Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU EGM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Jester252 wrote: »
    I would like to see them I just find it odd that when someone post the rumors we told asked him/her for evidenice to back it up. Paddy answer them ( little bit cryptic on some judging from the twitter ) and we accepted them. I think we should ask to see the proof.

I'm sure if you call into Paddy and ask him for proof, he'd have no problem showing you the evidence which he talked about today.

Or at least thats the impression i got today from him

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jester252 wrote: »
    I would like to see them I just find it odd that when someone post the rumors we told asked him/her for evidenice to back it up. Paddy answer them ( little bit cryptic on some judging from the twitter ) and we accepted them. I think we should ask to see the proof.

So ask. It's simple really. They said several times today to just ask. I was tempted to believe the allegations before today, but Paddy seemed really genuine about refuting them. So either he's a fantastic liar, or he's on the level. Personally, I think he's on the level given that there's no proof that he's done anything wrong, and has provided satisfactory explanations for all the allegations made.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

So are the positions abolished immediately or are they carrying on till summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Skyrim wrote: »
    So are the positions abolished immediately or are they carrying on till summer?

They will finish their term and a replacement will not be elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Brains? wrote: »
    It serves the two villages (which is about 1500 people I think??), but for arguments sake we'll say 1000 people, if they all spent E5 each a week in the shop, I know I used to spend that anyway, maybe more sometimes, thats E5000 a week taken in.

I have no idea about wages (even though they didnt let anyone go so the wages is still being paid??) but say it came to E1000 a week, thats still E4000 a week, approx E16,000 a month! Granted you have to factor into account rates, electricity, rent, cost of stock, etc., I dont see it going above that!

So how can it be making a loss? or am I missing out on something here?

Remind me never to make you manager of a shop. You listed stock last. If you've calculating profit based on sales then the first thing you should account for is COGS. Also, based on your assumptions their average turnover is only ~€170 per day. That would be a disappointing low turnover per day for a retail store where you'd assume there isn't a high margin on products.
    My village at home has only like a thousand people and we can support two shops!
    Your village at home isn't composed 100% of students who aren't spending much and have a wide range of places to shop at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Remind me never to make you manager of a shop. You listed stock last. If you've calculating profit based on sales then the first thing you should account for is COGS. Also, based on your assumptions their average turnover is only ~€170 per day. That would be a disappointing low turnover per day for a retail store where you'd assume there isn't a high margin on products.

You village at home isn't composed 100% of students who aren't spending much and have a wide range of places to shop at.

the previous post mentions 'E5000 a week taken in', I presume you misread it as E5000 per month so actually its higher than €170 per day, ~ E1000 per weekday

mid wrote: »
    the previous post mentions 'E5000 a week taken in', I presume you misread it as E5000 per month so actually its higher than €170 per day, ~ E1000 per weekday

Oops, reading never was a strong point :D
    An average of ~€700 per day. That's still not that much. If you say there's a 20% (that might be generous) margin to cover everything after COGS. So that's €1000 to cover wages, light&heat, rent/interest on property, etc...
    I have no idea about wages (even though they didnt let anyone go so the wages is still being paid??) but say it came to E1000 a week ... Granted you have to factor into account rates, electricity, rent

The posters estimate already eats up the whole €1000 per week after COGS on wages alone!
    So how can it be making a loss? or am I missing out on something here??
    Your own example is a loss making example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Brains?

I never said I had the solutions, I'll be the first to admit that :P

I was under the impression that the shop was a service provided by SU, as long as it wasnt making a loss it would still be worthwhile, because it was in the interest of the student body, I have no idea of the proper figures involved, I was just using them as an example, while 'trying' to be realistic :o

and I didn't know the margin on sales was that low, I assumed it was around the 30-40% mark, found what I was missing :P

I'm confusing myself now, easy to see I'm not a business studies student, sorry. . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

phish wrote: »
    The pay for the sabs is for 56 weeks not 52 because they are paid while they train in the next years officer so it is around 28k.

