Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I was fretting about whether there should be a kiss on the first date, but we got on so well that when we were walking to the station after the pub he put his arm around me and I took that as a sign and went for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Going to sound so corny, but had a really lovely moment on a first date... we had gone for a coffee, was early evening, and it started raining as we were walking down the street. It started raining, so we stopped at a bus shelter for a few mins (handful of people there too). Suddenly he grabbed my hand and said come on.. we had just walked a few paces when he stopped and gave me a kiss - I didn't mind the rain at all ;) think it was one of the nicest first kisses I ever had :p:o

Date soon. Will be leaving my house in maybe 5 mins. Getting very nervous. Woo woo!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Well, count me back in the club. The guy i was seeing rang this evening and called it off. Said he really likes me but his ex texted out of the blue on Sunday and it messed his head and made him realise he's not ready to go out with someone else (well that's what he chose to tell me anyway)

Will cast the net out again soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well, count me back in the club. The guy i was seeing rang this evening and called it off. Said he really likes me but his ex texted out of the blue on Sunday and it messed his head and made him realise he's not ready to go out with someone else (well that's what he chose to tell me anyway)

:(:(:(:(

Onwards and upwards missy!!

• Advertisement

His loss vixen ;)

Thanks Lar, I said to him I preferred finding out now rather than being strung along. I know I didn't mess up so gonna be bummed today and that's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thanks Lar, I said to him I preferred finding out now rather than being strung along. I know I didn't mess up so gonna be bummed today and that's it!

Good woman! :)

Very true... at least he was honest about it and told you the craic. Kinda sucks, but tis worse to be ditched without explanation :mad:
    Get back fishin' ;)

Date soon. Will be leaving my house in maybe 5 mins. Getting very nervous. Woo woo!

This date 1 or date 2 :cool: ;)

Have fun! :p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Minyan

Don't give up hope just yet Vixen... I had a few nice dates and some not so nice dates from guys on POF and then I met my boyfriend on it and we're together just over 2 years and I've never looked back... Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

missbelle wrote: »
    Going to sound so corny, but had a really lovely moment on a first date... we had gone for a coffee, was early evening, and it started raining as we were walking down the street. It started raining, so we stopped at a bus shelter for a few mins (handful of people there too). Suddenly he grabbed my hand and said come on.. we had just walked a few paces when he stopped and gave me a kiss - I didn't mind the rain at all ;) think it was one of the nicest first kisses I ever had :p:o

Ah, the ould "is she giving me the right signals, I think she has" confusion and the girl thinking "will he kiss me now, I've been waiting only a bloody hour". Then I think "feck this anway, enough chat" and its a great feeling when it's reciprocated, well that's how the chick flicks go anyway.

Sure you where at a bus stop and he probably thought, if I get one in now, 10 will come in a row! :D

Think I might be in right place to start looking again soon, not really been ready for a long time. Looking forward to the emotional rollercoaster!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Ah, the ould "is she giving me the right signals, I think she has" confusion and the girl thinking "will he kiss me now, I've been waiting only a bloody hour". Then I think "feck this anway, enough chat" and its a great feeling when it's reciprocated, well that's how the chick flicks go anyway.

Sure you where at a bus stop and he probably thought, if I get one in now, 10 will come in a row! :D

Think I might be in right place to start looking again soon, not really been ready for a long time. Looking forward to the emotional rollercoaster!

Yea I thought the date was going great, good conversation and really relaxed, plus he was even nicer looking in real life in my opinion.. but I just was a little worried in case he didn't think the same :o
    I dunno, was just lovely the way he went about it, maybe I was just so relieved that he liked me too, plus he was a really nice kisser :D
    Didn't work out in the end, but I kinda smile when I think of that evening!
    I'm such a girl :p

Aw that's good that you are back in the "place"... sure what have ye got to lose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Date is tomorrow after work. :D Gonna be the longest day ever looking busy! :pac:

I've been asked out on a date, but for a few reasons it just doesn't suit me this week :(
    He seems keen (and nice), so hope we can arrange something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Larianne wrote: »
    Defo on the first date. If it doesn't happen on the first date, I would feel he wasn't into me.

To be honest It wouldn't matter to me if we kissed on the first date or not. Even If we clicked great or had chemistry chances are we'd kiss if not then wait till another date perhaps but often not gone that way for me if having a first date often turns out platonic...loose touch and then well no kissy wissy.
    I wouldn't let it stop me from wanting to kiss someone or leading that way if we didn't the first date and do so a few dates later. If he is interested he is if he isn't he isn't. No big deal but you can tell like from the date and afterwards whether he is or not not just from not having kissed you or not! Though I see what you mean if he didn't kiss you means he not interested but shouldn't matter in my opinion. He might be just trying to be polite, if he is keen enough he will come back to you and kiss you next time!

Though once have kissed a guy on a night out before going on a date with him so basically kissed on the first date and a couple of dates after and so on until we broke up.

Though you can tell sometimes from a kiss if its real or not if it just a case of kissing for the sake of it. Or just kissing someone and it means something or it doesn't even with chemistry. Or perhaps kissing someone and you know that it could lead to something more special you kind of know....even if it means its a good bye kiss. You can tell straight away if its going to work out or not!...Maybe that's just me....

