about the option of upgrading to the lifetime guarantee Allergan implant (Natrelle/Inspira) and they said this would be possible although I would have to pay the difference and that I could discuss it with them when I meet the surgeon.

My surgery is booked for 16th May so in a few more months, this nightmare will be behind me:)

• Advertisement

Oh my god the <snip> saga continues...
    I have been trying unsuccessfully to get my medical files the excuses just get better and better, still unconfirmed as to whether I definitely have PIPS or not all I get is the usual 99% sure its bordering on ridiculous now. Ive sent them a registered letter demanding my files stating Data Protection Acts blah blah about 2 weeks ago and now theyve finally received the files which I was told were coming from the archives in the UK, so I rang today so that they could confirm over the phone whether I definitely have PIPs and they told me that the batch no isnt on it <snip> didnt send that information, eh hello thought they were coming from the UK, Im so frigging annoyed, talking about dragging your feet what are they playing at?
    Hope everyone else is doing ok

Have my scan this afternoon in <snip>. Awake all night worrying.
    Don't know how I will get through the morning in work.

Hi all, thanks for all your good wishes, I really appreciate them. The scan confirmed no rupture in the implants, such a relief, but the radiographer said both implants have a leak in them, so my underarms are both showing silicone in the lymph nodes. He assured me there is no risk to my health due to the silicone leaking to the nodes and no urgency to have them removed. Not so sure about delaying in having them removed.

My implants are 9 years in now, so they are probably coming near the end of their shelf life. My dilemma now is where to go to have them replaced. <snip> are not going to remove for free as no rupture showed up, so do I look for another cosmetic surgeon or put my trust back in <snip>??Its going to cost me one way or another.
    Anyone had them replaced and where did you have them done and what cost??
    Once again, thanks to all the ladies on this forum for all the support they give to one another, it is really appreciated.

Hi all, thanks for all your good wishes, I really appreciate them. The scan confirmed no rupture in the implants, such a relief, but the radiographer said both implants have a leak in them, so my underarms are both showing silicone in the lymph nodes. He assured me there is no risk to my health due to the silicone leaking to the nodes and no urgency to have them removed. Not so sure about delaying in having them removed.

My implants are 9 years in now, so they are probably coming near the end of their shelf life. My dilemma now is where to go to have them replaced. <snip> are not going to remove for free as no rupture showed up, so do I look for another cosmetic surgeon or put my trust back in <snip>?Its going to cost me one way or another.
    Once again, thanks to all the ladies on this forum for all the support they give to one another, it is really appreciated.

Hi DD14,
    very sorry to hear your bad news :(. I'd ring <snip> and see what they offer you. Like you, my report said that the shell of my implants were intact but I still had a bulge and a leak in one of them and <snip> have said they consider this to be a rupture and will replace mine as I'm within the 6 year window. So they may very well offer you free removal and you can see how much extra they will charge to replace them. It's worth speaking to them about it anyway. I know one of the girls on here had hers replaced with <snip> for 3500. That is probably the cheapest you are going to find and i think the implants are the same that <snip> are now using i.e. Allergan.

Hi everyone,

Well I sent my MRI report off to <snip> today and they rang me this evening and confirmed that my small leak is a rupture and offered me a free removal and replacement as I fall within their 6 year window.

I had been speaking with my solicitor before contacting <snip> and she said to send them a copy of my MRI report and see what they say about it. She said that if they offer me free removal and replacement and I decide not to accept it and go elsewhere, then I may not be able to recover the cost of the operation as you are obliged to limit your costs and expenses when taking a claim against someone. So taking that into account, I think I will go with <snip>. At the end of the day, I had no complaints about them until the whole PIP issue.

Am meeting their surgeon on 10th April and from googling him, I think I would be happy to go with him. The implant they offered is the basic Allergan implant and I asked about the option of upgrading to the lifetime guarantee Allergan implant (Natrelle/Inspira) and they said this would be possible although I would have to pay the difference and that I could discuss it with them when I meet the surgeon.

