Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Cheers Krusty, sounds good. It pretty much matches my own feelings on the PMP runs too.

Thanks
    PK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Morning: 4 mile recovery run
    Afternoon: 6 mile recovery run

This morning's run was a toughy as the body was still quite stiff from yesterday's exertions (did two sets of P&D's advanced core/strength work to help loosen up after the gruelling run). The afternoon wasn't quite as bad. Didn't have time to make lunch this morning (because of the 4 miles) and the nearest Subway is conveniently 3 miles away, so I threw a bag on my back and headed to Adamstown. The €6 deal meant a nice cool bottle of water at the mid-point, before heading back to work, sandwich in tow. It was like playing hopscotch with all the dog and horse excrement, but nice empty fresh tarmac roads otherwise.

Summary: 10.1 miles in 1:17, @7:37/mile, HR=~129, TE=2.3 (Maintaining)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

PMP miles: 10 miles in 1:00:58 @6:06/mile, HR=154 (bring on Ballycotton!).

Great run - setting down a marker there!

kaymin wrote: »
    Great run - setting down a marker there!
    I've already popped my sub-60 cherry. It's all about the t-shirt for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

I've already popped my sub-60 cherry. It's all about the t-shirt for me. :)

You've every chance based on that form. I'm hoping the taper will bring a dramatic turnaround in my prospects :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

kaymin wrote: »
    You've every chance based on that form. I'm hoping the taper will bring a dramatic turnaround in my prospects :rolleyes:
    Sure we have plenty time yet. Just keep accumulating those six-minute miles. Get up to 6 or 7 in a row before the race, and you'll fly it.

Today: 11 miles with 5 miles @15k-HMP Pace
    Absolute blinder of a day, hammering the crap out of my workday, and nailing this session. I figured this was going to be really tough after Sunday's hard slog, but on the contrary, I think the hard work from Sunday's run carried over into today's session and made the pace feel a little bit easier. From my previous tempo run where I managed to grind out 4 miles @5:50, I figured I'd make that my target pace for today's five miles. Only had a small window between meetings and work activity, so I chugged a bottle of Lucozade sport, grabbed my gear and hit the road. I've been guilty of finding slightly easier routes to do my tempo runs, so this time I headed to the pancake-flat Fettercairn/Tallaght area to find some level ground.

As usual, I took off like a hot snot, and the Garmin was registering 5:00/mile. Slow down, slow-down for fricks sake. Eventually, the numbers started to reel in, back to a more manageable 5:40/mile and ultimately 5:45/mile. I found a two mile loop around Fettercairn/Cheeverstown that's absolutely perfect for tempo runs, as long as the kids are in school (after that, you become #1 target!). Mile ticked off after mile, and I was waiting for the payback for running faster than target, but it didn't come. Sure, the last half mile was tough, but it's supposed to be.

Tempo: 5 miles in 28:45, @5:45/mile, HR=161

I think the new Garmin may be running a little hot, so let's call it 5:50/mile. Still very happy with how it went. Unfortunately, I didn't really take into account the distance back to the office, so ended up running an extra mile, and having to leg it back for a customer meeting, so no warm-down (6:27/mile for the 3.2 mile journey back to the office). I'll pay for that tomorrow, during my 15 mile run. Seriously, these P&D guys are sadists and I must be a masochistic clown.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:10, @6:21/mile, HR=~150, TE=4.2 (highly improving)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great running how's the 910xt working out, thinking of investing for the extra battery life which puts me off the 610 - is it bulky to wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Tempo: 5 miles in 28:45, @5:45/mile, HR=161

I think the new Garmin may be running a little hot, so let's call it 5:50/mile. Seriously, these P&D guys are sadists and I must be a masochistic clown.

You MIGHT be a masochistic clown...but you DEFINITELY are a modest one. :) It's those oversized shoes that make you so fast, isn't it? ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great running how's the 910xt working out, thinking of investing for the extra battery life which puts me off the 610 - is it bulky to wear?
    Lovin' the watch. Not bulky to wear at all. You really wouldn't notice it there.... But.... There are issues. The price of being an early adopter. It's still a little buggy in a number of areas. I'd hold out for a month or two, in case there are hardware specific fixes (e.g. the barometric altimeter). Spin by at some stage if you want to take it for a test drive around Shanganagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Spin by at some stage if you want to take it for a test drive around Shanganagh.