I clean forgot the crossover weeks. I don't think it's been four in a while though. Still wouldn't hit 28k, even adding four weeks though (it'd be around 23.5k, someone else can use my figures from above to reach a more exact amount) - the crossover adds weeks to the beginning of the new people in each year rather than weeks to the beginning and end of both.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

sceptre wrote: »
    I clean forgot the crossover weeks. I don't think it's been four in a while though. Still wouldn't hit 28k, even adding four weeks though (it'd be around 23.5k, someone else can use my figures from above to reach a more exact amount) - the crossover adds weeks to the beginning of the new people in each year rather than weeks to the beginning and end of both.

Did you factor in PRSI, etc? That's what they used to make up the difference in the meeting yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

Hi guys, first time caller long time listener.

I have been following these threads, facebook pages, thomond times, an focal articles etc. for the last number of months and I have to say I have never been so disgusted with a Students' Union in all my life.

I'm back doing a PhD in Limerick this year after being around the block and never have I had such low confidence in a sabbatical team.

I was shocked and appalled at the rumours I heard at the start of last semester about the financial ruin the SU was allegedly in. Having heard it confirmed at the EGM this week I am actually no longer surprised. The accountant asked to give a figure for the approximate debt the students union is in and responds "Sorry I don't have that figure to hand" only to later pass a crumbled piece of paper to the President with a figure of about 300,000? Absolutely ridiculous. Frankly appalling.

Derek Daly, 3 time sabbatical officer asked if he had any idea that the SU was making a debt of 100k per year before now? He says he didn't know? Is he stupid. I mean that in the most genuine of senses, not taking a pot shot at him, but jesus, mary and joseph, how can someone of his stature in the SU not know they were 'living well beyond their means'. I had a lot of respect for Derek Daly before this year started but now I have to wonder was it justified.

Ok, fair enough, Derek Daly isn't an accountant (despite doing an Accounting degree I'm told) so we'll leave him off the hook for the financial mismanagement of the SU over the last 3 years. But what about leadership? Didn't Derek Daly go on leadership meetings in the USA, taking work shops on the topic? Where is his leadership? Two of his sabbatical officers can't stand the sight of each other. One of them makes up false allegations, get's a doey eyed acclompice to post them on boards, then endorses the comments in a blog, then facebooks about it? Do the SU officers need to take a course in 'how to use social networking professionaly as to not to embarrass yourself and your colleagues professionally and personally?". Sending out malicious emails to stab one of your work mates in the back?

I won't even get started on how inappropriate and unprofessional the SU team are with regard to facebook and twitter. I have never, in all my time, ever been so embarrassed by the personal actions of my SU officers. The only people with any sense on the SU seem to be the welfare officer who knows a shut mouth catches no flies and seems not to voice any opinion on anything and the PSU officer who, in my opinion, always operates with the highest of dignity and integrity.

I apologise to Derek if my criticisms of his man management are unfair. I can only imagine how difficult it is to get those pack of clowns in line. But I am fully entitled, as a fully paying student of this college, to criticise him. I think his behaviour leaves a lot to be desired.

With regard to the SU's financial crisis I rejected the rushed decision to dismantle the CSO and CO positions (or what ever they're called). It was too rushed and too little thought out. I think Derek's admin have done enough damage and shouldn't be pulling strings to make a further mess of this once great students' union. I think the CO is bloody foolish with her fairytale about a communications manager etc. This students' union will not be making any new positions next year that are paid. They're broke. They'll be lucky to survive with out making have the clerical staff redundant. This pie in the sky about a communications manager who does the CO job but without the representative obligations is pure fantasy.

People question why the SU officers exist at all. I will tell you. They exist because they are expected to do a mammoth amount of work for 54 weeks. They are expected to burn themselves out doing thier jobs working 60+ hour weeks, every week, running around doing the studetns' bidding. That's what they sign up for, that's why they do it. Few people have the ability to do this for a second term, god only knows how DD does it for 3, he must pace himself. This is why they can't be replaced with salaried positions. Nobody in their right mind would take the job for money inferior to what they'd get in McDonalds. It's too much work for too little pay if you're not in it for financial reward.