My surgery is booked for 16th May so in a few more months, this nightmare will be behind me:)
    Hi Evergreen girl,
    Really happy you are getting this all sorted and you can start looking forward to living again. My scan showed no rupture but did show silicone in the lymph node in both armpits. <snip> will probably charge me full cost to remove & replace as no rupture confirmed and mine are 9 years in.
    I agreee with your comment about having no issue with <snip> before the PIP scare. Just wish this was all behind me.

Hi everyone,

Glad you can see an end in sight:) I have never heard of these "lifetime Allergen implants" ? Sounds great, Im having an ultrasound on Thursday and an MRI next week, so dont know what Im facing??? Im sure I want these out, but I know Ill be so sad when they are gone.X

• Advertisement

Glad you can see an end in sight:) I have never heard of these "lifetime Allergen implants" ? Sounds great, Im having an ultrasound on Thursday and an MRI next week, so dont know what Im facing??? Im sure I want these out, but I know Ill be so sad when they are gone.X

Catch1 can I ask why you're having an Ultrasound and then an MRI instead of just going straight ahead with the MRI???

<snip>

Good luck evergreen girl, you seem well informed and doing the right thing checking out surgeon and the implants we dont want anything like this vto happen again

My implants are 9 years in now, so they are probably coming near the end of their shelf life. My dilemma now is where to go to have them replaced. <snip> are not going to remove for free as no rupture showed up, so do I look for another cosmetic surgeon or put my trust back in <snip>??Its going to cost me one way or another.

Hi DD14 I really feel for you I know the technician said there was no risk to your health but hearing you've 2 leaks must have been horrible for you, I would definitely chance my arm with <snip> it cant do any harm right but if you have to pay again <snip> seem to be the ones to go with IMO there are only 3500 were as elsewhere including <snip> you'll probably pay 5000 or more, my implants are in since 2001 so know exactly how you feel.

ilmm2012 wrote: »
    Catch1 can I ask why you're having an Ultrasound and then an MRI instead of just going straight ahead with the MRI???

Hi ilmm, I went to my GP for a referal weeks ago and she set up an appointment to see a breast surgeon in <snip>, she said that you have to see surgeon before any scan is done, Scan tomorrow!!! Scary!!
    In the meantime <snip> Have set up a referal to have an MRI next week !!! 280euro..I will see what comes of this scan tomorrow, might not need MRI if they are able to see something??? Hope your well??

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

<snip>

Hi Evergreen,

Glad you're getting sorted eventually. Really hope it all goes well for you, you seem to have done your homework anyway;) and yes better off going for the Natrelle/Inspira range rather than the basic Allergan ones.

<snip>

Hi Evergeen! Just wondering, Are you scared of implanting again?? Im torn between removal and replacement???? So scary thinking of what might come up down the road(health wise) I know Ill be heartbroken without them but dont know if Im brave enough to re implant giving the circumstances!!!

Hi DD14 I really feel for you I know the technician said there was no risk to your health but hearing you've 2 leaks must have been horrible for you, I would definitely chance my arm with <snip> it cant do any harm right but if you have to pay again <snip> seem to be the ones to go with IMO there are only 3500 were as elsewhere including Harley you'll probably pay 5000 or more, my implants are in since 2001 so know exactly how you feel.

Hey DD14,
    Glad you've no ruptures but sorry to hear about the leaks. ILMM is right, maybe get back to <snip> and push them and see if they can sort you out, the least they can do! otherwise give <snip> a ring, I know they've sorted out some girls to date, and they've been happy with everything there.

Hi Evergreen girl,
    Really happy you are getting this all sorted and you can start looking forward to living again. My scan showed no rupture but did show silicone in the lymph node in both armpits. <snip> will probably charge me full cost to remove & replace as no rupture confirmed and mine are 9 years in.
    I agreee with your comment about having no issue with <snip> before the PIP scare. Just wish this was all behind me.

Girls look I'm sorry to say this but I really feel it needs to be said, yes of course SNIP were all nice to us when they were taking 6000 off each of us but the sign of a good company is their customer service skills when there is a problem and lets face it they havent dealt with most of us too well , theyve dragged their feet on every issue and kept most of us waiting around, we trusted them and theyve let us down IMO:mad::mad:

Hi Evergeen! Just wondering, Are you scared of implanting again?? Im torn between removal and replacement???? So scary thinking of what might come up down the road(health wise) I know Ill be heartbroken without them but dont know if Im brave enough to re implant giving the circumstances!!!