You'd try anything to climb that 1k challenge table :p - do you want until I'm back doing 15's ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You'd try anything to climb that 1k challenge table :p - do you want until I'm back doing 15's ;)
    I've started wearing two Garmins, and logging the miles on both watches. It still counts, right? :)

Here's an example of when things go wrong. 2.5 mile run, 46 calories (!), average HR 175 (!), I live 89m below sea-level (!), Training Effect = 1 (minor) (!). It couldn't have gotten the data more wrong. So still some wrinkles to be ironed out. Also during my PMP run on Sunday, I didn't want to risk the workout using a new watch, so I wore the 405 at the same time, and the difference for the pmp miles was around 100m/20 seconds. Not massive in the grand scheme of things, I'm just not sure which watch was the more accurate one.

Today: 15 Mile medium long run (thanks BeepBeep!)
    Decided to see how close I could get to the Papal Cross from Clondalkin and back to work, on a 15 mile run. The answer is: all the way (I had to run a few rotations around the cross itself just to bring the watch to 7.5 miles, before turning back (I'm sure some of the local dog-walkers thought I was completing some satanic ritual, running around the cross in an anti-clockwise direction)). Running past a large herd of deer, the temptation to shout 'FENTON!' at the top of my voice was almost more than I could bear. Nice to meet Aimman briefly on the canal, out for his lunch-time constitutional run. With 81 miles in the legs over the last seven days, the legs are tired, so I'll be glad to take my easy 6 tomorrow, and no more speed-work for the rest of the week. A reward of sorts!

Summary: 15 miles in 1:48, @7:14/mile, HR=~137, TE=3.0 (Improving).

Today: 6 Mile recovery run
    The tough mileage/sessions over the last week finally caught up with me, so it was a sore, slow outing to Corkagh Park. Felt like a slow shuffle, and at times, the watch was showing 9 minute/mile pace. Hopefully will feel a little sharper tomorrow, but not to worry. Easy miles until Sunday. Also have to work out my schedule for the next few weeks to minimize the training impact of Donadea 50k next week.

Summary: 6 miles in 49 mins, @8:09/mile, HR=~120

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

With 81 miles in the legs over the last seven days, the legs are tired, so I'll be glad to take my easy 6 tomorrow, and no more speed-work for the rest of the week. A reward of sorts!(Improving).

You didnt look tired after 81 miles this week, fair play to you. Next time, I'll try to keep up for a whole mile :rolleyes:

Aimman wrote: »
    You didnt look tired after 81 miles this week, fair play to you. Next time, I'll try to keep up for a whole mile :rolleyes:
    Sure it took me 10 minutes to catch up with you. You were pegging it. Bring that form to Donadea and we have a race on our hands!

Tonight: 20 x 15 core / 20 x 4 x 2 sets weights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Nice running krusty. I did the 2 mile loop around cheeverstown at Christmas. Lovely flat surface made for fast running.

Plus one on 5am beer

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Nice running krusty. I did the 2 mile loop around cheeverstown at Christmas. Lovely flat surface made for fast running.
    Plus one on 5am beer
    Thanks. Fortunately, one of my nearby pubs (Hollands in Bray) will shortly have both 5am Saint and Punk IPA on draught, so happy days! I have another couple of weeks of enjoying beer, before my self-imposed prohibition. :)

Today: 13.1 miles easy
    Tiredness persists, so even though I found myself in the superb running surroundings of Lucan Desmesne (who knew that the River Liffey could be beautiful?) I found this run a bit of a struggle. A crazy work week, hectic running schedule and poor sleep have left their toll. Time to recuperate, with some cold loved ones.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:35, @7:17/mile, HR=136, TE=Improving

Today: 10k recovery run
    Plan was a handy 10k recovery run to pick up the car from the drinking establishment, from whence it was left last night. However, I left my departure a little late (possibly related to aforementioned drinking establishment) so had to pick up the pace a bit, to retrieve vehicle to convey youngest offspring to gymnasium. Feeling a little more recovered today, proving once again that beer cures all ills.