This is what will happen next year. The co and cso essential roles will be split amongst the remaining sabbat officers. Someone from journalism course will take over as an focal editor. They will either, sacrafice their QCA to make a decent effort at the role, try and get the paper out on time and with enough articles to fill it, but won't have the time or energy to do the role justice. Another person, probably from the radio/music production course will manage the radio, again they'll keep it ticking over, but when there's only 10 people listening at any time you'll wonder if they'll find the motivation to work on it at the detriment of their grades. There will about as many campaigns next year as this year - **** all, just the typical few, shag, rainbow, mental health etc. They will all fall underneath the radar of the typical student and go unnoticed. the welfare officer isn't going to break his or her heart doing it while they are juggling their other roles.

what else will happen? no one will be held accountable for the financial mess. the su will employ managers and accounts and other guys and spend more money then they'll save trying to come up with solutions.

I think the students' union is a total disgrace this year and if i didn't have contractual obligation to my phd i'd run for president myself and fix it.

jc

with regards to actual pragmatic advice i'd say

ditch the +1 euro wages
    give them all a room in cappavilla each and take 4k out of their salary
    investigate campus life services (a non profit organisation which makes hefty profit) investing in the su
    get a private organisation to take over the dromroe/cappavilla shops, they will run it on a for profit basis (the su will make no profit from this but the students will get a service)
    reduce the monies given to c&s, it is dire finanical times and they need to feel the pinch as well, avg students shoulding be subsidising to the level they are now, people going sailing/rowing/cycling/scuba etc.
    incorporate the receptionist role into a non-su role so her salary comes out of college not su monies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

cambridge wrote: »
    reduce the monies given to c&s, it is dire finanical times and they need to feel the pinch as well, avg students shoulding be subsidising to the level they are now, people going sailing/rowing/cycling/scuba etc.

Hahahahahahahahaha

you really want to try and mess with clubs and societies money ? The SU tried that and it hasnt been working out so great for them. ( it did highlight the fact that there is very little security there for clubs an socs money though )

Clubs and societies money should not be reduced. The SU isnt in this mess because of clubs and societies. In fact the SU in debt to clubs and societies after they used €158,000 of clubs and societies reserve money to bail out the shops, without the consultation of clubs and socs council might I add.

Clubs and socs provide a great service to the students and the effort put in by committee's is phenomenal. Clubs and socs have always operated on a surplus. They never have a debt. The SU got into this mess all on their own.

This isn't about blame. This is about taking the SU out of negative equity. C&S stay in budget because they're given a massive budget that is far beyond reasonable. It's time for the college subsidy of student hobby be curtailed. There is no money left for trips abroad on the capitation fee account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

with regards to actual pragmatic advice i'd say

ditch the +1 euro wages
    give them all a room in cappavilla each and take 4k out of their salary
    investigate campus life services (a non profit organisation which makes hefty profit) investing in the su
    get a private organisation to take over the dromroe/cappavilla shops, they will run it on a for profit basis (the su will make no profit from this but the students will get a service)
    incorporate the receptionist role into a non-su role so her salary comes out of college not su monies.

And that is where you lost me....and you were doing so well!! Why should C&S members suffer because of someone else's f*ck ups??

why do two students make the same point in a row?

C&S are getting too much money. This is obvious. UL have a reputation for being very well funded clubs wise. Especially compared to TCD where you'd have to fight tooth and nail just to get intervarsity fees reimbursed.

I'm afraid it is inevitable. If any SU presidential candiates manifesto promises you that C&S money won't be reduced they are lying or very foolish.

I don't think a 5 or 10% reduction in their capitation fee allocation is unreasonable. I don't even think this is an issue the students get to decide, the college decides what proportions go to the c&S and what goes to the SU am i right in that?

why do two students make the same point in a row?

C&S are getting too much money. This is obvious. UL have a reputation for being very well funded clubs wise. Especially compared to TCD where you'd have to fight tooth and nail just to get intervarsity fees reimbursed.

I'm afraid it is inevitable. If any SU presidential candiates manifesto promises you that C&S money won't be reduced they are lying or very foolish.

I don't think a 5 or 10% reduction in their capitation fee allocation is unreasonable. I don't even think this is an issue the students get to decide, the college decides what proportions go to the c&S and what goes to the SU am i right in that?

As far as I know it's an agreement between the SU and C&S how much capitation goes each way, I know yuppy can clarify this!