Hi Catch1,
    totally know where you're coming from, I've been agonising over it since xmas. The chances of another breast implant scandal is probably quite slim but the possibility is still there all the same. My husband wants me to just have them removed and not replaced but I'm actually really happy with my breasts and unfortunately I'm not quite ready to give them up.

I'm hoping that if I go with a higher quality implant, I might get 15-20 years out of them (I think that's prob the longest you'll get out of any implant regardless of what the manufacturer might say) as opposed to another 10 years with a basic implant. At that stage, I'm hoping I'll be happy to revert to my previous size and will have them removed (and get an uplift if necessary).

To help you make your decision have a look at this website which shows explant before and after photos.

http://www.justbreastimplants.com/gallery/explant_photos.htm

It is a massive decision to replace them so have a good think about it and maybe google some more explant photos as in fairness I thought my breasts would be ruined if I just had my implants removed but from looking at the pictures, the majority of women's breasts look perfectly fine after removing them.

At the end of the day, if you decide to get new implants and you're always going to be worrying about them, then is there any point in you getting them? The worry you'll feel will definitely outweigh any benefits for you.

Good luck with your decision and best of luck with your scan.
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Hi Catch1,
    totally know where you're coming from, I've been agonising over it since xmas. The chances of another breast implant scandal is probably quite slim but the possibility is still there all the same. My husband wants me to just have them removed and not replaced but I'm actually really happy with my breasts and unfortunately I'm not quite ready to give them up.

I'm hoping that if I go with a higher quality implant, I might get 15-20 years out of them (I think that's prob the longest you'll get out of any implant regardless of what the manufacturer might say) as opposed to another 10 years with a basic implant. At that stage, I'm hoping I'll be happy to revert to my previous size and will have them removed (and get an uplift if necessary).

To help you make your decision have a look at this website which shows explant before and after photos.

http://www.justbreastimplants.com/gallery/explant_photos.htm

It is a massive decision to replace them so have a good think about it and maybe google some more explant photos as in fairness I thought my breasts would be ruined if I just had my implants removed but from looking at the pictures, the majority of women's breasts look perfectly fine after removing them.

At the end of the day, if you decide to get new implants and you're always going to be worrying about them, then is there any point in you getting them? The worry you'll feel will definitely outweigh any benefits for you.

Good luck with your decision and best of luck with your scan.
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Thanks Evergreen x
    Iv had them in over six years now and since getting them have had a baby which led to sagging :( So what they would look like if the implants were gone I can only imagine??Plus I had an uplift when I had them done in the first place, which means Id be left with saggy scared boobs???? It is such a hard decision to make,im only 39, so still like to get dressed up and look nice.Did you choose to wait till May or is there a long waiting list?

• Advertisement

Girls look I'm sorry to say this but I really feel it needs to be said, yes of course <snip> were all nice to us when they were taking 6000 off each of us but the sign of a good company is their customer service skills when there is a problem and lets face it they havent dealt with most of us too well , theyve dragged their feet on every issue and kept most of us waiting around, we trusted them and theyve let us down IMO:mad::mad:

I hear what you are saying ilmm2012 and I think we all agree that we've been treated like crap over the last few months.

But from my point of view, knowing that I have a rupture and that I need to get it taken care of, the only thing I can do to convince myself that I'm making the right decision by going back to <snip> is to focus on the positives of my last experience with them. I'm sure this is the case with all of the other girls with ruptures who have to return to them for surgery.

I would honestly happily pay another clinic to do the surgery if there was any chance I could get the money back as I completely take your point about the sign of a good company being their treatment of you when there is a problem. But as I've already been advised by my solicitor that the recovery of this money would be slim to none when I've been offered a free replacement, I can't afford to spend thousands of euro with no hope of recovering it. So unfortunately I'm going to have to continue brainwashing myself into believing that <snip> are not that bad:rolleyes:

Thanks Evergreen x
    Iv had them in over six years now and since getting them have had a baby which led to sagging :( So what they would look like if the implants were gone I can only imagine??Plus I had an uplift when I had them done in the first place, which means Id be left with saggy scared boobs???? It is such a hard decision to make,im only 39, so still like to get dressed up and look nice.Did you choose to wait till May or is there a long waiting list?

