Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Vs Laois Boundaries

Options
  • 06-02-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

Agree on the choice of DIY shops but what you havent mentioned is the 'locally owned shops'. Doyles Topline (Doyle's of the Shamrock) is a locally owned, local staff, very experienced staff and great value for money. In order for Carlow to remain strong, it is important to shop local.

Doyle's is now in Laois though.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Morf wrote: »

But still in Carlow town which is what he was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

almighty1 wrote: »
    But still in Carlow town which is what he was referring to.

No, you'll find it's squarely in Laois. It's about 800m over the border. Graiguecullen (which it isn't in either) isn't Carlow Town anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

No, you'll find it's squarely in Laois. It's about 800m over the border. Graiguecullen (which it isn't in either) isn't Carlow Town anyway.

Preach, Brother Man!

Yes I know its in Laois but still in Carlow Town. :rolleyes:
    And its not as if you didnt know that he was referring to the town and not the county.

Haha actually their official address on topline website is .......

Topline Doyles, Shamrock Business Park
    Graiguecullen, Co Carlow
    Phone: 059 - 9131847

http://topline.ie/#carlow

almighty1 wrote: »
    Yes I know its in Laois but still in Carlow Town. :rolleyes:
    And its not as if you didnt know that he was referring to the town and not the county.

Haha actually their official address on topline website is .......

Topline Doyles, Shamrock Business Park
    Graiguecullen, Co Carlow
    Phone: 059 - 9131847

http://topline.ie/#carlow

Quite a long way into Laois is covered by Carlow post office. Last time I checked Ballickmoyler was a Carlow address.

It's not Carlow Town. It's in a different county and they are covered by Laois County Council not Carlow UDC.

I'm not sure what your obsession with claiming that areas that aren't Carlow Town and haven't ever been.

What is your definition of 'Carlow Town'? Where exactly do you think 'Carlow Town' ends going that direction?

• Advertisement

No obsession on my part anyway Morf, in fact you should look at your original response below. Shinne made the points to "shop local" and cited Doyles as a local shop. Even though its in a different County its both local and (in his opinion) important for Carlow to remain strong (given its proximity to Carlow).

However your response was ....... I dont really understand the point in your response either. So the obsession seems to be on your side buddy.

Agree on the choice of DIY shops but what you havent mentioned is the 'locally owned shops'. Doyles Topline (Doyle's of the Shamrock) is a locally owned, local staff, very experienced staff and great value for money. In order for Carlow to remain strong, it is important to shop local.

Totally off topic - just had a look at Google Maps and it shows a large triangle of Graigue being in Carlow. Didnt know that, is this correct?

2d7d89u.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yes the 'Triangle' has been part of Co Carlow for well over a hundred years now. From the sawmills, to the numbers on one side, and to the astro turf pitches / declan byrnes on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Given the debate over in the Pennys development thread around the town vs county boundaries I am moving some of those posts to this thread to clean things up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

when will the carlovian republican army rise up and conquer the laois bits of carlow town?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

LAOIS, LAOIS, LAOIS, LAOIS, LAOIS, LAOIS.

• Advertisement

when will the carlovian republican army rise up and conquer the laois bits of carlow town?

Id say it more likely that the Graigue army will rise up and demand to become part of Carlovia :P

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

New mothers who live in the likes of Rochford Manor and Crossneen Manor, have to travel all the way down to Portlaoise to get their newborn babies BCG, where if they lived a bit further down the road such as Cloyagh, they can go into Dympna's do get their children vacinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

car wrote: »
    New mothers who live in the likes of Rochford Manor and Crossneen Manor, have to travel all the way down to Portlaoise to get their newborn babies BCG, where if they lived a bit further down the road such as Cloyagh, they can go into Dympna's do get their children vacinated.

:eek::eek:... If that's true the Carlovian army really need to get there sh1t together pronto:D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Its true, know it for a fact, Ring the Health Center in Graiguecullen and they will confirm it Phone: (059)9143651

New mothers that dont even have cars are expected to get public transport down with their newborn babies to get this injection, I think its ridiculous as people from these estates on the Carlow/Laois border could walk into Dympna's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i live in crossneen and we have to deal with portlaoise when it comes to eye tests etc for the kids. when we lived on killeshin road (not too far up the road either, just outside mount clare court), I had to go to portlaoise for rent allowance. some say the dividing line between laois and carlow is the river, but the actual boundry is more complicated than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

car wrote: »
    Its true, know it for a fact, Ring the Health Center in Graiguecullen and they will confirm it Phone: (059)9143651

New mothers that dont even have cars are expected to get public transport down with their newborn babies to get this injection, I think its ridiculous as people from these estates on the Carlow/Laois border could walk into Dympna's

That there just sums up everything that is wrong with this land of ours...Genuinely shocked car but tbh nothing surprises me anymore in this country... How as a nation we just sit back and put up with stupid red tape bureaucracy like this is beyond me:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

On the other hand, children in need of OT services get seen promptly if they live across the river in Laois, will wait years in Carlow.

Surely the seperation of services like that must be in the minority. Like people on the dole surely dont have to go to Portloaise?

the carlow/laois border is a mess ... ever try to go out canvassing in Graigue? Theres parts where one house is in laois and next door in carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

maccored wrote: »
    the carlow/laois border is a mess ... ever try to go out canvassing in Graigue? Theres parts where one house is in laois and next door in carlow.

There are plenty of similar situations across the country, even cases where boundaries divide the same house. drogheda

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    There are plenty of similar situations across the country, even cases where boundaries divide the same house. drogheda

See one of the houses in Father Byrne Park.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I heard of a divided house where two areas were claiming a child for community games or similar,one side "won" as the line went outside the bedroom door, where the child spent more time than in other rooms!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I heard of a divided house where two areas were claiming a child for community games or similar,one side "won" as the line went outside the bedroom door, where the child spent more time than in other rooms!!

LoL
    Sorry, but that's hilarious!

ShayK1 wrote: »
    LoL
    Sorry, but that's hilarious!
    Some of those local type competitions are dog eat dog!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

would he have though?
    like he'd be spending around 8+ hours a night in his bedroom
    what.. six-eight hours in school a day? and then hed probably be over at friends, or out playing so he might only be spending 4-5 hours a day in the other rooms of the house where every night is a good 8 hours in bed

theres a definite split and it really needs to be sorted out. My son attends his diabetic clinic in carlow/kilkenny (who class him as living in Carlow), but has to get his eye tests done in portlaoise (as they reckon he lives in Laois).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

A friend of mine has just become unemployed and he lives in the killeshin road, graiguecullen, will he have to sign on in carlow or port laoise.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Depends on what part of the road he's on. Right at the church is Carlow, further up as your'e going to spar is in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

votecounts wrote: »
    A friend of mine has just become unemployed and he lives in the killeshin road, graiguecullen, will he have to sign on in carlow or port laoise.
    Thanks in advance.

Carlow Social Welfare go out as far as Crettyard.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/swlo_carlow.aspx

Portlaoise would cover Stradbally, Abbleyleix and that sort of area.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/swbo_portlaiose.aspx

If you have any doubts, ring them.

Your Social Welfare Office is determined by Catchment Area rather than county borders.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I always laugh at this debate.
    Back the time of the voting my address read at the bottom.
    Co Laois
    Co Carlow
    I live in Carlow even though some people in my estate say they live in Laois and thats fine by me! :pac:

Advertisement