Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sites Using Pyro

• 14-02-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

What is it about some sites openly admitting using pyro on their site, I'm sick of it at this stage. I'm not naming the place but if your on facebook you have probably seen it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Stormxv1

What exactly are you "sick" of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Stormxv1 wrote: »
    What exactly are you "sick" of?

I believe he is sick of sites using illegalities openly such as Pyro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

_ricochet_ wrote: »
    What is it about some sites openly admitting using pyro on their site, I'm sick of it at this stage. I'm not naming the place but if your on facebook you have probably seen it.

who is it? im not on book face................. you could pm me?

Do they come under the same catagory as fireworks so?Even a smoke grenade?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Stormxv1 wrote: »
    Do they come under the same catagory as fireworks so?Even a smoke grenade?

Yep, anything with pyro requires a permit.

• Advertisement

Ah didnt know the smokers would be too....whoops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

What is it about some sites openly admitting using pyro on their site,
    I presume they either don't care or don't know that it is illegal, or feel it is only a "touch of illegal".
    I'm sick of it at this stage.
    So do something about it. Let the site know it is illegal and/or tell the Guards.

Coming on here with a "something terrible is happening, somewhere I am not saying, and I am sick of it" is just being a drama queen.
    I'm not naming the place but if your on facebook you have probably seen it.
    Only if you are linked to that site. But are you referring to this picture that was posted by <edit: some site>, or is there more than one place bothering you?
    426414_373756985985426_303240226370436_1393868_119479748_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

sliabh wrote: »
    But are you referring to this picture that was posted by the owners of an indoor site in Munster with the title "Gonna have fun Wednesday haha"]

Can you pm me the name of this site, please?

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Can you pm me the name of this site, please?
    As they have posted this publicly themselves on Facebook I don't think there is a problem with identifying the site here (mods correct me if you feel differently). The site is <snip>.

<more snip>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I had to remove some of your post sliabh, pm on the way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Storm in a tea cup. The said on their FB page that "Only marshals that have a pyro course done can use them", this would seem to comply with the pyrotechnic legislation. If anyone intends to play there with pyro in use and are unsure of the situation then they should ask to see the relevant pyro training certificates & request confirmation that the site insurance covers the use of pyro.

I'm all for protecting our hobby and will always question the legality of anything I think looks dodgy but perhaps people should ensure they understand the situation in full before getting upset?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

All:
    Please do not associate any identifiable entity with any accusations / implications of illegal activity as this may land us in trouble.

The topic is fine as long as it's kept 'general'.

If you're unsure about what you can or cannot post, my PM inbox is open.

Steve wrote: »
    I had to remove some of your post sliabh, pm on the way. :)
    No worries. I may have been jumping a little too far ahead in my assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Decoy wrote: »
    Storm in a tea cup. The said on their FB page that "Only marshals that have a pyro course done can use them", this would seem to comply with the pyrotechnic legislation. If anyone intends to play there with pyro in use and are unsure of the situation then they should ask to see the relevant pyro training certificates & request confirmation that the site insurance covers the use of pyro.

I'm all for protecting our hobby and will always question the legality of anything I think looks dodgy but perhaps people should ensure they understand the situation in full before getting upset?

only added after the picture popped up hear, tbh loads of sites doing this it is relatively easy to purchase this stuff and have it imported from the uk, most sites do not even know the law and just by them online

personally I see it as rather recluse by sites as they're leaving them open to problems if a local super wants and excuse to shut them down

it is another one of those elephants in the room that no one talks about,. all you have to do is look over a few of the pages for sites around Ireland you can find lots of examples of this

(and yes I have asked a couple of sites if they have license or know the law and tbh you just get laughed at)

Decoy wrote: »
    Storm in a tea cup. The said on their FB page that "Only marshals that have a pyro course done can use them", this would seem to comply with the pyrotechnic legislation.
    It's my understanding that trained personnel is not a sufficient requirement. I believe (and I am open to correction here) that the site itself has to be licensed as well. I think that is the fundamental question - Is the site licensed?

Regardless, I am not entirely sure it is advisable to be letting off smoke in an indoor location. Even outdoors it leaves me coughing and spluttering.

It's my understanding that trained personnel is not a sufficient requirement. I believe (and I am open to correction here) that the site itself has to be licensed as well. I think that is the fundamental question - Is the site licensed?

Regardless, I am not entirely sure it is advisable to be letting off smoke in an indoor location. Even outdoors it leaves me coughing and spluttering.

most sites in the will restrict their use to outdoors for this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I always get a little annoyed when I see pics up viewable to the public of
    of sites with pyro being used usually followed by pics of fellas wearing
    their current Issue Irish DPM with their rank markings taken off.

Pet peev of mine.

Would like to know which sites or which marshells actually are
    legally authorized to use things like this. Thought there was only 1 place
    all above board.....with others ignorant of the law or pretending they are ignorant of the law...or just not giving a crap.

If sites are going to do things like this at least fer feck sake dont
    provide the world with evidence that could get your favorite skirmishing
    grounds closed down for good.

(I'm not talking about any one single site, talking in general across all of Ireland)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

man up or go away, once a site is legally using pyro there should be no compaints apart from there aint enough. it takes alot for a site to use pyro legally including being passed off by a fire officer. so if its being used legally then its safe.

c-90 wrote: »
    man up or go away, once a site is legally using pyro there should be no compaints apart from there aint enough.