Summary: 10k in 45 mins, @7:20/mile, HR=~132

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Today: 10k recovery run
    Plan was a handy 10k recovery run to pick up the car from the drinking establishment, from whence it was left last night. However, I left my departure a little late (possibly related to aforementioned drinking establishment) so had to pick up the pace a bit, to retrieve vehicle to convey youngest offspring to gymnasium. Feeling a little more recovered today, proving once again that beer cures all ills.Summary: 10k in 45 mins, @7:20/mile, HR=~132
    I think i'll need to try this in the coming days, Its a part of my training thats not going well at the moment. The volume of Beer intake has almost been zero in the past couple of weeks. Is there a min amout that I should try to introduce into the plan, Thinking maybe 1-2 session a week would be ok ? :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    I think i'll need to try this in the coming days, Its a part of my training thats not going well at the moment. The volume of Beer intake has almost been zero in the past couple of weeks. Is there a min amout that I should try to introduce into the plan, Thinking maybe 1-2 session a week would be ok ? :)
    If you're just getting back into it after a prolonged break, you should really ease yourself back in. Certainly no more than one easy session per week. Over time, you'll build up your stamina, and then you can consider introducing a second session. Personally, I believe the benefits of three sessions per week are questionable, as in my view they will leave you fatigued, but that might be just an age thing. A younger man (or woman) might be capable of more. Just ensure you have adequate recovery after each outing, and if in doubt, back off. Better to under-do it, rather than over-doing it, as the consequences can be far-reaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

If you're just getting back into it after a prolonged break, you should really ease yourself back in. Certainly no more than one easy session per week. Over time, you'll build up your stamina, and then you can consider introducing a second session. Personally, I believe the benefits of three sessions per week are questionable, as in my view they will leave you fatigued, but that might be just an age thing. A younger man (or woman) might be capable of more. Just ensure you have adequate recovery after each outing, and if in doubt, back off. Better to under-do it, rather than over-doing it, as the consequences can be far-reaching.

'Alcohol, the cause of and solution to, all of life's problems' Homer Simpson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

take krustys advice shels , i for one got savage beer splints after coming back with too much too soon.

Today: 18.5 mile hill/road/mountain run
    Another night out (ill-advised back to back sessions?) to celebrate a buddy's 40th birthday and I wasn't in the mood for a road run, so I grabbed my stuff and hit the road in the direction of Johnny Foxes. 9 Miles of climb later I rounded the side of Prince William's Seat, following the Wicklow Way to Curtlestown, delighted to be away from suburbia and enjoying the spectacular views. A 400m drop took me down to Enniskerry, before I punished myself with another climb to Carrigologan, before heading for home to wrap up my first 80 mile calendar week. Uploaded my run to Garmin Connect, and 'lo and behold, Dumbo the elephant. Obviously something strange going on in my subconscious.

192492.jpg

Summary: 18.5 miles in 2:26, @7:55/mile, HR=132

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Very cool!!

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    Just a handy couple of miles to recover from the elephant run. A little stiff from all the 'up', but could be worse. This week is supposed to be a recovery week, with a step-down in mileage, but it's not really realistically going to happen, with Donadea 50k on Saturday. I'll front-load the week though, and try and get a couple of easy days before the super-long run. The entrants list reads like a who's who of Irish ultra running (albeit with some names noticeably missing) so it's going to be a really exciting race to just participate in, if only to be lapped by the front-runners.

Summary: 6 miles in 46:28, @7:43/mile, HR=@130

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'll front-load the week though, and try and get a couple of easy days before the super-long run. The entrants list reads like a who's who of Irish ultra running (albeit with some names noticeably missing) so it's going to be a really exciting race to just participate in, if only to be lapped by the front-runners.

Being lapped by the front runners is perfectly acceptable, however I'm going to end up being lapped by a Clown...If I tell people that then it's surely going to denigrate my 50kms of effort!!

belcarra wrote: »
    Being lapped by the front runners is perfectly acceptable, however I'm going to end up being lapped by a Clown...If I tell people that then it's surely going to denigrate my 50kms of effort!!
    In the event that I am forced to pass you, as we make our merry way around Donadea, if we both face backwards, technically it will be you who is lapping me, and we can avoid all of that belittling denigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Nice elephant - there is huge potential in drawing animals/shapes with our garmin connect trackers, this requires further thought!

Advertisement