Feel for you, def a hard decision. Maybe you could make an appointment with another clinic (as long as it was free) and see what options they could suggest for you if you had your implants removed? At least then you would have all the information you need to make a decision.

Re the waiting list, the earliest appointment they could give me to see a surgeon was 10th April so yeah I think there is a bit of a backlog. I asked them to book me in for the surgery in May while I was on the phone with them as I want to get it sorted before I go back to work from maternity leave. Otherwise I presume they would not organise a surgery date until you had seen the surgeon and I was afraid they would be fully booked up for May by the time I met him.

I don't mind waiting until May as my rupture is very small and the silicone hasn't migrated anywhere. Also only stopped breastfeeding at xmas and another surgeon advised that I should wait until at least May for any surgery to allow my breasts to settle into their final shape (although i presume he meant wait and see how far down they will sag:D)

I hear what you are saying ilmm2012 and I think we all agree that we've been treated like crap over the last few months.

But from my point of view, knowing that I have a rupture and that I need to get it taken care of, the only thing I can do to convince myself that I'm making the right decision by going back to HMG is to focus on the positives of my last experience with them. I'm sure this is the case with all of the other girls with ruptures who have to return to them for surgery.

I would honestly happily pay another clinic to do the surgery if there was any chance I could get the money back as I completely take your point about the sign of a good company being their treatment of you when there is a problem. But as I've already been advised by my solicitor that the recovery of this money would be slim to none when I've been offered a free replacement, I can't afford to spend thousands of euro with no hope of recovering it. So unfortunately I'm going to have to continue brainwashing myself into believing that <snip> are not that bad:rolleyes:

I understand exactly were you're coming from evergreen I just think its terrible that you have to go with them and its come to this.

Girls look I'm sorry to say this but I really feel it needs to be said, yes of course SNIP were all nice to us when they were taking 6000 off each of us but the sign of a good company is their customer service skills when there is a problem and lets face it they havent dealt with most of us too well , theyve dragged their feet on every issue and kept most of us waiting around, we trusted them and theyve let us down IMO:mad::mad:

No ILMM you're spot on there in what you're saying. Customer Service does not feature with this company, bad customer service is more like it. At the end of the day, there is no need for this behaviour or attitude especially in this situation we're all in. We are human beings and need to be treated accordingly and compassionately.
    These people should be absolutely ashamed of themselves as people. If they have no respect for people, well it's clear to see they've no respect for themselves. Karma will catch up on them all.

Feel for you, def a hard decision. Maybe you could make an appointment with another clinic (as long as it was free) and see what options they could suggest for you if you had your implants removed? At least then you would have all the information you need to make a decision.

Re the waiting list, the earliest appointment they could give me to see a surgeon was 10th April so yeah I think there is a bit of a backlog. I asked them to book me in for the surgery in May while I was on the phone with them as I want to get it sorted before I go back to work from maternity leave. Otherwise I presume they would not organise a surgery date until you had seen the surgeon and I was afraid they would be fully booked up for May by the time I met him.

I don't mind waiting until May as my rupture is very small and the silicone hasn't migrated anywhere. Also only stopped breastfeeding at xmas and another surgeon advised that I should wait until at least May for any surgery to allow my breasts to settle into their final shape (although i presume he meant wait and see how far down they will sag:D)

Thanks for sharing your information with me Evergreen.. Ill let you know how I get on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

Pixiejane wrote: »
    Girls look I'm sorry to say this but I really feel it needs to be said, yes of course <SNIP> were all nice to us when they were taking 6000 off each of us but the sign of a good company is their customer service skills when there is a problem and lets face it they havent dealt with most of us too well , theyve dragged their feet on every issue and kept most of us waiting around, we trusted them and theyve let us down IMO:mad::mad:

