Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yeah, I actually bought some chocolate slim-fast the other day, for this specific purpose, but I haven't had the heart to bring it into work yet, because of the slagging I'd get. :) I also had to wash and run straight into back to back meetings today, so just didn't have the time. Crazy afternoon.

I know that feeling have the same going on this week myself :(. People should really thinkg about running when planning meetings and work stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Yeah, I actually bought some chocolate slim-fast the other day, for this specific purpose, but I haven't had the heart to bring it into work yet, because of the slagging I'd get (watch it, Keith123!). :) I also had to wash and run straight into back to back meetings today, so just didn't have the time. Crazy afternoon.

Yeah well, if you didn't spend all your time on Boards.ie you'd have plenty of time to wash yourself :) Oh and I can vouch for him not eating his lunch till 6pm as his stomach was growling all afternoon!

Sorry Krusyt couldn't resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,499 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    Another trip to the bank in Clondalkin (this time to try and rid myself of those damn Bulgarian sheckles), so a perfect opportunity to get the recovery run ticked off, even if it meant stopping mid-run for 15 minutes. You'd think they'd get a lot of sports enthusiasts around Clondalkin, based on the number of tracksuits, but I still get strange looks when queuing in the bank in a pair of shorts. Note to self: check shoulders for spittle and snot rockets before entering financial institutions. Unfortunately, those lousy bankers don't recognize Elbonia Bulgaria as a real country, so I returned to work not-empty handed. Who will take my sheckles?!

Still fiddling with the watch, and noticed the 'training effect' which measures your activity levels, by HR/age/weight/pace etc. It rated this run as a 2.2 (Maintaining fitness). For comparison, yesterday's steady run, was a 3.8 (Improving -> Highly improving). So will keep an eye on this new info with interest. Unfortunately, it must be somewhat skewed, when your heart rate statistics are a little derailed by dodgy Garmin HR readings.

Summary: 6 miles (with a break) in 45 mins, @7:33/mile, HR=~127

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

dodgy Garmin HR readings.

Washing the bits of the hr strap with all the lines in warm soapy water, giving it a fair scrub works to get rid of those high spikes for the first couple of miles. Lasts for a few days then has to be repeated. Now that's for the old strap that was leather/rubber for half way round your chest.

Another way to get rid of the first 2 miles spikes if you need to is to do a few hard strides, presumably working a bit of a sweat up and getting a better contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Another way to get rid of the first 2 miles spikes if you need to is to do a few hard strides, presumably working a bit of a sweat up and getting a better contact.

I've been spitting on my hand and rubbing it on under the contacts. :o

• Advertisement

Top tips! (except for the spitting one. That's just disgusting. :p).

Another top tip: Put a bottle of good beer in the fridge. Do your core strength and weights. By the time you're finished, your bottle of beer will be nice and cold (and earned!). This evening: 19 x 15 core strength, and 19 x 2 x 4 weights (and a bottle of beer).

Top tips! (except for the spitting one. That's just disgusting. :p).

Needs must! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

better top tip:
    put two bottles of beer in fridge. one for medicinal purposes and one for the all important recovery.

Today: 14 mile easy run
    Plan was for 13 miles, but I'm such a slave to the 1,000 mile challenge that I had to get an extra mile in.... Ok, the truth is, I didn't plan my route very well, took the wrong road, and turned back for home too late. I had planned to follow the Nangor Road towards town along the Naas Road, but somehow switched to the Long Mile Road, and managed to hit nearly every primary school, at mass exodus o'clock. Hit Dolphin's Barn and looped over to the canal which I followed all the way back to work. The usual scum-bags flinging stones from the other side of the canal, but as soon as I stopped, they ran away (even though there were three of them, and we were separated by a significant body of water. Maybe they should have stayed in school, instead of loitering under bridges). Couldn't believe that the canal was freezing over. Quite therapeutic watching the swans and ducks breaking the ice.

Summary: 14 miles in 1:40, @7:09/mile, HR=133, TE=3.0 (improving).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

**Note to self: when racing Krusty, throw stones at him and he'll stop and let you run away**

• Advertisement

**Note to self: when racing Krusty, throw stones at him and he'll stop and let you run away**
    :)

I only stopped because there was a body of water separating us. There's no way I'd face-off three hooded 16 year olds in Clondalkin otherwise!

:)

I only stopped because there was a body of water separating us. There's no way I'd face-off three hooded 16 year olds in Clondalkin otherwise!

Did you not tear off your top exposing the singlet with a big 'K' on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Still fiddling with the watch, and noticed the 'training effect' which measures your activity levels, by HR/age/weight/pace etc. It rated this run as a 2.2 (Maintaining fitness). For comparison, yesterday's steady run, was a 3.8 (Improving -> Highly improving). So will keep an eye on this new info with interest. Unfortunately, it must be somewhat skewed, when your heart rate statistics are a little derailed by dodgy Garmin HR readings.

Really interested to hear how you get on with the 910xt cause I really like the idea of a barometer to measure height for the odd bit of hiking I do. As a matter of interest did it come with a new HRM or is it an older one you're using with it?
    Another top tip: Put a bottle of good beer in the fridge. Do your core strength and weights. By the time you're finished, your bottle of beer will be nice and cold (and earned!). This evening: 19 x 15 core strength, and 19 x 2 x 4 weights (and a bottle of beer).

I like your choice of beverage as I'm a small share-holder in that fine brewing company, in fact I'm about to enjoy a bottle of 77 lager with some grub :)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Did you not tear off your top exposing the singlet with a big 'K' on it?
    My Karaoke days are long behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

My Karaoke days are long behind me.