Not to be overly blunt but UL is not TCD, therefore, I couldn't care less how they run their IVs. I think any reduction in capitation allocation is completely ridiculous.

It's like reducing childrens allowance to bail out banks, why pick on those who didn't cause they problem??

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    As far as I know it's an agreement between the SU and C&S how much capitation goes each way, I know yuppy can clarify this!

Not to be overly blunt but UL is not TCD, therefore, I couldn't care less how they run their IVs. I think any reduction in capitation allocation is completely ridiculous.

It's like reducing childrens allowance to bail out banks, why pick on those who didn't cause they problem??

Just to play devil's advocate here, how many people are actively taking part in C&S? Would 5000 be a pretty liberal estimate? So why should services be threatened for the other odd 8000 students because of the current situation?

(I don't know the numbers in C&S, so if I'm over/under estimated I apologise)

Look. It's a sh*t situation. No one's disputing that. But as was pointed out earlier, C&S is running a surplus, so cutting capitation to C&S until this mess is sorted would make sense. Surely everyone has to see that? I know no one wants it done, but if it could help stabilise the situation then why not do it?

Sarah, you make the comparison with children's allowance, but let's broaden that. Why should teachers, nurses, Gardaí, etc, etc, be taking pay cuts because of the mistakes made by politicians and bankers? They shouldn't, but it's necessary if the country ever wants to recover.

Not to be overly blunt but UL is not TCD,

You need to make comparisons to know what is appropriate and what isn't. The SU president made number of references to how many officers other colleges have and how much they pay them.
    therefore, I couldn't care less how they run their IVs.

This shows your myopia and we can be grateful you don't have any active role with in the society.
    I think any reduction in capitation allocation is completely ridiculous.

Really? you know nothing.

No it's not. It's like reducing expenditure to the Arts council and the Sports council when the country is bank rupt. Don't make ridiculous comparisons to cover up the fact you don't have a strong argument.

I'd doubt even 2000 people participate in a C&S per year. It's the same groups of people creaming off the top. It's a massive expense, one the university can no longer afford.

I'm not saying shut down clubs and socs, I'm saying reduce their funding by 5-10%, essential activities will still continue, just club members will have to self-finance or fundraise for more funds.

If you continue to offer puerile responses I won't be entertaining your posts much further. If you don't have the guts to consider the big decisions stay off this thread.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Sarah, you make the comparison with children's allowance, but let's broaden that. Why should teachers, nurses, Gardaí, etc, etc, be taking pay cuts because of the mistakes made by politicians and bankers? They shouldn't, but it's necessary if the country ever wants to recover.

That's just another example of people cleaning up after mistakes they didnt make. These people aren't children, the world needs to stand up and take responsibility and not make messes expecting someone to have their back. I point blank refuse to believe C&S funding should be cut. It is also not running at a surplus if my interpretation of the accounts presented at council last week is right.

• Advertisement

No it's not. It's like reducing expenditure to the Arts council and the Sports council when the country is bank rupt. Don't make ridiculous comparisons to cover up the fact you don't have a strong argument.

I'd doubt even 2000 people participate in a C&S per year. It's the same groups of people creaming off the top. It's a massive expense, one the university can no longer afford.

I'm not saying shut down clubs and socs, I'm saying reduce their funding by 5-10%, essential activities will still continue, just club members will have to self-finance or fundraise for more funds.

If you continue to offer puerile responses I won't be entertaining your posts much further. If you don't have the guts to consider the big decisions stay off this thread.

Didn't see this when making my last post.

This doesnt dignify a response. Come back to me when you find some manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Just to play devil's advocate here, how many people are actively taking part in C&S? Would 5000 be a pretty liberal estimate? So why should services be threatened for the other odd 8000 students because of the current situation?

(I don't know the numbers in C&S, so if I'm over/under estimated I apologise)

Look. It's a sh*t situation. No one's disputing that. But as was pointed out earlier, C&S is running a surplus, so cutting capitation to C&S until this mess is sorted would make sense. Surely everyone has to see that? I know no one wants it done, but if it could help stabilise the situation then why not do it?

I'd guess that active members of clubs would probably be a deal lower than 5000 but, than only serves to emphasise your point. A reasonable cut to the c&s budgets could serve to integrate them further into the university through the increased need for innovative and frequent fundraising events.

The pathetic effort of of advertising the recruitment drives just goes to show how both clubs and socs don't really put any significant effort into getting new members and their associated fundings.

That said, if any proposed cuts would have to go to a vote at the EGM, there is no chance they would be passed.

That's just another example of people cleaning up after mistakes they didnt make. These people aren't children, the world needs to stand up and take responsibility and not make messes expecting someone to have their back. I point blank refuse to believe C&S funding should be cut. It is also not running at a surplus if my interpretation of the accounts presented at council last week is right.

Yes, that's exactly what it is. But, if the worst comes to the worst, are you willing to let the SU fold? Let the shop in the courtyard close? The common room, pool room, music room, all SU facilities close? The simple fact is, if money is not cut, then the SU is unsustainable. I don't like it, it saddens me to even suggest cutting money from C&S when they've been managing their affairs so well, but I refuse to rule it out as an option.

Mudge spoke yesterday about the choices that had to be made. Well it's a simple choice. You can stand up and say "No way in hell are the SU touching any more of the C&S funds!!", and you're perfectly entitled to take that position, but then you'd face some of the measures he spoke of; the SU building closing at 7pm (thus making it harder for C&S to organise events), staff layoffs, etc. Or, you realise that these are extraordinary times, and C&S engage in a dialogue with the SU to discuss lowering the capitation they get for the medium term future.

We have to be realistic, not idealistic here. Idealism is fine, but that's not going to get the SU's budget balanced again. Fact.

Yes, that's exactly what it is. But, if the worst comes to the worst, are you willing to let the SU fold? Let the shop in the courtyard close? The common room, pool room, music room, all SU facilities close? The simple fact is, if money is not cut, then the SU is unsustainable. I don't like it, it saddens me to even suggest cutting money from C&S when they've been managing their affairs so well, but I refuse to rule it out as an option.

Mudge spoke yesterday about the choices that had to be made. Well it's a simple choice. You can stand up and say "No way in hell are the SU touching any more of the C&S funds!!", and you're perfectly entitled to take that position, but then you'd face some of the measures he spoke of; the SU building closing at 7pm (thus making it harder for C&S to organise events), staff layoffs, etc. Or, you realise that these are extraordinary times, and C&S engage in a dialogue with the SU to discuss lowering the capitation they get for the medium term future.

We have to be realistic, not idealistic here. Idealism is fine, but that's not going to get the SU's budget balanced again. Fact.

There are plenty of ways to claw back the debt. A bit of innovation would go a long way. Mudge is trying to deal with mistakes made by a previous GM and he shouldn't have to but, hey, life isn't perfect.

There are plenty of ways to claw back the debt. A bit of innovation would go a long way. Mudge is trying to deal with mistakes made by a previous GM and he shouldn't have to but, hey, life isn't perfect.

I agree completely.

Look, I'm not saying C&S funds should, or have to be cut. I'm simply trying to make the point that it's a realistic option that shouldn't just be shot down at first mention. (Well, I guess not really, as it would never pass a vote at council...)

I agree completely.

Look, I'm not saying C&S funds should, or have to be cut. I'm simply trying to make the point that it's a realistic option that shouldn't just be shot down at first mention. (Well, I guess not really, as it would never pass a vote at council...)

It is an option and I can accept that it's probably gonna come up at some stage, just not one I believe to be the solution to ULSU's problems.

:)

As far as I know it's an agreement between the SU and C&S how much capitation goes each way

Yes, but there's more to it.
    It's a HEA recommendation and the University supports the split (refer to the present C&S working group documents).

It is an option and I can accept that it's probably gonna come up at some stage, just not one I believe to be the solution to ULSU's problems.

:)

I don't think it's the solution either. I just envision it playing a part in the overall solution.

I don't think it's the solution either. I just envision it playing a part in the overall solution.

You're right, I phrased that badly.

I can accept that at some time it may very well be necessary but I think it should be a very last resort.

• Advertisement

Well done, it only took you 10 messages of toing and froing to realise i was right all the time.

Advertisement