No ILMM you're spot on there in what you're saying. Customer Service does not feature with this company, bad customer service is more like it. At the end of the day, there is no need for this behaviour or attitude especially in this situation we're all in. We are human beings and need to be treated accordingly and compassionately.
    These people should be absolutely ashamed of themselves as people. If they have no respect for people, well it's clear to see they've no respect for themselves. Karma will catch up on them all.
    I totaly agree with u on this i think if this clinic had treate us with the respect they promised in the first place we would have no issue with going with them again but they havent treated us with the compassion or respect we deserve as their patients they hav basically kept their head down and not been there for us at all they didnt contact us when they were supposed to they havent offered scans they have dug their heels in with regard to medical records and confirmation and have been absolutely horrible to deal with on the phone very unprofessional i just think if they had sorted this problem head on instead of sticking their heads in the sand we would not be writing about this right now !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anyone know the lead time for an MRI at <snip>?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

Well, I got the results of my MRI this evening and it says that there is no evidence of rupture which is good.

However it does say I have a very small bulge in my right implant which they think is probably a small external silicone leaking which is not good:(. Thankfully there is no evidence of silicone in my breast tissue or swelling of my lymph nodes. Well not yet anyway!

Don't really know what to do now. Don't know if there's any point contacting <snip> if my report doesn't say I have a confirmed rupture. Although I also don't understand how I can have a probable silicone leak if I don't have a rupture? Possibly its a gel bleed through the shell of the implant but the report doesn't specify how it might have happened.

Anyways, I had kind of decided prior to my MRI that I would have them replaced in May by <snip> but my hubby thinks it madness to pay out thousands of euro to another company if HMG will do them for free.

Has anyone else been identified as having a probable leak but no rupture? And if so did the offer by <snip> still apply?
    Hi evergreen girl did u contact <snip> about the gel bleed and what did they say to you? Im going for an mri hopefully next week so nervous!!!"

jeano8 wrote: »
    Hi evergreen girl did u contact <snip> about the gel bleed and what did they say to you? Im going for an mri hopefully next week so nervous!!!"
    Hi evergreen. I rang <snip> and told them about the leaking in my implants. I have an appointment with them for 27th feb. Mine are 9 years in so I'm sure I will be told they need to be replaced anyway. I will probably check out other clinics and then decide wer to have it done. I am 47 now and not sure if replacement is something my body can cope with for the next 10 years. I have very low self esteem and don't know if going back to size AA is something I can deal with. Hubby is very supportive but at the end of the day it's my decision. By the way my husband and GP are the only people who know I have implants I was very private bout this.

• Advertisement

jeano8 wrote: »
    Well, I got the results of my MRI this evening and it says that there is no evidence of rupture which is good.

However it does say I have a very small bulge in my right implant which they think is probably a small external silicone leaking which is not good:(. Thankfully there is no evidence of silicone in my breast tissue or swelling of my lymph nodes. Well not yet anyway!

Don't really know what to do now. Don't know if there's any point contacting harley medical group if my report doesn't say I have a confirmed rupture. Although I also don't understand how I can have a probable silicone leak if I don't have a rupture? Possibly its a gel bleed through the shell of the implant but the report doesn't specify how it might have happened.

Anyways, I had kind of decided prior to my MRI that I would have them replaced in May by Auralia clinic but my hubby thinks it madness to pay out thousands of euro to another company if HMG will do them for free.

Has anyone else been identified as having a probable leak but no rupture? And if so did the offer by HMG still apply?
    Hi evergreen girl did u contact hmg about the gel bleed and what did they say to you? Im going for an mri hopefully next week so nervous!!!"
    Hi evergreen. I rang HMG and told them about the leaking in my implants. I have an appointment with them for 27th feb. Mine are 9 years in so I'm sure I will be told they need to be replaced anyway. I will probably check out other clinics and then decide wer to have it done. I am 47 now and not sure if replacement is something my body can cope with for the next 10 years. I have very low self esteem and don't know if going back to size AA is something I can deal with. Hubby is very supportive but at the end of the day it's my decision. By the way my husband and GP are the only people who know I have implants I was very private bout this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement