Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Vs Laois Boundaries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

2882fcm.png

This is the border with part going towards the Kilkenny Rd missing.

All sorts of areas outside this triangle have Carlow addresses, Ballickmoyler and the like are covered by Carlow town post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

where we are is a slice of Laois which pops down between two bits of carlow. the postal address is Co Laois Via Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

A caller with a fairly strong Dublin-region accent phoned in to Ray Darcy Show on Today FM a few weeks back and introduced herself as living in Co Carlow. When Ray asked her where in Co.Carlow she said "Crettyard" :rolleyes: The studio conversation then switched to guessing which counties border Carlow, no one in the studio got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

slimjimmc wrote: »
    A caller with a fairly strong Dublin-region accent phoned in to Ray Darcy Show on Today FM a few weeks back and introduced herself as living in Co Carlow. When Ray asked her where in Co.Carlow she said "Crettyard" :rolleyes: The studio conversation then switched to guessing which counties border Carlow, no one in the studio got it right.

Could never figure out which county Crettyard is really in..part is in Kilkenny/Laois. Then Carlow is just the postal address?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

road_high wrote: »
    Could never figure out which county Crettyard is really in..part is in Kilkenny/Laois. Then Carlow is just the postal address?

It's just the areas covered by Carlow Post office rather than Port Laoise or other.

Just easier to have it directed to Carlow for sorting for delivery than Co. Laois where it would go to a different local sorting office and have to be transferred to Carlow afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Morf wrote: »
    Doyle's is now in Laois though.

We live in Carlow but our address is Wexford etc. Not always great from the point of view of public services to be living on or near county borders. Had a 'row' with Bus Eireann a few years ago, they declined to change the school bus route as it would have meant leaving one county and crossing through part of another etc., despite the fact that it would have shortened the route and facilitated more students. You could think of many other similar things as well, somehow if you're out on the periphery the local authorities don't seem to be as bothered.

But re Doyles of the Shamrock, we were just commenting this morning that I used often to call in for bits and pieces when they were in the town. Since they moved out, I have a vague memory of being there once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hilarious thread. Found it while googling where that Jamie "never mind those architects" Moran builder guy on Room to Improve last week was from. Graiguecullen, it seems. So, naturally I googled where Graiguecullen is. It's apparently in Carlow, Co. Laois according to the Google map. No Wikipedia page for the mere place Graiguecullen, but this being Ireland there is for Graiguecullen GAA. It got funnier: "The club originally competed in the Carlow championships before being expelled in 1926 following an incident in the County Final against Milford in Rathoe. In 1927, they were invited to join the Laois Championship and they have remained there ever since."

Ok, I'll bite: what exactly happened in the 1926 "incident"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

gaiscioch wrote: »

We don't speak of... the incident...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Hilarious thread. Found it while googling where that Jamie "never mind those architects" Moran builder guy on Room to Improve last week was from. Graiguecullen, it seems. So, naturally I googled where Graiguecullen is. It's apparently in Carlow, Co. Laois according to the Google map. No Wikipedia page for the mere place Graiguecullen, but this being Ireland there is for Graiguecullen GAA. It got funnier: "The club originally competed in the Carlow championships before being expelled in 1926 following an incident in the County Final against Milford in Rathoe. In 1927, they were invited to join the Laois Championship and they have remained there ever since."

"In the football championship Graiguecullen returned to Laois after almost a quarter of a century, following a tempestuous county final against Bagenalstown/Milford in 1926. The game at Rathoe, Tullow was unfinished and Graiguecullen were suspended. An appeal was lodged with the Leinster Council and the Chairman Bob O'Keeffe ruled that the club could stand suspended for two years or return to Laois. Carlow's loss, Laois's gain."

From here http://www.laoisgaa.ie/contentPage/43273/brady_takes_chair1920-1929

:)

Advertisement