Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Borgen [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 08-01-2012 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watch this last night on BBC4?
    Its following the same format as Forbrydelsen II with 2 episodes on a Sunday night repeated on Wednesday.
    Its pretty compelling stuff TBH, and a welcome replacement for The Killing II.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I started watching it thinking "politics meh", but soon got hooked.

I wasn't too impressed with the sub-titles though, as I'm fairly certain that piss piss piss wasn't supposed to translate as sh1t sh1t sh1t.

The BBC sub-title folks got a roasting for the way they translated swear-words in the Killing, because no matter what Danish swear-word was used, even a mild one, it was translated as "fuck".:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

I liked it too. Good to see Strange from the Killing II resurected

The Guardian are running a blog on it although you need to watch the episodes first.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/jan/07/borgen-episodes-one-two

brian_t wrote: »
    I liked it too. Good to see Strange from the Killing II resurected

The Guardian are running a blog on it although you need to watch the episodes first.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/jan/07/borgen-episodes-one-two

I see that Sarah Lundt's previous partner , Meyer, is now working in the TV studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I started watching it thinking "politics meh", but soon got hooked.

Exactly the same as me. I only started watching it because I heard such great things about The Killing (I've only seen the US version) but almost from the start I was hooked. I'll have to get the box sets of The Killing now.

One thing I felt and mabye I wasn't following it properly but at the end of the second episode there was a feeling of closure to the main plots of both episodes. What was the "hook" to make you tune in next week.
    I do intend to watch the entire series.

• Advertisement

NBC will produce a remake of Borgen with a pilot being developed by David Hudgins and Jason Katims of Friday Night Lights fame.

So something to look forward to. :rolleyes:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/nbc-to-adapt-danish-drama-borgen-with-fnls-david-hudgins-and-jason-katims/

One thing I felt and mabye I wasn't following it properly but at the end of the second episode there was a feeling of closure to the main plots of both episodes. What was the "hook" to make you tune in next week.
    I do intend to watch the entire series.

The implication that the next 8 episodes of this first series will contain a lot of back-stabbing, skulduggery and dirty doings.

NBC will produce a remake of Borgen with a pilot being developed by David Hudgins and Jason Katims of Friday Night Lights fame.

So something to look forward to. :rolleyes:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/nbc-to-adapt-danish-drama-borgen-with-fnls-david-hudgins-and-jason-katims/

They'll just turn it into the usual formulaic crap. I think I prefer foreign sub-titled efforts these days, just to get something different.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think I prefer foreign sub-titled efforts these days, just to get something different.

I don't mind the sub-titles but you have to give them your undivided attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Haven't seen the original Killing (only the US version) but really liking this show.

Not sure if its realistic though as everyone is too good looking to be involved in politics. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

McSpud wrote: »
    Haven't seen the original Killing (only the US version) but really liking this show.

Not sure if its realistic though as everyone is too good looking to be involved in politics. :P
    I think the characters are quite realistic, look at Bent Sejro with his elbow patches.
    Notice also the proportion of female politicians compared with here, thats the positive discrimination policy being shown as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Meant to set the box for this but forgot. Is it repeated?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Meant to set the box for this but forgot. Is it repeated?

Yes BBC4 tomorrow night at midnight. (Wednesday night / Thursday morning) 00.00 to 01.00 and 01.00 to 02.00

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think the characters are quite realistic, look at Bent Sejro with his elbow patches.
    Notice also the proportion of female politicians compared with here, thats the positive discrimination policy being shown as well.

I suppose if it was Ireland the Bent character (Danish Biffo?) would be the PM & Birgitte would get Children ministry. I can't remember which party he was from (maybe Freedom) but he seemed be a Healy Rae type character.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I really liked the first two episodes, but also felt the closure alluded to earlier. Will I stick it out for 4 more weeks? Probably as it's January, and my beloved Justified is not back until sometime in February. I don't know if I will be as enthusiastic for a second season of this, (already made and shown in Denmark, as it happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

OT but Justified is back on 17 Jan in US if that's what you're waiting for ;)

Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Borgen, hope it continues the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Poochie05 wrote: »
    OT but Justified is back on 17 Jan in US if that's what you're waiting for ;)

That's quality forumage, much obliged.
    :D

I mean, Borgen is greaaattt. Pisse! Pisse! Pisse!

This is developing into a quality show with slick writing & quality acting.

Its mentioned in the Guardian blog but whats with the master bedroom being next to the kitchen? All government meetings happen in the same room, its even used for dinner & press conferences. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hey guys,

I managed to find the first episode online but cant seem to find any more.

Does anyone have a link to the rest of the series?

That would be great if someone did!

Thanks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Really excellent series! I do have one question for people who saw the last two episodes though:

Why did Phillip
    ask for a divorce? I thought they weren't actually married as such?
    Of course it could just be poor translation from the Danish.

I think I'll have to order the first 2 seasons online and watch them all again. I'm hooked on Borgen! :pac:

Really excellent series! I do have one question for people who saw the last two episodes though:

Why did Phillip
    ask for a divorce? I thought they weren't actually married as such?
    Of course it could just be poor translation from the Danish.

I think I'll have to order the first 2 seasons online and watch them all again. I'm hooked on Borgen! :pac:

They are married.
    Her name is Birgitte Nyborg Christensen.
    His name is Philip Christensen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019chkh

You mention watching the first 2 seasons again. BBC4 has only shown the first season.
    The second season will be on later this year.
    A third season will be shown in Denmark in the autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

They are married.
    Her name is Birgitte Nyborg Christensen.
    His name is Philip Christensen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019chkh

Yes, but in the episode with the President of Turgisia it's mentioned a few times that the evening is like the wedding they never had (the dad even says "Pretend to be married" at one point, to which Laura says, "They ARE married..... Aren't they?" and they avoid answering her :pac:).
    You mention watching the first 2 seasons again. BBC4 has only shown the first season.
    The second season will be on later this year.
    A third season will be shown in Denmark in the autumn.

I know, I meant watch the first again before seeing the second on dvd.

Comming soon but no air-date yet.
    Bron/Broen (The Bridge)

If you were ever going to bet on a TV show's success, this is the one: the world of Wallander meets that of Lund. This new show, soon to appear on BBC4, is a Danish-Swedish co-production. A woman's body is found near the border between Denmark and Sweden and police join forces to hunt the killer. The series has been praised for its cinematic atmosphere.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jan/14/borgen-danish-tv-thrillers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEaG4Dw3FE (Opening Credits)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you want more subtitled telly BBC4 start a repeat of Inspector Montalbano next Saturday
    at 9 pm.

Yes, but in the episode with the President of Turgisia it's mentioned a few times that the evening is like the wedding they never had (the dad even says "Pretend to be married" at one point, to which Laura says, "They ARE married..... Aren't they?" and they avoid answering her ).

You were concentrating better then me:o. They mention it on the Guardian blog. http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/jan/21/borgen-episodes-five-six
    mike65 wrote: »
    If you want more subtitled telly BBC4 start a repeat of Inspector Montalbano next Saturday
    at 9 pm.

BBC4 have it as a new episode rather then a repeat.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01c6dsd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I assumed they were warming us up for the new series. (that's the usual pattern)

Lilyhammer series could provide just the tonic for bereft Borgen fans

BBC hopes Nordic TV import Lilyhammer, starring The Sopranos' Steven Van Zandt, will mirror success of Borgen

For viewers still reeling from the finale of BBC4's Borgen on Saturday night, it will sound like just the tonic. To many others it might sound like the oddest British television acquisition for some time.

Lilyhammer, a Norwegian comic drama starring The Sopranos' Steven Van Zandt, is the latest Scandinavian import to be bought by BBC4, currently on a high after critical acclaim and healthy audiences for a string of Danish and Swedish series.

Van Zandt, who played Silvio Dante in the US drama, stars as a New York mobster who enters the witness protection programme and starts up a new life in Lillehammer, the sleepy Norwegian town he fell in love with while watching the 1994 Olympic Games.

"Lilyhammer mixes sharp wit and American big city ways with the beauty of the Norwegian mountains and folksy nature of a small town – a perfect combination for a razor-sharp drama about cultural mores," said Richard Klein, controller of BBC4.

When the eight part series launched in Norway last month, it drew the highest ratings for a drama premiere. In the US it will be streamed by Netflix.

BBC's head of programme acquisitions, Sue Deeks, said: "Lilyhammer is fresh, funny and offbeat – it makes a highly original addition to BBC4's rich Scandinavian drama slate."

Like Borgen, a tale of power and its affect on individuals and relationships set amid Danish coalition politics, Lilyhammer will mark a move from the crime dramas such as The Killing, which have traditionally dominated subtitled European imports on BBC4 and beyond.

The Danish political drama has proved there is great appetite for quality foreign language TV beyond the crime genre – rating strongly despite lacking the whodunnit quality that ensures viewers return to a show – with audiences gripped by Sidse Babbett Knudsen's central performance as Denmark's first female prime minister.

BBC4 has also bought the second series of the show, which it will air next winter. Its next Scandinavian drama, the Danish/Swedish co-production The Bridge, will air in the spring.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/feb/05/lilyhammer-series-borgen-bbc4-zandt?CMP=EMCMEDEML665

If you can't wait for Lilyhammer to come to the BBC you can apparently watch it on Netflix.
    It is going to be their first original drama and will premiere today.

http://www.reelseo.com/first-original-netflix-series-lilyhammer/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone have a link for season 1 episode 8 please?

I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you

Good ending to Borgen, should be interesting to see where it goes in season 2.

Now I need to watch the Killing.

Lilyhammer should be interesting. I wonder how Silvio ended up in Norway. Norwegian friend tells me to give it a Nordic feeling a character threatened by dangled off a ski jump.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link for season 1 episode 8 please?

Borgen series one is been repeated from next Wednesday (June 13) at 11.00pm on BBC4.

One episode per week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019ch5q

Advertisement