'man up' serious? great attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

http://www.airsoftireland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9195

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

The 1875 Act provides that fireworks and pyrotechnics may only be imported into Ireland with an importation licence granted by the Tánaiste and it is current policy to only issue licenses for the importation of fireworks used in organised displays, conducted by “professional/ competent operators”. In effect, this policy means that the only fireworks imported into the State and “legally held” are those used in professional displays. All other fireworks imported, held, sold or used in this country are illegal and any person in possession of fireworks without a valid licence is liable to prosecution.

• Advertisement

the website where the pyro in the photo where bought is based in the uk Darlington
    Co. Durham
    DL1 2NW

they ship to Ireland and have a .ie address on there website. Just because you can order this stuff online doesn't make it any more legal in this country simple because you can get it.

I'm sure if the named site is full above board they wouldn't have a problem in producing there importation licence granted by the Tánaiste and clearance from there local super stating the pyro is legally held and being used in professional display/s

Failing that they have just left themselves open to prosecution. The law is the Law if you agree with it or not

Puding wrote: »
    'man up' serious? great attitude

so dressing up as essentially a soldier or combatant of some kind and running around replicating war or combat of some kind getting shot at with and shooting 6mm plastic pellets is ok but running through a little smoke isnt?

accusing a site that for the best of anyone on heres knowledge of breaking the law is also a "great attitude"

and people wonder why airsoft is frowned upon.

@hellfireie using pyro at an aisoft game (if used by legally trained and signed off operators) is for professional display. its not going to be used for blowing down walls or shooting helicopters out of the sky its used for adding to the imersion, making it more realistic. its for the observation of players.

accusing a site that for the best of anyone on heres knoledge of breaking the law is also a "great attitude"

i mentioned no names, the point is this is the elephant in the room, some sites are 100% using phyros without a license fact, i think discussing it rather than sticking our heads in the sand is a ''good attitude'' being irresponsible with peoples heath is a bad attitude i can not see it any other way

this type of activity could have a negative effect on the hobby

your introducing smoke in an inclosed environment that can irritate breathing and eyes with people using goggle and masks, maning up is not an option, common sense is what is needed

Thats fine once they can prove there licenced and its all above board

i the point is this is the
    your introducing smoke in an inclosed environment that can irritate breathing and eyes with people using goggle and masks, maning up is not an option, common sense is what is needed

"I presume they either don't care or don't know that it is illegal, or feel it is only a "touch of illegal".

did you not say this, because this implies to me that you think something illegal is going on. when in fact you have no idea to wheather it is legal or not.

we'll just have to differ on the smoke point but i assumed if you were sensitive to these things youd just not play there or sit it out. instead of depriving other players of fun.
    hellfireie wrote: »
    Thats fine once they can prove there licenced and its all above board

that is fine. but nobody on here has the right to start a thread bitching about a site when they havent even contactd the site owner to see if it was legal. theres too much of a shoot everything down attitude on the forum.

just for the record i dont know or have ever player or have any affiliation with the site.

c-90 wrote: »
    man up or go away, once a site is legally using pyro there should be no compaints apart from there aint enough. it takes alot for a site to use pyro legally including being passed off by a fire officer. so if its being used legally then its safe.
    All true, but there is no evidence that the site has a cert at this time. HRTA was the only one, and it's news to me if another site has been given permission.

I'd like to see a scan of their cert which would make this whole discussion go away.

It it is legal it's not a problem, so they need to prove they are legal.

"I presume they either don't care or don't know that it is illegal, or feel it is only a "touch of illegal".

did you not say this, because this implies to me that you think something illegal is going on. when in fact you have no idea to wheather it is legal or not.

as far as i can remember I have not said that, i think you're confusing me with sliabh

we'll just have to differ on the smoke point but i assumed if you were sensitive to these things youd just not play there or sit it out. instead of depriving other players of fun.

we're not going to agree or change each other views so we will just have to agree to disagree on this

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I'd like to see a scan of their cert which would make this whole discussion go away.

Why such concern? Every time you get in a TAXI do you ask the guy if he has a drivers licence?
    If laws are being broken its up to the Guardi to enforce them not us...

All true, but there is no evidence that the site has a cert at this time. HRTA was the only one, and it's news to me if another site has been given permission.

It it is legal it's not a problem, so they need to prove they are legal.

where do you get off pal. this would be like me stopping you in the street and asking to see if you had a licence. if you were playing on the site then maybe you could ask a question like this but to ask for a site to prove to you, who are you? over an internet forum that they have a permit is rediculous.
    as far as i can remember I have not said that, i think you're confusing me with sliabh

i apologise mistook you for sliabh

• Advertisement

Why such concern?
    Because Airsoft as a sport sits in a place where it can get banned or restricted out of existence at the drop of a hat/stroke of a ministers pen.

We need to show that we are not the dangerous irresponsible military fanatics that certain sections of the media portray us as. And a big part of that is managing our sport in a way that is safe and follows the law.

I'd love it if pyros were freely available, but I am not going to advocate breaking the law to get them.
    Every time you get in a TAXI do you ask the guy if he has a drivers licence?
    I don't have to, it is on display on the dash. But in a country with tens of thousands of licensed taxis I can safely assume that a plate on the back, and a sign on top means the guy is legit. But for airsoft sites pyro licenses are the exception. I know how much trouble the Bellurgan guys went to unsuccessfully trying to get a licence for the Rionegro game last year. So in this case the onus is on the site to do everything to demonstrate that they are authorised.
    If laws are being broken its up to the Guardi to enforce them not us...
    And the Guards will enforce them. But there is nothing wrong with bringing it to their attention that laws are being broken.

Advertisement