You should wear your Leinster medals and shout ' do you know who I am?
    , do you know who I am?

opus wrote: »
    Really interested to hear how you get on with the 910xt cause I really like the idea of a barometer to measure height for the odd bit of hiking I do. As a matter of interest did it come with a new HRM or is it an older one you're using with it?
    Well, so far the barometric readings have been entirely underwhelming (though I expected that, based on the feedback I read on the Garmin forums). I'm hoping that it's something they can fix with a firmware update, but right now, it's pretty crap. It's like the HR monitor. For the first mile, it's a completely random set of readings, but after that it settles down (I think this is where the watch starts to ignore the barometric readings, and sticks to the GPS elevation calculations.
    opus wrote: »
    I like your choice of beverage as I'm a small share-holder in that fine brewing company, in fact I'm about to enjoy a bottle of 77 lager with some grub :)
    As am I. Currently enjoying a 5am Saint. 5 bottles for €10 in my local offy.

Today: 19 miles with 10 miles @PMP
    A little nervous as always before this run, but happy to say I ran it far better than the 8 mile PMP run two weeks ago. Conditions were similar, with a westerly wind, which meant I'd have some easy downhill stretches and a couple of nasty drags with a head-wind, but sure it all builds stamina. A couple of improvements: at around mile 5, I grabbed a bottle of water from a shop and drank it on the run, instead of stopping to drink it (and cooling down), before the PMP miles (good practice for Boston's cups too). Also, I had HR showing on the Garmin, and regularly eased back the pace to drop the HR below 150bpm, which meant I hit the last mile or two in good shape and the whole thing felt more controlled. The last half mile was still very tough, but I definitely felt in much better shape than I did two weeks ago and on the back of my highest ever weekly mileage is a good sign.

PMP miles: 10 miles in 1:00:58 @6:06/mile, HR=154 (bring on Ballycotton!).
    Total: 19.1 miles in 2:08, @6:43/mile, HR=146, Training Effect: 4.4 (highly improving).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That's savage running Krusty and a great session, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Savage running KC you deserve that beer now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Great run Krusty. 10 miles in a touch over the hour during a 19+ run is some nice running. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Holy crap, that's awesome running! Highly improving indeed, positively Abhainnesque!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Glad it's not just me thinks that's something special

Standards are pretty tough on here lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Well, so far the barometric readings have been entirely underwhelming (though I expected that, based on the feedback I read on the Garmin forums). I'm hoping that it's something they can fix with a firmware update, but right now, it's pretty crap. It's like the HR monitor. For the first mile, it's a completely random set of readings, but after that it settles down (I think this is where the watch starts to ignore the barometric readings, and sticks to the GPS elevation calculations.

As am I. Currently enjoying a 5am Saint. 5 bottles for €10 in my local offy.

That's a bit disappointing to hear, like you say hopefully they'll sort it via the s/w sooner rather than later.

Good deal there on the Brewdog beers, one of my locals has a pretty good selection of beers and have a pick & mix of 4x500ml for €10 so I'm working my way through. Have to have something to look forward to after the Sunday long run :)

That was some run you logged today btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

PMP miles: 10 miles in 1:00:58 @6:06/mile, HR=154 (bring on Ballycotton!).
    Total: 19.1 miles in 2:08, @6:43/mile, HR=146, Training Effect: 4.4 (highly improving).

savage !

Cheers folks. Unfortunately, I've been down this road before, and have done this very same session previously. Feeling a lot more positive about this marathon cycle though. Hopefully I've learned something from my past mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great running! Glad I didn't join you on this session. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thats a bloody class run KC, showing how it's done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hopefully I've learned something from my past mistakes.

Per Clownzen:

"Moshe: So did you say that the clown does not make mistakes?
    Bernie: No, because if the clown trips somewhere, well that’s not a mistake, they just tripped somewhere. But most people, if they trip somewhere where they are in the spotlight, they feel embarrassed like they made a mistake, whereas the clown- they tripped! Or when the clown is making big proclamations, everybody takes it, Oh they are making big proclamations. But if you are not a clown, if you are not empowering that aspect of you, then you’re making big proclamations, then people will ohh….dismissive gestures...."

Krusty, I just thought you should know. ;)
    Any way, amazing running you are doing. Seriously amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Mr Krustacean, I have a question I've been meaning to ask you.

I've noticed that you take gels and water during your long training runs.
    It's a subject I've wondered about myself, I've been advised to not take on board much (if any) of either during training to train the body to use what it has and utilise fat stores etc but I'm not convinced on the approach.
    Have you given it any thought or do you just do what you've always done - and it obviously ain't broke ....
    Do you take gels at the same rate in training as you would in a race?
    Maybe you just like the taste of them?

Yours in sports nutrition,
    PK

• Advertisement

Hey PK, I don't generally take anything but water on long runs (15+ miles) and won't take anything under 15 miles. The general exception is PMP runs. I reckon because they are a race simulation, the quality of the run is more important than the benefits of running lean. Also, as I've found, gels are something that take a bit of getting used to and need to be practiced just as much as any other facet of the training plan, even if you find a brand that really suits you (SIS Isotonic gels in my case).

I don't take them at the same rate as a race either. For yesterday's 19 miles, I took one about 20 minutes before the pmp miles and took another gel then 6 miles into the PMP run (after around 13 miles total). In a marathon, I'll probably take a gel every 5 miles, and just take water from the aid stations (skipping the super-mega-boost Ultra Px5 mega-wonder sports drink).

Advertisement