So kissing on a first date or latter dates varies depending how the date goes, how you click with them, if there is chemistry or if you want to see them again that lead to something like relationship. Go for it if it feels right if it doesn't then don't! Nothing stopping you from kissing someone if it feels right!

• Advertisement

doovdela wrote: »
    Though once have kissed a guy on a night out before going on a date with him so basically kissed on the first date and a couple of dates after and so on until we broke up.

Do you mean that you met someone on a night out, kissed, swapped numbers/arranged a date either then or after texting/phoning the next day or so?
    That is generally how my dates came about (before trying online dating), through meeting someone in a pub/club, I just found it hard to meet guys otherwise. I know people say they meet people through work, or joining clubs, or just striking up conversation in random situations - that just never seems to happen to me :p

Do you mean that you met someone on a night out, kissed, swapped numbers/arranged a date either then or after texting/phoning the next day or so?
    That is generally how my dates came about (before trying online dating), through meeting someone in a pub/club, I just found it hard to meet guys otherwise. I know people say they meet people through work, or joining clubs, or just striking up conversation in random situations - that just never seems to happen to me :p

Ya that's pretty much it. Have had more dating success that way than online dating. Though I have tried the online dating thing while in college and a few months ago but that didn't work out for me. So much so I have had friends set me up but that didn't work out either.

Though I understand what you mean it has gotten harder to meet guys on the pub/club scene. Lately have met guys through friends or friends of friends a lot of the time the past few years.

Through work and joining clubs or in college is the norm I suppose but its possible to meet someone randomly not being out on the pub/club scene. It happens but not to everyone. I suppose you have to make it happen in a way. Though a lot of my friends either met their partner either online through social networking sites, through a friend, on a night out or in school/college or work. Vast majority of my family met their partners on nights out, at work or through a friend or in college.

I think its a matter of breaking the ice some how in general situations even if striking up a conversation could be just random or bazaar chat. Though if you can strike up on something general, even saying Hi can break the ice if you taken to a stranger...complementing them or just asking their name or something about the situation you are in like a shop or something strike up a conversation on that. Not necessary try chat up lines, something simple or just make someone laugh!?

I'm quite chatty and will strike up conversation with people, but when it comes to actually transitioning that to organising a date I haven't a clue :D
    Then again, I've had friends tell me someone I know fancies me and I've been oblivious to the signs :cool: So maybe I need to be more proactive in everyday life!

Ya that's happened to me a few times either I wasn't really at all that interested and and never knew they liked me in that way until a friend points it out or just didn't know someone likes me and missed the boat if I missed the signal then that was it. I couldn't really act on it then if I realised they liked me that way just better off as friends after.

Hard to know what to do sometimes even for the most chatty or shyest of us! With the conversation thing if it comes up in conversation great but if you want it to bring it it in from a random or simple thing to say!

Try to go with the flow missbelle, maybe not put pressure on yourself to try and stand out to guys to show you want more though being coy gets no one nowhere but showing interest in a flirty friendly way can help. Be yourself that's all you can be!

doovdela wrote: »
    Ya that's happened to me a few times either I wasn't really at all that interested and and never knew they liked me in that way until a friend points it out or just didn't know someone likes me and missed the boat if I missed the signal then that was it. I couldn't really act on it then if I realised they liked me that way just better off as friends after.

Hard to know what to do sometimes even for the most chatty or shyest of us! With the conversation thing if it comes up in conversation great but if you want it to bring it it in from a random or simple thing to say!

Try to go with the flow missbelle, maybe not put pressure on yourself to try and stand out to guys to show you want more though being coy gets no one nowhere but showing interest in a flirty friendly way can help. Be yourself that's all you can be!

I know, well it's not really that I'm being coy, it's that I usually don't expect them to fancy me. I've quite low self-esteem really, and let it ruin chances with genuinely nice people! But overall I'm happy in my skin, and know I scrub up OK and have a nice personality...so I do remain quietly hopeful :D

Ya I see what you mean. I wouldn't expect them to either!

That's half the battle if you are happy in your own skin then that's great. I think confidence is a major thing too, if you got it show it if not try to settle the nerves a bit and not care what others think. If you believe in yourself you can achieve anything!

Having a nice personality will win any guys heart over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Im shockingly oblivious to people being interested in me, I need it in giant neon letters or I dont notice. A few hours later I may realise that girl that walked over and started talking to me before pinching my ass might have been trying to chat me up.

I think its good to try move away from the mindset of why would they be interested to why wouldnt they be interested (in a non cocky way if possible). If far from perfect but since I started looking at my positives rather than negativies im far more confident witht he oposite sex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm quite chatty and will strike up conversation with people, but when it comes to actually transitioning that to organising a date I haven't a clue :D
    Then again, I've had friends tell me someone I know fancies me and I've been oblivious to the signs :cool: So maybe I need to be more proactive in everyday life!

Same myself in regards to both of them. Actually, I'm not as chatty though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have to say I would be the same in terms of being oblivious. Even when someone is being really obvious I tend to rationalize every reason of why there actions are in an innocent friendly manner as opposed to something else

Recently however went the opposite way on two occasions and thought I was picking up the signals but got it horribly wrong.

C'est la vie:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

So had our 3rd date last night (went to see a movie).

At thee end of it I asked her what would she rather, a 4th date or to be my girlfriend. She said ..........

TO BE MY GIRLFRIEND :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement